The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Don't know how final this is, but.......

#FlamesNHLFlames.png⁠ projected⁠ lines and pairings vs. #Ducks:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Smith (Starter)

Rittich

Some of the thinking around lines is crazy. I was hoping BP would start playing Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan. Taking Frolik off Backlund's line and adding Lindholm for more pop and no loss of defensive effectiveness makes more sense IMO.

What do we even need Peluso for and then put Czarnik on his wrong wing. Delutes all 3 players effectiveness.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Some of the thinking around lines is crazy. I was hoping BP would start playing Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan. Taking Frolik off Backlund's line and adding Lindholm for more pop and no loss of defensive effectiveness makes more sense IMO.

What do we even need Peluso for and then put Czarnik on his wrong wing. Delutes all 3 players effectiveness.

Peluso will play 5 minutes, and the rest will be played by Neal or Lindholm or Jh or what ever.  It's that or Hathaway playing 10 minutes.

No, I don;t agree with the choice on the 4th line.

If a LW is out, there were better options, even for one game.

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

or 

Rychel-Janko-Czarnik

We lack goal scoring coming from the bottom 6.

Mangiapane is over a p/gp in Stockton, just like last year.

Rychel is close, albeit 3 were in one game.

The thing about the other lines is that the top line is taking way more D-zone faceoffs than last season.  The 2nd line is not exclusively being used to shut down, especially on the road.  Considering that the last game ended with this top 6 configuration, I have no issue with it.  Gives Neal more icetime.  Continues with one of the top scoring top lines in the league.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We are the second highest scoring team in the NHL.  What more do you expect? We need to cut down goals against and cut down taking massive hits.  Peluso will help with the latter.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We are the second highest scoring team in the NHL.  What more do you expect? We need to cut down goals against and cut down taking massive hits.  Peluso will help with the latter.

That 69% of those goals not have to come from the top line.  They're on fire now but all it takes is a scoring slump from them and then what? Secondary scoring has been an issue in recent years, this year is no different.

14 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

That 69% of those goals not have to come from the top line.  They're on fire now but all it takes is a scoring slump from them and then what? Secondary scoring has been an issue in recent years, this year is no different.

Then the other three lines need to allow no goals against.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

One line is all you took from my post?  :D

Considering that we lack scoring from both the PP and bottom 6, we could be the highest by a big margin.

We need to limit high danger chances.

Because our starter sucks most nights.

Havng a face puncher isn't going to help that.

A bazooka is only useful when you use it at some point.

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Peluso will play 5 minutes, and the rest will be played by Neal or Lindholm or Jh or what ever.  It's that or Hathaway playing 10 minutes.

No, I don;t agree with the choice on the 4th line.

If a LW is out, there were better options, even for one game.

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

or 

Rychel-Janko-Czarnik

Mangiapane is over a p/gp in Stockton, just like last year.

Rychel is close, albeit 3 were in one game.

The thing about the other lines is that the top line is taking way more D-zone faceoffs than last season.  The 2nd line is not exclusively being used to shut down, especially on the road.  Considering that the last game ended with this top 6 configuration, I have no issue with it.  Gives Neal more icetime.  Continues with one of the top scoring top lines in the league.

Just an observation but what they are trying to do by using Backlund for more offense isn't working. I initially thought in could but no longer. I actually think we need to elevate Jankowski off the 4th line and consider this alignment for our forwards.

Gaudreau, Monahan. Neal ( give them the majority of offense zone face offs) allow them to play a more possession game.

Tkachuk, Jankowski, Lindholm ( Jankowski looks ready for this challenge and with Lindholm we don't lose much if anything from a defensive standpoint)
Bennett, Backlund, Frolik  (this could literally be one of the best shutdown lines with scoring ability in the NHL)

Dube, Ryan, Czarnik (If all this line did was provide some secondary shut down BUZZ and pop in a few here and there we should be happy)

Rychel          Hathaway

This is simply fine tuning required by BP.

