The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Sign in to follow this  
Pyromancer

2018-19 Playoff Wild Card Projection

East cut-off dropping & West rising a wee bit.

4d52ed1c8711fd278bb106e9c7d2389b.png

This is the time of year where points are going to be hard to come by and making up ground or pulling away is even harder. 

I worry the team doesn’t take opponents like the Canucks seriously enough. The Flames outplayed them by the numbers but defensively had a disengaged performance. Also, another slow start and bad first part of the game cost them the lead. 

They took it to the canucks in the 2nd but the shots weren’t that scary, albeit markstrom made some good saves. 

Id still like more killer instinct and blow teams away that aren’t in the playoffs. 

Now the Sharks have the opportunity to leapfrog the Flames because of it. We have games in hand after tonight, but still gotta win those games.

Traditionally this is the time of year the Flames go on a skid. 

Need to gee going here! Can’t let a two game losing streak turn into 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

This is the time of year where points are going to be hard to come by and making up ground or pulling away is even harder. 

I worry the team doesn’t take opponents like the Canucks seriously enough. The Flames outplayed them by the numbers but defensively had a disengaged performance. Also, another slow start and bad first part of the game cost them the lead. 

They took it to the canucks in the 2nd but the shots weren’t that scary, albeit markstrom made some good saves. 

Id still like more killer instinct and blow teams away that aren’t in the playoffs. 

Now the Sharks have the opportunity to leapfrog the Flames because of it. We have games in hand after tonight, but still gotta win those games.

Traditionally this is the time of year the Flames go on a skid. 

Need to gee going here! Can’t let a two game losing streak turn into 3.

Well I certainly am not worried as I was last year.

We have nothing like the team then.

Sometimes you have games like the Nucks game.

It isn;t a "hot" goalie as much as pucks hitting and bouncing the wrong way.

In the west it's hard to tell who is a playoff team and who isn;t.

Losing a SO point to the Nucks isn;t a big deal, considering they gave the Nucks the PP in OT after the Flames were applying pressure.

The SJS games was 2 goals let in by Rittich and the game basically given away by the goalie chang.  I'm not pinning the loss on Smith, but lets face it, the game was over as soon as he let in the 1st one.  The WAS games was last minute, first minute, last minute goals against. 

So, what I am getting at is we have not played that well in 2 of 4 games.  Smith was in nets for the majority of those two.  FIx the backup issue and you shouldn;t worry as much.  Lingering issues can be worked out.  PP cooled down a bit, but our PK is strong.        

Not even 10 minutes in... San Jose is leading Vancouver 3-0.... The Canucks haven't even got a shot on net yet..  =(

1 hour ago, Kiweh said:

Not even 10 minutes in... San Jose is leading Vancouver 3-0.... The Canucks haven't even got a shot on net yet..  =(

The sharks have spanked the 3 western Canadian teams

33 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

The sharks have spanked the 3 western Canadian teams

Sharks are definitely starting to peak , sane as the Blues and Hawks right now. Flames need to find their game, a win against Tampa would be a massive ego boost 

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well I certainly am not worried as I was last year.

We have nothing like the team then.

Sometimes you have games like the Nucks game.

It isn;t a "hot" goalie as much as pucks hitting and bouncing the wrong way.

In the west it's hard to tell who is a playoff team and who isn;t.

Losing a SO point to the Nucks isn;t a big deal, considering they gave the Nucks the PP in OT after the Flames were applying pressure.

The SJS games was 2 goals let in by Rittich and the game basically given away by the goalie chang.  I'm not pinning the loss on Smith, but lets face it, the game was over as soon as he let in the 1st one.  The WAS games was last minute, first minute, last minute goals against. 

So, what I am getting at is we have not played that well in 2 of 4 games.  Smith was in nets for the majority of those two.  FIx the backup issue and you shouldn;t worry as much.  Lingering issues can be worked out.  PP cooled down a bit, but our PK is strong.        

The problem I see is that the Canucks beat the Flames 3 times this year. It’s a team the Flames have to beat being a non playoff team. That’s 4 points that they left on the board because Two losses are in OT though. 

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The problem I see is that the Canucks beat the Flames 3 times this year. It’s a team the Flames have to beat being a non playoff team. That’s 4 points that they left on the board because Two losses are in OT though. 

Good for them.  Considering they are just outside a playoff spot, it's not exactly a stretch that they could or might beat us.  I hate the Nucks, but they have played well in the last two games.  The other two, well those were the first 2 of the season.  I'm more concerned beating other teams in the West.  And the coming roadie, where the points are all against East teams.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Good for them.  Considering they are just outside a playoff spot, it's not exactly a stretch that they could or might beat us.  I hate the Nucks, but they have played well in the last two games.  The other two, well those were the first 2 of the season.  I'm more concerned beating other teams in the West.  And the coming roadie, where the points are all against East teams.

I am using the Canucks as one example. They’re all bordering playoffs but if you’re a team that is great to elite, you don’t lose to them. Dallas a few times, Edmonton, Anaheim once, St. Louis when they were way down and so on. It’s a bad habit of playing down to the opponents and possibly we are overreacting but also possible overrating our team. Possibly it’s both. I see a good team that is lucky to be first in the West. I know you won’t agree. 

