The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I am going to quit mentioning this and maybe eventually BP sees the light to form the line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal. Backlund and Frolik belong together with any sut down line they put together, I just think Tkachuk is being wasted there. They could use either Ryan or Dube for the same results.

Couple of questions:

1) When Bennett plays center, what is he like defensively?  Considering that he likes to play deep, and the defense activate, whose covering for the defense?  

2) How much better do you think Tkachuk could be with Bennett and Neal.  Both are struggling to score, while Tkachuk is having his best start to any season.  It's not all Backlund and Frolik, so I don;t see him being 'wasted".  

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Couple of questions:

1) When Bennett plays center, what is he like defensively?  Considering that he likes to play deep, and the defense activate, whose covering for the defense?  

2) How much better do you think Tkachuk could be with Bennett and Neal.  Both are struggling to score, while Tkachuk is having his best start to any season.  It's not all Backlund and Frolik, so I don;t see him being 'wasted".  

If Bennett has learned anything well these past 3 seasons its how to play defense, hardly a concern IMO.

Watch Tkachuk's assists go up feeding these two. Do you honestly think Bennett and Neal will not start potting more opportunities ?

If you can't see it I'm not going to try and change your mind.

29 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If Bennett has learned anything well these past 3 seasons its how to play defense, hardly a concern IMO.

Watch Tkachuk's assists go up feeding these two. Do you honestly think Bennett and Neal will not start potting more opportunities ?

Can't see it.  Only Gio has more assists on this team than Tkachuk at present.  Move him up to the top line and he may increase his totals, but I don't see any evidence that Tkachuk would help Bennett become a better center for Tkachuk than Backlund or Monahan.    

Playing in the D-zone and playing defensively as a center are two different things.  I'm not saying he sucks as a center, just that he hasn't played enough of it in recent years to put him back there with a top offensive threat and a perennial 20 goal guy.  Personally, I like the way he is playing right now and expect him to start converting on those missed opportunities (posts, missed shots over the net, quick whistles).  Same for Neal.  I would prefer to see Bennett play a faster game, where he isn't trying to go through players and instead is looking for open spots.

Things can change.  He may get that opportunity with any injuries.  Right now he is contributing where he is.  Intangibles and chances.  He's already looking better than last season.  The goals will come.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Can't see it.  Only Gio has more assists on this team than Tkachuk at present.  Move him up to the top line and he may increase his totals, but I don't see any evidence that Tkachuk would help Bennett become a better center for Tkachuk than Backlund or Monahan.    

Playing in the D-zone and playing defensively as a center are two different things.  I'm not saying he sucks as a center, just that he hasn't played enough of it in recent years to put him back there with a top offensive threat and a perennial 20 goal guy.  Personally, I like the way he is playing right now and expect him to start converting on those missed opportunities (posts, missed shots over the net, quick whistles).  Same for Neal.  I would prefer to see Bennett play a faster game, where he isn't trying to go through players and instead is looking for open spots.

Things can change.  He may get that opportunity with any injuries.  Right now he is contributing where he is.  Intangibles and chances.  He's already looking better than last season.  The goals will come.

That is fine you don't see a lot of things I do.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

That is fine you don't see a lot of things I do.

I once saw a purple cat, but there were no pink mice anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I once saw a purple cat, but there were no pink mice anywhere. 

Good for you

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

But it’s a zero sum game, as Frolik has 5 goals, the same as Monahan.  Since Backlund is the shutdown line, he will play tons of minutes out of necessity, based on what the other team does.  Putting Tkachuk with Bennett and Neal, on the third line just puts Tkachuk with fewer minutes and elevates a lessor player to the 2nd line, ie with Backlund.  The only real option to enhance Tkachuk’s TOI is either put him with Monahan or switch out Frolik.  Both are problematic since they both are outstanding where they are.

15 hours ago, cccsberg said:

But it’s a zero sum game, as Frolik has 5 goals, the same as Monahan.  Since Backlund is the shutdown line, he will play tons of minutes out of necessity, based on what the other team does.  Putting Tkachuk with Bennett and Neal, on the third line just puts Tkachuk with fewer minutes and elevates a lessor player to the 2nd line, ie with Backlund.  The only real option to enhance Tkachuk’s TOI is either put him with Monahan or switch out Frolik.  Both are problematic since they both are outstanding where they are.

Doesn't matter, things will change and the good thing is the talent is here to accommodate change.

I was impressed with the line of Bennett, Ryan and Frolik last night, looks like a line that can handle shut down duties and secondary scoring.

The good thing right now is they have the right players playing top 6 minutes and situations.

I don't know if Dube ended up with a concussion or what but the 4th line didn't see much if any 3rd period action at all last night. I hope Dube is OK and would like to see Czarnik back in action. Hathaway almost has a pattern of 2 or 3 energy games and fades away.

