The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

There seems to be a lot of attempts to compare the entry into the nhl between Bennett and Janko.  I don’t think there is much to compare.  Last year Was Janko’s first year; Bennett’s third.  He had 2 years more experience, Janko was 2 years older.  I think that puts last year in a different perspective.  What I did observe is that Bennett seemed to do better when paired with Janko.  Personally, I think that Bennett’s “barn-burner” gusto pushes into the zone, but doesn’t set the play. Janko is better at creating and finishing.   I disagree that Janko ‘s ceiling is lower then Bennett; I think it’s just as high but in a slightly different approach.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flames for life said:

There seems to be a lot of attempts to compare the entry into the nhl between Bennett and Janko.  I don’t think there is much to compare.  Last year Was Janko’s first year; Bennett’s third.  He had 2 years more experience, Janko was 2 years older.  I think that puts last year in a different perspective.  What I did observe is that Bennett seemed to do better when paired with Janko.  Personally, I think that Bennett’s “barn-burner” gusto pushes into the zone, but doesn’t set the play. Janko is better at creating and finishing.   I disagree that Janko ‘s ceiling is lower then Bennett; I think it’s just as high but in a slightly different approach.

Ceiling is potential.  And we are talking about projected ceiling.

So, one would say that a junior player that can score 91 points with a bum shoulder has a higher ceiling than a low scoring college player.

Does not mean Janko will not pass Bennett or not have a better career.  

34 minutes ago, flames for life said:

There could be a scenario where Bennett ends up playing with Jankowski if they keep Brouwer (which could happen initially)

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm

Frolik, Ryan, Brouwer

Bennett, Jankowski, Czarnick

I guess that is my point.  So why the disappointment with Janko ‘s first year?  He showed lots to be excited about.  He also showed the ability to move up and down the line and contribute.  I personally don’t want to trade him until we have a couple of years of progression to get a solid idea of who Janko is going to be in the NHL.

1 minute ago, flames for life said:

I guess that is my point.  So why the disappointment with Janko ‘s first year?  He showed lots to be excited about.  He also showed the ability to move up and down the line and contribute.  I personally don’t want to trade him until we have a couple of years of progression to get a solid idea of who Janko is going to be in the NHL.

You would have to ask Cross that.  I think generally, fans were satisfied.  We haven't had a rookie in the Calder discussion in years, though.  It would have been nice to see Janko tally more consistently.  Goals were hard enough to come by last year, and we might have been closer to a playoff spot if Janko and Bennett had been scoring in the final 20 games.  Game 82 is not the time to break out of a slump.

I don't think we are close to seeing Janko's best yet.  He needs to be fit with the right linemates.  I suggested Mangiapane and Czarnik due to their never-surrender attitudes.

Those smaller guys always give more because they have to.  It's not just my opinion on them.  Many analysts have said the same thing.  I don't care i they get 12 minutes or less; they will give you 12 minutes of game.

Just now, travel_dude said:

You would have to ask Cross that. 

I have not, nor has really anyone else that i've seen, said they were disappointed in Jankowski rookie season. I think it was "meh" but that doesn't mean it was a disappointment I just woudln't call it a great season. he basically met my expectations because i'm not someone who has a high ceiling on Jankowki. To me, he's Martin Hanzal. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have not, nor has really anyone else that i've seen, said they were disappointed in Jankowski rookie season. I think it was "meh" but that doesn't mean it was a disappointment I just woudln't call it a great season. he basically met my expectations because i'm not someone who has a high ceiling on Jankowki. To me, he's Martin Hanzal. 

And to me a “meh” season is a “why bother “ attitude, and I didn’t get that impression from Janko.  I did see a player that mirrored the season the team had; succeeding when the team did, and faltering when it did as well.  To me that did not take a way from his first year at all.  In fact, it creates the expectation for Janko to step up more.  I can’t say who. Think Janko will compare to, but personally I’m looking forward to finding out!

2 minutes ago, flames for life said:

And to me a “meh” season is a “why bother “ attitude, and I didn’t get that impression from Janko.  

Not for me. "meh" just means he was ok, met my expectations, but didn't do enough to change my previous evaluation of him so my level of excitement or expectations for Jankowski is unchanged.

but to clarify that should also not be taken as a negative. I like him and have for a while, and in fact I've been one of the few calling him an NHLer for years now. I just don't see much more of a ceiling to him than what he is showing that's all. Like I said he reminds me of Martin Hanzal which should not be considerd an insult in any way shape or form as Hanzal is a really good pro. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flames for life said:

Aside from our top line last season, all the others didn't perform particularly well. Jankowski by all accounts had a fairly good rookie season IMO all the while going with some mixed up lines. The best is yet to come for Jankowski and Bennett for that matter. Teamed with better talent and experience these two should excel this coming season. If BP wanted to keep some familiarity within his lines then we may see the following with Brouwer out.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik

Bennett, Ryan, Lindholm

Mangiapane, Jankowski, Czarnik

Klimchuk                         Lazar

DEFENSE without Stone

Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Kulak, Andersson

Prout

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Can't "Like This" because I don't, but I do agree that barring additional trades this is likely very close to the season-starting line-up.  Still got a couple of months of summer left and I would not be surprised if further trades are in the wind.

