The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

On 11/17/2018 at 11:43 AM, MAC331 said:

I beg to differ with this kind of thinking.

Monahan and Gaudreau with a similar quiet style that works for them.

Both Tkachuk and Bennett have an aggressive nature with Tkachuk as the more intelligent playmaker talent. I still think Bennett knows how to pull the trigger and if not Neal does. I think this line could be dynomite.

i'd sooner see the scoring spread around more with the more traditional pairings saved for the PP.. I's go with Tkachuk/monahan/neal..jh/dube/czarnick. bennett/backlund/lindholm.. and any combination of Janko/frolik/ryan/hathaway for the fourth line.. I never want to see paluso on the ice

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dube hasn't been the same impact player.

Shortened bench perhaps, but I haven;t seen much.

As unpopular as it may sound, put Neal on the top line and get him shots.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Janko-Ryan-Hathaway

Dube can swap in on the 4th line.  Makes it Dube-Janko-Ryan or Dube-Janko-Hathaway.

If Mangiapane was available, I would actually send Dube down.

I think getting Neal more shots can get Monahan more goals. 

Like last night’s on his rebound marker. Those goals are just as pretty as the ones they’re trying to be perfect on. And those plays almost always die before they get a good chance. They lower the odds on some.

I loved that rebound goal. To me, it means they’re all going to good areas and finding room and the I feel like the odds get better with a goalie having less time to adjust.

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dube hasn't been the same impact player.

Shortened bench perhaps, but I haven;t seen much.

As unpopular as it may sound, put Neal on the top line and get him shots.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Janko-Ryan-Hathaway

Dube can swap in on the 4th line.  Makes it Dube-Janko-Ryan or Dube-Janko-Hathaway.

If Mangiapane was available, I would actually send Dube down.

I think sending Dube down might be the right call for his long term development, let him go down and be an impact player. He seemed a little gun shy about going into the corners last night. 

I think Czarnik deserves more time in the lineup.

I would send Dube down and call up Rychel or Peluso. Use either of those two if you feel you need a physical presence in the lineup.

• Like 1

Think BP really liked the Neal-Ryan-Frolik line last night as they were very solid in the 3rd. Think we see that tomorrow night as well.

I would also like to see more Czarnik. IMO Hathaway is at his best when he's not an every day guy, when he sits and is re-inserted after a game or two he is a ball of energy. Hath also brings next to no offensive punch. I'd be open to him and Czarnik splitting duty on 4th line RW. Speedy team use Czarnik, Ducks, Jets or Kings, Hathaway.

I am also open to sending Dube down to build him up a bit. He hasn't found the back of the net since September and I'm sure as a kid who has produced his whole life it weighs on him. I would call Mangiapane, Rychel or even Graovac up, with the latter two potentially sitting as an extra if BP wants Czarnik to play on the left side

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think sending Dube down might be the right call for his long term development, let him go down and be an impact player. He seemed a little gun shy about going into the corners last night. 

I would send Dube down and call up Rychel or Peluso. Use either of those two if you feel you need a physical presence in the lineup.

Agreed. Dube is fine, but let's get him some minutes. And we need to get Czarnik in. He has been good. 

54 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Agreed. Dube is fine, but let's get him some minutes. And we need to get Czarnik in. He has been good. 

I think it would be great to keep his offence going for a year or two while playing big minutes.

he is quite all-round already, but his finish at this level is lacking. Why not develop that so in a year or two he stays for good on the 2nd line?

5 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

yea.. big dreams

You know, it's funny... when they drafted him, they said he'd be our next Joe Nieuwendyk. They also said that by draft +10, he'd be touted as the best player to come out of that draft. In the next four years, I'm expecting big things!

Love. 

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

You know, it's funny... when they drafted him, they said he'd be our next Joe Nieuwendyk. They also said that by draft +10, he'd be touted as the best player to come out of that draft. In the next four years, I'm expecting big things!

Love. 

He's got a looooong ways to go.. he's damn near invisible most nights

One guy that has been getting a lot of attention and respect among flames' faithful - and rightly so - is Hamonic.  Hamonic has been awesome.  After settling into the team this year, and maybe having a better defensive partner that he gels with, or maybe better defensive systems...who knows...but he is playing as advertised, if not better, when Treliving made the big trade to bring him here.  Last year he didn't live up to the expectations, but this year he has been such a consistent, reliable, composed defensemen, and he's starting to push the offense a bit too.  We gave up a lot to get him, but with Gio-Brodie, Hammer - Hanifin, Andersson - Valimaki, we've got a heck of a defense corps, at a pretty decent price.

