The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

That's the right decision and quite honestly it should have been done last game. 

I think best case case now for Neal and Flames is they have some honest conversations and help him come back refreshed and ready to go next year. It's just not working this year. 

• Like 1

I heard Pat Steinberg talk about splitting up the top line and putting Lindholm at C, and then giving Gaudreau and Monahan mostly offensive zone start, like 75%. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Gaudreau and Monahan are never going to be great or even good defensively, so let's play them to their strengths.

Then you have Lindholm and Tkachuk as a 2nd line that play well defensively as well as drive offense.

Backlund and Bennett form a good defensive line that can also chip in offensively.

Ryan is great in the dot and showed that he can be very effective at getting the puck going in the right direction.

So you can basically split the defensive duties between 3 lines so that Monahan and Gaudreau can be all out offense.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I heard Pat Steinberg talk about splitting up the top line and putting Lindholm at C, and then giving Gaudreau and Monahan mostly offensive zone start, like 75%. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Gaudreau and Monahan are never going to be great or even good defensively, so let's play them to their strengths.

Then you have Lindholm and Tkachuk as a 2nd line that play well defensively as well as drive offense.

Backlund and Bennett form a good defensive line that can also chip in offensively.

Ryan is great in the dot and showed that he can be very effective at getting the puck going in the right direction.

So you can basically split the defensive duties between 3 lines so that Monahan and Gaudreau can be all out offense.

BP has also mentioned moving Lindy to C.  I'm guessing he also believes that Backlund should not be with Tkachuk.

This makes one wonder if Neal is being envisioned as a 1st liner with protected starts.

I don't see him a fit with Backlund.

This also tends to take Janko out of the mix, unless he moves to LW beside Backlund and they trade Bennett.

Not a fan of that scenario.

Either keep Bennett/trade Janko, or trade them both.

Ryan is a good option for 4th line C or RW on another line.

Anyway, it may be an interesting camp in September.

Some possible trades done at the draft.

Maybe a minor UFA signing (character/role player).

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

BP has also mentioned moving Lindy to C.  I'm guessing he also believes that Backlund should not be with Tkachuk.

This makes one wonder if Neal is being envisioned as a 1st liner with protected starts.

I don't see him a fit with Backlund.

This also tends to take Janko out of the mix, unless he moves to LW beside Backlund and they trade Bennett.

Not a fan of that scenario.

Either keep Bennett/trade Janko, or trade them both.

Ryan is a good option for 4th line C or RW on another line.

Anyway, it may be an interesting camp in September.

Some possible trades done at the draft.

Maybe a minor UFA signing (character/role player).

I would really like to see if Mangiapane can play RW. Might allow him to use his one timer more. It might also be his best shot at regular top 9 role. A 2nd line of Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane could be very dangerous.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would really like to see if Mangiapane can play RW. Might allow him to use his one timer more. It might also be his best shot at regular top 9 role. A 2nd line of Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane could be very dangerous.

Czarnik is already that player on the RW.

But we need more consistency out of Czarnik.  I like the fact he likes to shoot the puck but we just don't get that consistently enough.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Czarnik is already that player on the RW.

But we need more consistency out of Czarnik.  I like the fact he likes to shoot the puck but we just don't get that consistently enough.

I know both players are very similar in alot of aspects, stature, point production, etc, but unless he's scoring Czarnik seems invisible. Maybe that means Mangi is trying harder or Czarnik has more to give but I still lean to keeping Mangi if it comes down to one or the other.

• Like 2

Gaudreau playing RW for USA. Might be worth monitoring how that goes, especially playing alongside Chris Kreider, who I could see as a target for Treliving this summer.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Gaudreau playing RW for USA. Might be worth monitoring how that goes, especially playing alongside Chris Kreider, who I could see as a target for Treliving this summer.

It also says Noah Hanifin plays for the Vancouver Canucks?!?  Did we miss some big news?

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It also says Noah Hanifin plays for the Vancouver Canucks?!?  Did we miss some big news?

LOL...………...American reporters likely never heard of Calgary.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You didn't hear about the Hanifin and Monahan for Boeser and Petterson deal?

If I jot down my current lineup it will no doubt spark a flurry of roster moves by Tree:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal: Give these guys the easiest match-ups, all offensive zone starts - don't tell me Neal is slow, Johnny and Monny made it work with Hudler

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett: 2nd match-up line

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan: Shut-down line

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Dube: Fill-in line

Quaine/Czarnik

Giordno-Andersson

Hanafin-Hamonic

Valamaki-Brodie

Kylington/Stone

Rittich

Talbot