rocketdoctor

So this seasons whipping boy is....

119 posts in this topic

The similar thing I see is struggles in nets.

PITTS is worse than the Flames in high danger chances per game.

Yet, they manage to win games.

We went from a team with 6 vets every night to 3 vets and one guy at the age of 21.

Most D-men do not eound out their game till around 25.

Two years of a crappy coach.

The beginning of a year with a better coach with a system they are still grappling with.

Wasted TC because of China.

Probably sounds like excuses.  I give them about another 10 games before they look like a structured team.

Until then, they look like they are running around every other game.

I do chalk some of it up to road games.

That and teams actually playing well against us.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The similar thing I see is struggles in nets.

PITTS is worse than the Flames in high danger chances per game.

Yet, they manage to win games.

We went from a team with 6 vets every night to 3 vets and one guy at the age of 21.

Most D-men do not eound out their game till around 25.

Two years of a crappy coach.

The beginning of a year with a better coach with a system they are still grappling with.

Wasted TC because of China.

Probably sounds like excuses.  I give them about another 10 games before they look like a structured team.

Until then, they look like they are running around every other game.

I do chalk some of it up to road games.

That and teams actually playing well against us.

They just said yesterday that the Flames are the worst in the league per game. It is still very troubling. 

Our offence is too streaky to keep that up.

59 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

They just said yesterday that the Flames are the worst in the league per game. It is still very troubling. 

Our offence is too streaky to keep that up.

I read earleir that PITTS was worse, but a smidge.

Anyway, it matters if your goalie is averaging less than .900.

The onlty good thing is having only ro games where we just scored 2 goals.

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Monahan doesn't have the speed other top C's have but you won't find a more fundamentally sound player. He makes his talents work but I really think they need to get Neal with these two for a whole bunch of reasons. Neal can teach these two some tricks but mostly he knows how to be aggressive along the boards.

Monahan is far from a solid, fundamentally sound player outside of his mediocre speed.  

8 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Monahan is far from a solid, fundamentally sound player outside of his mediocre speed.  

And Backlund is far from a good offensive player.

Maybe a slow start from both players, but I hate watching Backlund on offense with the puck.

Check that.  I hate watching Backlund shooting the puck or trying to overpass the puck.

AT least you can teach defensive play.  You can;t teach offense to a 30 year old.

10 hours ago, cccsberg said:

You mad bro

18 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Monahan doesn't have the speed other top C's have but you won't find a more fundamentally sound player. He makes his talents work but I really think they need to get Neal with these two for a whole bunch of reasons. Neal can teach these two some tricks but mostly he knows how to be aggressive along the boards.

I'm starting to believe this is the right move.  Neal is generating chances.  Him and Bennett may be looking better together, but I still see something missing in that pair.

Neither is that good a passer.  At least it looks that way to me.  I think BP is thinking too linear.  Faceoff success leads to possession.  Fine, but doing something more than one pass, one shot is more important.  The 3M looks good at times because they generate zone time.  Perhaps we can use Lindholm there to get passes to Tkachuk, since Backlund seems incapable of hitting twine.  3rd line of Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik and 4th of Dube-Janko-Ryan.

At the start of the season we all had about 10 different combinations of lines.  Now it seems like we are trying to find one that works longer than one game.  I don;t blame BP for mising things up in the game.  He sees the struggles and is trying to get players away from the other team.  Backlund started 100% of his shifts in the O-zone.  How did that work out?    

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm starting to believe this is the right move.  Neal is generating chances.  Him and Bennett may be looking better together, but I still see something missing in that pair.

Neither is that good a passer.  At least it looks that way to me.  I think BP is thinking too linear.  Faceoff success leads to possession.  Fine, but doing something more than one pass, one shot is more important.  The 3M looks good at times because they generate zone time.  Perhaps we can use Lindholm there to get passes to Tkachuk, since Backlund seems incapable of hitting twine.  3rd line of Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik and 4th of Dube-Janko-Ryan.

At the start of the season we all had about 10 different combinations of lines.  Now it seems like we are trying to find one that works longer than one game.  I don;t blame BP for mising things up in the game.  He sees the struggles and is trying to get players away from the other team.  Backlund started 100% of his shifts in the O-zone.  How did that work out?    

We have to quit thinking Tkachuk is going to make Backlund and Frolik anything more than they already are. We need another scoring line and it should take a genius to see that Bennett has come to play this season. Move him back to C between Tkachuk and Lindholm, all these guys know how to score and play defense. We have the talent depth to build 3rd and 4th lines that with defend and provide secondary scoring.

On defense it has become obvious that none of Brodie, Hamonic or Stone are superstars but I agree that having a vet with each of Andersson, Hanifin and Valimaki is the way to proceed.

LOL no laughing matter but if Smith doesn't get his head on right we are sunk. Reflection time for everyone.

1 person likes this

So far the player that deserves to wear the Whipping Boy moniker the most for my money would be Monahan. He needs to be so much better in all zones. If he comes out with another sub par effort in the next game, I would push him down to the 3rd line. His play so far can best be described as disinterested. If wants to be a leader on this team he needs to be much better.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So far the player that deserves to wear the Whipping Boy moniker the most for my money would be Monahan. He needs to be so much better in all zones. If he comes out with another sub par effort in the next game, I would push him down to the 3rd line. His play so far can best be described as disinterested. If wants to be a leader on this team he needs to be much better.

