The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I like your lines, but I don’t like Ryan for some reason. Maybe he’ll start scoring. 

Id try Czarnik there though.

Ya Ryan has been a huge bust. 

Supposedly great at faceoffs and RHS.  We are seeing a guy barely better than Lazar, if even.  A 31-year-old at $3.15-mil for 3 years, OMG.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

An alternative that might be worth a shot is Lindholm Centering Neal.  Lindholm has good speed and good passing.  Frolik is a clutch sniper when he gets the chance... So I think maybe Frolik can spot the top line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Frolik

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal

Bennett - Backlund - Ryan

No I wouldn't do that mainly because these two Neal and Lindholm were brought in to help on RW I believe. Ryan was brought in to be a C. Let's get back to why we brought them here. Teams need to grow and address required changes for the better. Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik was good for him initially but now if we want more out of him he needs to be with better offensive players IMO. Bennett we keep hoping he will start scoring but so far not however he has brought other elements to his game that better fits with Backlund and Frolik. Ryan is a good player but Jankowski could be an exceptional talent given the minutes. Ryan more belongs on the 4th line than Jankowski and this wouldn't be a bad thing, could make us even better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Supposedly great at faceoffs and RHS.  We are seeing a guy barely better than Lazar, if even.  A 31-year-old at $3.15-mil for 3 years, OMG.

I disagree he has been a bust. He is a smart player, you can see it. He just needs to settle in at the right position.

52 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

While Neal’s play has been very inconsistent and frustrating, his career has been one of scoring in bunches. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see him score 5 in the next 6 and then his numbers aren’t looking so bad anymore 

Also, Bennett had 6 shots last night to lead the team. At some point things are going to turn. Key thing will be to stick with it. He’s playing his best hockey since his rookie year and I think he will end up in the 15+ goal range once the tide starts turning for him

Would you have Bennett with Backlund and Frolik ?

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

At least Lazar plays more physical.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yeah, if there are still other teams interested, I'd be moving on from him pretty quickly. 

Love. 

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

At least Lazar plays more physical.

I don't think he has had a chance to shine yet but will never be flashy. I like him for the 4th line if he wins faceoffs and works a line that controls the play away from the opposition. We don't need Ryan to be a star, just a good reliable C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

An alternative that might be worth a shot is Lindholm Centering Neal.  Lindholm has good speed and good passing.  Frolik is a clutch sniper when he gets the chance... So I think maybe Frolik can spot the top line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Frolik

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal

Bennett - Backlund - Ryan

I still think that Neal on the top line makes the most sense.

He's a finisher.  Playing with Bennett, Ryan, Dube, Backlund, Janko isn;t bringing that out in him.

Before you move Backund off Tkachuk's line, perhaps you need to fix the issues on faceoffs.

Backlund is barely above 50%.  When you count on him for important draws, you are probably ending up without the puck.

We have a bunch of C's that can play RW, and they can offer support on the dot.  Use them.

Johnny-Monahan-Neal                     Neal and Monahan are there to finish, with an elite playmaker on the wing.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm            Lindholm is super smart defensively, can finsih or get the puck to Tkachuk.  HElps on the dot too.

Bennett-Janko-Ryan                        Janko gets the backup on the dot he needs.  This is a very north/south line.  Has some speed.

Dube/Rychel-Czarnik-Hathaway      This would be a hard working team.  Bring up Rychel to provide some size in case there is lingering issues with Dube.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I still think that Neal on the top line makes the most sense.

He's a finisher.  Playing with Bennett, Ryan, Dube, Backlund, Janko isn;t bringing that out in him.

Before you move Backund off Tkachuk's line, perhaps you need to fix the issues on faceoffs.

Backlund is barely above 50%.  When you count on him for important draws, you are probably ending up without the puck.

We have a bunch of C's that can play RW, and they can offer support on the dot.  Use them.

Johnny-Monahan-Neal                     Neal and Monahan are there to finish, with an elite playmaker on the wing.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm            Lindholm is super smart defensively, can finsih or get the puck to Tkachuk.  HElps on the dot too.