Brodie, too, needs to get some love, as he's been awesome.  Gio has been Gio...so he's been awesome.  And the young bucks rounding out the 3rd pairing are playing well.  By all accounts Kylington down in Stockton is taking a big step forward this year...we've got a pretty awesome group of D men to build a contender around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

He's got a looooong ways to go.. he's damn near invisible most nights

Tough to be visible playing on the 4th line, on a team that consistently plays the first half of the game down a goal or two, where the coach is then forced to shorten the bench and sit the entire fourth line for half a game.  So, in that regard he's kinda a product of his environment this year.  But yeah he hasn't really stood out at all this year.  Hasn't been a liability, but as you said, he's just invisible.

15 minutes ago, YounGuns said:

One guy that has been getting a lot of attention and respect among flames' faithful - and rightly so - is Hamonic.  Hamonic has been awesome.  After settling into the team this year, and maybe having a better defensive partner that he gels with, or maybe better defensive systems...who knows...but he is playing as advertised, if not better, when Treliving made the big trade to bring him here.  Last year he didn't live up to the expectations, but this year he has been such a consistent, reliable, composed defensemen, and he's starting to push the offense a bit too.  We gave up a lot to get him, but with Gio-Brodie, Hammer - Hanifin, Andersson - Valimaki, we've got a heck of a defense corps, at a pretty decent price.

Brodie, too, needs to get some love, as he's been awesome.  Gio has been Gio...so he's been awesome.  And the young bucks rounding out the 3rd pairing are playing well.  By all accounts Kylington down in Stockton is taking a big step forward this year...we've got a pretty awesome group of D men to build a contender around.

Last night they said that Gio could be the best D in the league right now. That’s pretty good praise. He’s so consistent that we take it for granted. Some less so, as a lot here know how good he is.

18 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am beginning to believe this would be good for Dube. Let him C Mangiapane and Foo down in Stockton. I would rather see a what a 4th line of Rychel LW, Ryan C and Hathaway RW could do for us. Dube has kind of had the wind taken out of his sails and hasn't been effective. Let him go down and score a bunch of goals so he remembers how.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Last night they said that Gio could be the best D in the league right now. That’s pretty good praise. He’s so consistent that we take it for granted. Some less so, as a lot here know how good he is.

The funny thing is that it was also one of Gio's worst games.

When your best D-man is responsible for the sequence that lead directly to 2 goals against...

But that was also not the end of the story.

He makes up for it in spades.

Between him and Brodie (and stellar shutdown by forwards), the top line was neutered.

A few more randoms....

Janko is being hampered by his usage and linemates.

He's been no less impactful than Bennett, but for different reasons.

If Tkachuk was being used more for offence, then you might get better results with Janko and Bennett as a line.

Crazy talk, eh.

Hamonic is player his best games in like 3 years.  Funny how a minor change can bring that out.

He's moving the puck, which was his biggest flaw last year.

He can skate it all the way in.

Much better than the 100 foot pass.

Hanifin is trending up.

He's till so young and is already a decent player.

Frolik.

What can you say about the guy.

Plays a 300 foot game.

Never behind the play.

Works well with anyone, though I don't think subbing in for Matty on the top PP unit was great.

JH-Monahan-Lindholm.

Overall, this is a hard trio to break up.

Some games aren't productive, but he's so great at faceoffs how do you move him off.

Neal.

If he worked as hard as Bennett he would already have 10 goals.

If he played with an elite passer he would have 10.

Ras.

Wish he would use his shot more.

He has wicked offensive capability.

End to end rushes.

Hard shot from the point.

Stop passing when you have a lane.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The funny thing is that it was also one of Gio's worst games.

When your best D-man is responsible for the sequence that lead directly to 2 goals against...

But that was also not the end of the story.

He makes up for it in spades.

Between him and Brodie (and stellar shutdown by forwards), the top line was neutered.

A few more randoms....

Janko is being hampered by his usage and linemates.

He's been no less impactful than Bennett, but for different reasons.

If Tkachuk was being used more for offence, then you might get better results with Janko and Bennett as a line.

Crazy talk, eh.

Hamonic is player his best games in like 3 years.  Funny how a minor change can bring that out.

He's moving the puck, which was his biggest flaw last year.

He can skate it all the way in.

Much better than the 100 foot pass.

Hanifin is trending up.

He's till so young and is already a decent player.

Frolik.

What can you say about the guy.

Plays a 300 foot game.

Never behind the play.

Works well with anyone, though I don't think subbing in for Matty on the top PP unit was great.

JH-Monahan-Lindholm.

Overall, this is a hard trio to break up.

Some games aren't productive, but he's so great at faceoffs how do you move him off.

Neal.

