The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Monahan's game has literally fallen off a cliff the last 2 months and I can't believe that happens to a player like that unless they are hurt so i'm fully in the cam that he's battling something. Whats telling for me is how he is shooting the puck. he's not getting any velocity or snap into that wrist shot, he's just shoveling or pushing pucks at the net so sure looks to me like he's compensating for something.

My guess is whatever he has, resting wont' do it much good and he's going to need surgery in the off-season so he'll continue to gut it out. Hope i'm wrong, because really hard for me to see them going on a run if Monahan isn't 100%. Big drop off there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Monahan's game has literally fallen off a cliff the last 2 months and I can't believe that happens to a player like that unless they are hurt so i'm fully in the cam that he's battling something. Whats telling for me is how he is shooting the puck. he's not getting any velocity or snap into that wrist shot, he's just shoveling or pushing pucks at the net so sure looks to me like he's compensating for something.

My guess is whatever he has, resting wont' do it much good and he's going to need surgery in the off-season so he'll continue to gut it out. Hope i'm wrong, because really hard for me to see them going on a run if Monahan isn't 100%. Big drop off there.

So he's not hurt but he is injured?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I hope Monahan isn't hurt and I know what you mean about his shooting. The only defense I would throw up is them trying to produce in tight situations. Monahan has to get moving and maneuvering for better shot. He has Gaudreau back to forcing things and that is when he starts making bad passes or coughing up the puck. While those two try to get each other untracked Lindholm becomes an after thought. I would add someone new like Neal with JG and SM before introducing Ryan there.

Really anxious to see Tkachuk, Backlund and Lindholm together.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Don't read too much into Francis.  He quotes then adds stuff in the same sentence to make it sound like a quote.

Monahan himself talks about confidence.

Something has changed.

The fact that Lindholm isn't getting shots off is telling.

The plays they are involved in look unorganized.

Dump and chase doesn't work for them.

They are getting spots mixed up and missing assignments in the D-zone.

I hope they get back to normal and shifting lines isn't the worst thing in the world.

Lindholm may get going by playing with Backlund.  Don't think that really hurts the line either.

Ryan is feelin it so he's going to be a good target for JH.  Frolik adds the defense to that line.

Monahan with Neal and Czarnik is a little weird.

Perhaps he can get passes off a bit better than he has been recently.

The Heat line is not a concern at all.

The only thing that concerns me is that 5v5 and PP have gone cold for the top unit at the same time.

Maybe try some looks with different guys there too.  

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Can't expect Peters to say anything different there. I have to agree with Francis on this one that this is too similar to last year to write it off as simply a slump. 

I think I speak for everyone.

No matter what it is he's struggling with, and it's evident to everyone that something's wrong, we need our #1C back.

Outside of that...

My biggest concern is he's always on pace for an easy 40 goals. This fading is kinda one of those, "once is a mistake, twice is a trend".

I get the injuries last year. But the last thing we need is for this to become a theme. For whatever reason. Like cross alluded to, guessing wrist. He looks afraid to shoot imho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think I speak for everyone.

No matter what it is he's struggling with, and it's evident to everyone that something's wrong, we need our #1C back.

Outside of that...

My biggest concern is he's always on pace for an easy 40 goals. This fading is kinda one of those, "once is a mistake, twice is a trend".

I get the injuries last year. But the last thing we need is for this to become a theme. For whatever reason. Like cross alluded to, guessing wrist. He looks afraid to shoot imho.

Maybe.

I won't be too worried until the playoffs start.

I just want to see a sign that he still has it before we get there.

WHAT NOW ? not one of those line changes last night produced scoring results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Stay with the original line that have been in place most of the year, thats what got the team where it is now. If needed demote 1 player at a time. The bigger issue is teams are definitely watching game tapes of the Yotes, Kings, and Stars games.  The Flames need to find a way around when a team goes into shut down mode. Or not fall behind in the first place.

The team is still 1st in the west and 3rd overall. Hardly a time to panic.

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Stay with the original line that have been in place most of the year, thats what got the team where it is now. If needed demote 1 player at a time. The bigger issue is teams are definitely watching game tapes of the Yotes, Kings, and Stars games.  The Flames need to find a way around when a team goes into shut down mode. Or not fall behind in the first place.

The team is still 1st in the west and 3rd overall. Hardly a time to panic.

I agree with staying with the success that got you here. If anything those top two lines need to figure it out. If Monahan is injured remove him. We have trouble against teams that bottle up the middle so maybe BP needs to address this with the troops. I would like to see these lines when Bennett gets back.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik

Mangiapane, Ryan, Neal

Bennett, Jankowski, Hathaway

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

patience young padawan.. alright they will be.. focus on the results and results you will see.. be one with the force

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I agree with staying with the success that got you here. If anything those top two lines need to figure it out. If Monahan is injured remove him. We have trouble against teams that bottle up the middle so maybe BP needs to address this with the troops. I would like to see these lines when Bennett gets back.

Mangiapane, Ryan, Neal

i would swap mangio and bennett but otherwise i agree

10 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

i would swap mangio and bennett but otherwise i agree

I like Mangiapane's game over Bennett's for that line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Mangiapane, Ryan, Neal

I think we have been struggling with more than one or two games.  

I'll leave out the WPG, because it was less than 24 hours after the Rags game, and it was a road game.

Top line has been shut down for some time now.  Not against trap teams, just against slower skating teams.

We just are not playing the way we have been used to playing.

Lack of urgency or speed, your choice.

Deliberately plodding through the game instead of high-flying.

Against VAN, we were high flying and the 4th line managed to be on for all the goals.

