The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know we have these let down games at times, but I didn't like the way the team looked against Dallas.

Janko looked more impressive than Ryan.

Backlund and Tkachuk looked invisible, except when they got hemmed in for a long shift.

The top line was missing a spark.

Dube was not effective.

Hathaway was one of the best players.

Defense was mostly solid, while the forwards didn't give them much help.

There needs to be a go-to lineup when the current one isn't working.

This isn't just switching Lindholm and Tkachuk.

It's about having a new look, so that the other team has to adjust to a new style.

We almost did it last night, but after a great shift we followed it with a weak one.

New look:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Janko-Lindholm

Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

If Frolik is back, then you get him wih Backlund.  Use this when Janko and Neal look good.  Only use it at home where you can dictate the matchups.  At the worst, you have two fast players per line.  You still have a shutdown line.

I like your new look thinking. Unless you are going to deal Jankowski plus for someone like Toews to put us over the top use the best we have in the right places.

Tmac raised a good point about Neal not being Neal. Well there is a good reason for that if you start him out on a constantly changing 3rd line. Being wasted.

Jankowski should be playing top 9 and Ryan should be C for the 4th line. Czarnik should be 4th line and being used as he is now replacing an injured Frolik. We have the players IMO BP needs to make the best adjustments so the team fires on all cylinders. Should we get the goaltending this team could go all the way.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I like your new look thinking. Unless you are going to deal Jankowski plus for someone like Toews to put us over the top use the best we have in the right places.

Tmac raised a good point about Neal not being Neal. Well there is a good reason for that if you start him out on a constantly changing 3rd line. Being wasted.

Jankowski should be playing top 9 and Ryan should be C for the 4th line. Czarnik should be 4th line and being used as he is now replacing an injured Frolik. We have the players IMO BP needs to make the best adjustments so the team fires on all cylinders. Should we get the goaltending this team could go all the way.

For all the success we have had scoring, something just isn't right.  I have no issues with Ryan as a player or even his contract.  I just feel we are forcing some things that may not be quite right.  Neal scores on high danger chances, but I don't feel he is getting them.  Bennett is creating chances, but is usually jambed up when he get the shot away, whether that's because he telegraphs his shots or because he takes them in high traffic.  Czarnik can fly, but isn't getting open with a player traveling the same speed.  Hathaway is good on the boards and forechecking.  Lindholm is great at getting open, but has a better shot from the middle.  Janko is a good all-round player, but doesn't get many clean passes received.  Backlund doesn't look quite right.  There were shift where he looked gassed, and bascially let his guy go.

The defense seems to be perfect.  Guys are stepping up, pinching when it's a good time to, keeping the puck in, and mostly making smart decisions on covering in the D-zone.  Mistakes happen, but they are playing the best I have seen in years.  When you can complain about Gio only getting one good clean shot away, that is not bad.  When the bottom pair is able to play 11-14 minutes and be + for the night, then you are okay.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

For all the success we have had scoring, something just isn't right.  I have no issues with Ryan as a player or even his contract.  I just feel we are forcing some things that may not be quite right.  Neal scores on high danger chances, but I don't feel he is getting them.  Bennett is creating chances, but is usually jambed up when he get the shot away, whether that's because he telegraphs his shots or because he takes them in high traffic.  Czarnik can fly, but isn't getting open with a player traveling the same speed.  Hathaway is good on the boards and forechecking.  Lindholm is great at getting open, but has a better shot from the middle.  Janko is a good all-round player, but doesn't get many clean passes received.  Backlund doesn't look quite right.  There were shift where he looked gassed, and bascially let his guy go.

The defense seems to be perfect.  Guys are stepping up, pinching when it's a good time to, keeping the puck in, and mostly making smart decisions on covering in the D-zone.  Mistakes happen, but they are playing the best I have seen in years.  When you can complain about Gio only getting one good clean shot away, that is not bad.  When the bottom pair is able to play 11-14 minutes and be + for the night, then you are okay.

Having the right combinations for the lines other than your prime scoring makes it harder for the opposition to focus on where to shut things down. We are not there yet even with the success enjoyed to date.

