Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Going4TheCup

Sam Bennett

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

What do you mean?  Draisaitl proves my point.  He is crap.  He needs elite talent on his line to put up numbers.

 

he isn't. He's still actually effective without McDavid he's just that much better with him. Could also look at Ehlers, Schiefele, Monahan etc.

 

What I meant is that some players, especially young ones, need help to get going. Doesn't mean they are not good, means they are learning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Bennett

Peluso

Ryan

were the only 3 Flames that did not register a shot, hit or point. in the Nashville game.

Bennett actually scored a great goal but the refs screwed up and blew the play dead for no reason.  Bennett had a good game, Ryan too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to the radio on the way home, and Elliott Friedman was talking about Sam Bennett as a possible trade candidate and led listeners to believe he is wanted by other clubs. 

 

While he may be not used where he would be most successful here, I believe he has the right to request a trade. In his mind he’s got to be thinking that even with the new coaching staff, he’s not got what he wanted in this city.

 

This is just my opinion, but I believe the signing of Derek Ryan and Austin Czarnik has sent a clear message to Sam. Be better or your not going to play here, however, we’re not going to put you in an offensive role. So really that means you’re not in the scoring mix. Realistically, his ceiling is higher than both of those players, and he is better than Ryan (some of you may disagree, but I feel the Ryan signing was a mistake from the get go. It’s just another contract to hold back the development of our youth - Bennett included. You can talk all you want about Ryan’s face offs and potential playmaking ability, however, he’s not going to get much in the way of top six minutes and will probably struggle to even get Frolik numbers from last year). The honeymoon for this player is coming to an end and I feel this contract will be tough to move when it doesn’t work out.

 

Aside from that, if Bennett is not in the future plans, he should be packaged with a Frolik (or even better, Ryan) and we should be targeting a Michael Stone or Willy Nylander as a return.

 

Overall, I’m disappointed with the way everything’s worked out. He should have been at least our #2 center. I really hope he shows what he can do, but I feel like the deck is stacked against him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a list of teams having/had interest in Bennett, the return could end up being decent if BT plays his cards right. Look at our Lazar trade, yeah OTT played us but Dorion created a bidding war for Lazar and ended up getting a 2nd rounder for a guy who's a fringe NHLer. Hamonic trade same thing, Snow created a bidding war between us, TOR and DET and got quite a haul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 7wit said:

Listening to the radio on the way home, and Elliott Friedman was talking about Sam Bennett as a possible trade candidate and led listeners to believe he is wanted by other clubs. 

 

While he may be not used where he would be most successful here, I believe he has the right to request a trade. In his mind he’s got to be thinking that even with the new coaching staff, he’s not got what he wanted in this city.

 

This is just my opinion, but I believe the signing of Derek Ryan and Austin Czarnik has sent a clear message to Sam. Be better or your not going to play here, however, we’re not going to put you in an offensive role. So really that means you’re not in the scoring mix. Realistically, his ceiling is higher than both of those players, and he is better than Ryan (some of you may disagree, but I feel the Ryan signing was a mistake from the get go. It’s just another contract to hold back the development of our youth - Bennett included. You can talk all you want about Ryan’s face offs and potential playmaking ability, however, he’s not going to get much in the way of top six minutes and will probably struggle to even get Frolik numbers from last year). The honeymoon for this player is coming to an end and I feel this contract will be tough to move when it doesn’t work out.

 

Aside from that, if Bennett is not in the future plans, he should be packaged with a Frolik (or even better, Ryan) and we should be targeting a Michael Stone or Willy Nylander as a return.

 

Overall, I’m disappointed with the way everything’s worked out. He should have been at least our #2 center. I really hope he shows what he can do, but I feel like the deck is stacked against him.

I wonder what is more common. Do we listen to 960 for Flames news, or do they run out of topics to discuss and come here to find out what people are talking about? I could see them coming here to identify topics because those poor guys have to talk long hours about the same thing over and over. I am not sure how they do it. I kind of miss listening to Steinberg after games. That dude is amazingly good at dealing with angry drunks. As in, the dude should be a cop dealing with terrorists, suicidal jumpers, and Donald Trump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With a list of teams having/had interest in Bennett, the return could end up being decent if BT plays his cards right. Look at our Lazar trade, yeah OTT played us but Dorion created a bidding war for Lazar and ended up getting a 2nd rounder for a guy who's a fringe NHLer. Hamonic trade same thing, Snow created a bidding war between us, TOR and DET and got quite a haul.

