The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

17 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I think the Flames would be crazy to pass up a Neal trade right now.  He is playing like a fourth liner and earning first line money.  20 games in and he hasn't produced.  I would be willing to free up a bunch of cap space at the risk of him getting his game back together elsewhere.  

That would be a dumb move

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

The current line of Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett has been exceptional on many levels, and Bennett is just getting better.  That should not be broken up for anything until they take a serious slide, and the same should be true for the 1st line.

Everyone of us on here has a different way of seeing things. Right now vs past seasons we have a better quality player group and there will be a number of combinations that will work well regardless. I like Tkachuk and Bennett together but I like Backlund and Frolik together more. I would like to see Bennett back at C with Tkachuk not learning another position on RW. Everyone is on Neal's case for not producing, well I have to ask the question if he was on the top line would Lindholm's goals be Neal's goals ? Usig short term results whether they be success or lack there of is short sighted IMO. I still say BP as not arrived at the best arrangements with this forward group for maximum results and every team gets better as the season goes along we will need to adjust and get to our max performance. We all enjoy seeing them win games but having been a player and coach with a number of sports I view the process and games differently. Go FLAMES Go

Get Stone isn't well like but this is still a bit scary. Apparently wasn't feeling right last night. 

No corresponding move yet. Bennett also fine after blocking a shot but Frolik won't travel with the team. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Get Stone isn't well like but this is still a bit scary. Apparently wasn't feeling right last night. 

No corresponding move yet. Bennett also fine after blocking a shot but Frolik won't travel with the team. 

Hopefully Stone will be alright and get healthy quickly. 

I wonder who the Flames will call up for the road trip with Stone and Frolik going on the IR. I wonder if they will bring Prout back off his conditioning stint or if they will leave him there to get some games in and reward Kylington for his great start to the season. I wouldn't mind seeing Quine or Graovac getting a call up, both are off to solid starts in Stockton and both are pretty versitile players.

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unfortunate , you never like to hear these types of conditions with any player. Wish Stone well.

55 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder who the Flames will call up for the road trip with Stone and Frolik going on the IR. I wonder if they will bring Prout back off his conditioning stint or if they will leave him there to get some games in and reward Kylington for his great start to the season. I wouldn't mind seeing Quine or Graovac getting a call up, both are off to solid starts in Stockton and both are pretty versitile players.

I wonder if they will bother calling anyone up. Could see them bringing back Prout, but they don't need anyone to play and with Stockton being such a short trip away from LV/Arizona and apparently Frolik will be eligible to come off for the Dallas game. Probably depends on how he responds. 

There just isn't a need for a body. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Hope he gets well soon.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Quine, Rychel and Rayovac are the vets that could be considered extras.  Sitting one of them as a healthy scratch would not impact their ability to play or develop.  Having a 13th F is more important to me right now.  I get they don't absolutely need to call up a D for #7, since they could trot out 5D during a game if a last minute thing happened.

I would guess that Prout stays where he is.  Likely one forward comes up.  Hopefully not Lazar.  My guess is Rychel, since he's a winger.

To bad about Stone.  My opinion about him is more due to how he's already been passed on the depth chart than what kind of player he is.  Hope he recovers sooner than later.

Lomberg and Kylington recalled.

Neither will be available in time to draw in against Vegas.

Lombo is just an extra body right now, but Kylington may get a game in sooner than later.

Stone is on IR for an indefinite amount of time.

Coach will want to use Kylington before he goes stale.

His offense has been superb at the AHL level this year.

Much like Andersson was last season.

14 points in 18 games.

His defensive play has supposedly improved too.

May get a game in to spell off Valimaki.

Never hurts to have a rookie sit out a game or two.

Also, 7 healthy D-men on the roster.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lomberg and Kylington recalled.

Neither will be available in time to draw in against Vegas.

Lombo is just an extra body right now, but Kylington may get a game in sooner than later.

Stone is on IR for an indefinite amount of time.

Coach will want to use Kylington before he goes stale.

His offense has been superb at the AHL level this year.

Much like Andersson was last season.

14 points in 18 games.

His defensive play has supposedly improved too.

May get a game in to spell off Valimaki.

Never hurts to have a rookie sit out a game or two.

Also, 7 healthy D-men on the roster.

Who sits so Kylington plays ?

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Who sits so Kylington plays ?

