Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

It is essential that our1st line be back together now working on things together. We aren't going anywhere without them leading the way.

As far as our 3rd line goes or our 4th line we haven't really known who is where and when all season. Focus should be here now with Neal coming back in.

I love that players such as Ryan, Mangiapane, Czarnik and Hathaway have picked up the slack because its a good testament to our depth. Now BP needs to best deploy them. Personally I would go with Mangiapane, Ryan and Neal heading into the playoffs. If Bennett makes it back I would go Bennett, Jankowski, Hathaway for the 4th line. Use Czarnik on his off wing until Bennett makes it back or give Quine some games.

so many players.. so few spots.. what a great predicament to be in.. wonder if Dube reappears

for the playoffs

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

so many players.. so few spots.. what a great predicament to be in.. wonder if Dube reappears

for the playoffs

 

 

I can't see them bringing in Dube given how good the current depth is playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I can't see them bringing in Dube given how good the current depth is playing.

 

IIRC, BT has said that he intends on calling up Valimaki as soon as possible.

Both him and Dube can come up as Black Aces for the playoffs, but he intended on getting Valimaki (at least) some games prior to the playoffs.  If we sew up 1st in the West, count on one or both getting a game in at the minimum.

We have 2 regular callups right now.

 

We have 13 healthy forwards right now, 14 including Bennett.

We should have at least 2 extra LW and 2 extra C's going into the playoffs, at minimum.

The Black Aces get to practice with the team, so once the AHL season in done April 14th, all signed to NHL contracts could be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

IIRC, BT has said that he intends on calling up Valimaki as soon as possible.

Both him and Dube can come up as Black Aces for the playoffs, but he intended on getting Valimaki (at least) some games prior to the playoffs.  If we sew up 1st in the West, count on one or both getting a game in at the minimum.

We have 2 regular callups right now.

 

We have 13 healthy forwards right now, 14 including Bennett.

We should have at least 2 extra LW and 2 extra C's going into the playoffs, at minimum.

The Black Aces get to practice with the team, so once the AHL season in done April 14th, all signed to NHL contracts could be available.

Good to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, travel_dude said:
rW3GHLl6_bigger.jpgPat SteinbergVerified account @Fan960Steinberg
FollowFollow @Fan960Steinberg
More

#FlamesNHLFlames.png at practice today:

Gaudreau-Ryan-Frolik

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Neal-Monahan-Czarnik/Bennett

Mangiapane-Jankowksi-Hathaway

 

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Fantenberg-Andersson

Kylington-Stone

 

WOW BP must really be PO'd. LOL

Have to admit to being curious for a long time what Lindholm could do with or for Backlund and Tkachuk.

I don't understand the reluctance or resistance to at least trying Gaudreau, Monahan and Neal together for a stretch.

I wouldn't mind seeing what a buzz line Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik could do together.

Which leaves Frolik, Jankowski, Hathaway which would or should be a good checking line together.

SHAKE IT UP

Now just tell Hanafin and Hamonic to quit taking so many stupid risks and work on their coverage assignments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

WOW BP must really be PO'd. LOL

Have to admit to being curious for a long time what Lindholm could do with or for Backlund and Tkachuk.

I don't understand the reluctance or resistance to at least trying Gaudreau, Monahan and Neal together for a stretch.

I wouldn't mind seeing what a buzz line Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik could do together.

Which leave Frolik, Jankowski, Hathaway which would or should be a good checking line together.

SHAKE IT UP

Now just tell Hanafin and Hamonic to quit taking so many stupid risks and work on their coverage assignments.

 

Gaudreau and Ryan looked ok together the last time they played, and it's obvious that Monahan and Lindholm are not going, so having a player that is skating with Gaudreau helps him. The hope is that Backlund and Tkachuk can get Lindholm going. I don't know what is with the two, but I wonder if they're injured. 

 

Monahan's previous record shows decline when he gets injured. At least that was the excuse last year. He had three surgeries, and so you could forgive the down in play. He's not skating as well and he's not getting the puck up, and he's thinking of passing over shooting right now. He's either injured and is passing because he doesn't have the confidence/strength to get it up, or he's in a horrible slump that therefore screws with his confidence and so he's passing it off instead. 

 

I think the team takes a lot of beating in front of nets, I don't know whether the Flames are the only team that takes the hacks on the hands as they do, and it's just not called, but I think the league has to do something about it as players like Monahan will have their career cut short if they have to live with the injuries they way has has had to at the end of the last few seasons. I think we're pretty lucky Gaudreau hasn't been injured as much or as severely. 