 

Bidding war?

I think it was they wanted a 2nd and held out for it.

We blinked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Bidding war?

I think it was they wanted a 2nd and held out for it.

We blinked.

It was a 1st they wanted if I remember correctly, and BT got him for a 2nd.. what a steal. Either way there was interest in him, wasn't like how we miraculously got a 2nd for Berra haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Bidding war?

I think it was they wanted a 2nd and held out for it.

We blinked.

 

Possible. Here’s My 2 cents

 

Lazar had the pedigree of being a former first round pick, and the tagline of being miscast in Ottawa. He was sold for a 2nd round pick on his potential to meet the expectations for him - with only a change of scenery and philosophy. 

 

I’m not a betting man but I think it’s logical to assume there would be interest by more teams than only us in a player that young with the draft pedigree, team canada captain history, and Ottawa storyline - not to mention the good soldier (character) he is. 

 

But we’ll never know for sure.

 

BT took a swing at a player that could fit the youth movement here. He missed. No GM has a perfect record, but I think ours wins more than he loses and I like that he’s not one to sit on his hands when we don’t see positive results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I wonder what is more common. Do we listen to 960 for Flames news, or do they run out of topics to discuss and come here to find out what people are talking about? I could see them coming here to identify topics because those poor guys have to talk long hours about the same thing over and over. I am not sure how they do it. I kind of miss listening to Steinberg after games. That dude is amazingly good at dealing with angry drunks. As in, the dude should be a cop dealing with terrorists, suicidal jumpers, and Donald Trump.

Don't get me started, lol.

Same rants, same stale old rants. It really isn't difficult at all to think a little deeper, just do it.

Did Bennett get the Oiler stars sense of entitlement treatment after his first year?

Hand him the keys to the Ferrari.

"i worked so hard to get here, finally, my dream".

Nuh-uh. Now you work twice as hard to stay here.

We went reverse order of practicality imho.

You're supposed to knock them down, then build him up. Then knock them down a few more times as they get their wings.

We built him up, and then piled on that he wasn't a 20 yr old phenom.

Does this sound a little familiar? Like the Oilers do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bennett's worst season is better then Lazar's best. I don't think they are great comparisons. Kyle Turris out of Phoenix is probably a better comparison. A so so prospect and a second. Not an identical situation given Turris original hold out vs Bennett's declining numbers, but not far off given age, draft spot, and play to date. 

 

It is also interesting to note Turris has developed into a 50+ point defensive centre while the prospect and pick Phoenix got turned into squat. 

 

Bennett looks good. The Flames are way better off keeping him unless someone blows them away with an offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Bennett's worst season is better then Lazar's best. I don't think they are great comparisons. Kyle Turris out of Phoenix is probably a better comparison. A so so prospect and a second. Not an identical situation given Turris original hold out vs Bennett's declining numbers, but not far off given age, draft spot, and play to date. 

 

It is also interesting to note Turris has developed into a 50+ point defensive centre while the prospect and pick Phoenix got turned into squat. 

 

Bennett looks good. The Flames are way better off keeping him unless someone blows them away with an offer. 

He's fast, good 200' game, and can stickhandle in a phonebooth.

As we've changed our philosophy now, it's hardly the time to move Bennett.

I like Friedman and all, but this rumour was during camp.

The team is looking a lot more Bennett-friendly with young and fast, rather than slow and boring.

Worst time to trade him is right now, when we can finally accommodate his style of play.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's fast, good 200' game, and can stickhandle in a phonebooth.

As we've changed our philosophy now, it's hardly the time to move Bennett.

I like Friedman and all, but this rumour was during camp.

The team is looking a lot more Bennett-friendly with young and fast, rather than slow and boring.

Worst time to trade him is right now, when we can finally accommodate his style of play.

Agreed. Unless we get something crazy offered to us, why bother trading him? He is not getting paid McDavid money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the return is phenomenal, like two first rounders or a top 10 pick, then forget it.  From what we know, Bennett is a great team guy.  He doesn't cause problems and we've never heard him complain about ice time or what position he plays.  I think we've been fair to him and he understands.

