The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I do research that is available to everyone.

I swear you sit in on all their meetings given what you have in your posts. LOL

When are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?

We have a supposed 2nd pair capable player sitting in the press box because he being outplayed by two rookies,

There was a strong chance that Stone would come in in the 2nd game of a B2B, but they are going with exactly the same lineup.

From BP:

"What I like to do is reward the guys who are playing well and we're coming off a real good effort," said Peters. "And who would you take out? How do you justify taking someone out now? If guys are dinged up and you're playing three in four, that's a little bit different. If the travel is excessive, that's a little bit different. Again, it was easy travel, guys played well, guys deserve to stay in. When you're out, you gotta dig in (to get back in). And when you're in the lineup, you gotta play well to stay in. That's the competition of it and it's a good healthy competition and we're lucky to have it."

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?

We have a supposed 2nd pair capable player sitting in the press box because he being outplayed by two rookies,

There was a strong chance that Stone would come in in the 2nd game of a B2B, but they are going with exactly the same lineup.

From BP:

"What I like to do is reward the guys who are playing well and we're coming off a real good effort," said Peters. "And who would you take out? How do you justify taking someone out now? If guys are dinged up and you're playing three in four, that's a little bit different. If the travel is excessive, that's a little bit different. Again, it was easy travel, guys played well, guys deserve to stay in. When you're out, you gotta dig in (to get back in). And when you're in the lineup, you gotta play well to stay in. That's the competition of it and it's a good healthy competition and we're lucky to have it."

My thoughts are Brodie and Stone should work from the 3rd pairing and try to trade one or the other come the TDL.

Andersson is doing well when with Giordano while Hamonic and Hanifin seem well matched so far. They should put Prout through waivers to Stockton so he is at least playing some hockey. Bring up Rychel for a look on LW.

Stone being scratched is an elephant in the room?

It's exactly what we wanted all off season.....

56 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Stone being scratched is an elephant in the room?

It's exactly what we wanted all off season.....

No trade value if he's being outplayed.

Not good enough to come back in unless somebod stumbles.

Signed for another year after this.

It's becomming like Wideman.  Can;t trade him unless he shows he can play.  Can;t play him because he makes us worse.  15 team M-NTC.

We have 8 healthy D-men and I would play Prout in a game where some toughness is needed.

There are teams that are light on D.  Perhaps they are havng trouble convincing him to waive his NTC?

Or they just want the depth.

Seems a waste to have $3.5m scratched and have limited cap space for the reat of the season.

What would you prefer to do with him?

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's becomming like Wideman.  Can;t trade him unless he shows he can play.  Can;t play him because he makes us worse.  15 team M-NTC.

We have 8 healthy D-men and I would play Prout in a game where some toughness is needed.

There are teams that are light on D.  Perhaps they are havng trouble convincing him to waive his NTC?

Seems a waste to have $3.5m scratched and have limited cap space for the reat of the season.

Stone is serviceable, quit making it sound like he is not even NHL standard. At this time of the season most rosters are full with who the respected GMs wanted or have their own unmoveable contracts. Stone for now is expensive depth and I don't think BT has a problem with Stone.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Wasn't much, if any, trade value to begin with. 

I want the best 6 dmen on the ice and so far that isn't Stone so if he sits the whole season that's fine by me. Can trade or buyout in the off-season. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wasn't much, if any, trade value to begin with. 

I want the best 6 dmen on the ice and so far that isn't Stone so if he sits the whole season that's fine by me. Can trade or buyout in the off-season. 

If that's where he ends up, fine.

Need to get rid of the cap hit by summer.

It's nice to have the depth at defense, we will need Stone to play top 6 minutes at some point this season due to injuries or inconsistent play from our other D.

54 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It's nice to have the depth at defense, we will need Stone to play top 6 minutes at some point this season due to injuries or inconsistent play from our other D.

Top 6 as in 3rd pairing?

Or are you referring to top 4?

TBH, if Stone is needed to play top 4 this season, we'se in big trouble.  ;)

So if I have this right here are the forward lines from last night's game.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Backlund, Neal

Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik

Dube, Ryan, Hathaway

So if we follow the bouncing ball BP seems to think Tkachuk and Backlund are a pair.

