Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Recommended Posts

Question of the Day. Could Tkachuk turn Bennett into the 30 goal scorer Gaudreau has done for Monahan ?

It seems with hockey if you find a line that works to a certain degree you should leave well enough alone. Fair enough.

Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm has proven to be effective.

The line of Tkachuk, Backlund and Frolik has been effective however we need Backlund and Frolik for a more important shutdown role.

From the beginning with Tkachuk I thought him and Bennett had a similar aggressive mentality that could work together. I also think putting an 18 year old Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik would be good for him and it has been, The time has come for Tkachuk and Bennett to be put together IMO but with Bennett back at C and a seasoned offensive force like Neal with them. We cant leave all the heavy lifting for offense with Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm. We need this second scoring line now.

I like the idea of Dube, Backlund and Frolik as our primary shutdown line because they can do the job, Dube will learn tons and they all can score.

The way it has been going with Ryan, Jankowski, Czarnik and Hathaway I would have faith to use any combination of these players 4th line and work them into some PP units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Question of the Day. Could Tkachuk turn Bennett into the 30 goal scorer Gaudreau has done for Monahan ?

It seems with hockey if you find a line that works to a certain degree you should leave well enough alone. Fair enough.

Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm has proven to be effective.

The line of Tkachuk, Backlund and Frolik has been effective however we need Backlund and Frolik for a more important shutdown role.

From the beginning with Tkachuk I thought him and Bennett had a similar aggressive mentality that could work together. I also think putting an 18 year old Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik would be good for him and it has been, The time has come for Tkachuk and Bennett to be put together IMO but with Bennett back at C and a seasoned offensive force like Neal with them. We cant leave all the heavy lifting for offense with Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm. We need this second scoring line now.

I like the idea of Dube, Backlund and Frolik as our primary shutdown line because they can do the job, Dube will learn tons and they all can score.

The way it has been going with Ryan, Jankowski, Czarnik and Hathaway I would have faith to use any combination of these players 4th line and work them into some PP units.

My guess would be no. Mony plays a different game than Bennett and has a far better shot.

It might be time to put Neal on 1st RW. 2nd line Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

I like your 3rd with Dube-Backs-Frolik.

But tbh, I'm all over the map with lineups.

Try everything!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it time to move Hanifin to the bottom pairing and promote Valimaki with Hamonic?  Does Hanifin - Andersson scare us?  Valimaki is the more steady and defensively reliable D.  Could form a stud shut down duo with Hamonic.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is it time to move Hanifin to the bottom pairing and promote Valimaki with Hamonic?  Does Hanifin - Andersson scare us?  Valimaki is the more steady and defensively reliable D.  Could form a stud shut down duo with Hamonic.  Thoughts?

That's a tough call. I think HANdersson should be a pair eventually and agree Vali-Ham will be a good pairing.

I'm just not sure it's time yet, generally because Hanifin needs Hamonic's steady play rn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is it time to move Hanifin to the bottom pairing and promote Valimaki with Hamonic?  Does Hanifin - Andersson scare us?  Valimaki is the more steady and defensively reliable D.  Could form a stud shut down duo with Hamonic.  Thoughts?

 

Hanifin-Hamonic has been mostly good, since Hammer can cover up Hani's mistakes.

You could opt to use any of these options, though, without a noticeable drop in play.

 

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Brodie

Valimaki-Hamonic        Each young D gets a vet to play with.

 

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Hamonic        Top pair intact, rookies with establish (if not old) D-men.

 

Gio-Hamonic

Hanifin-Brodie

Valimaki-Andersson     Brodie swaps with Hammer.  Better defensive top pair, faster skating 2nd pair.        

 

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Brodie           Both rookies get vets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

My guess would be no. Mony plays a different game than Bennett and has a far better shot.

It might be time to put Neal on 1st RW. 2nd line Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

I like your 3rd with Dube-Backs-Frolik.

But tbh, I'm all over the map with lineups.

Try everything!:)

I beg to differ with this kind of thinking.

Monahan and Gaudreau with a similar quiet style that works for them.

Both Tkachuk and Bennett have an aggressive nature with Tkachuk as the more intelligent playmaker talent. I still think Bennett knows how to pull the trigger and if not Neal does. I think this line could be dynomite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Hanifin-Hamonic has been mostly good, since Hammer can cover up Hani's mistakes.

You could opt to use any of these options, though, without a noticeable drop in play.

 

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Brodie

Valimaki-Hamonic        Each young D gets a vet to play with.

 

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Hamonic        Top pair intact, rookies with establish (if not old) D-men.

 

Gio-Hamonic

Hanifin-Brodie

Valimaki-Andersson     Brodie swaps with Hammer.  Better defensive top pair, faster skating 2nd pair.        