If he worked as hard as Bennett he would already have 10 goals.

If he played with an elite passer he would have 10.

Ras.

Wish he would use his shot more.

He has wicked offensive capability.

End to end rushes.

Hard shot from the point.

Stop passing when you have a lane.

I would be looking at a line of Tkachuk, Jankowski, Neal as your primary 2nd scoring line. They would all have to put more emphasis on puck control but this is where I would prefer BP take things. Like I said above a line of Bennett, Backlund and Frolik could be one of the best overall shutdown line in hockey if put together. I agree its time to get more from Jankowski and in order to do that he needs playing time.

Count me in the camp that Dube should go to the A.

Nothing against him and it's certainly not a punishment. I just don't think it's best for his game to be used sparingly in a mostly 4th line type role. He's one of he first to get stapled to the bench when they need offence or shorten the bench (which is not wrong IMO either) and I don't like that over the long term. 

• Like 1

Good to see that coach is thinking along the same lines as some of us on here. 

Dube is going to be a very good NHLer, very a very long time. The job now is to make sure his potential is maximized, I think sending him down to the AHL and let him be an impact player down there is the best way to get him to being an impact player at the NHL level.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Good to see that coach is thinking along the same lines as some of us on here. 

Dube is going to be a very good NHLer, very a very long time. The job now is to make sure his potential is maximized, I think sending him down to the AHL and let him be an impact player down there is the best way to get him to being an impact player at the NHL level.

What's funny is that Dube used to be an all-situations guy.  He hasn't for some time now.

We need to know if he's a C, a LW or what.

Play him top minutes in the AHL until he rounds out.

Injuries have plagued him in his junior career, so need to be careful to get him going in the right environment.

Not looking over his should every shift for a Kassian (douce) or Lucic (frustrated, takes it out on everyone).

I suspect he would find more ice at center, but his faceoff stats are too few to measure.

There's no reason why he should continue to be here to find his game, while others have found it are are stuck in the AHL.

Mangiapane was not the sexy player to keep up, but he has been consistent in the AHL.  3rd year, with the most recent ones being a p/gp pace.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What's funny is that Dube used to be an all-situations guy.  He hasn't for some time now.

We need to know if he's a C, a LW or what.

Play him top minutes in the AHL until he rounds out.

Injuries have plagued him in his junior career, so need to be careful to get him going in the right environment.

Not looking over his should every shift for a Kassian (douce) or Lucic (frustrated, takes it out on everyone).

I suspect he would find more ice at center, but his faceoff stats are too few to measure.

There's no reason why he should continue to be here to find his game, while others have found it are are stuck in the AHL.

Mangiapane was not the sexy player to keep up, but he has been consistent in the AHL.  3rd year, with the most recent ones being a p/gp pace.

I would rather see BP get the best possible top 9 arrangement worked out .I don't see Mangiapane in that group and he would be much of the same scenario as Dube was 4th line. I would like to see some size added for the 4th line, Let's see what Rychel has to offer, he has to be hungry by now.

16 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would rather see BP get the best possible top 9 arrangement worked out .I don't see Mangiapane in that group and he would be much of the same scenario as Dube was 4th line. I would like to see some size added for the 4th line, Let's see what Rychel has to offer, he has to be hungry by now.

Guys from Stockton that have found success on the Flames put up good numbers there:

Ras

Janko

Hathaway

Need someone with a good nickname.

Janko, Hath, Ras...

Breadeater (or Yeastmode) should be next, over the 3rd Rych.  :) 

Seriously, the reason I suggest Mangiapane is that he played well with Janko and Hathaway in the past.

In theory, Czarnik is the 12 guy if Dube gets sent down, but I'm not big on having two RHS playing opposite wings.

Would actually have no issue with Rychel as a spare, toiling it out till he gets in.

I suspect if you saw Mangiapane get into games, his impact would show.  Last year was not really indicative of his play.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Guys from Stockton that have found success on the Flames put up good numbers there:

Ras

Janko

Hathaway

Need someone with a good nickname.

Janko, Hath, Ras...

Breadeater (or Yeastmode) should be next, over the 3rd Rych.  :) 

Seriously, the reason I suggest Mangiapane is that he played well with Janko and Hathaway in the past.

In theory, Czarnik is the 12 guy if Dube gets sent down, but I'm not big on having two RHS playing opposite wings.

Would actually have no issue with Rychel as a spare, toiling it out till he gets in.

I suspect if you saw Mangiapane get into games, his impact would show.  Last year was not really indicative of his play.

