The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Sign in to follow this  
Pyromancer

2018-19 Playoff Wild Card Projection

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Florida beats SJ down!:)

Vegas losses today as well. :D

SJ plays a desperate WSH team tmrw who has lost 5 straight. Gotta expect WSH to bring their "A" game vs SJ tmrw to salvage some pts before the break. If we take care of business vs CAR we could have an 8 pt cushion in the Pacific going into the break. That's huge!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Vegas losses today as well. :D

SJ plays a desperate WSH team tmrw who has lost 5 straight. Gotta expect WSH to bring their "A" game vs SJ tmrw to salvage some pts before the break. If we take care of business vs CAR we could have an 8 pt cushion in the Pacific going into the break. That's huge!

With a game in hand.:)

Carolina is 7-3 in the month of January and have won their last 4 games. They can be a tough test. Let’s hope they play for coach to beat his old team. Go BP Go!

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Carolina is 7-3 in the month of January and have won their last 4 games. They can be a tough test. Let’s hope they play for coach to beat his old team. Go BP Go!

Carolina reminds me of Vegas without the goalie.  Fast execution.  No Reaves, but some solid gritty guys.  I like their transition game.  Saying that, I don't know that they stack up that well against us.  Especially our PP.  

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Carolina reminds me of Vegas without the goalie.  Fast execution.  No Reaves, but some solid gritty guys.  I like their transition game.  Saying that, I don't know that they stack up that well against us.  Especially our PP.  

Ya, just won’t want to take it for granted, the fact they don’t stack up to the Flames. It seems to be the Flames problem, not to get up for teams they think don’t stack up against them, giving the other team a lead then realizing they need to play hockey to win. Then somehow pull it out.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, just won’t want to take it for granted, the fact they don’t stack up to the Flames. It seems to be the Flames problem, not to get up for teams they think don’t stack up against them, giving the other team a lead then realizing they need to play hockey to win. Then somehow pull it out.

Well, the recent losses were Buffalo (OTL), BOS (Smith had a bad B2B game), VAN (OTL, only able to get shorties), STL (Smith bad game) and Dallas (shutout).  I don't feel that any of those were the result of not being up for the games.  The Dallas game was unusual.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Well, the recent losses were Buffalo (OTL), BOS (Smith had a bad B2B game), VAN (OTL, only able to get shorties), STL (Smith bad game) and Dallas (shutout).  I don't feel that any of those were the result of not being up for the games.  The Dallas game was unusual.

I am talking about games they won when they only started playing mid-late in the 2nd period but pulled off the victory. They haven’t played well, so it’s great that they’re where they’re at. It’s great they find a way to win, but in the long run it could be a bad habit. I like that they’re proving me wrong. But it’s still something to be concerned about because in the playoffs it’s not a good habit.

38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am talking about games they won when they only started playing mid-late in the 2nd period but pulled off the victory. They haven’t played well, so it’s great that they’re where they’re at. It’s great they find a way to win, but in the long run it could be a bad habit. I like that they’re proving me wrong. But it’s still something to be concerned about because in the playoffs it’s not a good habit.

It's a long grind of a season.  I don't feel there has been that many "not showing up on time" recently.  Some poor execution and lack of details for sure, but overall they are competing.  Some games we played a bunch in short order, so let down was inevitable.  But, the most important detail for me is being able to score.  Shouldn't have to wait till we are down a bunch, but again a lot of that falls on individual miscues or a bad save attempt.

I just don't have the same concerns as last year, not since Pittsburg.  And really, 90% of that game was Smith.  We were outplaying the Pens for parts of that game.  A lot of it really.  

Pyro, you do a great job and all with these tables, but may I make a couple of suggestions? First, do we really need Edmonton in there and clog up the table? It also seems kind of mean to have them in there to legitimate their false hope. Second, do you believe that it will only take 89 points to get into a playoff position? You see, I think some Edmonton fans look at that and fantasize that they could possibly be in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

You see, I think some Edmonton fans look at that and fantasize that they could possibly be in the playoffs. 

All hail the loser pt which plays a large part in creating the illusion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the break!

Will throw up another after tomorrow's games also.

dc1694b5bef491eff8aebec2c3988877.png

Pretty sad race for the Western wildcard! :rolleyes:

Even the Kings or Hawks winning roughly 2 of 3 for rest of season have a shot at it. <_<

2a08c9c974343828f1e74643f090007c.png

dfd8c5f1fa93e15e221adc68fa428fda.png

Still a turtle race for wild card in the West.

Don't count out the Hawks or the teams we all hate.

So glad I wasn't in Long Island watching the rare dreaded double-shutout game between the Islanders & the Bolts.

I thought both teams could score. :lol:

Usually only post these after a Flames game but I am astounded by the pathetic wild card race in the West.

Cut-off now projects to 84 pts [Nucks in WC2 with a 24-29 record :rolleyes:]

7776237125245cfbc00a7b43eb4594df.png

I bet you;ve been checking your spredsheet formula!

It is  a weird one this season.

Fans of 2 teams out East are going to be annoyed when they see a team 6 points behind them get a place in the last 16.

If the playoffs started today, we would be playing VAN in round 1.

Considering the teams below them, I would predict it would be STL or COL making the jump.

COL can't just keep losing like that.

STL is a better team than their record implies.

Can't believe how low the bar is out West.

It should come up to about 88 or 90 by the end of the season, but boy it looks bad now.

Sorry Oilers, you just don't have it.

Goaltending has regressed.

Sekera is likely due back this month.

Klefbom is not 100%.

Cap issues created by bad trades abound.

What a mess of a wild card race....how the west has fallen! The Blues look to be gaining momentum right now, I’d love for a playoff BoA again but I’d still be leary of a crappy but desperate Oilers team in rd 1. It’s hard to say which of those teams battling for wildcard spots would be the ideal matchup for us. I just hope we don’t get too far ahead of ourselves and start discounting the lowly wild card teams 

43 minutes ago, rickross said:

What a mess of a wild card race....how the west has fallen! The Blues look to be gaining momentum right now, I’d love for a playoff BoA again but I’d still be leary of a crappy but desperate Oilers team in rd 1. It’s hard to say which of those teams battling for wildcard spots would be the ideal matchup for us. I just hope we don’t get too far ahead of ourselves and start discounting the lowly wild card teams 

I'm not so worried about the WC teams and wannabees that will be close.  I hope we stay away from DAL in round 1.  MIN, STL, VAN and COL are all remnents of their former teams.  COL is the most exciting, but clearly are like the Oilers having one line and not much else.  MIN is not a great team.  VAN has two players and not much else.  STL could be tough, but they have a weak spot in nets.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. We haven’t won anything (the division) yet. The Sharks are hot on the heels and we need to see how we handle the pressures to close out the season. Play is going to get tighter for Gaudreau and see if we/he can keep it going.

Sign in to follow this