Our Goalie and a few defensemen named Giordano and Hanifin let us down last night. The rest was a to much sloppy play and not burying our chances. We didn't play our best but still could have won the game.

Go FLAMES Go

The ANA game is and should be on Smith. The 1st and 2nd goals you have to be better than that. We are in a top spot with poor goal tending, a cool PP while only playing 20 minutes a game. Just imagine if they actually decided to play a full 60 minutes and with a lead

Despite Smith allowing 3 goals, the Flames should have been able to score 3 or more on Anaheim's porous defense.

Some may argue that this loss may weigh heaviest on Smith's shoulders; but IMO, not gaining at least one point in the standings was on the team overall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Despite Smith allowing 3 goals, the Flames should have been able to score 3 or more on Anaheim's porous defense.

Some may argue that this loss may weigh heaviest on Smith's shoulders; but IMO, not gaining at least one point in the standings was on the team overall.

That isn't fair. The Flames have bailed out Smith a number of times, and they dominated Anaheim for nearly the entire game.  If we continue to have league worst goal tending from our starter then the games like the one in Anaheim will become standard.  

49 minutes ago, kehatch said:

That isn't fair. The Flames have bailed out Smith a number of times, and they dominated Anaheim for nearly the entire game.  If we continue to have league worst goal tending from our starter then the games like the one in Anaheim will become standard.  

I can see what 420 means. There were a lot of chances that didn’t get buried. We need to bury them in the future. 

But like you said, they played well enough to win and if goaltending was solid we would have won 2-1, Maybe. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I can see what 420 means. There were a lot of chances that didn’t get buried. We need to bury them in the future. 

But like you said, they played well enough to win and if goaltending was solid we would have won 2-1, Maybe. 

At the very least it should have remained tied for longer than one shift.  He was not in any good position to make the 2nd save.  He gave up the post and made it very easy. He flopped forward when the shot went behind him. 

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

Start praying

Tonight's lineup features the return of Stone.

His last game was against PITTS.

We went  5-1-1 since he started eating popcorn.

Teaching moment?

Or just need a possible scapegoat for tonight with Smith in net.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Teaching moment?

I honestly don't think its anything other than the coaching staff wanting to get him in to a game.

Like you said, he's sat for 7 straight, and if there's an injury he will be the one to slot in, so it makes sense keeping him game ready.

He's a fresh body coming in to the end of a b2b, so while I don't like the decision, I do understand why.

22 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I honestly don't think its anything other than the coaching staff wanting to get him in to a game.

Like you said, he's sat for 7 straight, and if there's an injury he will be the one to slot in, so it makes sense keeping him game ready.

He's a fresh body coming in to the end of a b2b, so while I don't like the decision, I do understand why.

Mixed messages.

On one hand, coach says that you only take out a player when he's not playing well.

That's why Czarnik stayed out so long.

On the other hand, coach says he needs everyone to stay fresh.

8D, meaning one player needs to come out to keep somebody fresh.

On the 3rd hand, coach says that playing in the B2B has something to do with it.

If Ras had played the most minutes last night, it would make sense.  He played the least.

It's not the end of the world, just one of those things that you look back on after the results are in.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Teaching moment?

Is Ras confirmed not playing?  I think Hanifin has been our worst D the last two weeks.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Is Ras confirmed not playing?  I think Hanifin has been our worst D the last two weeks.

Ras is out.

Per Ward.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:18 AM, MAC331 said:

Just an observation but what they are trying to do by using Backlund for more offense isn't working. I initially thought in could but no longer. I actually think we need to elevate Jankowski off the 4th line and consider this alignment for our forwards.

Gaudreau, Monahan. Neal ( give them the majority of offense zone face offs) allow them to play a more possession game.

Tkachuk, Jankowski, Lindholm ( Jankowski looks ready for this challenge and with Lindholm we don't lose much if anything from a defensive standpoint)
Bennett, Backlund, Frolik  (this could literally be one of the best shutdown lines with scoring ability in the NHL)

Dube, Ryan, Czarnik (If all this line did was provide some secondary shut down BUZZ and pop in a few here and there we should be happy)

Rychel          Hathaway

This is simply fine tuning required by BP.

