The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
travel_dude

Flames Positivity

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Still trying to determine what this team is exactly. They’ve been very good this year but are they good enough ? 2 back to back losses is pretty rare for this team this season however I know many are starting to question this teams play since the All Star break. I still think they are a top team in the league but not in the elite grouping  yet. We play with pace and skill,  good at applying pressure as we’ve seen them do and they are a resilient bunch but there’s still something(s) missing. I don’t think goaltending is our prime issue as we still struggle to play 3 full periods. We are better structured under BP, still 2nd overall but I’m still a bit hesistant on our chances in the 1st rd. I’m still waiting for that “next gear” to this team and some tighter defensive play should ease any goalie concerns imo

So, we had a loss to WAS, SJS and a SO loss to the Nucks.

Common denominator was Smith was in for 7 goals against and Rittich 5.

This isnt on either goalie right now.

We know what Smith is.

Rittich has 5 meh goals against.

What is more common is that 5v5 defense is suspect.

Anyway, back to positivity.  All teams go through mini slumps.  Not worried about that.  Rittich has been sharp all season, so he just needs to regain his focus.  The top line has been our bread and butter, so if they are shut down, you tend to see less goals.  That will come back soon enough.

Didnt really know where to post this but if this isnt a positive story then what is? Heres an axcellent interview with Big Ern (not Kevin)  McGrattan on what he does for the organization based on his own experiences.

Flames are starting to remind me of last years Knights. I'd be happy with a SC final. Lots of work to do yet though. The big challenge now is staying ahead of the Sharks for home ice.

Time to bump this one back to the top

We may not have gotten the shiny new Toy , but I'm now really excited for the rest of the season

Had we gotten that RW, Czarnik would be pushed down, and hes just starting to find a new gear 

Now we get some answers.. Like Is Rittich a playoff Goalie? 

Our kids will get some serious playoff battle time ..while taking advantage of the seasoned vets that have been there , and may not be next year , like Smith and Frolik 

We will see how far the magic takes us this year, finally doing this from a position of strength instead of an underdog .. lots of questions will be answered 

• Like 1

We have 12 forwards and 6D playing on fire.

Have depth on D; Prout, Fantenburg, Stone (maybe) and Valimaki (once AHL season is done).

Have Neal getting ready for the playoffs.

And Lazar, being 1 of 4 callups remaining.

Rittich was the man, but has let Smith think he's the star.

Both will battle for the coach's wink.

A good team with some NHL depth in the AHL.

May not get to use them until after the roster freeze comes off.

How special would it be for Quine to score another OT goal in the playoffs?

Frolik goal sink WPG.

31 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Time to bump this one back to the top

We may not have gotten the shiny new Toy , but I'm now really excited for the rest of the season

Had we gotten that RW, Czarnik would be pushed down, and hes just starting to find a new gear 

Now we get some answers.. Like Is Rittich a playoff Goalie? 

Our kids will get some serious playoff battle time ..while taking advantage of the seasoned vets that have been there , and may not be next year , like Smith and Frolik 

We will see how far the magic takes us this year, finally doing this from a position of strength instead of an underdog .. lots of questions will be answered 

I get that you can’t use being in the Finals two years in a row as an excuse, but that’s a lot of miles the body needs to catch up on for rest. I will sugarcoat Neal’s injury and say he probably needed the rest and could come back flying? 

I honestly think the deep runs has possibly slowed him since he hasn’t had full off seasons to recover and train to get back to game shape. 

If anything, I think he’ll be great in the playoffs and even better next year. 

I think we have a heck of a team that can play with anyone, just gotta get up for the games to start with. 🤪

realistically i wanna win a round or two and anything more than two rounds is gravy! I’d be ecstatic if they win the cup of course. We have what it takes to get to the finals. Let’s stay healthy and go to the cup!

I'm not stoppng at the WCF.

We have a team that can beat any team any given night.

WHEN we make it to the WCF, we will be the team to beat.

Balanced home ice and road records.

Have slaughtered every top team in one game or more.

By then, the goalie will be hardened.

Primary and secondary scoring will be consistent.

Defense will be balanced.

BRING. IT. ON.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not stoppng at the WCF.

We have a team that can beat any team any given night.

WHEN we make it to the WCF, we will be the team to beat.

Balanced home ice and road records.