 

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Brodie           Both rookies get vets.  

What is it with everyone not wanting to see players settle in wit each other ? This is the only way they get to knowhow to read each other so they can play better together. If BP starts moving our D around every time one of them makes a few mistakes we will have bigger problems. Giordano got beat at least 3 times last game does that mean we should put him with Stone ? Reeks of desperation around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What is it with everyone not wanting to see players settle in wit each other ? This is the only way they get to knowhow to read each other so they can play better together. If BP starts moving our D around every time one of them makes a few mistakes we will have bigger problems. Giordano got beat at least 3 times last game does that mean we should put him with Stone ? Reeks of desperation around here.

It's really just surmising, not casting things in stone. It's not desperation, simply thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I beg to differ with this kind of thinking.

Monahan and Gaudreau with a similar quiet style that works for them.

Both Tkachuk and Bennett have an aggressive nature with Tkachuk as the more intelligent playmaker talent. I still think Bennett knows how to pull the trigger and if not Neal does. I think this line could be dynomite.

I'm hoping you're right, but that doesn't make it so. Bennett's shot is very straight line. Not a chance it's close to Mony's or Tkachuk's release. Bennett full on telegraphs his shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Is it time to move Hanifin to the bottom pairing and promote Valimaki with Hamonic?  Does Hanifin - Andersson scare us?  Valimaki is the more steady and defensively reliable D.  Could form a stud shut down duo with Hamonic.  Thoughts?

 

Hanifin has been mostly good, his advanced stats are amongst the best on the D core. He does make mistakes but so do most 21 year old defensemen. Valimaki has been very good but he has also been getting really sheltered minutes. Valimaki might pass Hanifin at some point, but isn't really all that close to passing him on the depth chart at this point in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What is it with everyone not wanting to see players settle in wit each other ? This is the only way they get to knowhow to read each other so they can play better together. If BP starts moving our D around every time one of them makes a few mistakes we will have bigger problems. Giordano got beat at least 3 times last game does that mean we should put him with Stone ? Reeks of desperation around here.

 

Not every game is the same, and not every week has the same output from D-men.

Gio looked bad on one goal.

Hanifin and Hamonic followed up their best game together with a bad one.

Brodie is great one game and not so much the next.

You need options.

 

Valimaki has shown that he can play a high level but can be prone to rookie miscues.

Andersson has shown he's a great guy to have out there in hgh pressure situations, such as an EN.

Hamonic is getting better at carrying the puck end to end.

Hanifin struggles with decision making at times.

 

The best teams make adjustments, sometimes in game, to put their best pairs together when they are playing the best.

Has the perfect balance been achieved?

You tell me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm hoping you're right, but that doesn't make it so. Bennett's shot is very straight line. Not a chance it's close to Mony's or Tkachuk's release. Bennett full on telegraphs his shot.

 

That's a pretty fair assessment of Bennett so far.

If he was able to get a shot away with nobidy on him, we might start to see a better release.

 

It's funny.  I was saying that almost nobody on this team has a good one-timer.  I've seen Janko do it once or twice.  Goal scored.

I've been hoping to see more of that from Neal, but nobidy gets it close to his wheelhouse.

Tkachuk?  The coach said he didn;t know Tkachuka had one.  Neither did I.

His last two goals were from places I don;t expect him to score.

Maybe we should re-think the PP setup.

Tkachuk on the 2nd unit on RW?

 

Top Unit:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Gio-Lindholm

 

Neal with a one-timer option on his off-wing.  Lindholm protecting the line.

 

Wnd Unit:

Dube/Bennett-Janko-Tkachuk

Hanifin-Andersson

 

Tkachuk with a one-timer option on his off-wing.  Andersson with a point shot that might get through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

That's a pretty fair assessment of Bennett so far.

If he was able to get a shot away with nobidy on him, we might start to see a better release.

 

It's funny.  I was saying that almost nobody on this team has a good one-timer.  I've seen Janko do it once or twice.  Goal scored.

I've been hoping to see more of that from Neal, but nobidy gets it close to his wheelhouse.

Tkachuk?  The coach said he didn;t know Tkachuka had one.  Neither did I.

His last two goals were from places I don;t expect him to score.

Maybe we should re-think the PP setup.

Tkachuk on the 2nd unit on RW?

 

Top Unit:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Gio-Lindholm

 

Neal with a one-timer option on his off-wing.  Lindholm protecting the line.

 

Wnd Unit:

Dube/Bennett-Janko-Tkachuk

Hanifin-Andersson

 

Tkachuk with a one-timer option on his off-wing.  Andersson with a point shot that might get through.

I actually consider Lindholm has a one-timer. Does it have to be a slapshot?