Bennett will be stuck on LW with Jankowski and Frolik as our new checking line.

Dube, Ryan and Hathaway provide some energy here and there.

Last night's win is great but is it any wonder there is limited scoring happening for most of the game.

Are we really trying to turn Backlund into a 3 goal scorer at the expense of taking away what he does best with Frolik.

BT brings in Neal and Ryan both have been rendered useless thus far.

I really hope all these different line looks are leading to a better conclusion with BP.

I have given up trying to figure out who is playing with who on defense.

12 hours ago, MAC331 said:

So if I have this right here are the forward lines from last night's game.

Tkachuk, Backlund, Neal

Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik

Dube, Ryan, Hathaway

So if we follow the bouncing ball BP seems to think Tkachuk and Backlund are a pair.

Bennett will be stuck on LW with Jankowski and Frolik as our new checking line.

Dube, Ryan and Hathaway provide some energy here and there.

Last night's win is great but is it any wonder there is limited scoring happening for most of the game.

Are we really trying to turn Backlund into a 3 goal scorer at the expense of taking away what he does best with Frolik.

BT brings in Neal and Ryan both have been rendered useless thus far.

I really hope all these different line looks are leading to a better conclusion with BP.

I have given up trying to figure out who is playing with who on defense.

Lindholm's speed and great shot have worked wonders with Gaudreau.  Neal and Bennett are building good chemistry, including Bennett's substantial improvement versus season's past.  Tkachuk works wherever he is.  Saying the above, BP has a lot of flexibility and isn't afraid to change things up if the situation demands it or someone is really going in a particular game.  It seems to be working.  Last time I checked the Flames are first in the Pacific, even with inconsistencies figuring stuff out.  

9 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Lindholm's speed and great shot have worked wonders with Gaudreau.  Neal and Bennett are building good chemistry, including Bennett's substantial improvement versus season's past.  Tkachuk works wherever he is.  Saying the above, BP has a lot of flexibility and isn't afraid to change things up if the situation demands it or someone is really going in a particular game.  It seems to be working.  Last time I checked the Flames are first in the Pacific, even with inconsistencies figuring stuff out.  

When their on I like what I see, the past few games are an example of that. There are some issues that need to get hammered out quick however. 1) Is our PP, the weakest point right now 2) Need depth scoring, our top line is carrying the load again. Neal, Bennett, Dube, Janko, Ryan, Backs, have to step up

3) Consistency, If we play the way we have this team is good, let off the gas they are horrific.

You can see the dam is about to burst with Janko, Neal, Dube and especially Bennett how many posts and early whistles has this kid gotten. The lines out side of the top line is a juggling act to me. Neal on the top line makes no sense to me he just doesn't have the speed, need to balance it out. Frankly the biggest disappointment for me has been Ryan, guy is over rated. I see Dube, Neal and Bennett getting out the funk here shortly. Just imagine if our PP was on and we had depth scoring with the way we are playing now, how good would we look

10 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Listen all I'm doing is giving my view points on what I think could have this team be even better than it is already. What does "really going in a game" warrant within a game ? Does it mean you just throw Dube up on RW top line if he scores from the 4th line ? Personally I don't prefer to see this and believe it to be more important for the longevity of the season to get proper line chemistry going for the team. This hasn't happened yet IMO and where they are in the standings today doesn't mean squat, its all about where we end up and that doesn't happen by accident.

Any updates on Jankowski?  He got rocked by Cole on a blindside hit and while it was contact to the shoulder, it appears Jankowski's chin hit the ice hard.  

Also, Bennett didn't play another shift after that fight too.  Hand injury maybe?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Any updates on Jankowski?  He got rocked by Cole on a blindside hit and while it was contact to the shoulder, it appears Jankowski's chin hit the ice hard.  

Also, Bennett didn't play another shift after that fight too.  Hand injury maybe?

I think Peters said that the numbers were off and he decided to role 3 lines. There was only one extra forward or something like that in the end, (Bennett?) so combined with Bennett sitting for the 5 min major and 10 min misconduct, he felt he sat too long to get him out there, too cold.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think Peters said that the numbers were off and he decided to role 3 lines. There was only one extra forward or something like that in the end, (Bennett?) so combined with Bennett sitting for the 5 min major and 10 min misconduct, he felt he sat too long to get him out there, too cold.

