Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
travel_dude

Flames Positivity

103 posts in this topic

Despite losing 3 of 4, I think a big positive is that since the Pittsburgh loss there has been a great deal of consistency to the Flames game. The floor for how they can play has been raised and you are not seeing those wild swings game, to game and shift to shift that you were seeing early in the season. They've also played well defensively as since that Pens game they've ony given up double digit high danger chances once (to SJ where I think fatigue played a factor) and that's allowed them to keep games close (all loses by 1 goal as SJ was an EN goal). 

Still things to fix but overall as they near the quarter mark of the season I think it's been pretty successful. I think when you look at burying chances, scoring consistency, PP and goal tending there are multiple ways they can improve into the next quarter but finding a consistent game in the first quarter when you have a new coach and big roster turnovers is IMO priority 1. I think it's a big positive the Flames appear to have found it. 

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We're good at 3rd period desperado.:)

It's important to clean up the goal differential in the 1st and 2nd.  

But, you absolutely need to score in the 3rd period.

That's how you come back, take a lead, keep a lead and win games.

I'm glad they got the goahead goal early enough.  My nerves are getting frayed by the Desperado.

TJ Brodie tied for the league lead in plus minus +16!!  Credit where credit is due.

4 people like this

12 minutes ago, 89Again said:

TJ Brodie tied for the league lead in plus minus +16!!  Credit where credit is due.

And Gio is on pace for 75 points.  Not likely to get there, but he will probably be around his career best (56 points in 2015-2016), assuming he can stay healthy.  Those two guys just seem to bring out the best in each other.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, conundrumed said:

We're good at 3rd period desperado.:)

In recent games we are scoring in the 1st and 2nd periods.

Nice to see a balanced game where we score a couple, then a couple more, then a couple more.

If they can keep this up for 82 games (and I hope they do), I will gladly come on here, admit I was wrong about this season, and be their loudest fan in the post-season.  We have seen a lot of positives in these first 25 games and the players have much to be proud of right now.  Well done.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

If they can keep this up for 82 games (and I hope they do), I will gladly come on here, admit I was wrong about this season, and be their loudest fan in the post-season.  We have seen a lot of positives in these first 25 games and the players have much to be proud of right now.  Well done.

There will be ebbs and flows to the season no doubt. I just hope that they get Czarnik, Neal, and Dube scoring when Johnny and Lindholm have minor droughts. All that I care is that they make the playoffs and hopefully start peaking when the playoffs start.

Meh, since I am making a wish list, I also want the Ducks to implode and the Oilers to screw up as usual, but lose in the draft big time...and sign GG to a 5 year contract. And Make MacT the new GM.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

There will be ebbs and flows to the season no doubt. I just hope that they get Czarnik, Neal, and Dube scoring when Johnny and Lindholm have minor droughts. All that I care is that they make the playoffs and hopefully start peaking when the playoffs start.

Meh, since I am making a wish list, I also want the Ducks to implode and the Oilers to screw up as usual, but lose in the draft big time...and sign GG to a 5 year contract. And Make MacT the new GM.

Chia is doing a great job of ensuring the best player in the NHL is not playing any playoff games.

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

Chia is doing a great job of ensuring the best player in the NHL is not playing any playoff games.

Yeah, but even they know he has to go at some point. I would rather they keep Chia of course. When they do, I want it to be MacT, Lowe, Gretzky...you know, the old boys network that has ensured Edmonton is the City of Chumps.

1 hour ago, electrical_ace said:

This is the best I’ve felt about our team in over a decade!

This is the best we've been in over a decade. lol

Welcome to the club!

1 person likes this

Good to see the Flames in #2 in the League in points.

1st in the West.

Tied for 2nd in goals for.

2nd best goal differential.

Best record against the West.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Good to see the Flames in #2 in the League in points.

1st in the West.

Tied for 2nd in goals for.

2nd best goal differential.

Best record against the West.

•  

Hard to play when they're up, hard to play when they're down.

It's been a refreshing season so far.

Especially no board of constant sorrow.:)

This season has been a ton of fun so far. Have to go back to the 05/06 but even then that team wasn’t all that fun to watch haha but at least they got the job done to win a division 

Last year if we lost Backlund, Frolik, Stone, and Smith to injuries at the same time as losing Gio to a 2 game suspension, then we'd never win a game.  This year we lose them, at the same time having already lost Valimaki who was playing important minutes....and we just keep on pushing.  Our depth is insane.  You gotta hand it to Treliving for putting together such a deep team, while stocking the farm with players that can come in and make an impact.  Then you gotta hand it to Peters for coaching these guys to their potential, punishing players when their bad, and rewarding players when they are good.

As the trade deadline approaches imagine if we could just add another 20 goal scorer.  For free.  Which we can...if Neal can just get the gorilla off his back.

We're not a heavy team...certainly not truculent...and I think we might get beat up pretty bad in the playoffs...but in the process we might light the lamp 50 times per series and limp away with wins.  We're just a very skilled team that is coached very well.  Man it's nice to see!

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

All I want for Christmas is a guns ablazin’ 8 game winning streak.

May your wish come true!

I would be super stoked winning the next 3 four point games.

Some positives for tonight.

JH surpasses 60 points tonight, with 23g and 38a for 61 in 42.

Monahan with 51 points.

Tkachuk with 47 points.

Lndholm with 48 points.

Gio with 39 points

Janko with 7 shortie points, 6 of them goals.

Flames can score a lot ..even when they lose. Last season it was a struggle to put up 2 or more goals in a game....

I like that the changeover to Rittich has happened almost naturally and we are less dependant on Smith.

A positive for me, and IMO the mark of a good team, is what happens when you don't play well. I don't think the Flames have played that well, especially 5 on 5, since they beat down on St Louis (save for the Tampa game but even that had it's issues). Despite that they've still found a way to go 3-3-2 and beat some good teams in the process. That keeps you in the hunt even when your not firing on all cylinders. 

I'm impressed that the rookie D pairing of Andersson and Kylington are playing so well.

Add in Valimaki and the future looks quite promising.

4 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm impressed that the rookie D pairing of Andersson and Kylington are playing so well.

Add in Valimaki and the future looks quite promising.

Add in Hanifin to that young group of defenders and we have a bright future

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0