I understand results speak for themselves however I would still like to see Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan. If they get a lot of offense zone draws etc they can make their defense work and we would hopefully get Neal going. I just don't feel it with Neal on Backlund's line and would rather see a fellow Swede Lindholm with him and Tkachuk. Lindholm is a good overall player like Frolik but better as a face off option and scoring touch. Coming off last game I was impressed with the line of Bennett, Ryan and Frolik. There was a lot of hustle and spark there. I prefer this forward set up.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm

Bennett, Ryan, Frolik

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

Rychel                  Hathaway (these two would be better options for the California swings)

DEFENSE is coming together with the right players on the ice.

GOAL Smith simply needs to get better and Rittich has been good for us.

Go FLAMES Go

There is a decent chance that Dube will be out for Wednesday's game against the Ducks.  He was not on the ice for the practice prior to flying to Anaheim.  That leaves them 12 forwards healthy.  

Practice Line today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

No surprises on the D pairs.  They have worked well.  Neal is back up with Tkachuk and Bacllund, which is how they ended against CGI.

Janko to the 4th line, which isn't that surprising for a number of reasons.  One, he's LHS and leaving Ryan on the 4th sets up a line of all RHS's.  Two, he's been MIA for some games.  Some of it was due to game score and needing to shorten the lines, but he was technically the 3rd line C.  Frolik is a jack-knife, so he can slot in anywhere.  With Bennett and Ryan (really Bennett), they become a decent shut down line, but Bennett has also shown chemistry with Frolik.  Have to get that line scoring.

Mangiapane was the best player other than Dube in TC.  If they want to ensure they have at least one healthy spare forward, they need to waive Prout and recall Mangiapane.  Either that or Dube is going on IR.  I'm actually surprised he hasn't been placed there.  The concussion protocol he's going through should have released him back to practice if he was symptom free, even if it was no-contact.  If he's not at practice, then he's probably not going to travel with the team.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There is a decent chance that Dube will be out for Wednesday's game against the Ducks.  He was not on the ice for the practice prior to flying to Anaheim.  That leaves them 12 forwards healthy.  

Practice Line today:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

No surprises on the D pairs.  They have worked well.  Neal is back up with Tkachuk and Bacllund, which is how they ended against CGI.

Janko to the 4th line, which isn't that surprising for a number of reasons.  One, he's LHS and leaving Ryan on the 4th sets up a line of all RHS's.  Two, he's been MIA for some games.  Some of it was due to game score and needing to shorten the lines, but he was technically the 3rd line C.  Frolik is a jack-knife, so he can slot in anywhere.  With Bennett and Ryan (really Bennett), they become a decent shut down line, but Bennett has also shown chemistry with Frolik.  Have to get that line scoring.

Mangiapane was the best player other than Dube in TC.  If they want to ensure they have at least one healthy spare forward, they need to waive Prout and recall Mangiapane.  Either that or Dube is going on IR.  I'm actually surprised he hasn't been placed there.  The concussion protocol he's going through should have released him back to practice if he was symptom free, even if it was no-contact.  If he's not at practice, then he's probably not going to travel with the team.

Could it be a different injury? 

Concussions take awhile too, but maybe a small shoulder injury. But I guess if he isn’t skating then it is probably a concussion.

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Could it be a different injury? 

Concussions take awhile too, but maybe a small shoulder injury. But I guess if he isn’t skating then it is probably a concussion.

The only thing BP ever said was that he has to undergo the protocol, not just during the game.

Mentioned 48 hours, but they will evaluate every day, since it can change.

There is some concern that traveling with a possible concussion can set it back.

No, I have no inside info.  He could need dental surgery.  But the way the coach talked after the game, he was only being evaluated for one thing.

Dube in concussion protocol right now according to coach Peters. #FlamesNHLFlames.png
9:57 AM - 6 Nov 2018

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing BP ever said was that he has to undergo the protocol, not just during the game.

Mentioned 48 hours, but they will evaluate every day, since it can change.

There is some concern that traveling with a possible concussion can set it back.

No, I have no inside info.  He could need dental surgery.  But the way the coach talked after the game, he was only being evaluated for one thing.

Dube in concussion protocol right now according to coach Peters. #FlamesNHLFlames.png
9:57 AM - 6 Nov 2018

That hit was nasty. Worried his head looked like it literally squeezed and compressed.

I'd be shocked if he isn't concussed.

I'm definitely worried for the kid based on appearances. My personal opinion is that was the perfect storm to kill someone on the ice for where his head hit with force behind it. I can't even watch that play again. He nearly had his skull crushed imho.

It could be neck or head but I do feel bad for Dube.  He got "dinged" by Gudbranson in the first game.  He never seemed quite right after that.  And now this.  This one looks like it's going to set him back a month or more.

If he get another big hit to the head within this year, then his career is going to be over before it has a chance to begin.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It could be neck or head but I do feel bad for Dube.  He got "dinged" by Gudbranson in the first game.  He never seemed quite right after that.  And now this.  This one looks like it's going to set him back a month or more.

