Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
travel_dude

Flames Positivity

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Still lots to improve on but personally I think a lot of positives should be taken out of the fact that the Flames have, save the Pens game, looked really good against some of the top teams of the league. 

 

I think it’s positive. I think we can be a good team if they can come to play every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

I think it’s positive yes. But we’ve seen this a lot before. Get up for the good teams and not for the bad. Then eventually not for a lot.

 

the reason we get upset is because we’ve seen it before and it’s a pattern that is being repeated.

 

We made changes but the core players are the same. 3rd coach and the same defensive mistakes are being made.

 

There are plenty of threads to wring your hands.  Nothing wrong with your opinion, but I am trying to keep one thread clean of negatives,

The Bandwagon thread is stalled right now, so can we keep one thread open for positives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And back to the positivity....

 

How about how the EN scenario is starting to work out....twice in a row.

Flames tie up games with less than 2 minutes remaining.

In both cases it starts with Andersson.

In both cases it last touches Tkachuk.

 

Ras is so composed at the line.

What would have been an EN goal against last year is resulting in ties.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how about that Rittich kid.

Another single goal allowed.

Ho hum.

.966 SA%

 

He's so quiet in nets, you have to wake him up to make a save, then another, then another.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

And how about that Rittich kid.

Another single goal allowed.

Ho hum.

.966 SA%

 

He's so quiet in nets, you have to wake him up to make a save, then another, then another.....

Preaching to the choir.

I've been praising Rittich forever.

Fundamentals galore.

Maybe he wants an NHL career. He's sure playing like it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Preaching to the choir.

I've been praising Rittich forever.

Fundamentals galore.

Maybe he wants an NHL career. He's sure playing like it.

 

Ya, sort of me too. I thought his first 2/3 of the year last season was great. It seemed to be the norm over his period with the Flames, until he got the starter role. But he has shown the ability to bounce back after a bad game. So I wasn’t too worried about this year with him. 

 

I have liked his fundamentals over Gillies’ so far. Hopefully Gillies can get on track and challenge. 

 

Keep it up Rittich!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, sort of me too. I thought his first 2/3 of the year last season was great. It seemed to be the norm over his period with the Flames, until he got the starter role. But he has shown the ability to bounce back after a bad game. So I wasn’t too worried about this year with him. 

Rittich is good, I like the guy. I think part of the reason his starter run last year didn't go so well was because of how rarely he played. At least this year so far he's starting a regular amount, so if Smith is injured the increase in games isn't going from 1/10 games to 4/5 games, it'll be 1/3 games to 4/5 games.

I don't expect him to be where he is at the whole season (I mean, he's 3-1-0 in 4 starts, and allowed 10 goals in 6 games, though 3 were in that Pit game), but if he can maintain anything close to or better than .920 Sv% this season, he might be able to push for taking over the starters role by the end of the year and possibly solve our problem for the next couple years (hopeful I know, but I believe in the Chronicles of Rittich).


Also, I'm loving what I'm seeing out of Rasmus Andersson. The points will come soon enough, he's making all the right plays. The amount of times I've seen a play start off because of him, and it'll touch 3 other sticks before going in. Or him making a good hit, but not touching the puck as it gets passed and scores on the other team. This is exactly what I've been hoping for. We saw these kinds of skills and plays in Juniors, and he worked every year to prove he was NHL ready, and he's showing it now. I can fully see him being a top 4 D for us for years. I even see the potential for him to be the top 2 guy that we thought Dougie would be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

So, how was the game? 

It was a great road game for the Flames. They dominated the game and Tkachuk was clutch once again. Rittich was fantastic as usual. I was going nuts when we scored with 50 seconds left lol.. i think the poeple below me got mad.. I was wearing my Tkachuk jersey too :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with Rittich, he was always better when he knew he wasn't the defacto starter last season.  When Smith went down last year, the pressure was on and he buckled.  Hopefully he gets more games this season to build his confidence, and the next time he is relied upon to carry the load he will be ready.  Certainly appears to have the ability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see this thread before posting in last nights GDT.  GDTs have been a turn off lately with so much player blame game going on so really good to see this thread and hope it follows into the GDTs.

 

Really happy with the first 12/13 games.  (well there was one game.....)

 

3 new rookies in the line up on a regular basis and not one of them looks out of place.

