The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

54 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Doesnt he Serve that one game tonight or does he have to be up here to Serve it

I think part of being suspended is that it cost your team a player off the 23 man roster. So, yes you miss a game, but you gotta be in the NHL to serve it. 

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think part of being suspended is that it cost your team a player off the 23 man roster. So, yes you miss a game, but you gotta be in the NHL to serve it. 

That is the case.

SInce he was returned to the AHL, he doesn;t count to the 23 man roster.

13 minutes ago, Amander said:

I wonder if Lomberg gets called up again before the 15th (when we play the wild again)

Not much time.  He would have to come up and sit for the Philly game.

I can;t see it happening right now.

The coach wasn;t that happy about it, even if he respected it.

It puts us in a hole for two games.

My guess is that he only gets called up when they need a healthy body to scratch for a game or two.  We actually have AHL players capable of scoring at the NHL level sitting in Stockton.  Rychel, Foo, are just a few

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If they need to, the can call him back on a game day to serve it, even though he wouldn’t play anyway. 

Their cap situation is not so good right now.

Have to manage that.

Recall to serve a suspension serves no value to us.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Their cap situation is not so good right now.

Have to manage that.

Recall to serve a suspension serves no value to us.

The Flames’ cap? I thought there was a lot of cap room this year,?

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The Flames’ cap? I thought there was a lot of cap room this year,?

According to cap friendly, we are down to $45k.

Not sure how that happened other than having space, having IR and bringing up guys to cover off guys on IR.

It is games like last night that point out the need for some additional consistency with secondary scoring. As good as the team is doing we need to get some players in better spots to contribute. Neal is the most obvious source where more goals should come from so I hope BP gets him lined up with Jankowski and Tkachuk for a period of time. It will take all 3 players but Tkachuk would be the catalyst IMO. We have seen BP try to work in Backlund and Bennett for more offense but that simply is not working. All is not lost because we also have to prevent goals something all of Bennett, Backlund and Frolik have come to know and are good at it, put them together. Ryan IMO is a younger better Stajan type that should C our 4th line and be used where needed should a short term injury or suspension occur. This arrangement puts the players that shold be in our top  and allows for a very functionable 4th line.

I like what we are seeing from all our defensemen and that the different pairings when needed do the job.

Our Goalies are playing well now.

Go FLAMES Go

• Like 2

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

According to cap friendly, we are down to $45k.

Not sure how that happened other than having space, having IR and bringing up guys to cover off guys on IR.

Combination of 14 million on the IR and having 2 extra bodies up (Vailev and Quinn). The fact that the Flames have that much money on IR and are still under the cap tells you that once it gets sorted out they'll be fine. 

Flames are not using LTIR for any of the injured players either

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Combination of 14 million on the IR and having 2 extra bodies up (Vailev and Quinn). The fact that the Flames have that much money on IR and are still under the cap tells you that once it gets sorted out they'll be fine. 

Flames are not using LTIR for any of the injured players either

The point being that they can't go above the cap in their present situatuion.  With Frolik and Valimaki's status unknown, this could last some time.  No point whatsoever wasting the little they do have on Lomberg.  Keeping up Peluso serves no useful purpose either.

No, it's not dire, but use the call ups and players that contribute.  No need to bring up Lomberg to serve a suspension.  That can wait.

23 minutes ago, Squilliam89 said:

any word on Backs

Peters commented in his post game presser they still don't know how long he will be out for. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The point being that they can't go above the cap in their present situatuion.  With Frolik and Valimaki's status unknown, this could last some time.  No point whatsoever wasting the little they do have on Lomberg.  Keeping up Peluso serves no useful purpose either.

No, it's not dire, but use the call ups and players that contribute.  No need to bring up Lomberg to serve a suspension.  That can wait.

I think they can retroactive the IR for them if they need to. 

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think they can retroactive the IR for them if they need to. 

Color me embarrassed.  Didn't see Lomberg being recalled, but whatever.  Extra body.  

The guys are on IR, just not LTIR.  

I just figured that Lombo PO'd the coach.  

Then again it was BP's choice to send Lombo over the boards.

Lomberg is effective at a couple thing, just don't think he's an upgrade to Czarnik.

Skating - equal

Forechecking - equal, slight nod to Lomberg

Hitting and Fighting - edge to Lomberg

Hockey IQ - edge to Czarnik

Maybe it's just my warped opinion, but I don't see Lomberg as a NHL player.  Brings some things to the table, but mostly takes away from potential offense.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Color me embarrassed.  Didn't see Lomberg being recalled, but whatever.  Extra body.  

Lomberg did exactly as BP wanted. BP can't really say that "out loud" , but Lomberg did his job. He was sent down for a few reasons but I think mostly to appease the "snowflakes" "stick huggers" in the league and media. LOL. Now he is brought back to help pay a few bucks for his suspension. Class move by BT and maybe BP to reward a player for following orders no matter the outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Lomberg is effective at a couple thing, just don't think he's an upgrade to Czarnik.

Skating - equal

Maybe it's just my warped opinion, but I don't see Lomberg as a NHL player.  Brings some things to the table, but mostly takes away from potential offense.  

These are the little things that help brings a team together. Czarnik has not done much of anything since the season started.

Skating - equal

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-recall-ryan-lomberg-from-stockton/c-302794214?tid=282300716

Lomberg with the call up.

The 15th might get interesting 

• Like 1

Skating - equal

Yup.

You might be missing the point of Lomberg. He lends intensity. Undoubtedly Huska wants him up when we get listless.

Not a chance BP is PO'd. Go beat on Dumba. The guy's 6" shorter. Dumba turtles???

Sending him down was BT waving at the NHL with 1 finger.

They gave him a game. Then said, "we're adding another, just because we can".

If we're gonna have Peluso/Prout, my vote is Lomberg.

You've been putting Lomberg down for awhile. I think you might be missing the point. If he grabs that 4 LW I'll be happy.

Lomberg and Hathaway on the 4th wings.

That'd be some forechecking if Lomberg can figure out the jump.

He's got big fans in BT and Huska.

Might be a thing. He's getting his shot now. They obviously want what he does. He definitely looks a bit overwhelmed compared to the A though.

Lomberg's heart is his biggest asset, our regulars see a guy who doesn't know which team he'll be on tomorrow showing the most passion.

That Satoshi Nakamoto gets contagious.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Amander said:

It will be interesting. Will say a lot about Dumba as a player, after laying a questionable hit, least he can do is take on a Lomberg or Hathaway.

Few years ago Malkin, who is not a fighter obviously, had a questionable hit against the Jets, and as a result he was willing to take on a tough man in Wheeler.

My opinion is just if Dumba wants to crush guys fine, no issue there but know that there will be guys coming after you, especially with matchups so close together

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It will be interesting. Will say a lot about Dumba as a player, after laying a questionable hit, least he can do is take on a Lomberg or Hathaway.

Few years ago Malkin, who is not a fighter obviously, had a questionable hit against the Jets, and as a result he was willing to take on a tough man in Wheeler.

My opinion is just if Dumba wants to crush guys fine, no issue there but know that there will be guys coming after you, especially with matchups so close together

I remember that. Russians have a code at least equal to NA, most likely ahead of NA players.

Aaaand their interviews are honest, not trained and scripted.

We need some no nonsense Russians. lol

• Like 2