Backlund seems to have a level of comfort with Frolik and almost lost when he is not on is line. Bennett doesn't appear to want to change his game which makes him more suitable to play a more shutdown role with Backlund and Frolik.

If you put Neal with Gaudreau and Monahan they all have enough experience to figure it out not to be a defensive liability. The good part is they are all threats and therefore create space for each other for scoring opportunities.

Tkachuk is the player we need set free and right now Jankowski and Lindholm as line mates would be good. Firstly because Lindholm is such a good overall player. Jankowski's game just keeps growing IMO and he also has the talents to be a good overall player. Tkachuk speaks for himself as the difference maker for the line.

I have watched Ryan and see the strengths mentioned about him on the way in as a good face off guy and responsible player which cries C to me and 4th line with this group would be perfect for now. He has the ability to fill in above there should any injuries occur. Dube and Czarnik are still learning lots but are good players. Hathaway is Hathaway and should simply be appreciated for what he brings when we need that element. Keep tweaking BP. LOL

Dube sent to the AHL today.

Lomberg shouldn't be far behind, as he doesn't provide anything that Hathaway doesn't already provide.  Need a utility player like Rychel, who can play a straightforward LW role.  Quine has also been very effective and would fit there.

As well, Nikita Soshnikov and Valentin Zykov have been waived.  Either of those guiys could be an effective, low cost, disposible asset for the 4th line.  Do we really need Lomberg there?  He's basically a career AHL toughie that can score in the AHL.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lomberg shouldn't be far behind, as he doesn't provide anything that Hathaway doesn't already provide.  Need a utility player like Rychel, who can play a straightforward LW role.  Quine has also been very effective and would fit there.

As well, Nikita Soshnikov and Valentin Zykov have been waived.  Either of those guiys could be an effective, low cost, disposible asset for the 4th line.  Do we really need Lomberg there?  He's basically a career AHL toughie that can score in the AHL.

Dube probably should have been sent down a little sooner imo. His first 10 games were great, he was buzzing around the ice, like he did at rookie camp and preseason, and getting scoring chances, but his effectiveness has died down in the last 15 or so. Top line minutes in the A will hopefully restore his confidence.

I forgot Lomberg was here. If you want havoc from your 4th line why would you not want Lomberg. I remember reading where Huska loves what he brings to the team when he was coaching in the A.

I don't mind seeing Dube go down ad get some work at C between Mangiapane and Foo would be a good thing.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I forgot Lomberg was here. If you want havoc from your 4th line why would you not want Lomberg. I remember reading where Huska loves what he brings to the team when he was coaching in the A.

I don't mind seeing Dube go down ad get some work at C between Mangiapane and Foo would be a good thing.

TBH, I have no idea anymore who is on what line in Stockton.

Philips was on the 4th line.  

Lazar was playing with Klimchuk.

Lomberg is a good agitator and forechecker, but I don't know that he's very effective at the NHL level.

Actual NHL talent is sitting on the farm.

Short-term fill in or practice guy, Lomberg is fine.

Want to win through the season, figure out who the 4th line LW is and stick with them.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

In that same breath would either be an upgrade over Foo or Mangipaine? Or even Lazar or Rychel?

I wouldnt mind seeing Rychel up for a game or 2 just to see if theres any spark desire left.

TBH, I have no idea anymore who is on what line in Stockton.

Philips was on the 4th line.  

Lazar was playing with Klimchuk.

Lomberg is a good agitator and forechecker, but I don't know that he's very effective at the NHL level.

Actual NHL talent is sitting on the farm.

Short-term fill in or practice guy, Lomberg is fine.

Want to win through the season, figure out who the 4th line LW is and stick with them.

The 4th line IMO is like "go out there and don't let your actions hurt the team" if they are not there to score don't be scored on either. I actually hope to see them use the 4th line to give some of the Stockton players a look. We will see, we won't or shouldn't live or die by who plays 4th line.

