The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

I couldn't find a separate thread for this prospect, so I thought that I would start one.

Calgary Flames prospect Mathias Emilio Pettersen has been named the NCHC's Rookie Of The Month for October.

The Denver University freshman has helped lead the Pioneers to a 3-0-1 start with his team-high 8 points.

He was drafted by Calgary in the 6th round (167 overall) of the 2018 draft.

Pettersen is a 5' 10", 170 lb LH center who was drafted out of the USHL after scoring 14 goals + 32 assists = 46 points in 60 games.

Here is one scouting report:

Future Considerations - Ranked 156th overall

A quality forward, he is a decent skater, showing great agility and quickness on his edges. For his size, though, he lacks great foot speed. Yet he owns deceptive speed. With quick acceleration he makes opponents miss with stick and body checks. His hands, too, are very good, so he's elusive, with the ability to weave in and out of traffic. He can make defenders look silly at times with simple stickhandlng and stop-and-go stunts. His puckhandling ability is elite. With confidence, he carries the puck through traffic and he can make highlight-reel moves in one-on-one situations. Off the rush, he is very dangerous. His array of shots is powerful and quick. His puck movement and vision are impressive. He can uncover tight passing lanes and find the tape of a teammate's stick. Defensively, too, he excels. He's fearless in board battles. His compete and energy levels make him an effective defender because he wants the puck back on this stick. No surprise, he's an eager counterattacker. He's a consistent - and versatile - presence. He's extremely strong with the puck on his stick or when putting the body on the opposition - and also when someone is trying to shove him around. He owns an enticing package - shot, vision, skill, compete - that, no doubt, would help an NHL team, especially if he can physically mature.

Here's a longer one from SB Nation:

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/6/12/17450370/mathias-emilio-pettersen-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I couldn't find a separate thread for this prospect, so I thought that I would start one.

Calgary Flames prospect Mathias Emilio Pettersen has been named the NCHC's Rookie Of The Month for October.

The Denver University freshman has helped lead the Pioneers to a 3-0-1 start with his team-high 8 points.

He was drafted by Calgary in the 6th round (167 overall) of the 2018 draft.

Pettersen is a 5' 10", 170 lb LH center who was drafted out of the USHL after scoring 14 goals + 32 assists = 46 points in 60 games.

Here is one scouting report:

Future Considerations - Ranked 156th overall

A quality forward, he is a decent skater, showing great agility and quickness on his edges. For his size, though, he lacks great foot speed. Yet he owns deceptive speed. With quick acceleration he makes opponents miss with stick and body checks. His hands, too, are very good, so he's elusive, with the ability to weave in and out of traffic. He can make defenders look silly at times with simple stickhandlng and stop-and-go stunts. His puckhandling ability is elite. With confidence, he carries the puck through traffic and he can make highlight-reel moves in one-on-one situations. Off the rush, he is very dangerous. His array of shots is powerful and quick. His puck movement and vision are impressive. He can uncover tight passing lanes and find the tape of a teammate's stick. Defensively, too, he excels. He's fearless in board battles. His compete and energy levels make him an effective defender because he wants the puck back on this stick. No surprise, he's an eager counterattacker. He's a consistent - and versatile - presence. He's extremely strong with the puck on his stick or when putting the body on the opposition - and also when someone is trying to shove him around. He owns an enticing package - shot, vision, skill, compete - that, no doubt, would help an NHL team, especially if he can physically mature.

Here's a longer one from SB Nation:

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/6/12/17450370/mathias-emilio-pettersen-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

That description sounds like Hudler.

He has a cool Flames link to him as well. Been a fan since he was 10 growing up in Norway.

He, Posposil and Zavgorodniy are members of their last draft class off to good starts offensively so far this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He has a cool Flames link to him as well. Been a fan since he was 10 growing up in Norway.

He, Posposil and Zavgorodniy are members of their last draft class off to good starts offensively so far this year. 

I would really like us to expand importance on drafting Europe. Not solely drafting from Europe, but getting more scouts there so we can find a Pastranak, or a Kuznetsov. We’ve done ok, but can their be stars post 1st round?

On 2018-11-02 at 7:01 PM, 420since1974 said:

Hakan Loob has been the Head European Scout for under 6 months.

I wonder how much impact he'll have on future drafts?

Hes responsible for pro scouting. 

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎02 at 7:01 PM, 420since1974 said:

Hakan Loob has been the Head European Scout for under 6 months.

I wonder how much impact he'll have on future drafts?

Never happens over night but Loob should know his way around.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Any relationship to Canucks Petterson?

If there is, it's fairly distant. Canucks Petterson is a Swede. our Petterson is Norweigan

Under the radar news but Petterson is playing at the World Juniors but Norway is in the B tournament. Quality of this clip isn't great, but it does show some pretty quick and soft hands on a nice goal from Petterson. 

• Like 1

Corey Pronman has an article on The Athletic where he ranks the top NHL affiliated prospects, he has Pettersen at 52. He notes in the article that Pettersen is the leading scorer amongst U19 players in the NCAA.

• Like 1

Can't not notice what Petterson has done so far this year. The type of numbers he is putting up and the impact he's having point strongly that he's more likely to be an NHL player than not. Exciting stuff for such a late round pick.

For some further context, Gaudreau was a 1.0 PPG his freshmen year. Jankowski was a 0.53

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Can't not notice what Petterson has done so far this year. The type of numbers he is putting up and the impact he's having point strongly that he's more likely to be an NHL player than not. Exciting stuff for such a late round pick.

For some further context, Gaudreau was a 1.0 PPG his freshmen year. Jankowski was a 0.53

It would be nice to score a homerun with MEP.  I like some of our draft picks, but the college ones seem to be very hit or miss.

He could develop into something.  I don't look so much at JH's freshman numbers because he was a little boy playing grown men, while MEP is fair sized for his height.  

It would be goog to add a high level prospect to the AHL or NHL team.  I believe he could go there directly due to being draft out of USHL.  Probably needs at least another year in college.