Was in the post.  "May get a game in to spell off Valimaki".

BP has talked about the virtue of sitting out a game to give you the view from the sky, helps show you how much time you actually have out there.  Not saying at all that Valimaki has been bad.  On the contrary.  He's making some bad reads at times.  So is everyone else.  Hanifin is probably making more mistakes, which might actually be a good place to insert Kylington.  Either or.

Take out Valimaki, you can play Kylington with Ras.  Take out Hanifin, you could go with Kylington-Hamonic and Valimaki-Ras or Valimaki-Hamonic and Kylington-Ras.  Lots of options.  Unlike Stone, I think you need to play Kylington more than sitting him out.

I will say this.  The pairs have been mostly good to great.  No reason to change, as we have been winning.  Then again, if you introduce change when it's an option, it's less impactful when you have an injury.  Guys are ready and more comfortable.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I doubt Kylington will play. 

Considering that Stone may be out long term, the chances of Kylington playing is fairly high.

If Stone is out for a week or less, then you are probably bang on.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Considering that Stone may be out long term, the chances of Kylington playing is fairly high.

Yeah, Smid had clots didn’t he?

he could not play while on blood thinners. How long does that take? I seem to remember it being a long term injury. But even week to week can be considered a long time .

would they recall Prout?

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I suspect Stone will be out long term. However, they also get Prout back. I think given that they didn't just waive Prout and send him down it tells me that they still view him as their NHL depth guy and they may have a fear of losing him on waivers. Don't know why the plan would change and they would start playing Kylington over Prout. 

I get perhaps they could sit Valamaki or Andersson to get Kylington a game but for me personally, that sounds really dumb. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I suspect Stone will be out long term. However, they also get Prout back. I think given that they didn't just waive Prout and send him down it tells me that they still view him as their NHL depth guy and they may have a fear of losing him on waivers. Don't know why the plan would change and they would start playing Kylington over Prout. 

I get perhaps they could sit Valamaki or Andersson to get Kylington a game but for me personally, that sounds really dumb. 

It's just the coach's MO.

Bring a player up, and keep him "fresh".

Also evaluate the player at the NHL level, since he's considered part of the depth.

Prout's gonna get games in at the AHL level, so I don't think they bring him back up yet.

You don't play that card, considering that it could be contrued as waiver circumvention if they brought him back up before the loan is up.

Like I said, Valimaki/Andersson/Hanifin deserve to be playing based on results.  That doesn not mean they can't sit out a game to get a different perspective.  They did it with both Valimaki and Andersson at some point so far.

On 2018-11-22 at 11:56 AM, MAC331 said:

That would be a dumb move

Maybe.  But if he continues to underperform, at what point does it become dumb to hold on to him?  1 year?  2 years?  3 years?   

The assumption that he will suddenly break out is simply that, an assumption. 

14 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Maybe.  But if he continues to underperform, at what point does it become dumb to hold on to him?  1 year?  2 years?  3 years?   

The assumption that he will suddenly break out is simply that, an assumption. 

Most proven players eventually will play to their norms. I believe Neal is being used all wrong by BP, not sure who is trying to prove what right now. One or the other needs to wake up IMO.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Most proven players eventually will play to their norms. I believe Neal is being used all wrong by BP, not sure who is trying to prove what right now. One or the other needs to wake up IMO.

Neal has done nothing to be promoted. This club is in a top spot with a new coach and new roster. I for one applaud BP for the fact if you are not Playing well you sit. Has no issue with putting the lines in a blender. We just had 2 seasons with a coach that stuck with a broken system and lines ups. Neal needs to be better, last night was the first glimpse of what he is suppose to be, pain in the Hash Rate chippy and engaged. If I am not mistaken Mony got bumped down in the line up and didn’t play much in the 3rd, my kind of coach. If your not going to give me 110% than sit the Blockchain down and I will play those who will regardless of your pay check or name on the back 

20 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Neal has done nothing to be promoted. This club is in a top spot with a new coach and new roster. I for one applaud BP for the fact if you are not Playing well you sit. Has no issue with putting the lines in a blender. We just had 2 seasons with a coach that stuck with a broken system and lines ups. Neal needs to be better, last night was the first glimpse of what he is suppose to be, pain in the Hash Rate chippy and engaged. If I am not mistaken Mony got bumped down in the line up and didn’t play much in the 3rd, my kind of coach. If your not going to give me 110% than sit the Blockchain down and I will play those who will regardless of your pay check or name on the back 

