Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Khrox said:

Hard to think of him as a 20 goal left wing when he has never scored 20 goals. It's like Glencross all over again (I remember the "He's practically a 30 goal scorer" even though he never hit 30g's). In fact, Bennett combines the last two seasons at 24 goals. On the other hand, I could definitely see Bennett being a very Glencross-esque type player if he puts it together (so a 13-15g, 25-30a, physical second/third line guy, with a few surprising years of 20-25g).

I don't see that as a stretch for Bennett with good line mates. Regardless we need Bennett to step up and make a statement this coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

As much as I back BT he still seems to see more potential in other teams discards than our own pipeline.

Why do you say this ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Why do you say this ?

 

Maybe you’re being sarcastic.

 

I think they mean, Lazar and players like Shore, etc. Then there are the players he poaches from teams that are non-playoff teams. 

 

I get mostly why he does it, but if we are consistently getting players from losers, how do we succeed?

 

lindholm still has a lot of potential, Hanifin isn’t desirable to his ex team. He could be a really good find, or we get another Hamilton? 

 

Up until this year all we’ve had were duct tape fixes. BT’s moves can be bold, or we just picked up more losers from another loser organization.

 

it does seem like all of the players we get are losers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Maybe you’re being sarcastic.

 

I think they mean, Lazar and players like Shore, etc. Then there are the players he poaches from teams that are non-playoff teams. 

 

I get mostly why he does it, but if we are consistently getting players from losers, how do we succeed?

 

lindholm still has a lot of potential, Hanifin isn’t desirable to his ex team. He could be a really good find, or we get another Hamilton? 

 

Up until this year all we’ve had were duct tape fixes. BT’s moves can be bold, or we just picked up more losers from another loser organization.

 

it does seem like all of the players we get are losers.

 

The cap had been an issue due to guys like Smid, Stajan and Wideman being on the books.

Even last year we had Stajan taking up $3m+ playing 4th line.

I agree that Lazar was a castoff.

So was Stewart.

Neither broke the back.

I don;t mind looking for value for the bottom 6 or 3.  That's how most teams fill a roster.

 

Ottawa used to be a winner.  CAR was trending in the right direction, but had Darling stinking up the joint.

STL was a good team.  BOS was a good team that couldn;t keep Czarnik.

 

There's a difference between loser teams' players that just want to collect a paycheck and those that want to win.

None of the guys we added has a bad attitude.  All are looking to win.  One's a vet who has finally made the NHL as a 30 year old (couple of years).

I would argue that of anyone, Brouwer "seems" to be the one that is causing some locker room issues, from his complaining of usage and getting into arguments with teammates.  That is a rumor, not first hand knowledge.  Did see some of that in game this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

The cap had been an issue due to guys like Smid, Stajan and Wideman being on the books.

Even last year we had Stajan taking up $3m+ playing 4th line.

I agree that Lazar was a castoff.

So was Stewart.

Neither broke the back.

I don;t mind looking for value for the bottom 6 or 3.  That's how most teams fill a roster.

 

Ottawa used to be a winner.  CAR was trending in the right direction, but had Darling stinking up the joint.

STL was a good team.  BOS was a good team that couldn;t keep Czarnik.

 

There's a difference between loser teams' players that just want to collect a paycheck and those that want to win.

None of the guys we added has a bad attitude.  All are looking to win.  One's a vet who has finally made the NHL as a 30 year old (couple of years).

I would argue that of anyone, Brouwer "seems" to be the one that is causing some locker room issues, from his complaining of usage and getting into arguments with teammates.  That is a rumor, not first hand knowledge.  Did see some of that in game this season.

 

Yup,

i was just pointing out with the other poster could’ve been thinking. He got into arguments with players? 

 

For me, it’s lazar, Vey, Raymond, and possibly Brouwer. We’ve been a reclamation project team for so long. It’s like paying a lotto. 

 

I am corrected on Lindholm. It could be a contract he deserves. I was hoping for 4.25-4.75... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

 

Yup,

i was just pointing out with the other poster could’ve been thinking. He got into arguments with players? 

 

For me, it’s lazar, Vey, Raymond, and possibly Brouwer. We’ve been a reclamation project team for so long. It’s like paying a lotto. 

 

I am corrected on Lindholm. It could be a contract he deserves. I was hoping for 4.25-4.75... 

 

Yeah, I forgot about MayRay.

I would prefer a cheaper deal, but it doesn;t really matter to me.

Monahan got shortchanged a bit, or a value deal as FF likes to call it.

In today's dollars/cap, Monahan would cost $7m+.

Brouwer and Frolik would be over 5m.

Gio would be 7+.

 

There were "reports" (and at least one video) of Brouwer getting into shouting matches with players on the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Maybe you’re being sarcastic.

 

I think they mean, Lazar and players like Shore, etc. Then there are the players he poaches from teams that are non-playoff teams. 

 

I get mostly why he does it, but if we are consistently getting players from losers, how do we succeed?