I anticipate a trade or two as well. My money is on a C - possibly Backlund or Jankowski (I'd be bummed out to lose either). After that I'd say it's Frolik, Bennett (which would be a mistake, methinks), Lazar, or Stone. They'll listen if anyone wants to talk about Brouwer as well. 

Love. 

48 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I anticipate a trade or two as well. My money is on a C - possibly Backlund or Jankowski (I'd be bummed out to lose either). After that I'd say it's Frolik, Bennett (which would be a mistake, methinks), Lazar, or Stone. They'll listen if anyone wants to talk about Brouwer as well. 

Love. 

I hope (and presume) that it would be in reverse order, starting with Brouwer then Stone.

No need to trade Bennett or Backlund right now, as we have a decent enough lineup.

Frolik should be kept unless his game has fallen off.  Last season was more of an anomaly.

Saying that, I would be listening if CBJ was dangling Panarin for a song.

Just think, we could have Breadman and Breadeater on the same team.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope (and presume) that it would be in reverse order, starting with Brouwer then Stone.

No need to trade Bennett or Backlund right now, as we have a decent enough lineup.

Frolik should be kept unless his game has fallen off.  Last season was more of an anomaly.

Saying that, I would be listening if CBJ was dangling Panarin for a song.

Just think, we could have Breadman and Breadeater on the same team.

I agree with the order. I am just saying that I'd anticipate one or two from that list are going to be moved. 

Unfortunately, I don't think we'd want to part with the assets that would be necessary to get Panarin. 

Love. 

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Certainly with our new players giving us options, and a new coach with a propensity to blend lines, this could happen.  I believe we could probably come up with dozens of combos if we wanted.... What would happen if Bennett hits the reset button and finds his 1C game and explodes all over the scoresheet?  Or Jankowski gets to another level and becomes that huge, skilled, fast 200ft C every team would love to have?  Both possible.  Would we be laughing all the way to the bank if Backlund and Monahan and Lindholm all got moved to the bottom 6 because we had better (well, Mony and Lindy would probably go to wing first....)?  It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

The bolded is definitely a dream. 

Our next captain,hands down.

Looking forward to Monahan the most, he hasn’t hit full potential yet.

Another year I expect he’ll mature to elite.

Hard to say “breakout” when he pots 30 regularly, but I can see it now with more support in better roles, and finally being in good health.

Think Scheifele. He’s going to be a problem for another solid 5 years where he’ll be our goal leader.

Bennett was never going to be like Mony, and I hate that folks all over Bennett about it.

Mony’s a snipe, that’s how he plays D.?

Bennett’s an excellent grinder but needs a sniper to find and pounce on rebounds.

I believe that Sean Monahan is hands down the best centre that the Calgary Flames have had since Joe Nieuwendyk.

There aren't many players in today's NHL that score as many important goals.

"Clutch" should be Sean's middle name.

The fact that he scored 31 goals, while playing with four injuries that required surgery, was nothing less than amazing.

No knock on Gaudreau or Tkachuk; but Monahan is my second favourite player on the team, after Mark Giordano.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I am talking about the year after he was injured. We buried a year by playing him more than the 9 games in the playoffs. Then, the next year we had to choose for him to play in the nhl or Jr. we chose NHL, he got close to 40 points with Backs and everything seemed fine. 

I think if we wanted to develop him as a C we should’ve sent him down, but I honk it was too late after playing the year with Backs. I am not sure if he would’ve been waiver eligible that year though as he had played a full year in the nhl. 

I think He shouldve went back to Jr and then even maybe to the AHL the year after that, or even went to the AHL to learn and play big minutes as a C.

But how do you go about doing that without souring him on the team?

we did that with both Brodie and Backs.. Sent them down multiple times to work on stuff.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 0:35 PM, travel_dude said:

I would say we have not seen the end of the trades.  I doubt Dougie and Ferland were the biggest issues in the locker room or the culture.  I'm not saying who I think remains (for now), just that I would not be surprised by any player being traded with a couple of exceptions:

Gio being traded signals a major shift in the organization

Gaudreau being traded would be akin to trading McInnis or Newy or Gilmour.

Monahan being traded would be giving up our most successful center in 20+ years.

Tkachuk being traded would PO so many people.  He's one of the greatest competitors we have.

Today on Fan 960 Derrick Wells came as close as you can to saying Hamilton asked to be traded. He hinted all around a bush about it but never just came out and said it.

1 minute ago, DirtyDeeds said:

we did that with both Brodie and Backs.. Sent them down multiple times to work on stuff.

Yup! I was thinking Bennett kind of reminds me of Backs, sort of. He’s getting similar flack for the lack of production and slow development. He’s starting to look defensive similarly to Backlund as well. I am mostly thinking career trajectory here. If Bennett can turn out like Backs I’d be happy. 

He’s still really young! 

