Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Going4TheCup

Sam Bennett

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

Thanks for this, I am happy for him as well and I’m glad he’s showing everyone what his potential is. It is heart breaking that he was never going to get a fair shake here, that doesn’t point to a kid failing his team, that points to a team failing their prospect. I hope someone has to answer why that happened, and figure out how to make sure it doesn’t happen again. 

 

You know, I love this trade.

 

Is it a good trade?  NOPE.   Is getting picks at least the right direction?  sure.    

 

I love this trade because it blatantly showcases the incompetence of our management over the last decade and there is NOWHERE for them to hide.    The excuses won't work this time.    Heads need to roll before this team ever starts rolling again.   And this trade is the trade that could do it.  It could actually mark a turning point.   Not one we'll see on the ice, but a turning point in some truly aweful management that finally isn't able to out-run their aweful mistakes by firing coaches and switching out washed up goalies.

 

Even if it's ownership driven, if this keeps up the owners themselves are going to start feelling pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

You know, I love this trade.

 

Is it a good trade?  NOPE.   Is getting picks at least the right direction?  sure.    

 

I love this trade because it blatantly showcases the incompetence of our management over the last decade and there is NOWHERE for them to hide.    The excuses won't work this time.    Heads need to roll before this team ever starts rolling again.   And this trade is the trade that could do it.  It could actually mark a turning point.   Not one we'll see on the ice, but a turning point in some truly aweful management that finally isn't able to out-run their aweful mistakes by firing coaches and switching out washed up goalies.

 

Even if it's ownership driven, if this keeps up the owners themselves are going to start feelling pressure.

I wish I could share your optimism, but I don’t see this as that kind of trade. Sam isn’t Gilmore or St. Louis, he’s not going to just become a 30 goal 60 point forward like magic. He’s at best a 20 goal 35 point guy, who shows you flashes of what could be. He’s on a sugar high with a new team, he’ll be good in the playoffs, and then back to normal. I was shocked to get more than a 3rd rounder, so I really doubt this trade will be the catalyst you’re hoping for. That trade will occur next season at the tdl when we move Gaudreau for a late first (if we are lucky) after choosing to run the same core one more time and coming up short (or worse, keeping JG for another first round exit and getting nothing at all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

I wish I could share your optimism, but I don’t see this as that kind of trade. Sam isn’t Gilmore or St. Louis, he’s not going to just become a 30 goal 60 point forward like magic. He’s at best a 20 goal 35 point guy, who shows you flashes of what could be. He’s on a sugar high with a new team, he’ll be good in the playoffs, and then back to normal. I was shocked to get more than a 3rd rounder, so I really doubt this trade will be the catalyst you’re hoping for. That trade will occur next season at the tdl when we move Gaudreau for a late first (if we are lucky) after choosing to run the same core one more time and coming up short (or worse, keeping JG for another first round exit and getting nothing at all).

 

Not sure if you were around for Claude Lemieux, but..

 

Literally, this is all any actual cup contending team wants.   A player who raises his game in the playoffs.   That's how you get a contender in under the cap.

 

Literally the Perfect asset for winning cups.  8 points in his list 5 games is Exactly player he was projected to be and capable of.  Yes he's on a sugar high but he's also getting minutes and Linemates and hits and shots on goal.

 

So yeah we probably should have traded him because this organisation hasn't shown any interest in post-season success, we don't even have anyone on the right-hand side of the ice.    If your worst case scenario plays out he's still a highly valuable asset to any contender and while it may only be 5 games he's worth first rounders now, not 2nd rounders.

 

You're right that it's too early to call this a Gilmour or St Louis trade.     But does he have that in him?   Oh .. yes .   It could go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I wish I could share your optimism, but I don’t see this as that kind of trade. Sam isn’t Gilmore or St. Louis, he’s not going to just become a 30 goal 60 point forward like magic. He’s at best a 20 goal 35 point guy, who shows you flashes of what could be. He’s on a sugar high with a new team, he’ll be good in the playoffs, and then back to normal. I was shocked to get more than a 3rd rounder, so I really doubt this trade will be the catalyst you’re hoping for. That trade will occur next season at the tdl when we move Gaudreau for a late first (if we are lucky) after choosing to run the same core one more time and coming up short (or worse, keeping JG for another first round exit and getting nothing at all).