 

Again for the tenth time, as long as we can accept he's not the next Doug Gilmour, then let's be happy he will be the next Nick Foligno, Mike Fisher, like that type of a player and career.  Let's keep him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

He's fast, good 200' game, and can stickhandle in a phonebooth.

As we've changed our philosophy now, it's hardly the time to move Bennett.

I like Friedman and all, but this rumour was during camp.

The team is looking a lot more Bennett-friendly with young and fast, rather than slow and boring.

Worst time to trade him is right now, when we can finally accommodate his style of play.

 

I agree. Why then do we keep signing other contracts that interfere with the growth and potential of our young players? Can we even keep Bennett for next year? Even if the cap goes up and you have $10 or $11 million to spend, Tkachuk is going to get 6-7 of that. I guess if Gillies is your guy in net you can keep him for $3 million or so...someone is going to have to get moved to accommodate. I really don’t like signing 30 year olds for 3 year/$3 million dollar deals. More often than not it doesn’t work out the way you want it and you get Stajan or  Brouwer like players who rarely score for the money you give them (tough to move those contracts as well) and you end up cutting loose or stunting the St. Louis like players of the future because of misjudgment and mismanagement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Unless the return is phenomenal, like two first rounders or a top 10 pick, then forget it.  From what we know, Bennett is a great team guy.  He doesn't cause problems and we've never heard him complain about ice time or what position he plays.  I think we've been fair to him and he understands.

 

Again for the tenth time, as long as we can accept he's not the next Doug Gilmour, then let's be happy he will be the next Nick Foligno, Mike Fisher, like that type of a player and career.  Let's keep him.

 

And maybe he should change his jersey number. Doug Gilmour apparently he is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I wonder what is more common. Do we listen to 960 for Flames news, or do they run out of topics to discuss and come here to find out what people are talking about? I could see them coming here to identify topics because those poor guys have to talk long hours about the same thing over and over. I am not sure how they do it. I kind of miss listening to Steinberg after games. That dude is amazingly good at dealing with angry drunks. As in, the dude should be a cop dealing with terrorists, suicidal jumpers, and Donald Trump.

 

That’s funny! I’ve always thought sometimes what we hear on 960 comes from our posts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 7wit said:

 

I agree. Why then do we keep signing other contracts that interfere with the growth and potential of our young players? Can we even keep Bennett for next year? Even if the cap goes up and you have $10 or $11 million to spend, Tkachuk is going to get 6-7 of that. I guess if Gillies is your guy in net you can keep him for $3 million or so...someone is going to have to get moved to accommodate. I really don’t like signing 30 year olds for 3 year/$3 million dollar deals. More often than not it doesn’t work out the way you want it and you get Stajan or  Brouwer like players who rarely score for the money you give them (tough to move those contracts as well) and you end up cutting loose or stunting the St. Louis like players of the future because of misjudgment and mismanagement.

 

Next summer could be interesting.  We don’t have any big salaries expiring, so space will need to be made for Tkachuk.  Hopefully BT can unload Stone this season, and while I still think Frolik has game, he’s become expendable.  That gives you the space you need for Tkachuk.

 

Bennett is also up next summer.  If he spends most of the year playing 4th line minutes, he will probably be lucky to put up 10 goals and 20 points.  They will probably trade him for whatever they can get, maybe a 3rd rounder.  If he can’t reach those numbers, I could see him not getting a qualifying offer and walking away.  On the other hand, if he sticks to the third line most of the year we could see him turn in a typical Bennett season (15 goals, 30 point range), in which case we probably keep him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ABC923 said:

 

Next summer could be interesting.  We don’t have any big salaries expiring, so space will need to be made for Tkachuk.  Hopefully BT can unload Stone this season, and while I still think Frolik has game, he’s become expendable.  That gives you the space you need for Tkachuk.

 

Bennett is also up next summer.  If he spends most of the year playing 4th line minutes, he will probably be lucky to put up 10 goals and 20 points.  They will probably trade him for whatever they can get, maybe a 3rd rounder.  If he can’t reach those numbers, I could see him not getting a qualifying offer and walking away.  On the other hand, if he sticks to the third line most of the year we could see him turn in a typical Bennett season (15 goals, 30 point range), in which case we probably keep him.

