Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
420since1974

GONE FISHING

6 posts in this topic

During the off-season, my favourite hobby is fishing.

It allows me to forget all about hockey (and nearly everything else in life) for the time that I'm on the water.

How many of you are also fishermen?

How old were you when you first began?

What is your favourite type/style of fishing?

Which species do you enjoy catching?

Where do you usually go fishing?

What's your favourite fishing story?

How big was the largest fish that you have ever landed?

Personally, I began fishing when I was just 6 years old. No rod or reel, just 10 feet of line with a single hook tipped with a small piece of a worm. I caught literally hundreds of small Yellow Perch and Lake Trout minnows before I ever owned a rod and reel.

These days, I normally fish with a 6' 6" medium weight rod, with a spinning reel loaded with 6 - 8 pound test line. We make our own spinners at a quarter of the retail cost.

For the last 40 years, I've really enjoyed fishing the Bow River, mainly for Trout (Rainbow, Brown, Cutthroat, Lake, and Bull), but I've also landed many Rocky Mountain Whitefish, Northern Pike, and Burbot out of this world class trout river.

I was employed as a professional fishing guide for 4 seasons during the early 1990s.

My main fishing partner currently owns an 18 foot ex-Alberta Fisheries fibreglass boat with a 70 HP jet motor. We mainly use it on the Bow River and some lakes near to Calgary (Ghost Lake, Crawling Valley Reservoir, McGregor Lake, and Badger Lake).

One day, I was fishing the 4 km of beaver ponds located on the upper section of the Highwood River. It was pouring rain, but I was getting a bite on nearly every cast. I caught and released over 100 Brook Trout (6" to 12") in just 4 hours.

The largest fish that I have ever landed was a Striped Marlin that I hooked into last November in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We released it without measuring or weighing.

20171127_090947 - Copy.jpg

15 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

During the off-season, my favourite hobby is fishing.

It allows me to forget all about hockey (and nearly everything else in life) for the time that I'm on the water.

How many of you are also fishermen?

How old were you when you first began?

What is your favourite type/style of fishing?

Which species do you enjoy catching?

Where do you usually go fishing?

What's your favourite fishing story?

How big was the largest fish that you have ever landed?

Personally, I began fishing when I was just 6 years old. No rod or reel, just 10 feet of line with a single hook tipped with a small piece of a worm. I caught literally hundreds of small Yellow Perch and Lake Trout minnows before I ever owned a rod and reel.

These days, I normally fish with a 6' 6" medium weight rod, with a spinning reel loaded with 6 - 8 pound test line. We make our own spinners at a quarter of the retail cost.

For the last 40 years, I've really enjoyed fishing the Bow River, mainly for Trout (Rainbow, Brown, Cutthroat, Lake, and Bull), but I've also landed many Rocky Mountain Whitefish, Northern Pike, and Burbot out of this world class trout river.

I was employed as a professional fishing guide for 4 seasons during the early 1990s.

My main fishing partner currently owns an 18 foot ex-Alberta Fisheries fibreglass boat with a 70 HP jet motor. We mainly use it on the Bow River and some lakes near to Calgary (Ghost Lake, Crawling Valley Reservoir, McGregor Lake, and Badger Lake).

One day, I was fishing the 4 km of beaver ponds located on the upper section of the Highwood River. It was pouring rain, but I was getting a bite on nearly every cast. I caught and released over 100 Brook Trout (6" to 12") in just 4 hours.

The largest fish that I have ever landed was a Striped Marlin that I hooked into last November in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We released it without measuring or weighing.

20171127_090947 - Copy.jpg

I love fishing.  I’ve probably caught more walleye than any other species.  Favorite spot is NW Ontario while fishing Lake of the Woods or the Winnipeg River.  Spending time in a boat with friends and family in Cabin Country is nothing short of spectacular.  When a 20+ lbs pike comes up and steals your catch at the surface, its hard to get PO’d, you just hope your buddies seen it as well.  Hard to beat a walleye fish fry. 

