Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cowtownguy

Gambling in the NHL

11 posts in this topic

In May 2018, the Supreme Court of the United States reversed a 1992 law that prohibited gambling in organized sports. Presumably, this law was designed to discourage attempts to fix games for financial gain. While it would be difficult for most players to swing games, goaltenders would have an impact and referees could be bought off to call games in favour of some teams. In order to dissuade illegal conduct, the NHL has people watch games for suspicious activity. My question is how effective will this be? Last night, we won the game, but the officiating seemed questionable to me. There have been other games where it looked one-sided. How can the league ensure that corruption doesn't creep into the sport when officiating already seems poor at times? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take "What is Proline?" for 600 Alex.:)

 

We've had legal gambling on organized sport in Canada ever since the governments saw another way to get people to pay voluntary taxes. The illegal stuff was around much longer.

 

If I was worried about gamblers fixing games it would be about the illegal betting places that have always existed in the US (the very 1s that rigged boxing & baseball leading to the scandles of the past) as the legal stuff will be too penny ante for the high rollers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get what the law is all about cause can't we place bets in Vegas?  Or is only betting on winning the Cup allowed?  

 

Does this means players can now gamble in the league they play?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't get what the law is all about cause can't we place bets in Vegas?  Or is only betting on winning the Cup allowed?  

 

Does this means players can now gamble in the league they play?

 

 

As FF2 has said, there has always been illegal gambling and legal gambling in Vegas. Now, it is anticipated to grow much larger very quickly. Apparently, the first contract that the NHL is expected to sign is for $300 million. The NHL will sell detailed statistics and information to ensure that gambling sites (the house) has an advantage. The average gambler will not have access to this information of course. There will be many more contracts signed apparently and it is anticipated to be a significant source of new revenue.

 

Once more money is invested into these ventures, I wonder if corruption will become a bigger problem. Of course, FF2 might well be correct. The larger legal companies will make more money, but have the knowledge to outwit people. Perhaps there will be far more smaller bets. Whenever I see bank money and gambling, I cannot help but think of corruption. Apparently, the league has a set of policies on how individuals in the NHL should behave when approached by those trying to influence the outcome of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

As FF2 has said, there has always been illegal gambling and legal gambling in Vegas. Now, it is anticipated to grow much larger very quickly. Apparently, the first contract that the NHL is expected to sign is for $300 million. The NHL will sell detailed statistics and information to ensure that gambling sites (the house) has an advantage. The average gambler will not have access to this information of course. There will be many more contracts signed apparently and it is anticipated to be a significant source of new revenue.

 

Once more money is invested into these ventures, I wonder if corruption will become a bigger problem. Of course, FF2 might well be correct. The larger legal companies will make more money, but have the knowledge to outwit people. Perhaps there will be far more smaller bets. Whenever I see bank money and gambling, I cannot help but think of corruption. Apparently, the league has a set of policies on how individuals in the NHL should behave when approached by those trying to influence the outcome of games.

 

FF52 didn't say anything about Vegas?

 

How come people were allowed to bet on the Superbowl and stuff like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

FF52 didn't say anything about Vegas?

 

How come people were allowed to bet on the Superbowl and stuff like that?

They were the only state exempt from the gambling law. I believe that people have always been allowed to gamble on professional sports there. This decision impacts every state and there is a lot of interest. Now, state gambling commissions can rake in cash on every major professional sport, every game. Apparently, the major leagues were not in favour of the decision. It was a 6-3 decision by the court in May. Revenues will be shared equally with the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

They were the only state exempt from the gambling law. I believe that people have always been allowed to gamble on professional sports there. This decision impacts every state and there is a lot of interest. Now, state gambling commissions can rake in cash on every major professional sport, every game. Apparently, the major leagues were not in favour of the decision. It was a 6-3 decision by the court in May. Revenues will be shared equally with the players. 

 

Hm interesting.  

 

I guess if Canada has always had this law and it didn't affect the outcome of games then this new gambling law shouldn't either. 

 

I mean, all rules and business ethics should be followed by players and organizations as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see why major sports leagues avoided a team in Vegas for the longest time if Nevada allowed gambling.  But I mean, did Vegas rig their way to the Cup Finals?  Not really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I could see why major sports leagues avoided a team in Vegas for the longest time if Nevada allowed gambling.  But I mean, did Vegas rig their way to the Cup Finals?  Not really.

But how do we know? My understanding is that the leagues were concerned about corruption (and against the ruling) and have instituted policies to deal with it. Players, coaches, and refs have to take classes about what to do when approached by criminals. Given how poor officiating is some nights, might this already be a problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I could see why major sports leagues avoided a team in Vegas for the longest time if Nevada allowed gambling.  But I mean, did Vegas rig their way to the Cup Finals?  Not really.

 

Basically, I think the change is selling data to Vegas (and other places like NJ) where the house can use it to set odds and run the equivalent of OTB.

The players will get some of the revenue from the data.

Game outcomes would be less important.

Betting on goals, shots, +/-, over/under, etc.

Becomes a tax grab for IRS by putting it in casinos.

The house will have a better advantage due to the analytics used to set the odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'll take "What is Proline?" for 600 Alex.:)

 

We've had legal gambling on organized sport in Canada ever since the governments saw another way to get people to pay voluntary taxes. The illegal stuff was around much longer.

 

If I was worried about gamblers fixing games it would be about the illegal betting places that have always existed in the US (the very 1s that rigged boxing & baseball leading to the scandles of the past) as the legal stuff will be too penny ante for the high rollers.

The biggest one in baseball was the White Sox, in that time players felt the owner was cheap and cut down on bonuses so it was just as much as an FU to the owner.  Still in baseball to fix a series you need to get to at least 5 players with 2 being starting pitchers, hockey to fix a series you really only need to get to the goalie.  But at last there is the factor of how much you can pay the player because the player can stand to lose more on contracts, and I believe detection is a lot easier in today's day and age.  I do fear of potential with refs as the NBA had that issue a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.