Bennett-Janko-Ryan                        Janko gets the backup on the dot he needs.  This is a very north/south line.  Has some speed.

Dube/Rychel-Czarnik-Hathaway      This would be a hard working team.  Bring up Rychel to provide some size in case there is lingering issues with Dube.

I suggested that line of Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm initially if they wanted to try and get more offense out of Backlund. Worth a try IMO I agree with you here.

You have forgotten Frolik and I liked what I saw of Bennett, Ryan and Frolik which also gives you faceoff options from both hands.

This all leave Jankowski on the 4th line and I think he is trying to work his way off that line but we will have to stay tuned with BP as coach it appears.

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I suggested that line of Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm initially if they wanted to try and get more offense out of Backlund. Worth a try IMO I agree with you here.

You have forgotten Frolik and I liked what I saw of Bennett, Ryan and Frolik which also gives you faceoff options from both hands.

This all leave Jankowski on the 4th line and I think he is trying to work his way off that line but we will have to stay tuned with BP as coach it appears.

Figures.  I thought about using him with Bennett, but thought Ryan would be a better choice for faceoff ability.  Then I forgot about Frolik.

So, that means the 4th line is Frolik-Czarnik/Dube-Hathaway. 

Honestly, of all the "bottom 6" players, only Janko seems to be the only one capable of scoring.

Bennett is getting far too many chances to score and not finishing.  

It's frustrating to watch.

Telegraphs his shots, and a stick always seems to be there just in time.

Misses top corner.  Does the shot have to be perfect?

I guess what I am saying is mix up the lines a bit.  Backlund is not a good fit for most players it seems.

The top line has dried up a bit, so time to play the guy most expected to be there.

Just make sure you split up the snakebitten guys.  

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Figures.  I thought about using him with Bennett, but thought Ryan would be a better choice for faceoff ability.  Then I forgot about Frolik.

So, that means the 4th line is Frolik-Czarnik/Dube-Hathaway. 

Honestly, of all the "bottom 6" players, only Janko seems to be the only one capable of scoring.

Bennett is getting far too many chances to score and not finishing.  

It's frustrating to watch.

Telegraphs his shots, and a stick always seems to be there just in time.

Misses top corner.  Does the shot have to be perfect?

I guess what I am saying is mix up the lines a bit.  Backlund is not a good fit for most players it seems.

The top line has dried up a bit, so time to play the guy most expected to be there.

Just make sure you split up the snakebitten guys.  

I think it is time to give Jankowski some recognition for how hard he is working. He is talented but our most underrated player.

I could live with Bennett, Backlund, Frolik all day long. I think they would be awesome together.

26 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think it is time to give Jankowski some recognition for how hard he is working. He is talented but our most underrated player.

I could live with Bennett, Backlund, Frolik all day long. I think they would be awesome together.

That was the reason to bump up Janko to the 3rd line.

It doesn't impact any pairs in the top 9.

Bennett-Janko played well together at times.

Tkachuk-Backlund has been a staple and Tkachuk is still able to put up close to 50 points.

Johnny-Monahan has been one of the best pairs in the NHL in the last few years.

All I am suggesting is building on those pairs.

Neal becomes a top line sniper, like he should be here.

Lindholm stays on RW and adds a sriper/playmaker to help Tkachuk.  Helps Backs win more faceoffs.

Ryan allow a RHS option to take draws with Janko.  The line is no slouch defensvely.  More won faceoffs to boot.

4th line is all energy, but Frolik adds stability.  He is the go-to guy on PK's as well. 

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That was the reason to bump up Janko to the 3rd line.

It doesn't impact any pairs in the top 9.

Bennett-Janko played well together at times.

Tkachuk-Backlund has been a staple and Tkachuk is still able to put up close to 50 points.

Johnny-Monahan has been one of the best pairs in the NHL in the last few years.

All I am suggesting is building on those pairs.

Neal becomes a top line sniper, like he should be here.

Lindholm stays on RW and adds a sriper/playmaker to help Tkachuk.  Helps Backs win more faceoffs.

Ryan allow a RHS option to take draws with Janko.  The line is no slouch defensvely.  More won faceoffs to boot.

