The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

4 minutes ago, Squilliam89 said:

I wouldn't even want to include Andersson lol. I think he has top pairing potential, he's already shown he's top 4 capable. Maybe Hamonic and Neal but Hamonic wants to stay out West. 

If you are making a trade worth making, chances are you are going to lose someone you don't want to. But with Kylington, Valimaki, and Hanafin (plus Stone) we can afford to trade Andersson. 

Chances are Toronto doesn't want Neal though. 

I would hate to see the complaining if we were playing terrible hockey. LOL

Some of these comments are bordering ridiculous.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Neal's effort level is seriously lacking, IMO he doesn't belong in the top 6 because he hasn't earned it. It isn't even that he isnt scoring, where is the pain in the Hash Rate Neal that everyone hates playing against? Most nights he is basically invisible. I am hopeful he will work his way out of it, but so far this signing is worse than the Brouwer signing.

He's been better lately but he still doesn't look like he deserves to be on the top line.  This is indeed looking as bad as the Brouwer signing.

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

I wonder if we can move Neal in a package to get Nylander. Neal, Andersson, and a pick for example. 

If we move a D, then it needs to be for Goaltending.  We have decent scoring but we can't stop the puck.  

In fairness I think to Neal, his usage since he's been here has been pretty puzzling to say the least. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In fairness I think to Neal, his usage since he's been here has been pretty puzzling to say the least. 

Ya honestly, if Peters cannot find use in Neal, then we need to trade him badly.  We can't afford a $5.75-mil 3rd line grinder/veteran.  It's a luxury item, not a need.  We already talk like Frolik is a luxury we cannot afford on the 3rd line.  

To me, we have 3 elite level play makers on this team.  Gaudreau, Lindholm, and Tkachuk.  Neal is a finisher who needs to be played with at least one of these guys.  He's rarely with Tkachuk as Peters has gone to the 3M line often.  This has left Neal with Bennett (an island to himself) and a combination of Jankowski and Ryan.  Neither are elite play makers who can use Neal's elite shooting skills.  It's a waste.  Neal's intangibles aren't worth $5.75-mil.  We can get that from Lomberg with a simple phone call.

I think this is one of the rare times a GM needs to intervene on coaching decisions. Peters is making the decision because Neal doesn't fit well on the Backlund line and the top line has been working. So he has put him on a third line with rotating linemates. It's a justifiable decision. But the results aren't something the GM should be willing to tolerate. 

6 hours ago, kehatch said:

I think this is one of the rare times a GM needs to intervene on coaching decisions. Peters is making the decision because Neal doesn't fit well on the Backlund line and the top line has been working. So he has put him on a third line with rotating linemates. It's a justifiable decision. But the results aren't something the GM should be willing to tolerate. 

I tend to agree.  Has Ryan done enough to justify playing between Bennett and Neal?  Not really.

Is Ryan a good fit at center with either player?  The proof is in the lack of scoring.

Neal is going to score on the rush, and getting rebounds.

That tends to point to one line only and that's the top line, considering the way the lines are set up.

Neal with JH and Monahan seems like a great fit, and has barely even seen the light of day.

Neal with Lindholm seems like a fit as well.

TBH, I don't think it's Neal's fault he isn't scoring.  It's hard to make something out of nothing.  He plays with Backlund and Tkachuk for a few games, where they didn't look that good.  Are you blaming Neal for Backlund having two bad games?  Is it Neal's fault Tkachuk get's a stick in the face and gives up the puck in the D-zone and stops playing?

Play Ryan where he belongs.  RW on the 3d with Bennett and Janko or center on the 4th line where he can win faceoffs and get the line going in the right direction.

I think putting Neal on the top line is a horrible idea, first of all it would really slow down that line, Monahan isn't the fastest guys and Neal is even slower, secondly Gaudreau and Monahan are already suspect in their own zone, Neal is easily  the worst defensive forward on the team, if you put Neal on the top line they will end up chasing the puck a lot.

I just don't see the fit for Neal on that line.

IMO Neal has been a very lazy player, I never thought of him as being a fast player, but I didn't think he was this slow. He makes Tkachuk and Monahan look like speedsters. I do put majority of the blame for Neal's lack of scoring on Neal, he just hasn't been good enough.

I guess you can try him on the top line but I wouldn't expect anything different than what you already getting from him.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He's been better lately but he still doesn't look like he deserves to be on the top line.  This is indeed looking as bad as the Brouwer signing.

Deserve should have nothing to do with a decision surrounding Neal. BT spent a lot of money in FA to bring in Neal and my guess is it was to play top line. Now we have a coach that wanted to try something else out with Lindholm to help out Monahan and it has worked. The question becomes, now what ?

My answer is you either put Neal where he was expecting to play (top line) or you create another line built around scoring that doesn't include Backlund.

This line IMO would be Tkachuk, Jankowski and Neal.

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think putting Neal on the top line is a horrible idea, first of all it would really slow down that line, Monahan isn't the fastest guys and Neal is even slower, secondly Gaudreau and Monahan are already suspect in their own zone, Neal is easily  the worst defensive forward on the team, if you put Neal on the top line they will end up chasing the puck a lot.

I just don't see the fit for Neal on that line.

IMO Neal has been a very lazy player, I never thought of him as being a fast player, but I didn't think he was this slow. He makes Tkachuk and Monahan look like speedsters. I do put majority of the blame for Neal's lack of scoring on Neal, he just hasn't been good enough.