Do you happen to know the reason Monahan got bumped down?  I don't either.  Perhaps it was Tkachuk's lnemates were bobbling things too much and they wanted to get Tkachuk out there with a decent passer.  Backlund's offense has dried up.  Unless he gives it to Tkachuk or Bennett, the shots are center mass.  Neal is being played with a C that has very little creativity.  Ryan is not a bad player, but he's not great at generating shots.  Dube is mostly just getting passes as far as Ryan or he shoots himself.  Fine.  Sounds like a 4th line.  

You want to tap into what makes a finisher a good one?  Play them with a passer.  If you are going to shake up a line by moving Monahan off, play the guy that thrives off good passes. 

There's not much wrong with the top 6, other than Backlund's game has dried up, other than his defensive game.  He;s at his best when he has Frolik with him.  The bottom 6 is hit and miss.  Lots of good players, maybe not in the prime spots yet.  The Vegas game was a sign that when you shut down the top 6, the bottom 6 isn;t going to get it done.  Do we need to play Ryan and Dube with Neal?  Does Czarnik need to play LW?  Is Janko deserving of lessened minutes?  Do we need to play Backlund between Tkachuk and Bennett?      

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Do we need to play Backlund between Tkachuk and Bennett?      

Personal opinion - I don't think so. I think that Backlund is the best candidate to be bumped from the top 6, and could be the best third line center in the NHL, but we have a bit of a glut down the middle. I'm not sure how you get Neal into the top 6 without moving Lindholm or Bennett back into the middle. I would definitely be open to that, too. If Lindholm played with Bennett and Tkachuk, you'd have the same left-hand/right-hand faceoff support. Is the top line too slow, though? 

Love. 

19 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Personal opinion - I don't think so. I think that Backlund is the best candidate to be bumped from the top 6, and could be the best third line center in the NHL, but we have a bit of a glut down the middle. I'm not sure how you get Neal into the top 6 without moving Lindholm or Bennett back into the middle. I would definitely be open to that, too. If Lindholm played with Bennett and Tkachuk, you'd have the same left-hand/right-hand faceoff support. Is the top line too slow, though? 

Love. 

That's the debate isn;t it.  

Gaudreau with Lindholm has been magic.

Gaudreau with Monahan has been magic.

I would be open to exploring a few options.

Bennett is play his best hockey of the season.

Tkachuk is the best player on his line.

Gaudreau makes any player better.

How about a top 6 like this for a game or 3.

JH-Monahan-Bennett

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal

You get to see Bennett add his puck-separateing skills to a skilled duo.  Perhaps the elite passing gives him some confidence to take a quick shot.  That 2nd line could be deadly.  Every one of them can snipe.  Heavy bodies on the wings.

Alternative is of course:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Bennett-Lindholm.

Neal benefits from elite passing.  His size opens up the ice for some JH magic.  The 2nd line sets up Bennett or Lindholm to take draws.  You can always revert to Lindholm at C and Bennett on RW, which seems to work for Bennett.

Backlund can get back Frolik and maybe Ryan to fill out a decent line.  The 4th is Janko and whomever plays best.  Not a shabby bottom 6 at all.  

#FlamesNHLFlames.png lines and pairings at practice:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Dube-Jankowski-Hathaway

Lomberg-Ryan-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie

Kylington-Hamonic

Hanifin-Andersson

Smith (in starter’s net)

Rittich

Valimaki not practicing, Neal odd man out

Not sure I get the need to start Lomberg, unless it's a message to Neal to watch the (borderline) penalties late in games.  Seems like overreation.  Valimaki was not the reason for two goals, but he was on the ice during the PP goal.  This may be a call by the coach to give Valimaki some time to view the game from above, without sacrificing a more vet (that needs it) like Hanifin.  Smith in net is predictable, whether he actually plays or not.  Can't be giving away games because you "think" he may be ready.  He has to be 100% ready.  No head case.  Rittich played well enough to warrant the next start.  

On 11/14/2018 at 4:16 PM, robrob74 said:

Could he not fit the system? Or is it the group of players?

Neal is our Phil Kessel. Find the right partners for him to make that line a scoring line and you have the depth for a cup competitive team.