Maybe he is still recovering from all the injuries?

14 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Maybe he is still recovering from all the injuries?

Monahan does more out there than he gets credit for and his scoring has always come in bunches.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, JTech780 said:

Hanifin has had his struggles no doubt but we are talking about a 21 year old defenseman here, people forget that he is younger than Andersson and only a year older than Valimaki. 

Brodie doesn't have the same excuse. For me I have never been a huge fan of Brodie, IMO he only has average hockey IQ at best. He skates the puck out of trouble very well, but everything else he does is pretty average. I realize the defense as whole is a work in progress, but with Brodie his mistakes seem to end in the back of the net. Basically I see Brodie as Jake Gardiner without the offense. 

Brodie is a good skater. In the defensive zone he tends to freelance and not play in his position, he is also very soft on the puck and puck carrier. In the offensive zone he doesn't shoot and when he does he isn't effective at getting his shot through and on net, he also is guilty of forcing passes into places where there is no play.

I have been a big Brodie supporter. Multiple send downs and he finally worked his way up.

His personal life problems with disease and family and the demotion from top pairing has really hurt Brodie. It is why most give him a bit of slack... however

He has to start to bring it again. He has to find his form again or he shouldn't be on top pairing. His best attributes were fast skating and very active stick... could recover and deflect dangerous situations. He does not use his skating to recover as much and his active stick is almost non existent. I'll continue to support him as we have new coaches and new system but this group should be fine tuned by Christmas..

Lets hope Brodie can find the grove again or we may be in trouble... same goes for goaltending..

It seems every member of the Flames qualifies for the thread title.

I mean both those that lace on the blades & management.

1 person likes this

Originally the Carolina Hurricanes retweeted this with a nice shot at the Flames by referencing finding this at the museum..

Maybe the problem wasn't that Hamilton was disinterested...but rather maybe the Flames dressing room has a "No Fun" atmosphere... The Hurricanes are playing amazing this year and they're having fun doing it.  With all their after game shenanigans that looks super fun, albeit "less" professional, who cares as long as it brings the players to play!  Maybe Bill Peters wasn't the right coach for the Hurricanes and maybe he isn't the right coach for the Flames either.  Too early to tell I know...

11 minutes ago, Kiweh said:

Originally the Carolina Hurricanes retweeted this with a nice shot at the Flames by referencing finding this at the museum..

Maybe the problem wasn't that Hamilton was disinterested...but rather maybe the Flames dressing room has a "No Fun" atmosphere... The Hurricanes are playing amazing this year and they're having fun doing it.  With all their after game shenanigans that looks super fun, albeit "less" professional, who cares as long as it brings the players to play!  Maybe Bill Peters wasn't the right coach for the Hurricanes and maybe he isn't the right coach for the Flames either.  Too early to tell I know...

Sometimes I think the Hamilton trade was more of a personality trade than anything. Him and Hanifin are night and day personalities. Dougie is the better playwe but by all accounts his personality didn’t fit here. He will likely thrive in a low pressure market like Carolina 

15 hours ago, Kiweh said:

Douggieeeeee is presently 61st in scoring....

b940b5dd1ff77031b37c89c6e9a03509.png

he is welcome to joke and kid around, just not here..  Brodie and Stone have 4 points too...

Gio is 9th.... 

b1e447d8ce5c06a6ce74604c67e04b7e.png

Some say he (Hamilton) was the best player in that trade but so far we won that trade..

47 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Douggieeeeee is presently 61st in scoring....

b940b5dd1ff77031b37c89c6e9a03509.png

he is welcome to joke and kid around, just not here..  Brodie and Stone have 4 points too...

Gio is 9th.... 

b1e447d8ce5c06a6ce74604c67e04b7e.png

Some say he (Hamilton) was the best player in that trade but so far we won that trade..

I haven;t watched Dougie play much since the trade.  I for one was never a big fan of his defensive play, but that's just me.  Takes too many penalties because he gets exposed.  Last two seasons he took 64 PIM.  Love his offence, but a lot of that came on the PP.  

Unlike some here, I like the potential for Hanifin.  Puck mover.  Hits.  Some gaps in his consistency, but is on his way.  Ferland is playing really well, but he'll never be a p/gp player over a season.  I hope he does well, but long term we have the more versatile player in Lindholm.  Better defensively, better passer, better on PK.  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I haven;t watched Dougie play much since the trade.  I for one was never a big fan of his defensive play, but that's just me.  Takes too many penalties because he gets exposed.  Last two seasons he took 64 PIM.  Love his offence, but a lot of that came on the PP.  

Unlike some here, I like the potential for Hanifin.  Puck mover.  Hits.  Some gaps in his consistency, but is on his way.  Ferland is playing really well, but he'll never be a p/gp player over a season.  I hope he does well, but long term we have the more versatile player in Lindholm.  Better defensively, better passer, better on PK.  

I was happy with the trade as well.  I too like Hanifan and Lindholm and believe they are a much better fit for the team.  I'm just wondering what really is the "atmosphere" like in the dressing room and how the players are with one another and if Hamilton was really "different" than the others like as it was rumoured.  I guess we'll never know.  Watching the documentary on the Flames trip to China it seems that the players mesh pretty well.  Hopefully the team can get it together sooner rather than later.

Dressing room "problems" get magnified when you don't win. win and you probably won't hear anything.