The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Stone and Brouwer do not belong on the Flames 20 man unit that plays nightly.

One is already #7 on the D depth chart, while the other one is destined for the 4th line to gum that up.

Mangiapane does not belong in the AHL.  He's done everything you could ask.

Czarnik is fast, skilled and not easy to knock off the puck.

Klimchuk scored less in junior and has had a hard time staying healthy or being consistent.  Does not mean his ceiling is a 4th line player.

You can make a case for playing 2 of 3 of them with Janko in the 4th line.  It becomes a battling line that has skill to score and a good 2-way C to balance them out.  Balanced scoring is what the team lacked last season.  4th line almost nothing.  3rd line okay.  2nd line reduced output except for Tkachuk scoring a lot on the PP.  The 4th line does not need to play only 8-10 minutes.  You give the minutes to whichever line has success.

Maybe Valimaki is good enough to play this year.  I would like to see him play 9 games, but go back to the AHL to continue to develop.  He's man-sized right now, and his hockey sense is very good, but I think he would be best served by playing a year in the AHL.  We have Hanifin getting used to the team, even if the coaching is going to be similar.  We have Brodie moving back to RD.  We have Andersson likely playing a full season.  Adding Valimaki to the mix will put a big strain on coaching.  Too much teaching required to too many.

Dube and Foo are also going to make strong cases this year.  Dube should probably be considered as a potential captain in Stockton.   Between him, Valimaki and Gawdin, we have some strong leadership joining the team.  

56 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

One is already #7 on the D depth chart, while the other one is destined for the 4th line to gum that up.

Klimchuk scored less in junior and has had a hard time staying healthy or being consistent.  Does not mean his ceiling is a 4th line player.

You can make a case for playing 2 of 3 of them with Janko in the 4th line.  It becomes a battling line that has skill to score and a good 2-way C to balance them out.  Balanced scoring is what the team lacked last season.  4th line almost nothing.  3rd line okay.  2nd line reduced output except for Tkachuk scoring a lot on the PP.  The 4th line does not need to play only 8-10 minutes.  You give the minutes to whichever line has success.

Maybe Valimaki is good enough to play this year.  I would like to see him play 9 games, but go back to the AHL to continue to develop.  He's man-sized right now, and his hockey sense is very good, but I think he would be best served by playing a year in the AHL.  We have Hanifin getting used to the team, even if the coaching is going to be similar.  We have Brodie moving back to RD.  We have Andersson likely playing a full season.  Adding Valimaki to the mix will put a big strain on coaching.  Too much teaching required to too many.

Dube and Foo are also going to make strong cases this year.  Dube should probably be considered as a potential captain in Stockton.   Between him, Valimaki and Gawdin, we have some strong leadership joining the team.  

Where is this depth chart you keep referring to ?

We can all give our ideas and debate who is better than who but the truth is, certain players are on one way contract and have been talked about very highly. After arbitration we may see the team walk away from certain guys like they did with Colburne. 

Ryan is not going to be on the fourth line, not when he is paid over 3mil. Plus with his faceoff numbers he will atleast be getting third line minutes with better than fourth line guys to drive possession and give some help to the scoring lines.

Czarnik is going to be on the season staring line up for sure, he is one guy that BT won't stop raving about so I believe he will get a good chunk of games to adjust to BP playing style before getting his final grade.

Jankowski will not hit the fourth line, he will get moved to the wing before they bury him on the fourth line.

Stone is not a 7th dman on this team, and further more there are not 6 more proven dmen in our system. Sure there are guys we think can be better but at this point unless a trade happens on the back end, which I don't think will happen than last years d with the Hamilton/Hanafin swap is what we are most likely to see.

• Like 1

Johnny/Mony/Neal

Tkachuk/Backlund/Lindholm

Bennett/Ryan/Jankowski

Czarnik/Dube/Frolik

Janko and Czarnik may swap places but I think this is close to as realistic as we can expect with the stat of things contract wise.

10 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You really have a hair trigger, don't you. You don't even take logic into your thinking. The AHL is a pro league, the first level most of these players have in order to adjust away from Junior or College play. Why choose to throw away additional development and further evaluation time in order to have a better prepared player. You totally ignore the importance of experience for these players in order to reach their potential, it isn't automatic. Hoping trial by fire and learning on the job works is no way to manage a professional level team.