I see warts on the team makeup, but I also think when engaged they can compete with anyone. Not being engaged is one of those warts I see as well.

for the longest time Peters was begging for a practice so the team could get structure back in and iron out the team’s bad habits. So that tells us that the team was winning in spite of their play.

i am happy to be first in the West but I just see these warts and think if we see them in the Playoffs that the team won’t go far. So just saying, iron those out and I will be a believer.  

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am using the Canucks as one example. They’re all bordering playoffs but if you’re a team that is great to elite, you don’t lose to them. Dallas a few times, Edmonton, Anaheim once, St. Louis when they were way down and so on. It’s a bad habit of playing down to the opponents and possibly we are overreacting but also possible overrating our team. Possibly it’s both. I see a good team that is lucky to be first in the West. I know you won’t agree. 

I see warts on the team makeup, but I also think when engaged they can compete with anyone. Not being engaged is one of those warts I see as well.

for the longest time Peters was begging for a practice so the team could get structure back in and iron out the team’s bad habits. So that tells us that the team was winning in spite of their play.

i am happy to be first in the West but I just see these warts and think if we see them in the Playoffs that the team won’t go far. So just saying, iron those out and I will be a believer.  

Tampa Bay has lost to:

Canucks

Coyotes (7-1)

Ducks

and the 31st place Senators

NHL is a parity based league and a game where 1 or 2 bounces can make the difference. Shouldn't overreact to 1 win or 1 loss. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Tampa Bay has lost to:

Canucks

Coyotes (7-1)

Ducks

and the 31st place Senators

NHL is a parity based league and a game where 1 or 2 bounces can make the difference. Shouldn't overreact to 1 win or 1 loss. 

I am also talking about the play in a lot of games where they didn’t play well but won. It’s now costing them by not coming to play and expecting to score their way out of their defensive lapses or poor goals our goalies need to make. It’s a pattern.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I understand your concern.  You can also look at games where we left nothing on the ice because we had to make up for crap goaltending.  And you can look at games where we could easily have won and lost because of crap goaltending.  STL just before Christmas.  WAS last week.  

Every single team in the league has ups and downs.  You can't sustain the level of winning for more than about 5 games.  We have proved to be able to beat the best team, which is far more important to me than losing to a non-contender.  VAN is one of them, for all the talk of playoffs, they aren't built to make it.  Basically an off week by the goalie from being eliminated.  They have the fewest ROW than any potential playoff teams.

Look, I get you are talking about the Flames and how you feel they haven't been their best.  In spite of that, we have 5 players with more than a p/gp.  And we have been getting "average" goaltending for the last while.  That points to a team more likely to improve than drop.  An excellent road record.  Good against the East and West.  Good at home.  All this despite the distractions.

A couple of notes.

Thank Gord, Wash destroyed SJS last night.

It's a 4 team race right now for top spots in the West.

Before last game, Hitch said EDM needs to get 4 points out of every 3 games for the rest of the season.

That sounds about right, if the West doesn't start improving.  85 points as the cutoff?  WOW.

The East looks pretty tight, but teams below the cut line have to go .635 win rate or better.

On one hand, I hope the sellers are plentiful.

On the other, it will become an arms race.

23 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

e3ad8bad8463f8c5e0f524bf9195f36e.png

Five wins and a loss in OT and we can coast to the playoffs.

GG loved to play for OT.

Edmonton is on their last legs.

If DAL, MIN, or even VAN have a moderately strong finish & the WC cutoff rises to a paltry 91 pts, the Oil would have to go 19-6-0 to reach that target.

As if B)

4 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

Edmonton is on their last legs.

If DAL, MIN, or even VAN have a moderately strong finish & the WC cutoff rises to a paltry 91 pts, the Oil would have to go 19-6-0 to reach that target.

As if B)

One of my favorite things about the current standings is the 22 points we are ahead of the Oilers. :D

• Like 3

On 2019-02-16 at 5:11 AM, rocketdoctor said:

One of my favorite things about the current standings is the 22 points we are ahead of the Oilers. :D

Make that 24pts! ;)

• Like 1

I guess we have been feasting on the Western Conference; especially the Central.

Surprisingly, we also have been taking advantage of the Metropolitan in the East.

90c0ef78b2bc89808ca85ba539dd5439.png

Just when you didn't think it could become any more pathetic, the projected WC cutoff in the West now sitting at 83 pts. :rolleyes:

It appears nobody wants it as it will probably mean facing the mighty Flames in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I guess they would rather cower & pull their heads into their shells as they plod along in this gripping turtle race. B)

4eff4ccc75e8ad7afc7b2931ae5547ec.png2822

Believe it or not, the Ducks are trensing towards placing higher than the Oilers.

How is that even possible?

Ducks of a record losing streak.

Oilers with a "generational" player who may play part of his generation elsewhere when he gets fed up.

Sign in to follow this