Not everyone succeds right away

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I believe that Sean Monahan is hands down the best centre that the Calgary Flames have had since Joe Nieuwendyk.

There aren't many players in today's NHL that score as many important goals.

"Clutch" should be Sean's middle name.

The fact that he scored 31 goals, while playing with four injuries that required surgery, was nothing less than amazing.

No knock on Gaudreau or Tkachuk; but Monahan is my second favourite player on the team, after Mark Giordano.

And that’s a close 2nd for me. Mony’s head is always held high, imho.

He let’s the game come to him and shows zero intimidation. Which is why I think Bennett should be on his left, Bennett needs that, not forcing it like he does.

Tkachuk on the right.

Not great speed there, just work smarter, not harder.

I think Mony is the perfect remedy for those 2, let him become a leader.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And that’s a close 2nd for me. Mony’s head is always held high, imho.

He let’s the game come to him and shows zero intimidation. Which is why I think Bennett should be on his left, Bennett needs that, not forcing it like he does.

Tkachuk on the right.

Not great speed there, just work smarter, not harder.

I think Mony is the perfect remedy for those 2, let him become a leader.

It's an interesting combo.  I would need to see that combo in pre-season action before I cemented them together.

If we were exploring that, I would swap Tkachuk and Bennett to the opposite wings.

Bennett, IMHO, would be better off coming in on the right side, to give him more of the net to work with.

My concern about your suggested lines is that we got 3 RHS in the offseason, and we are only using 2 of them, and they play on the same line.  The top line doesn;t matter if it's Neal or Lindholm who plays there because they will score a ton (Mony with new hands and a groin).  The other lines need to have a RHS option to either play C or RW.

Maybe all Bennett needs is to play with a RHS C and be back with Frolik.  Want to confuse the other team, line up Frolik-Bennett-Ryan some shifts and Bennett-Ryan-Frolik on others.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, they won that because the opposing goalie had a meltdown.  Dropped the puck in his own net after saving it.

Janko was always below Acciari on the depth chart, until the final season.

Every writeup I read about him was saying he was more defensive than offensive.  Not the same impact of a Gaudreau.  That's not a slight.

Backlund came in as a sniper and was turned into a defensive C.

My point is that he's leaning more towards a 2-way C than say Monahan or Bennett.  You need that.  

My hope is that he can supplant Backlund in the future.  That would be a good thing. 

Maybe Bennett could get to that level, but it seems the coach and GM had more belief in Janko at C.

Maybe that changes this year. 

We need them both to get to the next level, or even higher.  I still have hope they both can.  

9 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

We need them both to get to the next level, or even higher.  I still have hope they both can.  

People need to stop thinking of Bennett as a total disaster. He has learned lots from on the job training and maybe we have to start thinking of him as a 20 goal LW that plays a strong two way game. I have no worries about Jankowski, he thinks the game and has shown steady progress. Now with the new horsepower here these two shouldn't hae so much pressure on them to be scoring machines.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

People need to stop thinking of Bennett as a total disaster. He has learned lots from on the job training and maybe we have to start thinking of him as a 20 goal LW that plays a strong two way game.

Hard to think of him as a 20 goal left wing when he has never scored 20 goals. It's like Glencross all over again (I remember the "He's practically a 30 goal scorer" even though he never hit 30g's). In fact, Bennett combines the last two seasons at 24 goals. On the other hand, I could definitely see Bennett being a very Glencross-esque type player if he puts it together (so a 13-15g, 25-30a, physical second/third line guy, with a few surprising years of 20-25g).

I don’t understand all this negativity with Janko. Did anyone watch the season last year? He has the potential to be our best forward in a couple years, this guy makes hockey look easy when he is playing at his best. I remember reading these comments before Johnny took off and people thought he would be a bust. Did they not watch him play? It was obvious he was special, thankfully we have a GM that understands potential in players. 

Not high on the idea of all this trade talk on Bennett either, this guy is a heart and soul player and when we do make ithe playoffs again he will be our best player year after year. You don’t trade players like this, plus he’s only 21....geeeze

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, calgaryflames84 said:

thankfully we have a GM that understands potential in players. 

As much as I back BT he still seems to see more potential in other teams discards than our own pipeline.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, calgaryflames84 said:

I don’t understand all this negativity with Janko. Did anyone watch the season last year? He has the potential to be our best forward in a couple years, this guy makes hockey look easy when he is playing at his best. I remember reading these comments before Johnny took off and people thought he would be a bust. Did they not watch him play? It was obvious he was special, thankfully we have a GM that understands potential in players. 

Not high on the idea of all this trade talk on Bennett either, this guy is a heart and soul player and when we do make ithe playoffs again he will be our best player year after year. You don’t trade players like this, plus he’s only 21....geeeze

Very few if any are saying trade Janko or Bennett for crap.

You trade those players if it makes you better, not just short term.

The bolded is based on what exactly.  He's got 6 points in 15 games.  4 of those came in his rookie season.

Not sayng he's a bust or anything, you just need to be reasonable in projections.  JH and Monahan each had 11 points.