Peters had Zykov last season in CAR, so a claim could be a possibility. However not to pigeon hole him but Russians aren’t really known for their responsibly two way play. Czarnik is probably a better overall player.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Neal-Ryan-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

I do not want Lomberg and Hathaway both in. One of the two is fine but not both. In this day and age you need skill all throughout your lineup and having those two on your 4th line is medieval thinking  

I like Zykov in his draft year and still don't this its horrible how he's developed, but that being said I like Czarnik and I think you should give more opportunities to guys you already have then get someone off waivers. I'd pass on the waiver options and keep things internal. 

Glad to see Dube go down. I've liked his game and I actually think he could stick here the whole year and we wouldn't complain. He's got an NHL game but I think it's best served long term for him to grow in the A but it was an impressive start IMO. 

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Peters had Zykov last season in CAR, so a claim could be a possibility. However not to pigeon hole him but Russians aren’t really known for their responsibly two way play. Czarnik is probably a better overall player.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Neal-Ryan-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

I do not want Lomberg and Hathaway both in. One of the two is fine but not both. In this day and age you need skill all throughout your lineup and having those two on your 4th line is medieval thinking  

So is Neal playing 3rd line LW medieval thinking.

16 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

So is Neal playing 3rd line LW medieval thinking.

What has Neal done to earn more than 3rd line minutes?? Dube with 4 points and playing lesser minutes just got sent down. You can't make excuses for him, it doesn't matter who is playing with, a 5.75mill player can't have 5 points in 25 games, it's just unacceptable

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What has Neal done to earn more than 3rd line minutes?? Dube with 4 points and playing lesser minutes just got sent down. You can't make excuses for him, it doesn't matter who is playing with, a 5.75mill player can't have 5 points in 25 games, it's just unacceptable

See this is where you "earn it" guys get it wrong. How long has Neal been in this League and how has he had his success ? Did BT bring him in here to humble him and teach him a lesson ? Would it not make more sense to put him with your more successful players and then if he doesn't perform knock him down ? Just asking, do you want him to be successful here or just keep moving him around and out of position until he quits. Not the place for tough love I'm afraid.

Oh and as far as Lomberg, what's wrong with a full blown distraction for the opposition from some 4th line guys, might help some nights. Lomberg and Hathaway would be awesome to watch running around hitting guys. Maybe then the opposition wouldn't spend all their attention on Tkachuk and Bennett so they could play hockey. Lots of ways to win games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

See this is where you "earn it" guys get it wrong. How long has Neal been in this League and how has he had his success ? Did BT bring him in here to humble him and teach him a lesson ? Would it not make more sense to put him with your more successful players and then if he doesn't perform knock him down ? Just asking, do you want him to be successful here or just keep moving him around and out of position until he quits. Not the place for tough love I'm afraid.

Maybe Neal is just in a big slump. I will admit I was surprised he wasn’t on the top line to start the year. Lindholm has been a better fit than anyone thought though. Maybe he will get another shot with Backlund? It’s been a really really bad start here, but I would not be surprised if he scores 7 in the next 9 games and makes his stats look good. Maybe we expected too much of him though?

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe Neal is just in a big slump. I will admit I was surprised he wasn’t on the top line to start the year. Lindholm has been a better fit than anyone thought though. Maybe he will get another shot with Backlund? It’s been a really really bad start here, but I would not be surprised if he scores 7 in the next 9 games and makes his stats look good. Maybe we expected too much of him though?

Don't expect 10 goals from him playing 3rd line minutes with different line mates for 2 months. Hey don't get me wrong, like everyone else I know Neal can be much better I just wouldn't have went about his placement the way BP has gone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

As well, Nikita Soshnikov and Valentin Zykov have been waived.  Either of those guiys could be an effective, low cost, disposible asset for the 4th line

I wouldn't be upset if we claimed Zykov, I've liked how he plays. But I feel like Czarnik brings a fairly similar skillset with better defence. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I like Zykov in his draft year and still don't this its horrible how he's developed, but that being said I like Czarnik and I think you should give more opportunities to guys you already have then get someone off waivers. I'd pass on the waiver options and keep things internal. 