Fla's next 2 are against the Canes so I'd expect good playoff hockey to watch. Bennett is definitely going to see some tough matchups.

I wouldn't really peg him for what he was with the Flames just yet. He's playing with an exceptional talent now, better than any player we have, in Huberdeau.

It's too early to call in either direction.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fla's next 2 are against the Canes so I'd expect good playoff hockey to watch. Bennett is definitely going to see some tough matchups.

I wouldn't really peg him for what he was with the Flames just yet. He's playing with an exceptional talent now, better than any player we have, in Huberdeau.

It's too early to call in either direction.

 

 

Big difference is that he's playing with that talent along with being the center.

He never really got that shot in CGY with someone like Gaudreau on one wing and a Dube or Lindy on the other.

 

Hes also getting consistent PP time in FLA. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

 

Big difference is that he's playing with that talent along with being the center.

He never really got that shot in CGY with someone like Gaudreau on one wing and a Dube or Lindy on the other.

 

Hes also getting consistent PP time in FLA. 

Also being able to talk to Barkov can't hurt.

Only a year older, but Barkov is likely the best 2 way C in the game today.

Add in the coaching, and Tre definitely have Sam the best opportunity out there.

That can't be overlooked either.

He really did what was best for team and player. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 10:54 AM, conundrumed said:

Also being able to talk to Barkov can't hurt.

Only a year older, but Barkov is likely the best 2 way C in the game today.

Add in the coaching, and Tre definitely have Sam the best opportunity out there.

That can't be overlooked either.

He really did what was best for team and player. 

 

 

I'm convinced if we still had Sam Bennett, then we would've lost the last 4 straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

I'm convinced if we still had Sam Bennett, then we would've lost the last 4 straight.


why do you think that? 
 

is it because of how you slot  the players? I guess, even though there’s a big tilt to the left, he still made the mix off, plus the distraction from earlier. 
 

I think this team finds players and then don’t know how to compliment them with players for them to succeed with. 
 

but I think you’re right, and now I think the Flames are going to make the playoffs. Being the underdog may help them win a round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

I'm convinced if we still had Sam Bennett, then we would've lost the last 4 straight.

 

I agree with this.   But I also think Bennett's development was messed up here.

 

I think it startled players back to life.   But that's not necessarily a good thing.   It just shows we have a team that responds better to sticks than to carrots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:


why do you think that? 
 

is it because of how you slot  the players? I guess, even though there’s a big tilt to the left, he still made the mix off, plus the distraction from earlier. 
 

I think this team finds players and then don’t know how to compliment them with players for them to succeed with. 
 

but I think you’re right, and now I think the Flames are going to make the playoffs. Being the underdog may help them win a round. 

I also think we got a good chance at making the playoffs.....where, we are going to sorrily miss Benny....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

I'm convinced if we still had Sam Bennett, then we would've lost the last 4 straight.

 

You mean instead of 2 of 4?

It's odd, but in the last 4 games he played here, he had 5 points yet we had 1 win, the blowout of EDM.

Kind of a shame we couldn't find a lineup with him in it that was consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

You mean instead of 2 of 4?

It's odd, but in the last 4 games he played here, he had 5 points yet we had 1 win, the blowout of EDM.

Kind of a shame we couldn't find a lineup with him in it that was consistent.

Agreed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, robrob74 said:


why do you think that? 
 

is it because of how you slot  the players? I guess, even though there’s a big tilt to the left, he still made the mix off, plus the distraction from earlier. 
 

I think this team finds players and then don’t know how to compliment them with players for them to succeed with. 
 

but I think you’re right, and now I think the Flames are going to make the playoffs. Being the underdog may help them win a round. 

 

Partly, yes. Many things though. 

