The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

5 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

And that is what he is known for.

I have been ignoring the chatter recently about SM being injured, mostly because I always give the player the benefit of the doubt and partially because it just cant happen in our year, especially after being repaired last year. 

Last night he had the puck in the slot a couple of times....and nothing. Usually he picks an open corner for goal or he misses net and dents the back boards.

When was the last time SM dented the back boards with a wrister?

Speaking of which, Lindholm's quick release used to be deadly as well, where did that go?

Top line production didn't fade, it died. 

His best 8th of the ice is blueline to hashmarks in the O zone.

Stick with what got you here. Every team is hyped up to beat you.

You aren't here by accident. Get busy.

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

His best 8th of the ice is blueline to hashmarks in the O zone.

Stick with what got you here. Every team is hyped up to beat you.

You aren't here by accident. Get busy.

You're right, they all have it in them, and the real season is still 10-12 days away.

Can't let JG off the hook here either, he seems lost out there as well.

You are only as good as the sum of your parts, and we know we have the parts.

I'm confident our top line will pull it together when it matters.

Not sure where to discuss this, but this is likely the best spot.

The PP.

Watching again last night, getting the puck below the goal line. It looks so obvious to me that I'm becoming a broken record.

When the opposition is in their box, it's hard to get shots through so we see a lot of high cycling.

Why not take it low and turn the box around. They have to track the puck yet mind where the guys behind them are.

I see odd glimpses from us and you see passing lanes open for stealthy shots in high danger areas.

We have dangerous dmen so what I see is the box gets up pretty high. Should just be the instinctive time to get it low and give our dmen another 20-30 feet to step into lanes.

Am I over-thinking it? It looks obvious to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The PP.

Watching again last night, getting the puck below the goal line. It looks so obvious to me that I'm becoming a broken record.

When the opposition is in their box, it's hard to get shots through so we see a lot of high cycling.

Why not take it low and turn the box around. They have to track the puck yet mind where the guys behind them are.

I see odd glimpses from us and you see passing lanes open for stealthy shots in high danger areas.

We have dangerous dmen so what I see is the box gets up pretty high. Should just be the instinctive time to get it low and give our dmen another 20-30 feet to step into lanes.

For how many great players and playmakers was that their office? I think it’s a great idea. The PP is a horseshoe and it goes around until they force a pass or two through the middle. Get them moving more and create new lanes.

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The PP.

Where is Mony most effective?  You know.

Ras's blast was a tap in for Mony.

If he's not the one shooting from the line, then get it down low.

Gio is wasting a shot from the blue line, he needs to get in on the half boards and walk in.

I was talking about this with Jtec and just then they scored a goal from behind the net to the slot.

I like the new look PP units because they play a bit differently.

Would prefer to keep JH on the RW, but whatever.

Czarnik isn;t my first choice, but Lindholm needed a change.

Not enough RHS to replace him with, if you use Doc on the 2nd unit.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Where is Mony most effective?  You know.

Ras's blast was a tap in for Mony.

If he's not the one shooting from the line, then get it down low.

Gio is wasting a shot from the blue line, he needs to get in on the half boards and walk in.

I was talking about this with Jtec and just then they scored a goal from behind the net to the slot.

I like the new look PP units because they play a bit differently.

Would prefer to keep JH on the RW, but whatever.

Czarnik isn;t my first choice, but Lindholm needed a change.

Not enough RHS to replace him with, if you use Doc on the 2nd unit.

I brought this up a few weeks back. McLellan used to do this with The Sharks all of the time when the Sharks were a juggernaut. I'm sure he wanted to do it with the Oilers. lol

But the Sharks pretty much thrived on running their offence below the goal line.

It drops the entire coverage way lower, so creates more room and lanes.

Everything changes when you turn the D 180 degrees.

I'm not saying do it full time, but have it as a regular thing in the arsenal. More looks, different looks. Create confusion.

We don't do it near as much as I'd like.

And like robrob says, that is office for a lot of great players historically.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I brought this up a few weeks back. McLellan used to do this with The Sharks all of the time when the Sharks were a juggernaut. I'm sure he wanted to do it with the Oilers. lol

But the Sharks pretty much thrived on running their offence below the goal line.

It drops the entire coverage way lower, so creates more room and lanes.

Everything changes when you turn the D 180 degrees.

I'm not saying do it full time, but have it as a regular thing in the arsenal. More looks, different looks. Create confusion.

We don't do it near as much as I'd like.