For me, a one-timer is it's there and it's gone. Quick release wristers meet that criteria.

Ovechkin is one of the only player's in the league living on one timers. You know what he's going to do it and it doesn't matter.:o

 

Bennett needs space to shoot imho. Because he brings it 2 feet behind him. Then....

His hands are too far apart.

No curl.

No attempt to change trajectory.

I'll ask again, do we have a shooting coach?

There are coaches for everything under the sun. Stat-takers etc etc.

So I'd have to assume the shooting coach would be pretty high up there.

Just my assumption if I'm being practical...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I actually consider Lindholm has a one-timer. Does it have to be a slapshot?

For me, a one-timer is it's there and it's gone. Quick release wristers meet that criteria.

Ovechkin is one of the only player's in the league living on one timers. You know what he's going to do it and it doesn't matter.:o

 

Bennett needs space to shoot imho. Because he brings it 2 feet behind him. Then....

His hands are too far apart.

No curl.

No attempt to change trajectory.

I'll ask again, do we have a shooting coach?

There are coaches for everything under the sun. Stat-takers etc etc.

So I'd have to assume the shooting coach would be pretty high up there.

Just my assumption if I'm being practical...

 

Yeah, I would like someone to work with him as well.  Him and JH. 

At least watch the game tapes of your shots and ask for pointers from those that snipe.

JH can pick the top corner, on his off wing.  Yet he goes there from impossible angles.

With Bennett, I can never tell if he's getting a clean shot, because he's always in traffic when he shoot.

Is he missing the net due to contact with another stick?

Is he trying for the perfect shot?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet the other day, Hamonic praises Hanifin because playing with allows Hamonic to play his way. He feels completely comfortable playing with Hamonic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

And yet the other day, Hamonic praises Hanifin because playing with allows Hamonic to play his way. He feels completely comfortable playing with Hamonic. 

 

I don;t think there is any issues with the pairs the way they are, just there are other options.

The motivation aspect of mixing the pairs up has worked as well.

We saw Andersson step up big time.

At the same time, Brodie came back hungry.

As long as Stone and Prout are extras, the team will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

Hanifin has been mostly good, his advanced stats are amongst the best on the D core. He does make mistakes but so do most 21 year old defensemen. Valimaki has been very good but he has also been getting really sheltered minutes. Valimaki might pass Hanifin at some point, but isn't really all that close to passing him on the depth chart at this point in time.

So do most defensemen period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 3:19 PM, MAC331 said:

I think it is time to give Jankowski some recognition for how hard he is working. He is talented but our most underrated player.

I could live with Bennett, Backlund, Frolik all day long. I think they would be awesome together.

Jank

owski is our new Jim Peplinski.. Don't expect miracles

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Yeah, I would like someone to work with him as well.  Him and JH. 

At least watch the game tapes of your shots and ask for pointers from those that snipe.

JH can pick the top corner, on his off wing.  Yet he goes there from impossible angles.

With Bennett, I can never tell if he's getting a clean shot, because he's always in traffic when he shoot.

Is he missing the net due to contact with another stick?

Is he trying for the perfect shot?

  

Bennett is our new Dan Labraatan.. all hope and no glory

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

Jank

owski is our new Jim Peplinski.. Don't expect miracles

 

I like to think of him as our next Joel Otto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the look for the Tkachuk-Backs - Benny line. Think that warrants some time. 

 

Only downside is i I really didn't like the bottom 6 last night. Flames still relying too much on their top line and need someone in their bottom 6 to step up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I liked the look for the Tkachuk-Backs - Benny line. Think that warrants some time. 

 

Only downside is i I really didn't like the bottom 6 last night. Flames still relying too much on their top line and need someone in their bottom 6 to step up. 

Sorry to keep saying this but I believe where they are trying to use Backlund is screwing up the bottom 6 and anything past the top 3.

I honestly think it is time to use Bennett as the C they intended him to be. Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal should be a line. Frolik looks lost without Backlund which makes a number of others look lost out there. If they don't want to do this I would suggest putting Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan and put the Swedes together Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm.

Use a 3rd line of Bennett, Ryan, Frolik.

Use a 4th line Dude, Jankowski, Czarnik or Hathaway.

I watch a game and come away not understanding what it is BP is trying to achieve. Last night was no different and outside of the 3rd period we were out played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dube hasn't been the same impact player.

Shortened bench perhaps, but I haven;t seen much.

 

As unpopular as it may sound, put Neal on the top line and get him shots.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Janko-Ryan-Hathaway

Dube can swap in on the 4th line.  Makes it Dube-Janko-Ryan or Dube-Janko-Hathaway.

 

If Mangiapane was available, I would actually send Dube down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...