I don't look at the situations surrounding depth the way you cling to this "earned thing". I want players coming up to fill spots where they will be most beneficial for the team and their own success. As an example, if we were to lose any of Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Bennett to an injury Mangiapane should be one of the first called up. Mangiapane playing top line minutes in the A will have him fine tuned for such a role. Foo for any RW situation same thing. This how depth should work best and not who is next in line because they happen to be playing well. Rychel is more suited to a 4th line role. You mention Czarnik and I think they could use him to challenge up into the top 9 but for now use both him and Hathaway depending on who we are playing.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I don't look at the situations surrounding depth the way you cling to this "earned thing". I want players coming up to fill spots where they will be most beneficial for the team and their own success. As an example, if we were to lose any of Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Bennett to an injury Mangiapane should be one of the first called up. Mangiapane playing top line minutes in the A will have him fine tuned for such a role. Foo for any RW situation same thing. This how depth should work best and not who is next in line because they happen to be playing well. Rychel is more suited to a 4th line role. You mention Czarnik and I think they could use him to challenge up into the top 9 but for now use both him and Hathaway depending on who we are playing.

I was thinking that BP was one that uses the player in the situation that they are accustomed to; Dube playing top 9 because he's a top 9 player.

But then you see Janko playing 4th line.  

Or Frolik on the 4th line.

I think some of it may be reflective of the type of depth we have.  In games where we are playing well, there is no reason not to roll 4 lines.

The struggles we have some games determines the ice times though.

6 times losing after 40 minutes where we came back to win.

No chance you roll the 4th line then.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was thinking that BP was one that uses the player in the situation that they are accustomed to; Dube playing top 9 because he's a top 9 player.

But then you see Janko playing 4th line.  

Or Frolik on the 4th line.

I think some of it may be reflective of the type of depth we have.  In games where we are playing well, there is no reason not to roll 4 lines.

The struggles we have some games determines the ice times though.

6 times losing after 40 minutes where we came back to win.

No chance you roll the 4th line then.

Until BP settles into some lines this is what we get. I don't think it is an indication of him moving away from how he feels about players coming into situations they are accustom to in the A, at least I hope not. Also he is very fast in shortening his bench which would make it even worse for someone like Mangiapane on the 4th line.

On 2018-11-17 at 11:14 AM, travel_dude said:

Hanifin-Hamonic has been mostly good, since Hammer can cover up Hani's mistakes.

You could opt to use any of these options, though, without a noticeable drop in play.

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Brodie

Valimaki-Hamonic        Each young D gets a vet to play with.

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Hamonic        Top pair intact, rookies with establish (if not old) D-men.

Gio-Hamonic

Hanifin-Brodie

Valimaki-Andersson     Brodie swaps with Hammer.  Better defensive top pair, faster skating 2nd pair.        

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Brodie           Both rookies get vets.  

All possible and probably effective.  But here’s the question.  The team is playing well and first in the conference at the quarter pole.  You guys haven’t identified an actual problem, the team is successful but you still want changes?  Perhaps take up walking or something else, seems like you,vex got too much time on your hands.  Find a hobby and just sit back and enjoy.

7 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

All possible and probably effective.  But here’s the question.  The team is playing well and first in the conference at the quarter pole.  You guys haven’t identified an actual problem, the team is successful but you still want changes?  Perhaps take up walking or something else, seems like you,vex got too much time on your hands.  Find a hobby and just sit back and enjoy.

There is no fun in that but I guess one could take that positioning if "winning" is all that matters to you. As the season goes on the team has to get better as other teams adjust to defense us. Our forward group outside of the top line could be better arranged. Our D is rounding into shape. The success Rittich is having hopefully pushes Smith to get his game together. I like our team but I don't think it is time to relax if ever.

On 2018-11-15 at 6:54 PM, kehatch said:

I think most fans appreciate what they have in Tkachuk.  I have said it before, he is our best chance of having a superstar on the roster.   I don't disagree with the blogger's assessment of the Flames utilization of him.  He does get plenty of ice time, but he is generally with lower offense forwards focused on defensive responsibilities. It would be nice to see him play with someone like Lindholm who has a bit more offensive upside then Backlund/Frolik.

If the Flames were to pair 'Gaudreau-Monahan' / 'Tkachuk-Lindholm' / 'Backlund-Frolik' then they are virtually guaranteed three strong lines regardless of how they deploy Bennett, Neal, Czarnik, Ryan, etc.  Especially if the Monahan continues to focus on the defensive side of his game and Lindholm keeps taking steps forward like he has.  

They already have three strong lines.  Your pairs may work as well, but at the moment, why bother?  With Bennett moving up to the Backlund-Tkachuk pair that second line is a fast, savvy, offensive buzzsaw line that was pretty great the past two games.