 

lindholm still has a lot of potential, Hanifin isn’t desirable to his ex team. He could be a really good find, or we get another Hamilton? 

 

Up until this year all we’ve had were duct tape fixes. BT’s moves can be bold, or we just picked up more losers from another loser organization.

 

it does seem like all of the players we get are losers.

I think our problem has been a lack of quality or ready pipeline players to move up. When you are forced to go this route and stay short term in nature you won't get real quality to fill holes. You end up hoping the Versteegs and Jagrs can help you progress the younger players. In a way I think our young core has benefitted however you do have situations half baked which is frustrating. I still think Lazar or Shore are types that can help on a 3rd or 4th line but you have to provide consistent playing time if you want measured results.

I like the moves we have made but they will create some push back leaving near ready players in Stockton which provides quality depth. For the most part our key core players are pulling even with our experienced players which has allowed BT to go ahead and sign someone like Neal hopefully to take us up another level. Lindholm, Ryan, Hanifin and Czarnik are all a notch better than what we had last season for the positions they will fill so we should be better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Yup,

i was just pointing out with the other poster could’ve been thinking. He got into arguments with players? 

 

For me, it’s lazar, Vey, Raymond, and possibly Brouwer. We’ve been a reclamation project team for so long. It’s like paying a lotto. 

 

I am corrected on Lindholm. It could be a contract he deserves. I was hoping for 4.25-4.75... 

When moving through a rebuild any team will go through the players such as Raymond, Vey and Bartkowskis mostly because their pipeline is void of talent and no real good UFAs want to land at a rebuild. Only now are we seeing this ability to trade talent for talent and have a talent such as Neal and Ryan choose Calgary. I don't think Hanifin was any problem in CAR and his name was in trade rumors because he was the most expendable to get forward talent which was a need. If the thinking was to remove a cancer and move Brodie back to the right side then we should be more than pleased to be getting Hanifin as the LSD replacement. All I have to say is Brodie had better perform way better than he has been over the past two seasons.

On Brouwer, total misfire by BT with both contract and what he was hoping to accomplish by having him join the team. Now the Flames want to play a fast speedy game that Brouwer is incapable of playing which is why they should bite the bullet and pay him out now. This team now has the young talent to interject on the 4th line and be able to carry 1.5M for the 4 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish teams were allowed to buyout contracts that don’t work. If a player isn’t fulfilling them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wish teams were allowed to buyout contracts that don’t work. If a player isn’t fulfilling them. 

I wish the rules were similar to baseball where you can cut ties with an under-performing player midseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wish teams were allowed to buyout contracts that don’t work. If a player isn’t fulfilling them. 

 

They do have that option.  There's a restocking fee, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

They do have that option.  There's a restocking fee, though.

 

What is a restocking fee? Is it the residual salary that stays on the cap?

 

doesnt football have it where a contract can be walked away from almost anytime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flip side of that though, are you ok with players who are out performing their deals coming forward and asking for more money? 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Flip side of that though, are you ok with players who are out performing their deals coming forward and asking for more money? 

 

 

 

But you don’t have that in other sports that do that. Most contracts are for fulfilling a dutie or at a specific rate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robrob74 said:

 

But you don’t have that in other sports that do that. Most contracts are for fulfilling a dutie or at a specific rate. 

 

Football does. Frequently you have players hold out or re negotiate with term left on their deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Football does. Frequently you have players hold out or re negotiate with term left on their deals. 

 

I stopped watching football so it had changed a lot since I last saw it (as a true fan). Hockey is my only sport now. 

 

What is is the likelihood of another lockout because of the inflated contracts? 

I suppose it’s not really the contracts as it’s in the details. I just wonder if it’s going to all crash one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

I stopped watching football so it had changed a lot since I last saw it (as a true fan). Hockey is my only sport now. 

 

What is is the likelihood of another lockout because of the inflated contracts? 

I suppose it’s not really the contracts as it’s in the details. I just wonder if it’s going to all crash one day.

 

If their is a lockout I don't think it will be because of the economic system, I think it will be because of personalities. Every league and every sport has drawbacks to their economic system and yet the NHL seems to be the only one who goes through lockouts and misses time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

What is a restocking fee? Is it the residual salary that stays on the cap?

 

doesnt football have it where a contract can be walked away from almost anytime?

 

I was referring to the cap hit for the buy out years.  Was just using a retail term for it.

You buy something, return it, and the store charges you a restocking fee (like auto parts, etc.).  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the GM needs a deterrent to buyout a lot so that the owners and players get their true share of the revenue. If there isn’t residue left from a buyout, rich teams can buyout whenever they want and the players start going over half of the share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I guess the GM needs a deterrent to buyout a lot so that the owners and players get their true share of the revenue. If there isn’t residue left from a buyout, rich teams can buyout whenever they want and the players start going over half of the share.

 

For older players (26+), they get 2/3 of the remaining contract value.  It also allows them to sign another deal.

Properly structured (declining actual salary) contracts cost poorer team less.

It's a get out of jail free card for most teams.