4th line is all energy, but Frolik adds stability.  He is the go-to guy on PK's as well. 

You see I don't recognise Tkachuk and Backlund as a pair at all. if you have been watching so far it looks like Backlund is disfunctional without Frolik.

I don't see how putting Bennett, Jankowski and Ryan together gets any of them any further advanced. I will stick with my suggested lines.

I think it's time to pull Lindholm from the top line. He has been good there, but we are wasting Neal and I am starting to get worried about that contract. We also need to balance the lines a bit.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

Dube-Jankowski-Czarnik 

This would balance the top 9 and hopefully get Ryan and Neal going. 

25 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I think it's time to pull Lindholm from the top line. He has been good there, but we are wasting Neal and I am starting to get worried about that contract. We also need to balance the lines a bit.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

Dube-Jankowski-Czarnik 

Lines/pairings from today (Dube just has to pass one test to be cleared for Thursday):

Gaudreau – Monahan – Lindholm
Tkachuk – Backlund – Bennett
Dube – Jankowski – Neal
Frolik – Ryan – Hathaway

Giordano – Brodie
Hanifin – Hamonic
Valimaki – Andersson

Smith in starter's net.

Seems obvious that Bennett is getting some love for his compete level.  Probably a better fit on Backlund's defensive line than Neal, but come on.  Neal was not the reason why two goals were scored with the 2nd line on the ice.  Maybe Peters didn't like his work ethic or something, but the top line hasn't been on fire either.

I do like the way Janko has been playing (BP said he's been playing his best hockey of the season), so combining him with Neal might help the big guy.  I'm not a fan of constantly giving Ryan a free pass and Czarnik the stands, but Ryan wins faceoffs and tries every game.  

I'm with you on playing Neal on the top line.  I would counter your suggestion slightly by swapping Frolik and Bennett.  Backlund hasn't been good enough recently (last 3 games) to benefit Tkachuk or Frolik. 

Starting Smith on Thursday is curious.  I would have thought they would go back to Rittich and play Smith against EDM.  Maybe it's the right call, but it leaves Rittich sporting a shutout/win and Smith coming off a loss where he stopped everything but a bad goal and one he had no chance on.

Here's how I would start against the Habs:

Gaudreau – Monahan – Neal
Tkachuk – Lindholm – Frolik
Bennett – Backlund – Ryan
Dube – Janko – Hathaway

Giordano – Brodie
Hanifin – Hamonic
Valimaki – Andersson

Rittich against MTL and Smith against EDM (where he won game against them).

The Flames haven't been able to finish the last three games. The only reason we got a win is because Rittich got the shut out. Neal is one of the better finishers in the game, time to put him in a position to use that skill. He doesn't fit on the Backlund line. So put him on the top line. 

I don't like Smith starting. I get it. He is supposedly our starter and he is coming off a strong game. But Rittich is coming off a better game and has much better numbers. He also has a winning record (unlike Smith). Time to stop sacrificing the team to try and get Smith on a run and award the guy that has been delivering. 

16 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I don't like Smith starting. I get it. 

I don't like Neal on the top line.  I get it.  But Neal hasn't done anything to warrant being up there.  Moreover, Lindholm hasn't done anything to warrant being taken off that line.

But I get it. We need to spread the scoring around and maybe another combination can get two lines scoring consistently.

5 minutes ago, kehatch said:

The Flames haven't been able to finish the last three games. The only reason we got a win is because Rittich got the shut out. Neal is one of the better finishers in the game, time to put him in a position to use that skill. He doesn't fit on the Backlund line. So put him on the top line. 

I don't like Smith starting. I get it. He is supposedly our starter and he is coming off a strong game. But Rittich is coming off a better game and has much better numbers. He also has a winning record (unlike Smith). Time to stop sacrificing the team to try and get Smith on a run and award the guy that has been delivering. 

Agree with you first paragraph.  Play has fallen off with the top line.

Smith.....hmmm.

Last 3 games:

COL - WIN - weak game.  5 GA.

ANA - LOSS - gave away the game. 3 GA

SJS - LOSS - let in a weak goal 50 seconds in.  Rebounded but first goal really hurt. 2 GA.

