rocketdoctor

So this seasons whipping boy is....

119 posts in this topic

I do not condne the boards doing this but there appears to be at least one player who regualry is verbally abused about his play on the boards.

2017/18 it was Brouwer

2016/17 it was Wideman

2015/16 Russell/Wideman got similar treatment

2014/15 Probably Raymond or Stajan

From early doors it appears Stone is going to be this years go to guy for people to slag off, his every move moaned about and generally being this forums punch bag.  Personally I do not like to see it nor do I think he deserves it when we have not played one game of the regular season.

That aside are there any other candiadates for the message boards anger this coming season?

James Neal or Smith. Neal better have 3 more gears. If the preseason is any indication he is to slow for the top line. For this season I see our biggest weakness is going to be goal tending, with Smith leading the way.

I personally find this forum more interesting when I can come here and read good content. My least favorite thing is reading posts about certain "whipping boys". I actually stop reading them and move on to the next one that has better content. Complaining about the same player over and over is so grade school. Our GM is no idiot, decisions are made regarding every player at the appropriate time. 

1 person likes this

I'm going to predict the guy who's already half way there and say Brodie.  Guy took a lot of flack last season, but was shielded by Brouwer.

Runner up will be Bennett, because he won't score 25 goals.

Hamonic. 

Let me apologize to everybody in advance and thanks for tolerating my rants.  But Hamonic.  Let's drop the puck so we can go through the motions and get it over with.  Please feel free to ignore.  

I think its disappointing to slag any of these players, and making a stand-alone thread doing so is really bush league.  Perhaps people should look in the mirror before throwing stones at others..... What a society.

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I think its disappointing to slag any of these players, and making a stand-alone thread doing so is really bush league.  Perhaps people should look in the mirror before throwing stones at others..... What a society.

Did you say Stone?

Why is it that we talk about a new whipping boy?

Fans of every team see players they are less enthused about than others, but every player is criticized at some point.

Does that make the most frequently criticized player a whipping boy?

I think the problem lies with the GM for going out and getting a player and selling it to the fan base as "the solution for....", or brings "true leadership....".  And he usually pays a premium for it.

I see no problem in being critical of the team.  I am a fan.  Does it matter what a player makes?  Only when his value to the team is so low that his cap hit prevents the team from improving.  Blame the GM.  Criticize the player for what he does, not what he makes.  

To me, Wideman and Brouwer were players that didn't work out for what they did or didn't do.  If Wideman isn't scoring, he is a hindrance to the team.  If Brouwer can't score on the PP, why is he playing so much 5v5 where his play doesn't shine.

As I said elsewhere, I not going to make a big deal about who gets the final roster spots.  I'm not going to single out a player because I don't like them.  I will focus on the role they have and whether they are doing that well enough.  To a certain extent, I think we all do that, but the disagreements about opinions makes it look like a player is a whipping boy.  

lazar.. is he even in camp??? Jankowski.. also invisible.. Bennett.. . Stone.. Hathaway.. any goalie.. Kulak.Brodie.. hamonic. we sure like to criticize don't we??

The problem with bringing in new players is that some aren't going to produce the same way they did last season, due to reduced ice time.

With that said, I think frolik is a front runner due to his reduced roll, and will eventually become the whipping boy as a result of his cap hit. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I personally find this forum more interesting when I can come here and read good content. My least favorite thing is reading posts about certain "whipping boys". I actually stop reading them and move on to the next one that has better content. Complaining about the same player over and over is so grade school. Our GM is no idiot, decisions are made regarding every player at the appropriate time. 

Dedication to sports teams is irrational and emotional. When I support the Flames and dislike the Oilers, it is not because my tribe believes in freedom and security while the Oilers stand for tyranny and authoritarianism. Today, fans even support teams from cities that they have never visited. So, it is not surprising if an underperforming player receives significant criticism at times.

I appreciate critical analysis of sports. I was enlightened last year when someone pointed out that we performed quite poorly when we had last change compared to when we did not. That said a lot about coaching in my opinion.

What I dislike are the "Jim Rome posts". You know, attempts to be witty, aggressive, and funny. They are uncommon here thank goodness.

9 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Dedication to sports teams is irrational and emotional. When I support the Flames and dislike the Oilers, it is not because my tribe believes in freedom and security while the Oilers stand for tyranny and authoritarianism. Today, fans even support teams from cities that they have never visited. So, it is not surprising if an underperforming player receives significant criticism at times.

I appreciate critical analysis of sports. I was enlightened last year when someone pointed out that we performed quite poorly when we had last change compared to when we did not. That said a lot about coaching in my opinion.

What I dislike are the "Jim Rome posts". You know, attempts to be witty, aggressive, and funny. They are uncommon here thank goodness.

When you come from a small town with no hockey team, you gotta go with feel. 

Just because i am in BC doesn’t mean I should like the Canucks. It is a reason to like them for a lot of people though. 

I liked the Island in the 80’s but I was too young to really set them up as my team. Then I tried the oilers for one game. The Canucks beat them in the 80s in a regular season game that I went to so I said nope! 

Then i was a free agent until 89. Living in Prince Rupert, i chose Calgary over Vancouver as of game 1 of the playoffs. It was me against most of my kid community and family... they went all the way and I’ve loved them since. 

I dont know what kept me a fan after that? Horrible deals and a downward spiral after that. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Actually I agree with you even though I made the thread.

Partly the purpose of starting the thread was to highlight the way some players are constantly shat on by the board and this season it has started before we even play the first game.