And like robrob says, that is office for a lot of great players historically.

When we do it, it works.

Pretty simple isn't it.

Need at least two or three different looks to be competetive though.

I think one thing we need to do is attack on the entry.

Whatever that looks like, it should not just be setting up.

You have the advantage, quick strike.

The other thing (3rd) is indirect shot-passes.

Need guys that can tip the puck.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

No reason not to, Stockton won't be in the playoffs.

Loaded at D!

I wonder if we clinch the west tonight, if we will see Dube up next. May as well get some of these guys some NHL games before we need them in the playoffs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if we clinch the west tonight, if we will see Dube up next. May as well get some of these guys some NHL games before we need them in the playoffs.

Great minds think alike!B)

Let's get the clinch. Would love to see Dube back up asap.

Playoff experience will be awesome for our young guys.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Great minds think alike!B)

Let's get the clinch. Would love to see Dube back up asap.

Playoff experience will be awesome for our young guys.

4th and last one should be Dube.

Sounds like Tkachuk, Backlund and the top 4 defense will be sitting tonight. Valimaki, Bennett and Quine are in. I am guessing that Stone, Kylington and Fantenberg will be in as well.

Getting Bennett back in the lineup is huge, because I really believe he will be a big factor for us in the playoffs. 

Also sitting Tkachuk against Doughty and LA just makes sense. Why risk anything right now.

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like Tkachuk, Backlund and the top 4 defense will be sitting tonight. Valimaki, Bennett and Quine are in. I am guessing that Stone, Kylington and Fantenberg will be in as well.

Getting Bennett back in the lineup is huge, because I really believe he will be a big factor for us in the playoffs. 

Also sitting Tkachuk against Doughty and LA just makes sense. Why risk anything right now.

Where would you play Bennett come playoffs ? I would say right now LW on the 4th line.

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Where would you play Bennett come playoffs ? I would say right now LW on the 4th line.

I don’t think that Peters will touch that 4th line unless someone gets injured, much like how he has barely wanted to switch up the 1st line. They’ve been rolling. 

So my guess is is he only fits on the 3rd with Neal and Jankowski.

i think our fandom line projections won’t get tried until next year. Lines seemed to be written in ink with room for crossing out here and there.

and I get it, there are some of your suggestions that make sense that could’ve been tried, but now, I can’t see it unless we are sinking.

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

3rd line LW with Jankowski and Neal on the RW, with Czarnik coming out of the lineup. You don't touch the 4th line right now.

Though if I had my choice I would probably go with Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal as the 3rd line and Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway as the 4th line.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t think that Peters will touch that 4th line unless someone gets injured, much like how he has barely wanted to switch up the 1st line. They’ve been rolling. 

So my guess is is he only fits on the 3rd with Neal and Jankowski.

i think our fandom line projections won’t get tried until next year. Lines seemed to be written in ink with room for crossing out here and there.

and I get it, there are some of your suggestions that make sense that could’ve been tried, but now, I can’t see it unless we are sinking.

I think you will see what works and what doesn't will be changed.

The obvious sub is Czarnik for Bennett, switching sides, though.

Mangiapane and Ryan are the most likely to be moved up to play with Neal.

That keeps Janko and Bennett together, and Hathaway or Neal is the swap.

Considering his vision and passing, I would suggest that Mangiapane is far superior to Bennett to set up Neal.

The other thing is you have Neal hitting on one line and Bennett/Hathaway on the other.

Not a bad combo of skills.

This is not a radical change to our lines, so I would expect to see something like this.

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

3rd line LW with Jankowski and Neal on the RW, with Czarnik coming out of the lineup. You don't touch the 4th line right now.

Though if I had my choice I would probably go with Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal as the 3rd line and Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway as the 4th line.

I would go along with your 2nd statement as the way to go into the playoffs. Bennett, Jankowski and Neal has simply not worked. Mangiapane and Ryan have better games going but I don't think Hathaway is essential to be with them. A line of Bennett, Jankowski, Hathaway could be what is needed for "playoff hockey" while freeing up the other 3 lines for more offense.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:
Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
FollowFollow @RyanNPike
More

It really sounds like #FlamesNHLFlames.png have used up last regular recall on F Dillon Dube, per @Sportsnet960 morning show.

Update maybe?

I don't think emergency recall counts towards our 4 recalls, correct me if wrong though

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Looks like an emergency recall for Dube. 

One might guess Bennett is out again after that hit from McDermid. He looked rattled.