Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cross16

Iginla Retires Update: Flames to retire #12

45 posts in this topic

They made the right call. I would rather Iginla end his career on a high note like he did then suffer through a bad season and playing on essentially 1 hip.

 

I think it would have been ugly and a poor way to end his Flames career. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They made the right call. I would rather Iginla end his career on a high note like he did then suffer through a bad season and playing on essentially 1 hip.

 

I think it would have been ugly and a poor way to end his Flames career. 

You are absolutely correct. Not surprisingly, evidence from athletes suggests that when they keep trying to avoid retirement and push on, they become quite unhappy with their lives once the inevitable happens. Iginla showed grace and intelligence by retiring when he did, and the way he went about it. The retirement ceremonies suggested to me that he had been thinking about this for some time, and that is great IMO. He knew when to take the next step in his life/career. We may well be talking about Iggy working in the Flames organization before too long. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2018 at 9:58 AM, cross16 said:

I think they should pick one or the other personally. I think if you run FAF and still retire jerseys you run the risk of marginalizing one or the other. Does FAF really much to the player if you want retire his jersey but you will others, what does that say about those players? Do we need to have a debate every time if this is a FAF player or a jersey retirement player? Just makes the process more trivial to me. 

 

My idea for honoring the past was as part of the new building have a Flames Hall of Fame and you can honor players there. Doesn't have to be a ceremony on the ice, which is silly IMO anyway, but it's a spot where you can honor, celebrate and remember the past and engage the new fan base.

 

I do think 2 should be up there and 12 is a given. I'm indifferent on 14 just because of his attitude towards the organization since he left. I think if you put Vernon up there you need to put Kipper because he has much better numbers and player here basically as long as Vernon did. Vernon probably shouldn't be up there though....

 

 

 

I hear you on making a decision. But if they do decide to go with "Forever a Flame" then they need to make an exception in this case. Iginla is one of the best to play for the Flames, especially for the duration that he did. He needs his number retired. 

 

I understand what the organization is trying to do. But teams with a longer history then our retire jerseys without issue. It sucks that lesser players across the NHL have the honour, but Iginla might not because Ken King is making up problems that don't seem to impact other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cross16 said:

They made the right call. I would rather Iginla end his career on a high note like he did then suffer through a bad season and playing on essentially 1 hip.

 

I think it would have been ugly and a poor way to end his Flames career. 

 

Agreed, the Jagr situation was painful as it was, if we did that with Iggy it would have just been heartbreaking.  Jarome was the star in his final game at the dome, in a game that had no impact on the Flames overall standings.  That was a good final image of him as a player, considering his career wasn't going to end with the cup that he deserved.

 

As far as the Jersey retirement vs. FAF I believe this thing was terribly managed after Lanny.  Personally I like what the Blue Jays have done with their honours, they have their Level of Excellence which is how they begun their recognitions, and didn't retire a number until Alomar became their first HOF player and would've probably held off for the same with Halladay if not for his accident (but did the right thing by retiring it when they did).  But they extend their Level of Excellence to include non-players who have been an integral part of their history.  

 

If I had my way the rafters of the Dome would look like this:

Retired

2- MacInnis - On the fence with this one, but still over 10 seasons as a Flame and Conne Smythe and numbers that won't be matched by a defensemen here anytime soon.

9- McDonald - No brainer

12- Iginla - holds almost every record so a definite no brainer.

14- Fleury - they haven't had anyone else wear it in almost 20 years so put it out of its misery already and give him a ceremony.  

34- Kiprusoff - best goalie in franchise history period, and at this rate his records will stand for a long time.

FAF

Nieuwendyk, Vernon, Roberts (maybe), Cliff Fletcher, Bearcat Murray, Peter Maher, Harley Hotchkiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not on the fence with regards to Al MacInnis.

IMO, he is the greatest defense-men to ever play for the Calgary Flames and was a large cog in the Stanley Cup Champion team.

The fact that he played 10 of his 23 seasons with St. Louis bothers me not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kehatch said:

 

I hear you on making a decision. But if they do decide to go with "Forever a Flame" then they need to make an exception in this case. Iginla is one of the best to play for the Flames, especially for the duration that he did. He needs his number retired. 

