The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Looks like an emergency recall for Dube. 

Said this elsewhere, but it also means we are down two other forwards.

Injured, not healthy scratches.

Not sure who it is, because we had 2 guys healthy scratched last game and every guy who played the Kings finished the game.

Did I miss anyone?

I know that Lindy took a nasty hit, but played.

Anybody else see any injuries?

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Said this elsewhere, but it also means we are down two other forwards.

Injured, not healthy scratches.

Not sure who it is, because we had 2 guys healthy scratched last game and every guy who played the Kings finished the game.

Did I miss anyone?

I know that Lindy took a nasty hit, but played.

Anybody else see any injuries?

Bennett didn’t finish the Kings game.

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Bennett didn’t finish the Kings game.

Sorry, I knew that about Benny, but meant others.

I know Dube's up on emergency, so who would you use the last recall on?

Does maybe Lomberg get consideration as an intensity guy or stick with Dube's skill?

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I know Dube's up on emergency, so who would you use the last recall on?

Does maybe Lomberg get consideration as an intensity guy or stick with Dube's skill?

Skill first IMHO.

Dube could give them options for the 3rd line (if Bennett's NA) or 4th line (move Mange and Ryan to 3rd).  Would that make it the JAD line?  DAJ?

Honestly, we are in pretty good shape for players.

I will be very curious to see if BP is prepared to make any changes to the lines and pairings for next game. I said all season how he has handled the middle 6 forwards would be his undoing for consistent success. Our offense has not managed to sustain any consistent puck possession anywhere on the ice. All trying to be individual heroes. Brodie and Hamonic as veterans haven't been smart about their play at all leading to more mistakes by their partners.

Better luck next game.

Go FLAMES Go

41 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I will be very curious to see if BP is prepared to make any changes to the lines and pairings for next game. I said all season how he has handled the middle 6 forwards would be his undoing for consistent success. Our offense has not managed to sustain any consistent puck possession anywhere on the ice. All trying to be individual heroes. Brodie and Hamonic as veterans haven't been smart about their play at all leading to more mistakes by their partners.

Better luck next game.

Go FLAMES Go

Brodies gaffes were glaring even when not costly. I didn't notice Hamonic doing any worse than the rest of the D-line. Not that it's been stellar either.

I think there is opportunity for players that can add energy.

Czarnik, Dube, Valimaki, even Kylington.

Not exactly sure how to fit them in or who I would sit, but there has to be some repercussions.

Valimaki and Brodie as a pair.

Dube in for Frolik or Janko?

Czarnik in for Hathaway?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Hathaway is one of the most effective players we have, but he plays a little close to the edge.  It cost us.

Janko has been invisible.  Move Bennett to C.

Someone suggested that we move JH to a line with Lindy and Ryan, and Mangiapane with Monahan and Neal.

JH-Lindy-Ryan

Mange-Mony-Neal

Tkacuk-Backlunb-Czarnik

I would go with 

Gaudreau-Bennett-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Dube-Monahan-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Need more speed in the lineup and Janko hasn't done anything. Neal is trying to be physical but man doe she look slow out there, and the puck just seems to bounce off his stick every time gets it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not exactly sure how to fit them in or who I would sit, but there has to be some repercussions.

Czarnik in for Hathaway?

Hathaway is one of the most effective players we have, but he plays a little close to the edge.  It cost us.

Someone suggested that we move JH to a line with Lindy and Ryan, and Mangiapane with Monahan and Neal.

JH-Lindy-Ryan

Mange-Mony-Neal

Tkacuk-Backlunb-Czarnik

Tell you the guy not getting the job done is Backlund, Here are the changes I would go with to help everyone be more than they have been.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm
Lindholm. Neal and Frolik have not been effective with where BP has had for quite some time.

Bennett, Ryan, Hathaway

Mangiapane, Jankowski, Frolik

Top 2 line focus more on their offense. Next two lines check the H out of what wears an opposing jersey.

Personally I would bench Brodie for all the havoc he causes out there but I know they won't. Way to many mistakes being made by all our defensemen to be honest. The lack of experience is showing through.

