Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JTech780

Mark Giordano

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Lindholm and Rittich deserve a ton of credit too. Lindholm is some kinda player spreading his wings right now. Keeping the 1st line honest at D has been an overwhelming success due to him.

It's why Neal will never get that job.

The Brodano reuniting, Hamonic, Andersson have been excellent. Good showing from Valimaki prior to the injury, Kyl getting a chance to find out what it takes.

A ton of reasons, but the best thing to me, we're not done getting better. Just need to find our peak in time for playoffs.

Agree 100% we haven't seen the best from this group yet. Lots of good things happening around the ice and all I see needed is BP settling in on the best possible line formations after the top line. Here is what I would like to see happen after the break. (sorry a bit off the topic)

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik

Bennett, Ryan, Neal

Quine, Jankowski, Hathaway

DEFENSE
Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson  (Valimaki if 100% Kylington if not)

GOALIES

Rittich, Smith  ( I believe these two are creating a good support bond together)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Gio's contract continue to be a value for 3 more years?

I know most thought the value would disintegrate eventually, but here he is being a Norris candidate, probable winner, in year 3.

Does he retire with us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Will Gio's contract continue to be a value for 3 more years?

I know most thought the value would disintegrate eventually, but here he is being a Norris candidate, probable winner, in year 3.

Does he retire with us?

 

How many more years do we expect him to play at this level? I hope we can get two more seasons. Then the last year of the deal we expect Hanifin or Valamaki to take over his spot and he play 2nd pair?

 

i dunno 

 

i think we we just gotta enjoy him while he’s at this level. It’s a treat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

How many more years do we expect him to play at this level? I hope we can get two more seasons. Then the last year of the deal we expect Hanifin or Valamaki to take over his spot and he play 2nd pair?

 

i dunno 

 

i think we we just gotta enjoy him while he’s at this level. It’s a treat!

 

I think that's the wrong question. "This level" is a Norris-candidate season. If Gio never again plays as well as he has this year, that won't shock me.

 

I think the right question is whether he'll still be a top 4 defenceman in the league. Whether he'll still be a respected leader on the team and whether he'll play up to his contract value. Even in the final year, I still expect him to contribute enough to make his cap hit tolerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Will Gio's contract continue to be a value for 3 more years?

I know most thought the value would disintegrate eventually, but here he is being a Norris candidate, probable winner, in year 3.

Does he retire with us?

 

We almost picked Curtis Glencross as our captain instead... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

We almost picked Curtis Glencross as our captain instead... 

Do I have this straight?

We essentially traded Glencross for Kylington? We got a 2nd and 3rd, but seems we bundled the picks to ARI?

Do I have that straight? What a tangled web. lol

Found Andersson for Baertschi along the way though, that was a feel good moment. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Do I have this straight?

We essentially traded Glencross for Kylington? We got a 2nd and 3rd, but seems we bundled the picks to ARI?

Do I have that straight? What a tangled web. lol

Found Andersson for Baertschi along the way though, that was a feel good moment. lol

 

I don't recall but that reminded me of this from last week,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Will Gio's contract continue to be a value for 3 more years?

I know most thought the value would disintegrate eventually, but here he is being a Norris candidate, probable winner, in year 3.

Does he retire with us?

I would say right now Giordano retires a Flame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

I don't recall but that reminded me of this from last week,

 

 

Didn't quite bring us to Eberle for free. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Do I have this straight?

We essentially traded Glencross for Kylington? We got a 2nd and 3rd, but seems we bundled the picks to ARI?

Do I have that straight? What a tangled web. lol

Found Andersson for Baertschi along the way though, that was a feel good moment. lol

 

Bit more complex. 

 

Glencross netted a 2015 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder. The 2nd rounder was used in the Hamilton trade and the 3rd was packaged with Flames originla 3rd to move up and get Kylington.

 

So Glencross would branch off to the Hamilton trade tree as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gio has Flames Emeritus/Full Tenure status.  No trades ever... unless he requests it... and then only as a temporary thing on the provision that he comes back to the organization and stays forever in whatever capacity is most comfortable for him. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norris !

 

Very proud of Gio, darn near won it unanimously! It’s been such a treat to watch him turn into the player and captain he is now over the years. He’s still got lots left in the tank, we’re lucky fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First congratulations GIO!  

 

definitely the most deserved candidate  for the Noris!

 

and with that, in my opinion, now is the prime time to trade Gio, send him to another contender and bag as much as you can for him, the Norris winner must be worth far more then what Karlsson and Truba hauls are

 

This is where the flames messed up with Iggy, and we are fortunate to have a make up chance now trade now his value will never ever be higher!