I guess you can try him on the top line but I wouldn't expect anything different than what you already getting from him.

You must be one in a million with that viewpoint.

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I tend to agree.  Has Ryan done enough to justify playing between Bennett and Neal?  Not really.

Is Ryan a good fit at center with either player?  The proof is in the lack of scoring.

Neal is going to score on the rush, and getting rebounds.

That tends to point to one line only and that's the top line, considering the way the lines are set up.

Neal with JH and Monahan seems like a great fit, and has barely even seen the light of day.

Neal with Lindholm seems like a fit as well.

TBH, I don't think it's Neal's fault he isn't scoring.  It's hard to make something out of nothing.  He plays with Backlund and Tkachuk for a few games, where they didn't look that good.  Are you blaming Neal for Backlund having two bad games?  Is it Neal's fault Tkachuk get's a stick in the face and gives up the puck in the D-zone and stops playing?

Play Ryan where he belongs.  RW on the 3d with Bennett and Janko or center on the 4th line where he can win faceoffs and get the line going in the right direction.

Ryan belongs as our 4th line C and should play up as needed if injuries happen.

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

Agreed. I read something that really concerns me about BP and how he mixes his top 9 freely within a game depending on who is showing good. ?????

Seriously with the number of new team mates and having your group settle in with each other, ow can this be a good strategy for now ?

I thought he was using October to find some line chemistry not that we were seeing his manner of operating.

Here we are discussing a player such as Neal who has been productive his whole career being rendered useless. Something needs to give here.

30 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Lol no bro.  That's a pretty consensus viewpoint.  Neal hasn't been showing top line material this season.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lol no bro.  That's a pretty consensus viewpoint.  Neal hasn't been showing top line material this season.

OK make that 2 in a million.

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

There is no possible way you can say that Neal has played well or given any kind of effort.  

I don't get it, with Gulutzan every one was complaining that he gave veterans ice time and played them when they didn't deserve it. Now we are complaining that Peters is holding players accountable and making  everyone earn their playing time. Which one is it? 

I wouldn't play Neal in the top 6 because he just hasn't earned it. I would get him going by setting him up for one timers on the 2nd PP. 

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

OK make that 2 in a million.

If you listen to Sportsnet 960 the general consensus is that Neal hasn't played well enough and that he needs to up the effort level.

Would it really hurt the team or chemistry to stick Neal on that top line for a game? At worst, nothing happens and we lose 2 points.

At best, he gets his crap together and starts contributing to get back to 20+ a season.

Likely somewhere in between. Worth the shot, imo

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If you listen to Sportsnet 960 the general consensus is that Neal hasn't played well enough and that he needs to up the effort level.

You mean Pinder and Steinberg?  With Wills mixed in?

I find them a little too....wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Davis1891 said:

Would it really hurt the team or chemistry to stick Neal on that top line for a game? At worst, nothing happens and we lose 2 points.

At best, he gets his crap together and starts contributing to get back to 20+ a season.

I also think we've seen less than desireable results from more than just Neal.

He's making the same as Hanifin, but Hanifin has a reliable partner to cover his mistakes.

11 minutes ago, Davis1891 said:

I really hate the whole "get guys going" philosophy.  I get it.  I know we need to find combinations that benefits the whole team but still, guys need to get going by themselves.  

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You mean Pinder and Steinberg?  With Wills mixed in?

I find them a little too....wrong.  

I also heard it on the morning show. Rhett was saying that Neal probably feels like he doesn't need to earn his ice time because he is a proven vet, but that the coach is saying that everyone earns their playing time. He said that Neal probably just isn't going to fit in with this coach. Boomer made a comment that Friedman said that Neal has a bit of a reputation for being pouty when he doesn't get his way. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

There is no possible way you can say that Neal has played well or given any kind of effort.  

I don't get it, with Gulutzan every one was complaining that he gave veterans ice time and played them when they didn't deserve it. Now we are complaining that Peters is holding players accountable and making  everyone earn their playing time. Which one is it? 

I wouldn't play Neal in the top 6 because he just hasn't earned it. I would get him going by setting him up for one timers on the 2nd PP. 

You don't seem to have any kind of handle on what all goes into having players play at their optimum best. This is the highest professional level not Little League. The Coach or at least to be a successful Coach you need to put players in a position to perform and succeed. I see BP having a few problems getting this part right.

1 hour ago, Davis1891 said:

The problem would be the one game part. Players need to get use to playing with each other. Everyone is looking for fantastic results from small sample trials of mixing lines. This IMO is starting to work against BP as a Coach.

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I also heard it on the morning show. Rhett was saying that Neal probably feels like he doesn't need to earn his ice time because he is a proven vet, but that the coach is saying that everyone earns their playing time. He said that Neal probably just isn't going to fit in with this coach. Boomer made a comment that Friedman said that Neal has a bit of a reputation for being pouty when he doesn't get his way. 

This would be up to Neal to get his head around. I put myself in Neal's shoes expecting to play with Gaudreau and Monahan on the way in and the Coach has other ideas. We don't know what was said to get Neal here and believe me he had other options. BP also appears to be riding this thought that Backlund is going to turn into some huge scoring machine by staying with Tkachuk (isn't happening) all it is doing is holding back Tkachuk. Anyways they need to talk this out and start getting things right, it isn't good when one of your top guns rides the pine for a full period in a tight game.