 

Back to answering your post:

 

I don't like having that many slow guys on the ice together. But I guess it depends on whether they move the puck up fast, because the puck moves faster than feet. I like the idea of Lindholm with Tkachuk and Backlund. I wanted that line from the start of the season, only because I felt that Monahan and Gaudreau could play with almost anyone. It became very evident to me that Neal was playing slow hockey most of the season, so he was dragging whatever line he was on down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Gaudreau and Ryan looked ok together the last time they played, and it's obvious that Monahan and Lindholm are not going, so having a player that is skating with Gaudreau helps him. The hope is that Backlund and Tkachuk can get Lindholm going. I don't know what is with the two, but I wonder if they're injured. 

 

Monahan's previous record shows decline when he gets injured. At least that was the excuse last year. He had three surgeries, and so you could forgive the down in play. He's not skating as well and he's not getting the puck up, and he's thinking of passing over shooting right now. He's either injured and is passing because he doesn't have the confidence/strength to get it up, or he's in a horrible slump that therefore screws with his confidence and so he's passing it off instead. 

 

I think the team takes a lot of beating in front of nets, I don't know whether the Flames are the only team that takes the hacks on the hands as they do, and it's just not called, but I think the league has to do something about it as players like Monahan will have their career cut short if they have to live with the injuries they way has has had to at the end of the last few seasons. I think we're pretty lucky Gaudreau hasn't been injured as much or as severely. 

 

Back to answering your post:

 

I don't like having that many slow guys on the ice together. But I guess it depends on whether they move the puck up fast, because the puck moves faster than feet. I like the idea of Lindholm with Tkachuk and Backlund. I wanted that line from the start of the season, only because I felt that Monahan and Gaudreau could play with almost anyone. It became very evident to me that Neal was playing slow hockey most of the season, so he was dragging whatever line he was on down. 

We agree 100% on the Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm line from the start however my thinking was they didn't want to leave Tkachuk without Backlund due to his skating. If this was the thinking in combination of getting more offense out of Backlund or the line as a whole then Lindholm over Frolik is a solid idea IMO.

In regards to a line of Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal I agree Monahan or Neal are not speed demons but I wouldn't put them in the slow category. Both are very solid with their positioning on the ice to make up for lack of speed. Ferland or Hudler were not speed demons either and they produced well on that RW, I think Neal would do the same.

Back to Monahan I hope he is 100% injury free and just taking awhile getting his game back from being off there. He goes in bunches so I would leave it alone and make the Lindholm and Neal changes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

WOW BP must really be PO'd. LOL

Have to admit to being curious for a long time what Lindholm could do with or for Backlund and Tkachuk.

I don't understand the reluctance or resistance to at least trying Gaudreau, Monahan and Neal together for a stretch.

I wouldn't mind seeing what a buzz line Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik could do together.

Which leave Frolik, Jankowski, Hathaway which would or should be a good checking line together.

SHAKE IT UP

Now just tell Hanafin and Hamonic to quit taking so many stupid risks and work on their coverage assignments.

 

To be clear, BP said this may or may not even be what the lines look like.

He wants to get some balance.

He talked to Lindy about playing more C.

The general sense of what he said is that he wants to try a few things out now, so they have a few looks.

The Janko line, as constructed is the former Heat line.

Three guys; Speedy, Big and Gritty.

I don't think he really is set with Neal and Czarnik together.

I do think he wants to try out Monahan woth Neal and Bennett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

To be clear, BP said this may or may not even be what the lines look like.

He wants to get some balance.

He talked to Lindy about playing more C.

The general sense of what he said is that he wants to try a few things out now, so they have a few looks.

The Janko line, as constructed is the former Heat line.

Three guys; Speedy, Big and Gritty.

I don't think he really is set with Neal and Czarnik together.

I do think he wants to try out Monahan woth Neal and Bennett.

Why stop now, BP has been doing this with the forward lines all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:
rW3GHLl6_bigger.jpgPat SteinbergVerified account @Fan960Steinberg
FollowFollow @Fan960Steinberg
More

#FlamesNHLFlames.png at practice today:

Gaudreau-Ryan-Frolik

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Neal-Monahan-Czarnik/Bennett

Mangiapane-Jankowksi-Hathaway

 

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Fantenberg-Andersson

Kylington-Stone

 

 

I know it's only pre-season but those lines are brutal.

 

 

 

 

...Wait wat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

I know it's only pre-season but those lines are brutal.

 

 

 

 

...Wait wat?

I think move Monahan to the 3rd C, sure. He just hasn't been himself. Not sure the point of breaking up 3m, they've played very well.

Shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel for Mony's sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think move Monahan to the 3rd C, sure. He just hasn't been himself. Not sure the point of breaking up 3m, they've played very well.

Shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel for Mony's sake.

 

That plus, Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway have been good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

That plus, Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway have been good.  

Agreed. But the options are Ryan or Janx at 1C, so I'd go Ryan, drop Janx to 4 and Mony to 3.