First things first and that is getting Bennett to a solid place for success, not 4th line minutes. If management wants to suppress his performance so they don't have to pay him we have the wrong people managing. If you suppress him to the point he has little value what is the sense. I think we now have the forward talent to get this team rockin and I would be putting Bennett back at C with Tkachuk and Neal. I like Dube as much as anyone but let him pay some dues playing with Jankowski and Czarnik, this would be an awesome 4th line. It could also be the line that could allows BT at some point to trade all of Backlund, Frolik and Ryan, not all in one offseason but takes in some cap management.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

First things first and that is getting Bennett to a solid place for success, not 4th line minutes. If management wants to suppress his performance so they don't have to pay him we have the wrong people managing. If you suppress him to the point he has little value what is the sense.

 

Bennett is in a solid place for success.  And that's on the third line because he's not the next Doug Gilmour.  He is a 40-point two-way bottom six super grinder.  Let him be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I like Dube as much as anyone but let him pay some dues playing with Jankowski and Czarnik, this would be an awesome 4th line.

 

I don't disagree with the line.  I don't agree with the reason for doing so.

You earn your spot in the lineup by your versatility.

Dube is an experiment right now to see where he will struiggle.

In the coach's eyes, he has met every challenge given to him.

 

I think we are reading in way to much in Bennett's usage right now.  There are 11 other guys that have to be crafted into the best they can offer.  You see a mistake on the ice, and the coaches are using them as coaching moments.  You see a missed chance, and the coaches are reviewing it.  Every player is going through this.  Frolik is being played 4th line to give a chance to evaluate others.  Janko sat to evaluate others or get Peluso in for other purposes.  Try Dube at center.  Play Ryan on the 4th line.  Try different looks on the PP.

 

10 hours ago, ABC923 said:

 

Next summer could be interesting.  We don’t have any big salaries expiring, so space will need to be made for Tkachuk.  Hopefully BT can unload Stone this season, and while I still think Frolik has game, he’s become expendable.  That gives you the space you need for Tkachuk.

 

Bennett is also up next summer.  If he spends most of the year playing 4th line minutes, he will probably be lucky to put up 10 goals and 20 points.  They will probably trade him for whatever they can get, maybe a 3rd rounder.  If he can’t reach those numbers, I could see him not getting a qualifying offer and walking away.  On the other hand, if he sticks to the third line most of the year we could see him turn in a typical Bennett season (15 goals, 30 point range), in which case we probably keep him.

 

Frolik is one of the few players I hang onto.  If cap is an issue, we need to take a hard look at the amount of money spent in defence.  $20m on top 4 guys and a 5/6.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd try offering Bennett to center hungry Montreal for Armia & 1 of their 2 picks (the other came from the BJs). Bergervin would likely jump @ the chance to trade for a player that was actually drafted as a center. Playing in Montreal we don't have to worry SB breaks out & comes back to haunt the Flames.

Contracts are close (Armia is 0.1 less) & both RFA after the season. Armia had 29 points in 79 vs Sam's 26 in 82 lasr season. Also better defensively IMO.

We have a lot of players that play RW but most also play other positions. A line of Tkachuk/Backlund/Armia would be capable in both a shutdown & scoring role.

Also, whichever 2nd rounder we get as icing on the cake replaces the 1 we traded as part of the Hamonic deal. Another bullet in the gun for trade purposes or to refill the pipeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'd try offering Bennett to center hungry Montreal for Armia & 1 of their 2 picks (the other came from the BJs). Bergervin would likely jump @ the chance to trade for a player that was actually drafted as a center. Playing in Montreal we don't have to worry SB breaks out & comes back to haunt the Flames.

Contracts are close (Armia is 0.1 less) & both RFA after the season. Armia had 29 points in 79 vs Sam's 26 in 82 lasr season. Also better defensively IMO.

We have a lot of players that play RW but most also play other positions. A line of Tkachuk/Backlund/Armia would be capable in both a shutdown & scoring role.

Also, whichever 2nd rounder we get as icing on the cake replaces the 1 we traded as part of the Hamonic deal. Another bullet in the gun for trade purposes or to refill the pipeline.

 

But Armia is so vanilla with a low ceiling. Worse than Ferland and lacks similar dynamics.  This is a trade for a second round pick.  Which is good but Bennett is more valuable than a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we choose to trade Bennett, shouldn't it be for a #1 goalie? I realize that we would have to sweeten the deal. Should that not be the goal?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...