I agree. 

Give Valimaki a few games at the NHL level to start. Tell him that it was like when he was in JR where they have penciled him into a few games if he earned. But tell him the plan is to send him down with an idea of what he has to work on.

we kinda ruined Bennett by not playing him in the AHL for awhile by thinking he was too good for Jr and thinking he won’t learn there. Learning on the job can be hazardous. 

One thing Tkachuk has is he was born in an NHL RINK, he grew up with NHL players. He already had an idea of what it took. We also kept him in a position to succeed and he ran with it. We threw the other guy into the water to learn how to swim on his own.

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree. 

Give Valimaki a few games at the NHL level to start. Tell him that it was like when he was in JR where they have penciled him into a few games if he earned. But tell him the plan is to send him down with an idea of what he has to work on.

we kinda ruined Bennett by not playing him in the AHL for awhile by thinking he was too good for Jr and thinking he won’t learn there. Learning on the job can be hazardous. 

One thing Tkachuk has is he was born in an NHL RINK, he grew up with NHL players. He already had an idea of what it took. We also kept him in a position to succeed and he ran with it. We threw the other guy into the water to learn how to swim on his own.

Every player is different. Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, etc were all fine starting in the NHL. There was a time when it paid to cook your prospects in the minors, but more and more we are seeing young guys impact the game with limited or no time playing in the AHL. 

I think Valimaki will start in the A. In part because I think it is most likely he isn't ready for the NHL, in part because of the depth we have at the position. But I don't think you make a plan let alone tell your prospect that. If he earns a spot he should get that spot. 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Right on about all the changes.  It will be very interesting to see what happens.  Whatever case, we should have a strong team in Stockton, and much better here.  

5 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Every player is different. Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, etc were all fine starting in the NHL. There was a time when it paid to cook your prospects in the minors, but more and more we are seeing young guys impact the game with limited or no time playing in the AHL. 

I think Valimaki will start in the A. In part because I think it is most likely he isn't ready for the NHL, in part because of the depth we have at the position. But I don't think you make a plan let alone tell your prospect that. If he earns a spot he should get that spot. 

They told him that last year, saying it’s his job to change their minds. He might even do have the talent to do that. I just don’t wanna limit him, but drive him. They’re never gonna say he’s on the team aside from when he stakes his claim. 

My guess is, Bennett and Jankowski get moved, possibly for a goalie. They’re hard to fit into this roster without limiting them to the 4th line.

5 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

We can all give our ideas and debate who is better than who but the truth is, certain players are on one way contract and have been talked about very highly. After arbitration we may see the team walk away from certain guys like they did with Colburne. 

Ryan is not going to be on the fourth line, not when he is paid over 3mil. Plus with his faceoff numbers he will atleast be getting third line minutes with better than fourth line guys to drive possession and give some help to the scoring lines.

Czarnik is going to be on the season staring line up for sure, he is one guy that BT won't stop raving about so I believe he will get a good chunk of games to adjust to BP playing style before getting his final grade.

Jankowski will not hit the fourth line, he will get moved to the wing before they bury him on the fourth line.

Stone is not a 7th dman on this team, and further more there are not 6 more proven dmen in our system. Sure there are guys we think can be better but at this point unless a trade happens on the back end, which I don't think will happen than last years d with the Hamilton/Hanafin swap is what we are most likely to see.

There are lots of assumptions here. Though some are probably fair. 

I agree Czarnik, Quine, and Kulak have an advantage since they would have to clear waivers. Czarnik and Kulak at least would probably be claimed so I doubt the Flames put them on waivers. It's going to make it tougher for guys like Foo, Dube, or Valimaki to make the team. But not impossible. 

I don't agree that Jankowski or Ryan won't see games on the fourth line. Jankowski in particular is someone I think they want at centre. We are deep at forward and should be able to ice a strong fourth line. 

I really don't agree Stone is a lock for the starting line up. Andersson played better then he did last season and there will be a lot of competition for the 6 spot. 

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree. 