I'm typically never complaining about Mony, but he's just been bad lately. The one thing he normally does really well is backcheck to keep the play in the O zone and the 1st line feasts on turnovers. It just isn't happening anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, conundrumed said:

Agreed. But the options are Ryan or Janx at 1C, so I'd go Ryan, drop Janx to 4 and Mony to 3.

I'm typically never complaining about Mony, but he's just been bad lately. The one thing he normally does really well is backcheck to keep the play in the O zone and the 1st line feasts on turnovers. It just isn't happening anymore.

I just hope he is healthy going into the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cowtownguy said:

I just hope he is healthy going into the playoffs.

 

Monahan sure doesn't look healthy.  If he needs to rest a full week then we should give him a full week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

To be clear, BP said this may or may not even be what the lines look like.

He wants to get some balance.

He talked to Lindy about playing more C.

The general sense of what he said is that he wants to try a few things out now, so they have a few looks.

The Janko line, as constructed is the former Heat line.

Three guys; Speedy, Big and Gritty.

I don't think he really is set with Neal and Czarnik together.

I do think he wants to try out Monahan woth Neal and Bennett.

hathaway/ryan/frolik as our number one defensive line..monahan with czarnik and mangiapane  to get some spark outta  monahan.. Tkachuk with backlund and neal and jonny with  lindstrom and jankowski would be my shake-up

when bennetts back.. switch of him with janko

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

Monahan sure doesn't look healthy.  If he needs to rest a full week then we should give him a full week.

After becoming the Bionic Man last year, it is concerning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

After becoming the Bionic Man last year, it is concerning. 

 

I know man I know.  He needs surgery.  It's so obvious he's toughing it out again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sold that he's injured that badly. Unless it's a brain injury. He had 4-5 chances to shoot last night and just refuses every time. His vision and ability to get to open ice and steal pucks seems to have disintegrated.

I think they've been toying with the Bennet-Mony-Neal idea for at least a week now. Just surmising that with all 3 coming off injury they were skating together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not sold that he's injured that badly. Unless it's a brain injury. He had 4-5 chances to shoot last night and just refuses every time. His vision and ability to get to open ice and steal pucks seems to have disintegrated.

I think they've been toying with the Bennet-Mony-Neal idea for at least a week now. Just surmising that with all 3 coming off injury they were skating together.

They’ve been keeping Bennett out until he’s 100%. If Monahan was hurt they’d do the same most likely. Maybe he has some minor injury, but I think it’s just he’s playing very poorly.

 

This postseason will be very telling of 13 and 23 I think. They have a reputation of disappearing when the game gets hard, will they shed that rep or will it grow this spring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd still argue the OHL line (Bennett-Mony-Tkachuk) could be a monster, maybe next year.

Leaves prolly JG-Lindholm-Neal.

Neal's struggles, imho, is he's playing way too much perimeter hockey. He wouldn't be able to with those 2 is my belief.

The 3M becomes Mangia-Mikael-Michael.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the latest on Bennett ? I'm sure we would have heard if it was a shoulder or collar bone injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

What is the latest on Bennett ? I'm sure we would have heard if it was a shoulder or collar bone injury.

 

They haven't said out loud what it is, so I'm thinking it stems from the hit on the boards some time ago.

It sounded like they kept him off the ice, so I suspect it's post concussion.

The fact that he's skating is encouraging, as they won't even let him do that if he has symptoms.

 

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd still argue the OHL line (Bennett-Mony-Tkachuk) could be a monster, maybe next year.

Leaves prolly JG-Lindholm-Neal.

Neal's struggles, imho, is he's playing way too much perimeter hockey. He wouldn't be able to with those 2 is my belief.

The 3M becomes Mangia-Mikael-Michael.

 

I agree about Neal playing with JH and Lindy.

May not be a good fit for the playoffs, but you need more than 12 minutes of Neal to get a real deal.

We'll see where they go with the lines tonight and how long they last.

 

By the looks of it, the lines from practice are the starting lines.

No word on Bennett being ready to roll yet.

Looks like Neal-Monahan-Czarnik for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

They haven't said out loud what it is, so I'm thinking it stems from the hit on the boards some time ago.

It sounded like they kept him off the ice, so I suspect it's post concussion.

The fact that he's skating is encouraging, as they won't even let him do that if he has symptoms.

 

 

I agree about Neal playing with JH and Lindy.

May not be a good fit for the playoffs, but you need more than 12 minutes of Neal to get a real deal.

We'll see where they go with the lines tonight and how long they last.

 

By the looks of it, the lines from practice are the starting lines.

No word on Bennett being ready to roll yet.

Looks like Neal-Monahan-Czarnik for now.

THX for the Bennett update not being bone related.

I hope BP doesn't expect any big production boost from a line of Neal, Monahan and Czarnik, not a playmaker amongst them.

I trust this is just a shout out for them all to wake up and get back to playing good hockey again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...