Our Goalie and a few defensemen named Giordano and Hanifin let us down last night. The rest was a to much sloppy play and not burying our chances. We didn't play our best but still could have won the game.

Go FLAMES Go

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I don't know what went on with Neal last night but BP and him need to have a talk.

Just my 2 cents but Backlund has never become the offensive force people thought and he isn't going to now. I am beginning to think Bennett is turning out to be the same thing.

Put Bennett, Backlund and Frolik together and we cold have one of the best checking lines in hockey IMO and they will get their goals in a secondary capacity.

We need to build a second scoring line and that IMO would be Tkachuk, Jankowski and Lindholm. I watch the current line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm in the offensive zone and so long as they have open ice they are fine, the minute it goes to the boards they lose the puck. This is where Neal should be able to play an instrumental purpose on that line. Tkachuk and Jankowski are both good on the boards which Lindholm as a skater and sniper should be a huge boost on a line such as this one.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know what went on with Neal last night but BP and him need to have a talk.

Just my 2 cents but Backlund has never become the offensive force people thought and he isn't going to now. I am beginning to think Bennett is turning out to be the same thing.

Put Bennett, Backlund and Frolik together and we cold have one of the best checking lines in hockey IMO and they will get their goals in a secondary capacity.

We need to build a second scoring line and that IMO would be Tkachuk, Jankowski and Lindholm. I watch the current line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm in the offensive zone and so long as they have open ice they are fine, the minute it goes to the boards they lose the puck. This is where Neal should be able to play an instrumental purpose on that line. Tkachuk and Jankowski are both good on the boards which Lindholm as a skater and sniper should be a huge boost on a line such as this one.

Ya I think we have to try,

Tkachuk - Jankowski - Neal

Bennett - Backlund - Frolik

Since Janko got clotheslined by Cole, he's woken up and you can see the jump in his stride again.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I think we have to try,

Tkachuk - Jankowski - Neal

Bennett - Backlund - Frolik

Since Janko got clotheslined by Cole, he's woken up and you can see the jump in his stride again.

I know many will say don't mess with what is working on the top line with Lindholm there. My take is Lindholm's goals could be Neal's if he were there on that line. The added dimension to have Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan IMO would or should be better puck possession within the offensive zone. Both Neal and Lindholm are good players and snipers, I would like to see BP try something to get Neal more involved. My guess is Neal came here thinking he would be playing with Gaudreau and Monahan but it has turned into a much different situation for him.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I know many will say don't mess with what is working on the top line with Lindholm there. My take is Lindholm's goals could be Neal's if he were there on that line. The added dimension to have Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan IMO would or should be better puck possession within the offensive zone. Both Neal and Lindholm are good players and snipers, I would like to see BP try something to get Neal more involved. My guess is Neal came here thinking he would be playing with Gaudreau and Monahan but it has turned into a much different situation for him.

An alternative that might be worth a shot is Lindholm Centering Neal.  Lindholm has good speed and good passing.  Frolik is a clutch sniper when he gets the chance... So I think maybe Frolik can spot the top line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Frolik

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal

Bennett - Backlund - Ryan

While Neal’s play has been very inconsistent and frustrating, his career has been one of scoring in bunches. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see him score 5 in the next 6 and then his numbers aren’t looking so bad anymore 

Also, Bennett had 6 shots last night to lead the team. At some point things are going to turn. Key thing will be to stick with it. He’s playing his best hockey since his rookie year and I think he will end up in the 15+ goal range once the tide starts turning for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

An alternative that might be worth a shot is Lindholm Centering Neal.  Lindholm has good speed and good passing.  Frolik is a clutch sniper when he gets the chance... So I think maybe Frolik can spot the top line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Frolik

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal

Bennett - Backlund - Ryan

I like your lines, but I don’t like Ryan for some reason. Maybe he’ll start scoring. 

Id try Czarnik there though.