Have slaughtered every top team in one game or more.

By then, the goalie will be hardened.

Primary and secondary scoring will be consistent.

Defense will be balanced.

BRING. IT. ON.

I don’t want to stop their either. The Playoffs are such a grind though. Stay in 1st and I love our chances even more! 

Beat everyone on our way in, get the home ice and we are golden!

• Like 1

19 games left.

11 @ home

12 vs non playoff teams 

Should be able to ride this to 1st place in the Western Conference. 

• Like 3

I like that we have improved in one goal games.

Turning a one goal game into a 3-1 or 4-1 win is nice to see as well.

We have improved at 5v5 recently.

We are starting to have a team more like the 1988-89 team than the miracle team in 2004.

I hope we aren't lamenting "it was in" again this late spring.

I have seen a few questionable calls of no-goal even with the advanced technology.

One was a game with Boston playing IIRC.

There was a view where the puck crossed the line, yet Toronto, who actually called for the review, said no goal.

What is the definition of definitve.

I hope we don't have to go there in the playoffs.

I am cranky that we have lost three in a row. I am not, however, surprised by that trend. The Flames are in the unusual position of being ahead of the game rather than chasing others in the standings. It sounds odd, but I kind of thought that there would be this hiccup and that we will turn it around. I suspect that there are nerves whenever a new threshold is reached and barriers torn apart. I believe that a short-term losing streak will help the team make the necessary adjustments before the playoffs. 

• Like 1

I have a good feeling about our upcoming home games.

It might not happen against vegas (praying it does), but I think we're going to find our game and get our mojo back during the next part of the schedule.

3 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I have a good feeling about our upcoming home games.

It might not happen against vegas (praying it does), but I think we're going to find our game and get our mojo back during the next part of the schedule.

Vegas will be coming in on the backend of B2B (in Van tonight) so hopefully we'd be able to take them out.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Unfortunately the Nucks didn't put up much of a fight.

6 in a row for Vegas, they are due for a good ole beat down 

We need to remember that, in an 82 game season, it is impossible for a team to "give it their all," or "get up" for every game.  With the Flames being one of the top teams for the majority of the year, they are an opponent that teams definitely circle on their calendar and bring their A game....top goalies, top effort, etc, and consider them "statement" games like we do againt TB.  That being said the Flames have continued to win, or at least be close in almost every game, while facing top competition that is bringing their A game.

The playoffs will be a different story with every team playing their top game, and I don't see a team other than TB that Calgary cannot beat in a 7 game series.  Let's get there and beat TB this year like we should have in '04!

• Like 2

So, we dropped out of 1st in the West.  Boo hoo hoo.

This isn;t the team from last year that looked adversity in the eye, then turned and walked away with its head down.

We rise to the challenge.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, we dropped out of 1st in the West.  Boo hoo hoo.

This isn;t the team from last year that looked adversity in the eye, then turned and walked away with its head down.

We rise to the challenge.

I think it’s actually a good thing. It was lonely at the top, think we’ve become slightly complacent in our play because of it. Losing 1st in the West should reignite this teams’ play. I’d much rather we go through this losing slump now as opposed to limping into the playoffs with losses. 

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

This will be the game. A couple days off to reset, a home crowd, and a hard forecheck should do the trick.

Not to mention most likely Subban in net who the Flames torched for 7 earlier in the year 

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not to mention most likely Subban in net who the Flames torched for 7 earlier in the year 

Recently the Flames have a habit of making mediocre goalies look really good. That ends tonight.

Brad Treliving made a few statements about James Neal the other day:

" He (Neal) has been a great value to us since pretty much he is out there. He is really popular guy around the team. Brad Pascal was in Stockton chatting with Dillon Dube at the dinner and asked him about his NHL stunt. Dube wanted him to know how important James Neal was to him around the training camp and part of the main season, taking him under his wing and explaining the challenges of the season and what to expect from it. When Dube was sent down to Stockton, first message he saw when he landed was from James, telling not to get upset and to know that this all is just the part of the process, and how the games in Feb/Mar are different from the games in Oct/Nov.Neal told him what to expect from this time of the year and if you go cold for 3-4 games not to get frustrated, since the games are not like in the start of the season."

This is some pretty good news that Neal is taking a big role with the young players.

• Like 1