Burke describes it as a method of extending the term while reducing the AAV.

You get to the last year or two and you can buy it out.

Deals like Brouwer's didn't fit this very well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barring any further additions or deletions to the current NHL roster, I expect to see this lineup on opening night:

 

Gaudreau (LW) - Monahan (C) - Neal (LW/RW)  - Using Neal for the purpose that he was obtained for.

Tkachuk (LW/RW) - Backlund (C) - Lindholm (C/RW)  - EL should fit in easily with MT & MB.

Bennett (LW/C) - Jankowski (C) - Frolik (LW/C/RW)  - Frolik would be a valuable mentor for the kids.

? - Ryan (C/RW) - Czarnik (RW) - More speed than last season.

 

Extras: Brouwer (RW), Hathaway (RW), Lazar (C/RW), Quine (C).

One of them will need to play LW on the 4th line, and one of them will have to be waived to Stockton.

 

Giordano (LD) - Brodie (LD/RD)

Hanifin (LD) - Hamonic (RD)

Kulak (LD) - Stone (LD/RD)

 

Extra: Prout (RD)

I expect that Prout will only play against some of the heavier teams.

If there is an injury to the top six D, I think that there will be a call up from Stockton; Andersson (RD) or Kylington (LD) depending on which side.

 

Smith

Rittch

 

Gilles will start in Stockton, as Rittich is waiver eligible, and Gillies is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

For older players (26+), they get 2/3 of the remaining contract value.  It also allows them to sign another deal.

Properly structured (declining actual salary) contracts cost poorer team less.

It's a get out of jail free card for most teams.

Burke describes it as a method of extending the term while reducing the AAV.

You get to the last year or two and you can buy it out.

Deals like Brouwer's didn't fit this very well. 

 

I wonder if BT has any magic left with ARZ to work out some kind of deal involving Brouwer going there.

Would it make any sense for them and us for them to take Brouwer and we take the Bolland IR contract for a season ? ARZ at least gets a useful player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Barring any further additions or deletions to the current NHL roster, I expect to see this lineup on opening night:

 

Gaudreau (LW) - Monahan (C) - Neal (LW/RW)  - Using Neal for the purpose that he was obtained for.

Tkachuk (LW/RW) - Backlund (C) - Lindholm (C/RW)  - EL should fit in easily with MT & MB.

Bennett (LW/C) - Jankowski (C) - Frolik (LW/C/RW)  - Frolik would be a valuable mentor for the kids.

? - Ryan (C/RW) - Czarnik (RW) - More speed than last season.

 

Extras: Brouwer (RW), Hathaway (RW), Lazar (C/RW), Quine (C).

One of them will need to play LW on the 4th line, and one of them will have to be waived to Stockton.

 

Giordano (LD) - Brodie (LD/RD)

Hanifin (LD) - Hamonic (RD)

Kulak (LD) - Stone (LD/RD)

 

Extra: Prout (RD)

I expect that Prout will only play against some of the heavier teams.

If there is an injury to the top six D, I think that there will be a call up from Stockton; Andersson (RD) or Kylington (LD) depending on which side.

 

Smith

Rittch

 

Gilles will start in Stockton, as Rittich is waiver eligible, and Gillies is not.

I don't think they brought Ryan in for 4th line duties and that we will see Jankowski there for a slower learning curve. Personally I am hoping BT can move out Brouwer and Hathaway. I think you have the defense correct especially with Stone still here. Wouldn't hurt to have Valimaki and Andersson playing together in the A. I would like to see this roster.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm

Bennett, Ryan, Frolik

Klimchuk, Jankowski, Czarnik

Ehliz                            Lazar
DEFENSE

Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Kulak, Stone

Prout

GOALIES

Smith and Rittich

The realization for the coming season is IMO the alignment for depth in the AHL. We will have call up depth that can come into positions of where they should play according to their talents. Example should either Bennett, Tkachuk or Gaudreau go down Mangiapane is primed and ready to go. We will have ready go to answers on the farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I wonder if BT has any magic left with ARZ to work out some kind of deal involving Brouwer going there.

Would it make any sense for them and us for them to take Brouwer and we take the Bolland IR contract for a season ? ARZ at least gets a useful player.

 

Well they got Bolland and Crouse for a 2nd and a 3rd.  Insurance pays for most of Bolland's salary.

Considering what little Chayka gets for cap dumps, it may work.

Both players do have M-NTC's but I doubt it would matter to Bolland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I wonder if BT has any magic left with ARZ to work out some kind of deal involving Brouwer going there.

Would it make any sense for them and us for them to take Brouwer and we take the Bolland IR contract for a season ? ARZ at least gets a useful player.

 

Not really. Why would they want to have to pay Brouwer for 2 more years instead of just eating the cap hit for Bolland for 1 more year? You'd have to toss in a pretty good sweetener for that to make sense as that's a pretty expensive deal for the coyotes to make. 

Doesnt makr a lot of sense for Flames either. If you are a cap team acquiring an LTIR deal doesn't make sense. Limits your flexibility during the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...