We did not throw Bennett into the water to learn how to swim.  In fact, in case you were not aware, he got exactly the same treatment as Tkachuk his rookie year-a full year with Backlund and Frolik.  Valimaki should be treated the same as other top players, ie stays if he earns it and goes down if he doesn’t.  

18 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Yes.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

They told him that last year, saying it’s his job to change their minds. He might even do have the talent to do that. I just don’t wanna limit him, but drive him. They’re never gonna say he’s on the team aside from when he stakes his claim. 

My guess is, Bennett and Jankowski get moved, possibly for a goalie. They’re hard to fit into this roster without limiting them to the 4th line.

I think the top 6 and top 4 are close to being set at least in paper (Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal, Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm, Giordano-Brodie, Hanifin-Hamonic). But I think there are plenty of options for the bottom 6 and bottom pair. Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik could be a third line for example. 

I do think Treliving could move a forward for defensive depth or a goalie. Frolik is a good candidate. Bennett of Jankowski might be for a strong return. But it won't surprise me if he goes into camp with the extra depth. 

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

We did not throw Bennett into the water to learn how to swim.  In fact, in case you were not aware, he got exactly the same treatment as Tkachuk his rookie year-a full year with Backlund and Frolik.  Valimaki should be treated the same as other top players, ie stays if he earns it and goes down if he doesn’t.  

I was talking about the year after where he was put at Center to only have Brouwer to play with for most of the year. Hardly the same treatment for Tkachuk who was given two seasons with a vet like Backs.

Jankowski outplayed Bennett yet most are still wanting to give Bennett favorable ice time. It is based solely on his draft spot and not on anything he has shown. He should have been put back in juniors however now he should play fourth line to limit his mistakes and bad penalties until he can think the game at a higher level. (If the third line gets broken up)

5 hours ago, TheBurn said:

Jankowski outplayed Bennett yet most are still wanting to give Bennett favorable ice time. It is based solely on his draft spot and not on anything he has shown. He should have been put back in juniors however now he should play fourth line to limit his mistakes and bad penalties until he can think the game at a higher level. (If the third line gets broken up)

That is a bit harsh. Both out up similar points (Bennett had one more) and Bennett is a year younger. Beyond that, Bennett showed his potential in his first season by putting up almost 40 points and making an impact in the playoffs. I think that has as much (or more) impact on people's perception then the draft position. 

Personally for me, I have Bennett in the top 9 more because I see him as a LWer then a C. There is more space on the LW. But I like both Jankowski and Bennett. 

I will say this, if Bennett doesn't look good with the new coach I see less rope for him then Jankowski. He is running out of excuses and needs to start showing progress. 

9 minutes ago, kehatch said:

That is a bit harsh. Both out up similar points (Bennett had one more) and Bennett is a year younger. Beyond that, Bennett showed his potential in his first season by putting up almost 40 points and making an impact in the playoffs. I think that has as much (or more) impact on people's perception then the draft position. 

Yes Bennett put up 1 more point and is a year younger. But the difference is, it was Janko's rookie year and first season, while Bennett is in his third year Yes Bennett did have that big first year, but after that he has fallen off a cliff and hasn't really been able to get back to that. I'm not giving up on him, but I really feel like he is on his final leg to prove he's anything more than a third-line grinder.

7 minutes ago, Khrox said:

Yes Bennett put up 1 more point and is a year younger. But the difference is, it was Janko's rookie year and first season, while Bennett is in his third year Yes Bennett did have that big first year, but after that he has fallen off a cliff and hasn't really been able to get back to that. I'm not giving up on him, but I really feel like he is on his final leg to prove he's anything more than a third-line grinder.

I don't disagree. I do think Bennett has the skill to be a game breaker, and his pesky play fits the identity the Flames are trying to build (see Neal, Tkachuk, Hathaway, etc). But he is at the point he needs to realize some of his potential. 

14 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Personally for me, I have Bennett in the top 9 more because I see him as a LWer then a C. There is more space on the LW. But I like both Jankowski and Bennett. 

I will say this, if Bennett doesn't look good with the new coach I see less rope for him then Jankowski. He is running out of excuses and needs to start showing progress. 

The one thing I would say about Janko is that he's used his opportunities better.  Gets promoted to top line and scores 4 goals.