 

i figure at least a 1st rounder, blue chip prospect and an above average roster player for the best D-man in the entire NHL would be the least you could expect back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

First congratulations GIO!  

 

definitely the most deserved candidate  for the Noris!

 

and with that, in my opinion, now is the prime time to trade Gio, send him to another contender and bag as much as you can for him, the Norris winner must be worth far more then what Karlsson and Truba hauls are

 

This is where the flames messed up with Iggy, and we are fortunate to have a make up chance now trade now his value will never ever be higher!

 

i figure at least a 1st rounder, blue chip prospect and an above average roster player for the best D-man in the entire NHL would be the least you could expect back 

 

Such cold hearted... 

 

I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

First congratulations GIO!  

 

definitely the most deserved candidate  for the Noris!

 

and with that, in my opinion, now is the prime time to trade Gio, send him to another contender and bag as much as you can for him, the Norris winner must be worth far more then what Karlsson and Truba hauls are

 

This is where the flames messed up with Iggy, and we are fortunate to have a make up chance now trade now his value will never ever be higher!

 

i figure at least a 1st rounder, blue chip prospect and an above average roster player for the best D-man in the entire NHL would be the least you could expect back 

Sounds great, trade him to a SC contender something like we are trying to accomplish ourselves. Oh yeah makes total sense. NOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 1:34 PM, MP5029 said:

First congratulations GIO!  

 

definitely the most deserved candidate  for the Noris!

 

and with that, in my opinion, now is the prime time to trade Gio, send him to another contender and bag as much as you can for him, the Norris winner must be worth far more then what Karlsson and Truba hauls are

 

This is where the flames messed up with Iggy, and we are fortunate to have a make up chance now trade now his value will never ever be higher!

 

i figure at least a 1st rounder, blue chip prospect and an above average roster player for the best D-man in the entire NHL would be the least you could expect back 

It would make some sense to trade him now...but u don’t just trade the heart and soul of your team for some maybe prospects and a 4-5 Dman. Gio ain’t going nowhere, he’s the DNA of what the Flames strive to be....on and off ice. How many Mohammad Ali AND Vezina winners has the NHL had in its lifetime? He’s officially a one of a kind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, rickross said:

It would make some sense to trade him now...but u don’t just trade the heart and soul of your team for some maybe prospects and a 4-5 Dman. Gio ain’t going nowhere, he’s the DNA of what the Flames strive to be....on and off ice. How many Mohammad Ali AND Vezina winners has the NHL had in its lifetime? He’s officially a one of a kind. 

 

I completely disagree,

 

But, you will get your way.  Not for any of those reasons above,

 

But for ticket sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

I completely disagree,

 

But, you will get your way.  Not for any of those reasons above,

 

But for ticket sales.

 

The reasons are imbedded in the Flames MO.

The team likes heart and soul.

Gio is a community figure.

Nice guy.

 

Ticket sales depend on flash.

JH has flash and sells tickets.

So, I disagree that ticket sales is the reason why we keep him.

We let McInnis go.

Gilmour was traded, so was Newy.

These guys have gone on to Hall of Fame type careers.

Yet we traded or let them walk while they still had amazing careers left.

 

Big Buff, Chara, Keith, Doubty, Weber....

Some of these guys have won the big prize with their teams.

Most are aging, so their value is diminishing.

Is Gio's value to the team greater than the parts you get in return?

We haven't made it past the 1st round in awhile, but is Gio the piece holding us back?

In other words, are we missing something that could be brought in now, plus someone to replace him?

 

His value is super high right now, but we aren't getting a Marner + O'Reilly back in a trade.

No Laine + Morrissey.

Karlsson brought back an underwhelming return.

One could argue he was worth more than Gio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let me get this straight. Because Gio won a Norris trophy this year, some of us believe an NHL GM would be willing to give us incredible value in a trade for him, all the while ignoring the very thing we’re concerned about with Gio (age)? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

So let me get this straight. Because Gio won a Norris trophy this year, some of us believe an NHL GM would be willing to give us incredible value in a trade for him, all the while ignoring the very thing we’re concerned about with Gio (age)? 

 

 

I'm very curious as to what people would expect to get from him.  Can't think of many other defensemen traded at that age at that ability, I guess Pronger was close when he went to the Flyers, that return was Lupul, Sbisa and 2 firsts.  Lupul was a disaster as a Duck and flipped along with Gardiner for Beauchemin.  Sbisa was a piece for Kesler who is now broken.  The draft picks wound up being a Palmeiri who was then traded for what now appears to be nothing, and Etem who was basically nothing.  The trade didn't destroy Anaheim but 10 years ago looked like a solid haul for a 35 yr old defence man.  I would add that Pronger had a much greater resume for not only putting up numbers but winning a cup as well.  Gio doesn't have that, and I agree with you that most GM's are wary of that age and won't sacrifice as much of their future as Flames fans want to believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

So let me get this straight. Because Gio won a Norris trophy this year, some of us believe an NHL GM would be willing to give us incredible value in a trade for him, all the while ignoring the very thing we’re concerned about with Gio (age)? 