I think there is no question in my mind they need Czarnik back in the lineup for his speed. I'd take out either Neal or Hathaway and don't have a strong preference either way. Hathaways penalty last night was totally unacceptable. 

I would not really make any other line up changes to be honest in terms of bodies as i'm not sure the way to get a team that is out of sync back in it is to start inserting new bodies.  I'd give them team a chance to bounce back and right now the only changes i'd make is

Gaudreau - Mony - Bennett

Chukcy - Backs - Lindholm

Frolik - Janko - Czarnik.

DAG

See how that goes and if they don't come out strong then make changes but I think this team deserves a chance to redeem themselves like they have many times this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Czarnik in for Hathaway?

JH-Lindy-Ryan

Mange-Mony-Neal

Tkacuk-Backlunb-Czarnik

you put the team's playoff points leader on the 4th line C?

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would go with 

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Dube-Monahan-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Need more speed in the lineup and Janko hasn't done anything. Neal is trying to be physical but man doe she look slow out there, and the puck just seems to bounce off his stick every time gets it.

I think this set up looks best of the suggestions so far. 

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

you put the team's playoff points leader on the 4th line C?

Well, he's scored 3 of his 4 points on the PP, so it really doesn't matter does it?

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, he's scored 3 of his 4 points on the PP, so it really doesn't matter does it?

I actually think Peters needs to get him on the ice a bit more. He's the only player really skating out there. Maybe he's not scoring on 5vs5 but he is still one of the only players that is skating.

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I actually think Peters needs to get him on the ice a bit more. He's the only player really skating out there. Maybe he's not scoring on 5vs5 but he is still one of the only players that is skating.

Make no mistake, I was not suggesting he play 10 minutes a night.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would go with 

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Dube-Monahan-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

I like it.  If anything, Bennett has been better defensively than Monahan so our top line might actually shut down MacKinnon for once.  Scoring seems like a secondary issue at this point.  Let's just find a way to stop them first.

20 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think there is no question in my mind they need Czarnik back in the lineup for his speed. I'd take out either Neal or Hathaway and don't have a strong preference either way. Hathaways penalty last night was totally unacceptable. 

I would not really make any other line up changes to be honest in terms of bodies as i'm not sure the way to get a team that is out of sync back in it is to start inserting new bodies.  I'd give them team a chance to bounce back and right now the only changes i'd make is

Gaudreau - Mony - Bennett

Chukcy - Backs - Lindholm

Frolik - Janko - Czarnik.

DAG

See how that goes and if they don't come out strong then make changes but I think this team deserves a chance to redeem themselves like they have many times this year. 

I see you have written Neal right out of the picture which IMO has been the biggest mistake BP has made tis entire season. Your GM goes out and gets you one of the best clutch forwards in the game and you render him useless on the ice by playing him with the wrong line mates or not at all. Bennett equally has troubles with his scoring so why him and not Neal on that line. If Monahan and Lindholm are having trouble scoring why not at least try a known sniper/playoff performer like Neal for a whole game to see what happens.

Lindholm with Backlund shold be a sound move bot defensively and for some possible added offense. The line we need is a hard checking middle line to put up against McKinnon's line and that for me is Bennett, Ryan and Hathaway. Let these guys be all over that line while our top two lines get back to what's important scoring for us. Another line of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Frolik will be no slouch of a line either with Frolik's experience there. This is a battle now and adding Czarnik or Dube at this point adds nothing to the job at hand.

Our Defense no matter what pairings has to be more intelligent with their decision making.

Smith is playing his best ever hockey now.

Go FLAMES Go

Like most of you, not liking what Monahan is showing... sure seems like something's wrong with him.  If he's injured & this ineffective, why not put Dube in the lineup, move Bennett up with Johnny G.