Yeah good explanation, I think both are fine.

Interesting to note the lines being tried now

Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik

Bennett, Jankowski, Neal

Dube, Ryan, Hathaway

Czarnik, is he injured or a healthy sit out ? Haven't heard.

These are good combinations to run with, not the best IMO but some good results are happening.

DEFENSE

It seems the Giordano, Brodie pairs is like the 3M line they don't dare break them up. I preferred the vet with youth approach and Andersson looked great with Giordano. I think playing with Giordano does something for ones confidence. Hanifin and Hamonic look good so far together. Impressed with the mature composure of Valimaki, he is the real deal.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I can't pull up the shift chart but i'm about 90% sure I saw Bennett get a couple shifts towards the end of the game. Peters had Dube and Ryan with Monahan for the 3rd period and then I thought the last 2 times he used that line he went with Bennett - Monahan - Ryan as Bennett did sit for most of the 3rd period in the box. 

I know Jankowski made it back to the bench after the quiet room but didn't get a shift I don't recall. Could be injury, but I would agree its more probable that Peters just shortned his bench to aid in the comeback.

From Peters post game it sounds like he is planning on putting Neal with Backlund. I am reading between the lines, but they may interchange Frolik and Neal for games against teams with a potent top line. In this case they played Frolik with Backlund to shut down the Mackinnon line. 

Just now, kehatch said:

From Peters post game it sounds like he is planning on putting Neal with Backlund. I am reading between the lines, but they may interchange Frolik and Neal for games against teams with a potent top line. In this case they played Frolik with Backlund to shut down the Mackinnon line. 

I heard this and really like it. It's smart and I like the flexibility Peters is willing to use to adjust to the opponent and situation and not get stuck in the trap of thinking lines always have to stay together to be successful stuff. 

47 minutes ago, kehatch said:

The only reason this would show some scoring ability is Tkachuk being a playmaker. It begs the question, what is he is trying to achieve ? I would rather see some set lines that allow the newbies to get established and deal from there.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

The only reason this would show some scoring ability is Tkachuk being a playmaker. It begs the question, what is he is trying to achieve ? I would rather see some set lines that allow the newbies to get established and deal from there.

The 3M lines managed to shut down the MacKinnon line.  They did the same thing to the Bergeron line when we played Boston.  I like the idea of putting them out for those teams with super lines.  I also am okay with the idea of switching things up to play more balanced teams where you need to spread out the defense and get a bit more output from the Backlund line.  

That said, I don't love the idea of Neal with the line. Tkachuk and him lack speed and Backlund is mediocre offensively.  I see that as a big miss match.  That said, it is probably worth a try to get Neal going.  

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

The 3M lines managed to shut down the MacKinnon line.  They did the same thing to the Bergeron line when we played Boston.  I like the idea of putting them out for those teams with super lines.  I also am okay with the idea of switching things up to play more balanced teams where you need to spread out the defense and get a bit more output from the Backlund line.  

That said, I don't love the idea of Neal with the line. Tkachuk and him lack speed and Backlund is mediocre offensively.  I see that as a big miss match.  That said, it is probably worth a try to get Neal going.  

Considering that Neal buried a JH pass, I think there may be some chemistry there.  No reason why Lindholm can;t play with Backlund and Tkachuk, or center Bennett and someone else.  Having flexibility like that and making adjustments as the game unfolds is better than line blender.  

Last night was a game where even Ryan played decently.  Not happy to use him on the PP so much, but maybe he'll get better.  The 2nd unit does little anyway.  Perhaps they just need to insert Ras or Valimaki into the PP.  Both are good at manning the point.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps they just need to insert Ras or Valimaki into the PP.  Both are good at manning the point.

Really hoping to see Ras on the PP soon. He's done such a good job at keeping plays alive, that I think on his own he'd make PP2 better.

17 hours ago, kehatch said:

I am going to quit mentioning this and maybe eventually BP sees the light to form the line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal. Backlund and Frolik belong together with any sut down line they put together, I just think Tkachuk is being wasted there. They could use either Ryan or Dube for the same results.