If he get another big hit to the head within this year, then his career is going to be over before it has a chance to begin.

This has always been the biggest knock for me on Dube, he gets hurt a lot. I think he would have been a first round pick in his draft it wasn't for an injury he suffered that limited his 2nd half. 

Some are bad luck, some due to his style, but it's always a concern i've had. 

Dube on IR, Peluso gets the call up.  :wacko:

Okay, I think I can understand that Czarnik becomes the 12th forward and Peluso the 13th.  

But this flies in the face of earning your spot on the roster.

Peluso has earned nothing.

Peluso won't draw in tonight against the Ducks.  

Against the Kings?  Don't really need him.

Sharks?  No.

No games then until Thursday against Montreal.

As a guy to be paid to eat popcorn?  Fine, as long as that's what he's doing.

EDIT - IR effective November 3rd, meaning Dube could actually be available against the Kings.

Don't know how final this is, but.......

#FlamesNHLFlames.png⁠ projected⁠ lines and pairings vs. #Ducks:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Smith (Starter)

Rittich

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Don't know how final this is, but.......

#FlamesNHLFlames.png⁠ projected⁠ lines and pairings vs. #Ducks:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Smith (Starter)

Rittich

BB answers questions about protecting players and mentions his concept, and adopted by BT, was to always dress a fighter to take care of business.

The idea that you basically play 11 forwards and 1 face puncher playing 5 minutes, makes everybody happy because there's more ice time to go around for everyone and plus everyone feels safe out there.

In 15 games, Dube has been light up twice, Jankowski once, Gaudreau takes elbow to the head among other cheapshots, etc.  There's 67 more games to go.  Better dress a deterrent and keep everyone else safer.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

BB answers questions about protecting players and mentions his concept, and adopted by BT, was to always dress a fighter to take care of business.

The idea that you basically play 11 forwards and 1 face puncher playing 5 minutes, makes everybody happy because there's more ice time to go around for everyone and plus everyone feels safe out there.

In 15 games, Dube has been light up twice, Jankowski once, Gaudreau takes elbow to the head among other cheapshots, etc.  There's 67 more games to go.  Better dress a deterrent and keep everyone else safer.

I'm sure that the Oilers feel so much safe out there with Lucic playing 3rd line minutes.  They can feel so much better about losing, knowing that Lucic is there to hack a guy in the heel and sit on him until the melee breaks out.

So, maybe BT is calling the shots about who plays, but the question of whether Hathaway or Peluso plays tonight comes down to the coach.

BP said he hasn't decided yet.  Line rushes not withstanding.

In two of 3 games (can't recall the other), a big hit on a Flames player has resulted in a player stepping up.  Neither was named Peluso. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

In two of 3 games (can't recall the other), a big hit on a Flames player has resulted in a player stepping up.  Neither was named Peluso. 

Ya, and one got his face broken as a result.  Wish his name was Peluso instead of Hamonic.  The thing is deterrent.  

And yes, Lucic sitting on someone proves a point.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm sure that the Oilers feel so much safe out there with Lucic playing 3rd line minutes.  They can feel so much better about losing, knowing that Lucic is there to hack a guy in the heel and sit on him until the melee breaks out.

So, maybe BT is calling the shots about who plays, but the question of whether Hathaway or Peluso plays tonight comes down to the coach.

BP said he hasn't decided yet.  Line rushes not withstanding.

I didnt see what happened after the hit against Chicago but having a knuckle duster in the lineup would have prevented Hamonic from getting a broken face against Vancouver. If Bennett had to step up against a heavyweight the same thing could have happened. I'm not saying there need to be a tough guy dressed all the time but there are teams/players that do take more liberties with smaller players than others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya, and one got his face broken as a result.  Wish his name was Peluso instead of Hamonic.  The thing is deterrent.  

And yes, Lucic sitting on someone proves a point.

The point it proved is that the Oilers (at Least Lucic) decided that a roughing up of a player, not a fight, proved he had no desire to attempt a comeback.  If Lucic had have resorted to fighting a guy, it would have made more sense.  

I would rather watch hockey than knuckle draggers. Having said that, I would rather watch knuckle draggers than have to deal with this crap all of the time. Coaches are considered fools for not dressing a goon when their players get knocked around. If they dress a goon every game, then they are wasting talent. Somehow, they are expected to know what to do.

The NHL needs to make a decision of whether they want fighting in the game or not. If they truly don't want it in the game, then suspend players who take head shots or smash players hard for a year or longer. They are trying to strike a balance and I think they are alienating almost everyone. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The point it proved is that the Oilers (at Least Lucic) decided that a roughing up of a player, not a fight, proved he had no desire to attempt a comeback.  If Lucic had have resorted to fighting a guy, it would have made more sense.  

Well, are nucleur weapons necessary?  No one's ever used them.  How do we know they work to protect us?

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, are nucleur weapons necessary?  No one's ever used them.  How do we know they work to protect us?

Tell Hiroshima that