I wanted the Flames to draft Zykov instead of Klimchuk and Poirier.  I wouldn't mind if we picked him up but he is a LW despite RHS so in that sense, it's better to keep Czarnik who is RHS RW.  I don't think he plays top 9 for and his game seems more offensive minded.  It's not a good fit here.

Mangiapane recalled from the Heat.

Unsure if he slots in with Janko, but that would be an easy transition for the line with Hathaway there.

Was a dominant line in Stockton early last season.

No word on Zykov.  They could do a retroactive IR placement for Valimaki or send Lomberg down with little fuss.

Unfortunately, they are way down on waiver priority.  Zykov may not make it that far.

That Mangiapane recall doesn't make sense and annoys me. Don't get that you send down a young guy because you don't want him playing 4th line only to recall a guy who literally is in the same boat. When I asked him about  this lat year Treliving admitted that if they recall guys like Mangiapane they have to do a better job integrating them into the lineup and giving them chances to succeed, how is that going to happen?

Frustrating to see this club continue to make simple mistakes in player development. 

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That Mangiapane recall doesn't make sense and annoys me. Don't get that you send down a young guy because you don't want him playing 4th line only to recall a guy who literally is in the same boat. When I asked him about  this lat year Treliving admitted that if they recall guys like Mangiapane they have to do a better job integrating them into the lineup and giving them chances to succeed, how is that going to happen?

Frustrating to see this club continue to make simple mistakes in player development. 

Have to agree, there are to many mistakes being made between BT and BP's use of his forwards.

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure of the usage they are planning.  With Dube, they gave him every chance to play 3rd line minutes with guys like Neal.  The coach had indicated that he needed to work on some parts of his game, so the minutes were getting reduced.  With Mangiapane, I suspect they feel he can play 3rd line minutes and has a good handle on the finer aspects of the pro game.

Remember, this is a player with a couple years of pro experience and played for Huska last year.  The pre-season was between Dube and Mangiapane.  Dube looked better, partially because Mangiapane had been injured.  Mangiapane is one of the highest p/gp player in Stockton.  Personally, I would have brought up Quine, but he's waiver eleigible, so they couldn't just send him down when everyone is healthy.

Unless you are willing to play Mangiapane no lower than the 3rd line and give him some PP time I don't think you should recall him. 

That means Peters is going to have to be prepared to take Backlund, Neal or Ryan off his 2nd PP unit. Call me skeptical he will do that. Hopefully i'm wrong but I've just seen this movie so many times with this club. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unless you are willing to play Mangiapane no lower than the 3rd line and give him some PP time I don't think you should recall him. 

That means Peters is going to have to be prepared to take Backlund, Neal or Ryan off his 2nd PP unit. Call me skeptical he will do that. Hopefully i'm wrong but I've just seen this movie so many times with this club. 

We saw Dube get time on the PP.  

I think they like the idea of Frolik on the 4th line to balance out the lines.

So that would be Mange-Ryan-Neal.  Or Mange-Janko-Neal.

If either of those lines was able to produce and not be a liability, then they would see increased ice time.

I don't disagree with what you are saying.  Dube did get a pretty fair shot here.  He's not a seasoned pro, so he has some growing to do in his game.  Mangiapane should have those details already sorted out.  Maybe he doesn't but that is the expectation.

It would seem that Mangiapane will debut tonight on the Neal/Ryan line.

Czarnik looks to be scratched in favor of Lomberg.

Smith is confirmed.  Supposedly he begged Sigalet for the start against the Kings (so it was said by some analyst).

This should mean that Rittich starts against CBJ.  Hopefully also Minny.  

CHICAGO - The Flames are expected to make a lineup change this evening when they take on the Blackhawks at 5:00 p.m. MT.

Andrew Mangiapane skated alongside Derek Ryan and James Neal at the morning skate, signalling that he will make his season debut with the Flames. The winger, who was recalled earllier this week, has 14 points in 13 games with the Stockton Heat this year.

Check out the full projected lineup for tonight's tilt:

FORWARDS

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Sam Bennett

Andrew Mangiapane - Derek Ryan - James Neal

Ryan Lomberg - Mark Jankowski - Garnet Hathaway

DEFENCE

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie

Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic

Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDER

Mike Smith