Sure, it's game 82, but VGK iced most of it's team.  Bennett has done very little playing with Johnny.

But, what you say is so true.  He can be an impact player.  He does have a bit of an excuse considering who he has played with.  I would like to see him play with Ryan and Frolik, just to see him get the chance with more stable/consistent guys.  Not a shot against Janko, just the reality that a rookie is not on the same page sometimes.  

This is his big chance to show he has the hockey sense in the NHL.  He's done it once before.  He's going to play with guys that can read the play.  If he can cut down on the lazy penalties it will go a long way to helping him be on the right side of the puck.  In other words he will get more chances.  BP will likely sit him if he's not making progress, but that will be a learning opportunity.  There's some good parts of his game there, he just needs to be a more complete player.  

I am suggesting we ice 4 competitive lines, and no, Brouwer is not part of that discussion.

Mangiapane and Czarnik should be considered for 4th line duty and Janko can be their C.  Quine could be a 13th.  Hathaway or Lazar or Brouwer the 14th.

I don't think Ryan ends up on the 4th line.  Frolik doesn;t work on the 4th line if Janko plays with Bennett.

Maybe I think too much in terms of guys that have played RW over LHS that typically play LW or C.  I don;t see a fit for Janko on RW.  

For me, I will stick with the following, even though there are many options:

JH-Mony-Neal (Lindholm)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm (Neal)

Bennett-Ryan-Folik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Nobody plays out of their position, except for Lindholm at RW over C.

We have a true RW on each line.

Each line has skill to win faceoffs and score goals.

Maybe the 4th line is a little laking in NHL experience, but they are fast an efficient at scoring in the AHL.

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

Define what determines "earned" in a 2 week camp. There is always a plan, whether it prevails or not is up to the player. I think the best example we have would be Tkachuk at 18 was not going to take no for an answer for making the team. Right now we have a logjam with our D corps and should they want Andersson to play and do well it should be on the RS which pushes Stone to the sidelines or LS. Balancing playing time between Stone, Kulak and Andersson will be a challenge without adding Valimaki immediately.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I don't disagree. I do think Bennett has the skill to be a game breaker, and his pesky play fits the identity the Flames are trying to build (see Neal, Tkachuk, Hathaway, etc). But he is at the point he needs to realize some of his potential. 

I don't see anything wrong should Bennett turn out like a Glencross type that can play anywhere along LW as he gains experience. Bennett will get better, so far the experience has not been great and where his salary goes is up to him and BT eventually.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The one thing I would say about Janko is that he's used his opportunities better.  Gets promoted to top line and scores 4 goals.

Sure, it's game 82, but VGK iced most of it's team.  Bennett has done very little playing with Johnny.

But, what you say is so true.  He can be an impact player.  He does have a bit of an excuse considering who he has played with.  I would like to see him play with Ryan and Frolik, just to see him get the chance with more stable/consistent guys.  Not a shot against Janko, just the reality that a rookie is not on the same page sometimes.  

This is his big chance to show he has the hockey sense in the NHL.  He's done it once before.  He's going to play with guys that can read the play.  If he can cut down on the lazy penalties it will go a long way to helping him be on the right side of the puck.  In other words he will get more chances.  BP will likely sit him if he's not making progress, but that will be a learning opportunity.  There's some good parts of his game there, he just needs to be a more complete player.  

I am suggesting we ice 4 competitive lines, and no, Brouwer is not part of that discussion.

Mangiapane and Czarnik should be considered for 4th line duty and Janko can be their C.  Quine could be a 13th.  Hathaway or Lazar or Brouwer the 14th.

I don't think Ryan ends up on the 4th line.  Frolik doesn;t work on the 4th line if Janko plays with Bennett.

Maybe I think too much in terms of guys that have played RW over LHS that typically play LW or C.  I don;t see a fit for Janko on RW.  

JH-Mony-Neal (Lindholm)

Bennett-Ryan-Folik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Maybe the 4th line is a little laking in NHL experience, but they are fast an efficient at scoring in the AHL.

Why should Quine be in the discussion ? What has he done ? Czarnik is an exciting player and was likely brought in to raise the challenge of ice time for that final RW spot.