Played a similar up-tempo game against OTT, CLB, NJD, and VGK.

Different players scored from 4 lines.

I think the lines you have listed match the required tempo.

3rd line is set up for some speed and the trailer.

4th line is gritty and has some finish.

1st and 2nd lines remain as what worked the best all year.

Figure it out.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we have been struggling with more than one or two games.  

I'll leave out the WPG, because it was less than 24 hours after the Rags game, and it was a road game.

Top line has been shut down for some time now.  Not against trap teams, just against slower skating teams.

We just are not playing the way we have been used to playing.

Lack of urgency or speed, your choice.

Deliberately plodding through the game instead of high-flying.

Against VAN, we were high flying and the 4th line managed to be on for all the goals.

Played a similar up-tempo game against OTT, CLB, NJD, and VGK.

Different players scored from 4 lines.

I think the lines you have listed match the required tempo.

3rd line is set up for some speed and the trailer.

4th line is gritty and has some finish.

1st and 2nd lines remain as what worked the best all year.

Figure it out.

I think the team has not played great hockey ever since the ASB and they best get a lot of things figured out.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think the team has not played great hockey ever since the ASB and they best get a lot of things figured out.

I'm thinking they need to sit out Czarnik right now.

He took a weak penalty last night that lead to a goal, but he made up for it with a good defensive play.

My thinking is that he's not helping that line generate anything.

Maybe it's on Neal (LW) or Janko, but they spend too much time in the D zone.

Mangiapane has been lights out for some time now.  He generates offense on every shift.

He forechecks really hard.

He can beat icings a lot of times.

If Bennett isn't ready to come back in, play Quine on the 4th line over Czarnik.

Or get Dube up here.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He took a weak penalty last night that lead to a goal, but he made up for it with a good defensive play.

My thinking is that he's not helping that line generate anything.

Maybe it's on Neal (LW) or Janko, but they spend too much time in the D zone.

Mangiapane has been lights out for some time now.  He generates offense on every shift.

He forechecks really hard.

He can beat icings a lot of times.

If Bennett isn't ready to come back in, play Quine on the 4th line over Czarnik.

Or get Dube up here.

That's my hope. Inject some youthful enthusiasm.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If someone needs to sit out it should be Czarnik or Neal. Czarnik's penalty was a week one as he was trying to make a defensive play and was tripped up by a Dallas player causing him to slide and trip up the puck carrier. After that Czarnik was on fire and played with some emotion. Neal on the other hand!!!!

When Bennett come back Neal should sit and inject him as needed.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I shrank away from last night's GDT out of frustration.

Our goaltending levels out aaannnd then we can't score.

Honestly I think just go back to the lines.

3M and the DAG line have been playing really well.

Get the 1st line a psychiatrist and play through it. No better teacher than playing through the animosity.

I actually had a dream last night that Mony was open in the high slot, took the pass and ripped a low wrister into the net on the goalies right.

Old skool Mony. lol

Dreams are weird. Evidently last night's loss was in my psyche. hahaha

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

If someone needs to sit out it should be Czarnik or Neal. Czarnik's penalty was a week one as he was trying to make a defensive play and was tripped up by a Dallas player causing him to slide and trip up the puck carrier. After that Czarnik was on fire and played with some emotion. Neal on the other hand!!!!

When Bennett come back Neal should sit and inject him as needed.

I wouldn;t say Bennett has been good prior to sitting out.

Last 10 games, 1g 1a in the NJ blowout.

Intangibles?  Sure.

Productive duing the games?  Not so sure about that.

My problem with Czarnik playing with Neal is that forces Neal to LW.

We signed him to play RW.

If Bennett is back, then Czarnik sits.  Simple as that.  He's done little since he first got back in.

He's playing 3rd line minutes.

I'd be okay if Bennett's 100% if he spends some time on Monahan's left.

I a pinch, I'd put Dube on the right. He's a playmaker and likes that rw shortside move from what I've seen.

Missed a few by inches. Sure he's worked on it.

Dube would be a good knuckleball, so to speak.

He plays with pace, and teams don't really know him.

Fascinated what has been up with 23. 24 games played since the mandated break, 4 goals and 11 assists in over a quarter of the season. 4 of those 15 came against the Binghamton squad New Jersey brought to town. 

He hasnt even even managed to be noticeable on the ice of late .

You would think if he was injured , they’d rest him and they claim he’s healthy.. my take is that he’s either in a really bad slump or he’s injured beyond recovery without surgery like last year 

TIme will obviously tell, but I think Monahan is hurt. If he were not he would have come out and qwashed it in the media already. Needs off season repairs again

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I shrank away from last night's GDT out of frustration.

Our goaltending levels out aaannnd then we can't score.

Honestly I think just go back to the lines.

3M and the DAG line have been playing really well.

Get the 1st line a psychiatrist and play through it. No better teacher than playing through the animosity.

I actually had a dream last night that Mony was open in the high slot, took the pass and ripped a low wrister into the net on the goalies right.

Old skool Mony. lol

Dreams are weird. Evidently last night's loss was in my psyche. hahaha

And that is what he is known for.

I have been ignoring the chatter recently about SM being injured, mostly because I always give the player the benefit of the doubt and partially because it just cant happen in our year, especially after being repaired last year. 

Last night he had the puck in the slot a couple of times....and nothing. Usually he picks an open corner for goal or he misses net and dents the back boards.

When was the last time SM dented the back boards with a wrister?

Speaking of which, Lindholm's quick release used to be deadly as well, where did that go?

Top line production didn't fade, it died.