 

I understand what the organization is trying to do. But teams with a longer history then our retire jerseys without issue. It sucks that lesser players across the NHL have the honour, but Iginla might not because Ken King is making up problems that don't seem to impact other teams. 

 

I don't disagree at all and to be fair to King during the ceremony on Monday it sure sounded like the Flames will do just that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad we didn’t sign Iggy last year for a couple reasons,

 

-Jagr was the better player at the time

-If we signed Iggy and the results were the same as they were with Jagr, I think fans would be disappointed. With Jagr we could say “well he’s 45 and didn’t have a training camp, what do you expect”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Glad we didn’t sign Iggy last year for a couple reasons,

 

-Jagr was the better player at the time

-If we signed Iggy and the results were the same as they were with Jagr, I think fans would be disappointed. With Jagr we could say “well he’s 45 and didn’t have a training camp, what do you expect”.

Not sure how you could say Jagr was the better player given how it played out. Nobody wanted to see Iginla here in a diminished role I wouldn't think so I'm glad it didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Not sure how you could say Jagr was the better player given how it played out. Nobody wanted to see Iginla here in a diminished role I wouldn't think so I'm glad it didn't happen.

Jagr was coming off a 46 point season and Iggy was fresh off a 27 point season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Jagr was coming off a 46 point season and Iggy was fresh off a 27 point season

Yeah well, I didn't want either one here and points more than the other at that stage doesn't enhance either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kehatch said:

 

I hear you on making a decision. But if they do decide to go with "Forever a Flame" then they need to make an exception in this case. Iginla is one of the best to play for the Flames, especially for the duration that he did. He needs his number retired. 

 

I understand what the organization is trying to do. But teams with a longer history then our retire jerseys without issue. It sucks that lesser players across the NHL have the honour, but Iginla might not because Ken King is making up problems that don't seem to impact other teams. 

I don't see why it has to be 1 or the other. It's not like the Flames have gone overboard with either retired #s nor those named as Forever A Flame. Overlap is & should be possible.

For instance, the Flyers have retired 6 numbers (& nobody has worn #31 since Pelle Lindberg died) & have honored 25 players & executives in the Flyers HOF. All 6 players with the retired #s are also in that HOF.

 

On the other end of the spectrum the Coyotes have 7 numbers retired including the league wide #99. Of the other 6 only 3 ever played for the 'Yotes.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Haven't been around....is there actually a debate as to whether his Jersey is being retired?

 

Not sure what they're thinking with the whole number supply.   Players gonna be all tracked QR codes before you know it anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-07-26 at 4:27 PM, The_People1 said:

2, 12, and 14 should be on the rafters with 9.  

Its crap that they don’t retire the numbers- I agree big time with the above.

Is it true that Ownership doesnt want numbers retired?  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 89Again said:

Its crap that they don’t retire the numbers- I agree big time with the above.

Is it true that Ownership doesnt want numbers retired?  

If I remember correctly the Forever a Flame program was designed to honour players number rather than retire it, also believe they said only in special cases would that number be worn again. Then they go out and let Freddie, Shore and Bollig wear the honoured number 25, which I think is ridiculous. It’s one thing that if Johnny wanted 25, sure he’s a great player he can wear it, but replacement level players should not be allowed to wear an honoured number IMO.

 

Also 12 and 34 I really hope they just retire them. 14 should be too, Fleury deserves it but i see a reluctance from the Flames to do it 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If I remember correctly the Forever a Flame program was designed to honour players number rather than retire it, also believe they said only in special cases would that number be worn again. Then they go out and let Freddie, Shore and Bollig wear the honoured number 25, which I think is ridiculous. It’s one thing that if Johnny wanted 25, sure he’s a great player he can wear it, but replacement level players should not be allowed to wear an honoured number IMO.

 

Also 12 and 34 I really hope they just retire them. 14 should be too, Fleury deserves it but i see a reluctance from the Flames to do it 

I don't think they should retire numbers at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

and probably something more "official"

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

and probably something more "official"

 

 

 

So glad theydid the right thing and bypassed the forever a flame nonsense. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

 

So glad theydid the right thing and bypassed the forever a flame nonsense. 

 

Totals man.  It's the right thing to do.  12 needs to be in the rafters forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.