I think Jankowski will thrive as a 4th line C a bit less pressure as he continues to gain experience. I still wouldn't use Mangiapane in a 4th line capacity but we will see where the mindset of the new coaching staff goes. I would rather have the fire power of Mangiapane, Dube and Foo firing on all cylinders as depth in Stockton.

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

JH-Mony-Neal (Lindholm)

Bennett-Ryan-Folik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

I really hope that we move to the model of running four competitive lines. There is so much potential and little downside as far as I can tell. It provides more scoring punch because more lines are threatening, and allows Peters to make a lot of adjustments when needed. It also makes room for talented players to move onto the team. If Peters wishes, he can always double-shift JH-Mony-Neal (Lindholm). I am not sure that it makes much sense to have a fourth line comprised of afterthoughts.

On the Bennett front, this is obviously an important year for him. I suspect that renewed focus on his part, and appropriate line mates will significantly improve his game. In the end, he may just become a player who continuously improves for several years rather than having a miraculous break out year. Some are correct in their assertion that Tkachuk faced similar challenges and surpassed expectations while Bennett has not. I am not sure if that is relevant though. Every player is different with different needs. Not everyone is capable of drawing upon resources at their disposal the same way. For me, Bennett may well break out soon. But, even if his improvement is gradual, the key is that his contract reflects his contributions. It may even benefit the Flames financially.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I really hope that we move to the model of running four competitive lines. There is so much potential and little downside as far as I can tell. It provides more scoring punch because more lines are threatening, and allows Peters to make a lot of adjustments when needed. It also makes room for talented players to move onto the team. If Peters wishes, he can always double-shift JH-Mony-Neal (Lindholm). I am not sure that it makes much sense to have a fourth line comprised of afterthoughts.

On the Bennett front, this is obviously an important year for him. I suspect that renewed focus on his part, and appropriate line mates will significantly improve his game. In the end, he may just become a player who continuously improves for several years rather than having a miraculous break out year. Some are correct in their assertion that Tkachuk faced similar challenges and surpassed expectations while Bennett has not. I am not sure if that is relevant though. Every player is different with different needs. Not everyone is capable of drawing upon resources at their disposal the same way. For me, Bennett may well break out soon. But, even if his improvement is gradual, the key is that his contract reflects his contributions. It may even benefit the Flames financially.

I think we all need to step back and realize Tkachuk is not yet a polished player yet either and has a few areas of his game to improve. The decision to keep Tkachuk and shelter him with Backlund and Frolik did end up effecting Bennett. BP has an opportunity to get Bennett back on track if he plays him in a similar situation as Tkachuk with two solid line mates like Ryan and Frolik or even Ryan and Lindholm. Either way we need Bennett to have a great season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

We saw a grinder 4th line last year, and they provided little contribution.  Couldn't keep the puck out of the net.  Couldn't score.

There may be some benefit in the playoffs to having a grinder line, but if you can;t keep up, it makes no difference pounding skill guys into the boards.

We've made mistakes in the past, where guys over-ripen in the AHL to the point of wearing down their skill.

Waiting for an injury call-up to bring in Mangiapane doesn't make a lot of sense.  The guys is NHL ready, the same way Janko was last year.

Ice lines that make sense, not just because that the only spot left for a guy that's dropped on the depth chart.  

Anyway, we will see who earns it this fall and who we trade away.  I would not be surprised to see Stone dealt, nor would I be all that surprised to see Bennett dealt.  If the latter happens, it's because of them getting a good enough player in return or there were issues with the player they won;t mention.    

1 hour ago, Khrox said:

Yes Bennett put up 1 more point and is a year younger. But the difference is, it was Janko's rookie year and first season, while Bennett is in his third year 

He's 2 year younger. Big difference there too. 

I really wonder what the story would be if Jankowski didn't score those 4 goals in such a meaningless game. All in all Jankow had a very meh rookie season, was not better than Bennett and honestly If you look at last year's Sam Bennett (his rookie year at center) I think he out played what Jankowkski did this year. Yet the story seems to be trending towards Bennett is a bust but yet Jankowski is a keeper with big potential. Doesn't make sense and likely  a lot of recency bias. 

• Like 1