Really enjoy fishing lake trout too, never know what size you might haul up to the boat or through the augured ice hole.  Favourite spot is East Arm on Great Slave Lake, NWT.

Tossed a line in a stream near Paulatuk NWT, pulled in a Grayling one time.

Chinook Salmon fishing was some fun off the northern tip of Queen Charlotte Islands.  Langara treated us like Kings, but it wasn’t cheap.  Caught some Halibut as well and a Sea Lion too, bugger stole my fish.  A whale (forget what kind) rose out of no where some 40 ft off our bow, took a breath and dove again.  Startled the heck out of us but it was priceless.

Love fly fishing for Trout in AB streams and lakes.  I release them all.

Caught a nice Sailfish in the Mayan Riviera.  They look a lot like a marlin but with a much bigger dorsal fin, I released him.  Same location but different trip caught a small shark and a good sized grouper fish, released both.

Caught a nice Stripped Marlin in Cabo as well.  I have a similar pic as you and I managed to be wearing my Flames hat in the pic, LOL.  He measured 100 inches long and estimated to be 140 lbs.  It was the only bite we had all day.  Captain was so happy he never gave me a choice to release him.  Said it would feed his family for a long time, and I was ok with that.  The big old Sea Lion and the pterodactyls circling above the boat when returning to marina was surreal, felt like Jurassic Park while we tossed the remaining bait fish into Lions mouth or straight up to the sea birds.

Caught a nice Barracuda in the Bahamas, scary looking fish, keep fingers away, tossed him back.  Caught something else real big on same trip, it peeled 100's of feet off the real then gone, never seen it. 

Love fishing and I get out when I can.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Caught a nice Stripped Marlin in Cabo as well.  I have a similar pic as you and I managed to be wearing my Flames hat in the pic, LOL.  He measured 100 inches long and estimated to be 140 lbs.  It was the only bite we had all day.  Captain was so happy he never gave me a choice to release him.  Said it would feed his family for a long time, and I was ok with that.  The big old Sea Lion and the pterodactyls circling above the boat when returning to marina was surreal, felt like Jurassic Park while we tossed the remaining bait fish into Lions mouth or straight up to the sea birds.

Several sea lions have learned that trick in Cabo.

The locals call them all by the same name: Pancho.

Ya, those huge Frigate Birds kinda look like pterodactyls.

Fished since I was a kid. I prefer to spin cast. Open faced reel. Spent many summers on Shuswap Lake, Blind Bay area.

Best fishing were two times in my memory.

Once I took a summer job in geophysical mining camp on Baffin Island. The Charr run like salmon there and as long as they are not landlocked they grow huge(up to 30 lbs.) When we had off days we would helicopter to the spot they were running to(at). This would be a bite every cast. Fight for 15-30 minutes to bring it in and cast again. I remember the ones we kept we would hold up by gills and the tails were dragging on ground. The Charr are my favorite fish to eat. Think cross between salmon and trout with bit of walleye and you get the idea. They have to be the ones who access the ocean not the land locked ones.

Just a couple of summers ago I too a job in northern Saskatchewan, (Stony Rapids), This is on east end of Lake Athabaska on the river. Late in fall, the trout run to lake and it was similar to described above. Red & white Spoon and catch one every cast or every other cast. Every night as the sun set just after work or after supper.. Good times.

I remember catching Dolphin fish in Mexico and losing a Barracude that same day but trolling is not my favourite way to fish.

Good times.. Good fishing guys.

Walleye fishing on Chain lakes... Oh yeah.. Agree with Cheersman above Walleye fry hard to beat.

1 person likes this

DD, I jealous of you, I've always wanted to try fishing for Arctic Char, but I have yet to get the opportunity.

Walleye are definitely my favourite freshwater fish for eating.

Saltwater, I'd probably prefer to eat Dorado aka Mahi-mahi aka Common Dolphinfish.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0