Team depth is very good and got to be good for competetion for ice time.

The GM has strengthened our team depth and given the coach some great options.

The new coach is a breath of fresh air.  Takes time outs when needed, coaches challenges at the right time and how many goals with our net empty have we scored now?  

 

Going to be teething problems but already BP seems to be holding this team to account.

 

Looking forward ot the rest of the season.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flames seem to be finding their defensive game after it got away from them there. 3 straight games now they've limited the opposition, at 5 on 5, to under 25 scoring chances and under 10 high danger chances. That's top 5-8 calibre D play in the league and they've looked good doing it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a magnificent game last night.

I actually turned the TV off after the 2nd to go to bed (working lots).

I lay there for 5 minutes, thinking, "they're playing so well", even though it was 4-1.

So I got up, turned on the TV just as the 3rd started.

I literally watched the entire period standing up.

 

Now the negative, just for td the op.

I was pumped after that. Reheated some Chili, had a coupla beer. Finally went to bed at 12:30 to wake at 5:30 for a 10 hr shift for the 17th day in a row.

I was a little sleepy this morn.

Because god only knows, it's all about me.:D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What a magnificent game last night.

I actually turned the TV off after the 2nd to go to bed (working lots).

I lay there for 5 minutes, thinking, "they're playing so well", even though it was 4-1.

So I got up, turned on the TV just as the 3rd started.

I literally watched the entire period standing up.

 

Now the negative, just for td the op.

I was pumped after that. Reheated some Chili, had a coupla beer. Finally went to bed at 12:30 to wake at 5:30 for a 10 hr shift for the 17th day in a row.

I was a little sleepy this morn.

Because god only knows, it's all about me.:D

I did the same thing, the goal notifications woke me up. Phone was like a flashlight with 3 goals. Got up went to TV and Gio was scoring. Felt good to break the mediocrity that we as Flames fans have grown accustomed to. GFG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

What a magnificent game last night.

I actually turned the TV off after the 2nd to go to bed (working lots).

I lay there for 5 minutes, thinking, "they're playing so well", even though it was 4-1.

So I got up, turned on the TV just as the 3rd started.

I literally watched the entire period standing up.

 

Now the negative, just for td the op.

I was pumped after that. Reheated some Chili, had a coupla beer. Finally went to bed at 12:30 to wake at 5:30 for a 10 hr shift for the 17th day in a row.

I was a little sleepy this morn.

Because god only knows, it's all about me.:D

 

You are the most important person when you are alone. :) 

 

My brain is stuck on Atlantic Time zone, but even so, I was jacked up.  Was posting Cow Bell and every time I put one up, we scored.  I felt that I had to continue with them.  After Neal scord, I was freaking out every time the play came back to our zone, but the team knew what they were dealing with, so they limited as best they could.   

 

So, the positives:

As of last night we were the highest scoring team in the NHL.  

Back to even in goal differential (less positive stuff but at least we clawed back to that after the touchdown scored on us and a field goal).

Highest scoring 3rd period team in the NHL.

1st in the Pacific.

6 players >= 1.0 p/gp.

Tkachuk is ties with JH for points?  

Gio with 15 in 14.  Wow, just wow.

 

When was the last time we could say that?

The PP is killing us some nights for momentum, but when that gets cleaned up we will be tough to stop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning, I wanted to get just a little more sleep, so I went back to bed. 

I was watching the game, frustrating as heck, but we were holding on to the lead at 3-2. I think the team was giving up tough chances. The goaltending was ok, but not great. But we held on. As the play-by-play commentator called the dying seconds, “the flames have won the Stanley Cup! Their second cup! The first in 89! THE FLAMES HAVE WON THE CUP!” 

They started the skate around the rink with it over their heads, and I woke up! I forget who we played!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

This morning, I wanted to get just a little more sleep, so I went back to bed. 

I was watching the game, frustrating as heck, but we were holding on to the lead at 3-2. I think the team was giving up tough chances. The goaltending was ok, but not great. But we held on. As the play-by-play commentator called the dying seconds, “the flames have won the Stanley Cup! Their second cup! The first in 89! THE FLAMES HAVE WON THE CUP!” 

They started the skate around the rink with it over their heads, and I woke up! I forget who we played!

Go back to bed LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...