Rittich

Last 3 games:

BUFF - WIN - 1 GA

CHI - WIN - 3 GA

LA - WIN - 0 GA

I could care less about getting Smith going at this point.  He is what he is.

Follows up a shutout with a loss (STL).

Sits a game and wins next start (BOS).

Follows up a win with a loss (NSH).

Sits two, comes back with a loss, a shoot out loss and a win.

Sits out one, comes back with a shoddy win (COL).

Sits out one, comes back in with a loss.

Sits out one, comes back with a loss.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Lines/pairings from today (Dube just has to pass one test to be cleared for Thursday):

Gaudreau – Monahan – Lindholm
Tkachuk – Backlund – Bennett
Dube – Jankowski – Neal
Frolik – Ryan – Hathaway

Giordano – Brodie
Hanifin – Hamonic
Valimaki – Andersson

Smith in starter's net.

Seems obvious that Bennett is getting some love for his compete level.  Probably a better fit on Backlund's defensive line than Neal, but come on.  Neal was not the reason why two goals were scored with the 2nd line on the ice.  Maybe Peters didn't like his work ethic or something, but the top line hasn't been on fire either.

I do like the way Janko has been playing (BP said he's been playing his best hockey of the season), so combining him with Neal might help the big guy.  I'm not a fan of constantly giving Ryan a free pass and Czarnik the stands, but Ryan wins faceoffs and tries every game.  

I'm with you on playing Neal on the top line.  I would counter your suggestion slightly by swapping Frolik and Bennett.  Backlund hasn't been good enough recently (last 3 games) to benefit Tkachuk or Frolik. 

Starting Smith on Thursday is curious.  I would have thought they would go back to Rittich and play Smith against EDM.  Maybe it's the right call, but it leaves Rittich sporting a shutout/win and Smith coming off a loss where he stopped everything but a bad goal and one he had no chance on.

Here's how I would start against the Habs:

Gaudreau – Monahan – Neal
Tkachuk – Lindholm – Frolik
Bennett – Backlund – Ryan
Dube – Janko – Hathaway

Giordano – Brodie
Hanifin – Hamonic
Valimaki – Andersson

Rittich against MTL and Smith against EDM (where he won game against them).

This is probably the most well rounded option we have. a 1a and 1b scoring line, A d-zone shutdown line and an energy line that still has a good amount of offensive potential. Plus with Neal, Chucky, Bennett, and Hathaway spread out theres always someone who can/will do the dirty work on the boards.

Neal's effort level is seriously lacking, IMO he doesn't belong in the top 6 because he hasn't earned it. It isn't even that he isnt scoring, where is the pain in the Hash Rate Neal that everyone hates playing against? Most nights he is basically invisible. I am hopeful he will work his way out of it, but so far this signing is worse than the Brouwer signing.

4 hours ago, kehatch said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

Dube-Jankowski-Czarnik 

Why do you want Bennett going over to RW and having to learn another off wing position. I don't agree. I also don't think you use Ryan as a RW if you want the best out of him.

Anyways we won't resolve it here, it's BP that needs to come to some realizations and fast IMO.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Neal's effort level is seriously lacking, IMO he doesn't belong in the top 6 because he hasn't earned it. It isn't even that he isnt scoring, where is the pain in the Hash Rate Neal that everyone hates playing against? Most nights he is basically invisible. I am hopeful he will work his way out of it, but so far this signing is worse than the Brouwer signing.

What sound reasoning, let's just concentrate on making things worse.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Right or wrong, we need to get him going. Putting him in the right line is the best way to do it. If we don't that contract will be terrible soon. 

I wonder if we can move Neal in a package to get Nylander. Neal, Andersson, and a pick for example. 

18 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Right or wrong, we need to get him going. Putting him in the right line is the best way to do it. If we don't that contract will be terrible soon. 

I wonder if we can move Neal in a package to get Nylander. Neal, Andersson, and a pick for example. 

I wouldn't even want to include Andersson lol. I think he has top pairing potential, he's already shown he's top 4 capable. Maybe Hamonic and Neal but Hamonic wants to stay out West.