 

 

Correct.  Yes we would get a huge return after this season.   Nobody thinks he's going to the AHL next year.  Leave it much longer and that changes.  His value is super high right now, end of discussion.

 

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

The reasons are imbedded in the Flames MO.

The team likes heart and soul.

Gio is a community figure.

Nice guy.

 

Ticket sales depend on flash.

JH has flash and sells tickets.

So, I disagree that ticket sales is the reason why we keep him.

We let McInnis go.

 

That McInnis deal was not the best but to be completely honest never did anything remarkable at all after we let him go, and he was 31, I believe, so it caused a bit of a stir.  Gio is well past that mark.    Phil was a weak return, but a somewhat forced one.  That's not what we're talking bout here.  Nobody's talking about trading Gio for a modern Phil. At least I hope not.  A couple first rounders or top prospects and we're talking.  Just because I'm willing to trade him doesn't mean I'm willing to do a bad deal.

 

Quote

Gilmour was traded, so was Newy.

These guys have gone on to Hall of Fame type careers.

Yet we traded or let them walk while they still had amazing careers left.

 

The Newy trade is the PERFECT example of a good trade.  Things weren't working out here.   Why?  I don't know.  Possibly McInnis.

We got Iginla and IMHO both teams won that trade.  We just Weren't headed for a cup.  We really weren't.  With current lineup.   But at least Iginla got us within a goal of it.

 

But again, not much relevance here.  Gio is Well past that age.

 

Gilmour for Leeman was aweful, and we all knew it the moment it happened.    Because instead of trading for the future we traded baggage and lost bad.    This is an example of why you trade for prospects..    But again, Gio is Well past the age of this comparable.

 

Quote

 

Big Buff, Chara, Keith, Doubty, Weber....

Some of these guys have won the big prize with their teams.

Most are aging, so their value is diminishing.

Is Gio's value to the team greater than the parts you get in return?

We haven't made it past the 1st round in awhile, but is Gio the piece holding us back?

In other words, are we missing something that could be brought in now, plus someone to replace him?

 

His value is super high right now, but we aren't getting a Marner + O'Reilly back in a trade.

No Laine + Morrissey.

Karlsson brought back an underwhelming return.

One could argue he was worth more than Gio.

 

Yes you can get that imho.  If you couldn't I would say it's a bad deal.   But maybe you're not getting Today's Laine.   Maybe you have to either trade for the Next Laine, or you need to do a package deal.

 

Iginla was a nobody when we acquired him.   Most in Calgary had never heard of him.   By most, I mean basically all of us.

 

One thing I will say is we have a great scouting system here right now, outside of goalies.     Yeah, I'm confident we could pull off another Iginla deal.  Which means, a prospect very few of us have heard of with Laine potential.

 

Or, got get Laine in a package deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Iginla was a nobody when we acquired him.   Most in Calgary had never heard of him.   By most, I mean basically all of us.

 

He wasn't a nobody anybody who had followed junior or the draft previously knew who he was.  The outrage with that trade was that we were starting to decline and traded away a superstar for 1 prospect and a depth centre.    Fans were outraged more because he wasn't traded for a similar player, the reality was the fanbase didn't understand the changing in economics and with that made the Flames not only a small market team, but a Canadian small market team, and our days of acquiring proven high calibre players were over for the time being.  It's not a case of him being unknown its the fact we were not used to trading all-stars for junior players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sak22 said:

He wasn't a nobody anybody who had followed junior or the draft previously knew who he was.  The outrage with that trade was that we were starting to decline and traded away a superstar for 1 prospect and a depth centre.    Fans were outraged more because he wasn't traded for a similar player, the reality was the fanbase didn't understand the changing in economics and with that made the Flames not only a small market team, but a Canadian small market team, and our days of acquiring proven high calibre players were over for the time being.  It's not a case of him being unknown its the fact we were not used to trading all-stars for junior players.

  

99% of fans did not do this then.

 

Times have improved.   Now only 98.5% of fans don't do this.

 

Would someone like Dylan Cozens or a Barrett Hayton make the conversation interesting?   To a few of us on here, yes. 

 

To most, not at all.       People would lose their minds.

 

But if it was Laine, it would be the trade of the century.  Even though Laine has regressed and the above might actually have brighter futures.

 

Maybe you're right and it was entirely driven by economics, but acquiring Iginla was a damned good move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...