 

The Flames were actually playing well early in the season when Bennett requests a trade through his agent.  Since then, the team went on a slide.  He needed to go immediately and we couldn't find a trade partner.  The locker room just wasn't right after that.

 

The fit.  He wants to play Center but there's no room for him.  He's disgruntled but keeping a professional demeanor.  Everyone can feel it.  Everyone can see he's getting treated poorly and it makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

 

I also feel he's not smart enough with the puck and teammates don't want to play on his line.

 

And generally speaking, Bennett often negates his positive contributions with a major negative.

 

And lastly, if it's broken then don't fix it.  Even a small trade like this seemed to have fixed the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Partly, yes. Many things though. 

 

The Flames were actually playing well early in the season when Bennett requests a trade through his agent.  Since then, the team went on a slide.  He needed to go immediately and we couldn't find a trade partner.  The locker room just wasn't right after that.

 

The fit.  He wants to play Center but there's no room for him.  He's disgruntled but keeping a professional demeanor.  Everyone can feel it.  Everyone can see he's getting treated poorly and it makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

 

I also feel he's not smart enough with the puck and teammates don't want to play on his line.

 

And generally speaking, Bennett often negates his positive contributions with a major negative.

 

And lastly, if it's broken then don't fix it.  Even a small trade like this seemed to have fixed the lineup.

Lol, we're only fortunate Price is out.

Are we really good suddenly? We haven't done anything yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lol, we're only fortunate Price is out.

Are we really good suddenly? We haven't done anything yet.

 

We are playing better than MTL, not exactly a ringing endorsement.

TBH, we are playing better for 60 minutes now than we were a month ago.

And better than we did in all of February and January.

A run of 8-1 is basically what we need to just have a chance.

That doesn't even get it done.

What it does do is put doubt in MTL and VAN.

It's one thing to 

 

It could all be for not, and we could really screw ourselves in not giving opportunity to rookies or losing out on a decent raft pick.

Why it took 40 games for the team to figure this out is beyond me.

 

This season is shaping up to be exactly the way we played a lot of games.

Being down 3-1 in the first.

We get nothing in the 2nd.

In the 3rd, we get a goal about 10 minutes in.

Spend the rest of the game trying to get that tying goal.

Could tie it up and then lose in OT.

Poor analogy, but it's kinda like how I see this team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

We are playing better than MTL, not exactly a ringing endorsement.

TBH, we are playing better for 60 minutes now than we were a month ago.

And better than we did in all of February and January.

A run of 8-1 is basically what we need to just have a chance.

That doesn't even get it done.

What it does do is put doubt in MTL and VAN.

It's one thing to 

 

It could all be for not, and we could really screw ourselves in not giving opportunity to rookies or losing out on a decent raft pick.

Why it took 40 games for the team to figure this out is beyond me.

 

This season is shaping up to be exactly the way we played a lot of games.

Being down 3-1 in the first.

We get nothing in the 2nd.

In the 3rd, we get a goal about 10 minutes in.

Spend the rest of the game trying to get that tying goal.

Could tie it up and then lose in OT.

Poor analogy, but it's kinda like how I see this team.

 

 

That's how I see the team as well. The skate to get a sense of the game, and then they've put themselves behind by waiting to see how it goes and then have to engage, like they're waiting to see what kind of game it's going to be. They fight and claw their way back, some times it works and sometimes it's a waste of energy, and then sometimes it gives false hope. I think that's why some people may think it's a good team underneath of it all, is that false hope they provide. 

 

Aside from responding to your comment: for me, a team can have the puck all they want, but if they can't do anything with it, it's meaningless. Lately, they may not be getting only shots from the perimeter anymore, but that's kind of how I've seen them over the past few years. Skate around with it, not get any real dangerous opportunities and the other teams wait for them to make a mistake, mistake happens and it's in the back of the net. But back to your point, they seem to need to be behind in order to play. 