Gaudreau -  Bennett - Lindholm

Chucky - Backs - Frolik

Dube - Janko - Neal

Mang - Ryan - Hath

Or

Gaudreau - Bennett - Neal 

Chucky - Backs - Frolik

Dube - Janko - Lindholm

Mang - Ryan - Hath

Is the team really worse off with this lineup? At least you're injecting some speed & skill into it with Dube

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I see you have written Neal right out of the picture which IMO has been the biggest mistake BP has made tis entire season. Your GM goes out and gets you one of the best clutch forwards in the game and you render him useless on the ice by playing him with the wrong line mates or not at all. Bennett equally has troubles with his scoring so why him and not Neal on that line. If Monahan and Lindholm are having trouble scoring why not at least try a known sniper/playoff performer like Neal for a whole game to see what happens.

Lindholm with Backlund shold be a sound move bot defensively and for some possible added offense. The line we need is a hard checking middle line to put up against McKinnon's line and that for me is Bennett, Ryan and Hathaway. Let these guys be all over that line while our top two lines get back to what's important scoring for us. Another line of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Frolik will be no slouch of a line either with Frolik's experience there. This is a battle now and adding Czarnik or Dube at this point adds nothing to the job at hand.

Our Defense no matter what pairings has to be more intelligent with their decision making.

Smith is playing his best ever hockey now.

Go FLAMES Go

I have not written him off, his play has done that for me.

I don't share your take that it's related to his line mates or his situation, he just has had a really tough year and I think it's time to just face facts that this year is a write off for Neal. His lack of footspeed is really hampering him in this series and the last thing the Flames should do is put him on the top line considering they are already having trouble keeping up.

• Like 1

So you would have to think that Czarnik and/or Dube have to draw into the lineup tomorrow.

It's pretty obvious that this team needs an injection of speed and energy, both guys give you that.

Personally I would pull Jankowski and Neal in favour of Dube and Czarnik. Neal is trying to be factor, but he just doesn't have it right now and the game is way too fast for him to be able to keep up. Jankowski has been a major disappointment for me. I was a big fan of Jankowski coming out of college and thought he would be a very good 3rd line center, he has size, his skating is good, he has some skill, but he doesn't use any of his abilities on any kind of consistent basis. I don't know that I have ever seen a weaker, softer 6'4" 215lbs center. The guy has all the tools to be very effective but he doesn't use them.

21 hours ago, cross16 said:

I have not written him off, his play has done that for me.

I don't share your take that it's related to his line mates or his situation, he just has had a really tough year and I think it's time to just face facts that this year is a write off for Neal. His lack of footspeed is really hampering him in this series and the last thing the Flames should do is put him on the top line considering they are already having trouble keeping up.

To each their, what you are suggesting won't happen

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So you would have to think that Czarnik and/or Dube have to draw into the lineup tomorrow.

It's pretty obvious that this team needs an injection of speed and energy, both guys give you that.

Personally I would pull Jankowski and Neal in favour of Dube and Czarnik. Neal is trying to be factor, but he just doesn't have it right now and the game is way too fast for him to be able to keep up. Jankowski has been a major disappointment for me. I was a big fan of Jankowski coming out of college and thought he would be a very good 3rd line center, he has size, his skating is good, he has some skill, but he doesn't use any of his abilities on any kind of consistent basis. I don't know that I have ever seen a weaker, softer 6'4" 215lbs center. The guy has all the tools to be very effective but he doesn't use them.

Better luck with all this next year, the won't change anything.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Neal was always going to be a better option against another team, not Colorado.

He would be good against the Sharks or Vegas or someone else.

I think you probably should not be sitting both Neal and Janko.

Too much loss of size.

Maybe all you need to do is insert Czarnik for Neal and bump Janko down.

Not sure how I would adjust the lines, but ice time needs to increase for players like Mangiapane and Ryan.  Cut down the minutes for Backlund.

Maybe try:

JH-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Monahan-Ryan

Frolik-Janko-Hathaway

The minutes are given according to who is moving the needle.  Tkachuk takes the focus off JH.  Czarnik can actually finish.  Mangiapane is a harder competing version of the Playoff Johnny.  Frolik helps Janko maintain positive stats.

For no other reason than we have nothing else to lose and I want to see if it would work, I want to see a 2nd line of Tkachuk-Dube-Czarnik. I would like to see if the speed and creativity of those players leads to more offense. I also want to see Dube can stick asa center at this level.