1 person likes this

If Prout or Peluso see ice time, heck if they even make the roster out of camp, they will be the easy targets for whipping boy(s). 

In the past I have been critical of Brouwer and Wideman, but neither played like guys who giving it their all night in and night out. I never wanted Wideman on this team, he always seemed like a lazy player to me. I had higher expectations for Brouwer and he didn't even come close to reaching those. He often played like a guy who just won the UFA lottery and didn't need to work anymore.

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Just because i am in BC doesn’t mean I should like the Canucks. It is a reason to like them for a lot of people though. 

I liked the Island in the 80’s but I was too young to really set them up as my team. Then I tried the oilers for one game. The Canucks beat them in the 80s in a regular season game that I went to so I said nope! 

Then i was a free agent until 89. Living in Prince Rupert, i chose Calgary over Vancouver as of game 1 of the playoffs. It was me against most of my kid community and family... they went all the way and I’ve loved them since. 

I dont know what kept me a fan after that? Horrible deals and a downward spiral after that. 

When I was a kid, before the Flames had moved to Calgary, I really liked the Islanders. Bossy was the man. I still remember when he would wind up his stick and you could "feel" that it was going in. 

I like making fun of players at times as long as it is in jest. I still like Brouwer and Wideman jokes. I don't like when people lose sight of the fact that it is just a game and actually get stupid and serious and burn their city down. The Sun article telling him to get out of town was irritating. Kind of Jim Romeish.

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

When I was a kid, before the Flames had moved to Calgary, I really liked the Islanders. Bossy was the man. I still remember when he would wind up his stick and you could "feel" that it was going in. 

I like making fun of players at times as long as it is in jest. I still like Brouwer and Wideman jokes. I don't like when people lose sight of the fact that it is just a game and actually get stupid and serious and burn their city down. The Sun article telling him to get out of town was irritating. Kind of Jim Romeish.

It's funny how people pick a team.  I grew up in NS, during the days of the original six and the early expansion.

You had a choice.  Toronto or Montreal.  Boston had a bigger social connection to NS than either of those cities, but I only like Bobby Orr as a player, then Neely.

So, I was a MTL fan. 

Became a bit of a fan of Messier during the start of the Oilers run, but eventually became a CGY fan in around 86.  Since then, just a Flames fan.  Even during the Young Guns era.  Yikes, that was a hard time to be a fan.

Moved out here about 9 years ago.  Actually get to see the Flames play on TV, more than 4 times per year.  Occasional game in person.  Refuse to go see an Oiler game.

52 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Prout or Peluso see ice time, heck if they even make the roster out of camp, they will be the easy targets for whipping boy(s). 

I don't get why role players are whipping boys.  Prout or Peluso aren't expected to do much other than punch faces. Hathaway is here to hit and bring energy.  

They don't score, make beautiful passes, and should not be expected to.  Right? 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

growing up in the maritimes in the 6 team era.. it was crucial to identify yourself with a team that reflected your individuality.. My dad

. for God knows whatever reason.. was a Leafs fan.. and that damn team turned him off of all sports!! My brother was one years younger and was a habs fan.. which meant nope.. I couldn't ever like that team.. and being from Moncton.. I was raised to hate the french.. so.. I picked the Bruins.. because my grandma was a Boston fan and from there.. I became a Red Sox and Celtics and Patriots fan and still am to this day.. Some of my fondest memories of growing up an the sixties were sitting on the chesterfield on a Saturday night watching HNIC when the Habs and Bruins were playing and beating the living bejesus outta my brother every time we scored.. He never once beat me up cause.. well we were the Big Bad Bruins and he was a friggin Habs fan

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's funny how people pick a team.  I grew up in NS, during the days of the original six and the early expansion.

You had a choice.  Toronto or Montreal.  Boston had a bigger social connection to NS than either of those cities, but I only like Bobby Orr as a player, then Neely.

So, I was a MTL fan. 

Became a bit of a fan of Messier during the start of the Oilers run, but eventually became a CGY fan in around 86.  Since then, just a Flames fan.  Even during the Young Guns era.  Yikes, that was a hard time to be a fan.

Moved out here about 9 years ago.  Actually get to see the Flames play on TV, more than 4 times per year.  Occasional game in person.  Refuse to go see an Oiler game.

I grew up in Northern Ontario. I am not sure why I liked the Islanders. I guess it was because everyone cheered for the Leafs, and they really sucked. Their owner was a jerk too. I guess they just got a lot of air time given they were an expansion team and had a relatively decent start. When we moved to Alberta, I began cheering for the Flames when they left Atlanta. I still liked the NYI because they were duking it out with the Oilers.

The Flames made it easy to like them. Living a few hours from Calgary, it was great when the company my folks worked for, and the Flames, paid for our Bantam team (also named the Flames btw) to travel to Calgary, paid for accommodations, and offered free tix to a game. The players were also available to sign sticks etc. That was an enjoyable event. Amazing that I can remember that game decades later.

I don't think that there will be a whipping boy this year. Treliving has pretty much eliminated the terrible contracts, and all of the players will live up to expectations. While we will wish for better performances, there will be nobody to dump on. Hopefully, I can continue to laugh at Gulutzan's strategies. I can only imagine the dumb look on Lucic's face as GG explains how to play. 

The other guy I think could feel the heat from the masses is Bill Peters. If this team gets off to a slow start, all of the "Peters is just a Gulutzan clone" posters will come back.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Can't stand Rome and all his animated characters on his show. I heard my last "YEAHHHH" that he does constantly a while ago.