 

I kind of think that's the theme with this group for years now. Like some have said, maybe the Hartley Playoff year has hurt their mentality, that they can comeback anytime, and that's just not always the case. Even in the really good year, I thought they had possession, but it was really when they were behind or when they've weathered the first period storm that they finally started to play. I would call them out on it almost all the time and everyone was saying I was a buzzkill. Maybe you can win that way in the New NHL and I'm wrong. I just don't think that's a recipe for success in the playoffs or for winning Cups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lol, we're only fortunate Price is out.

Are we really good suddenly? We haven't done anything yet.

 

Bennett will find a way to screw it up for us lol.  That's all I'm saying.

 

And I believe in lucky charms.  We needed Bennett to get a higher draft pick but now he's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Aside from responding to your comment: for me, a team can have the puck all they want, but if they can't do anything with it, it's meaningless. Lately, they may not be getting only shots from the perimeter anymore, but that's kind of how I've seen them over the past few years. Skate around with it, not get any real dangerous opportunities and the other teams wait for them to make a mistake, mistake happens and it's in the back of the net. But back to your point, they seem to need to be behind in order to play. 

 

I see it differently, but that is just my view.  They are playing better and getting the chances just not finishing.

I saw Backlund have a look at a empty net and he missed on both locations.

Tkachuk had a look at the same thing but was unlucky to hit a stick.

These are just a few examples.

The chances are there.

We have seen a few games where the chances were nil, but those are fewer than hen's teeth.

 

My analogy was about how we let the season get away from us.

We haven't played that way so much in the past 10 games.

The Ottawa game was an example of how we make a couple of mistakes early and get burned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I see it differently, but that is just my view.  They are playing better and getting the chances just not finishing.

I saw Backlund have a look at a empty net and he missed on both locations.

Tkachuk had a look at the same thing but was unlucky to hit a stick.

These are just a few examples.

The chances are there.

We have seen a few games where the chances were nil, but those are fewer than hen's teeth.

 

My analogy was about how we let the season get away from us.

We haven't played that way so much in the past 10 games.

The Ottawa game was an example of how we make a couple of mistakes early and get burned. 

 

 

Ya, and that's why I said the past few years, not as much lately. But the years past seems like they played this way... But this season is like that only in that they started slow and now that they are behind and need to play, they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

 

Ya, and that's why I said the past few years, not as much lately. But the years past seems like they played this way... But this season is like that only in that they started slow and now that they are behind and need to play, they are. 

 

Like my analogy about the season.

Let it slip away now playing to tie and win in the "3rd".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Like my analogy about the season.

Let it slip away now playing to tie and win in the "3rd".

 

I have a feeling this is going to go to the "shootout." It might end up that the team that wins the last few, wins the shootout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sammy with a goal last night and 3 assists tonight, 20 mins of ice. Imagine if we’d have played him with some quality wingers. We got 18 year old Sam Bennett and the panthers are going to love having 25-29 year old Sam Bennett......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Addicted said:

Sammy with a goal last night and 3 assists tonight, 20 mins of ice. Imagine if we’d have played him with some quality wingers. We got 18 year old Sam Bennett and the panthers are going to love having 25-29 year old Sam Bennett......

 

Sheesh.  What vaccines are they feeding him down there in Florida?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Sheesh.  What vaccines are they feeding him down there in Florida?


I have always thought he had it in him. You lose skill if you don’t get to practice it. That and playing with the right players helps. It’ll be another year and he’ll be back on track. 
 

I think everyone is right though, that he looked bad and no IQ. But he had all odds against him in Calgary, the moment Tkachuk arrived. Well, they could have played them together to create another generation of line. 
 

I always said, if he played with Johnny or something good compared to what he got and got the minutes, he’d have succeeded. We saw him depleted because of the inconsistency from the coaches which bred inconsistency in him. 
 

he has a role in Florida and he can play it. 
 

maybe it’s the #9!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Benny has 10 points in 7 games in Florida. He had 12 points in each of the last 2 seaons here. What is obvious is that he did have the talent but was never provided the opportunity to enhance it, plus it shows how poor a quailty the coaching and players he played with are. This club is like a talent vortex it judt sucks the talent and skill right out of players

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...