Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Coilers 7pm Dec 9

Recommended Posts

I don't think you can mess with the top line right now, they are one of top lines in the league right now. Have to find another way to get offense from the 2nd and 3rd lines.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Hathaway

Mangiapane-Quine-Czarnik

 

Give the Tkachuk line tons of offensive zone starts and put the Ryan line out as your defensive checking unit. There is also a lot of skill and speed on the 4th line. Not sure if their is enough speed on the 2nd line to work, but Tkachuk is a good playmaker and Neal is a finisher, maybe it would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think you can mess with the top line right now, they are one of top lines in the league right now. Have to find another way to get offense from the 2nd and 3rd lines.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Hathaway

Mangiapane-Quine-Czarnik

 

Give the Tkachuk line tons of offensive zone starts and put the Ryan line out as your defensive checking unit. There is also a lot of skill and speed on the 4th line. Not sure if their is enough speed on the 2nd line to work, but Tkachuk is a good playmaker and Neal is a finisher, maybe it would work.

 

I'm starting to think that is the only way to get Tkachuk going again.

I would almost switch some players in the bottom 6.

Mangiapane-Quine-Hathaway

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik.

 

Split the defensive duty evenly.  The all-AHL line knows how to work hard.  Bennett on LW and Ryan at C is a pretty much N-S line.  Czar adds some speed and maybe can score.  It doesn;t look that different, but honestly Bennett isn;t deserving of more than 10 minutes with his play of late.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think you can mess with the top line right now, they are one of top lines in the league right now. Have to find another way to get offense from the 2nd and 3rd lines.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Hathaway

Mangiapane-Quine-Czarnik

 

Give the Tkachuk line tons of offensive zone starts and put the Ryan line out as your defensive checking unit. There is also a lot of skill and speed on the 4th line. Not sure if their is enough speed on the 2nd line to work, but Tkachuk is a good playmaker and Neal is a finisher, maybe it would work.

If they brought Dube up, I'd even put him with Tkachuk and Jankowski. I'd like to see Mangiapane a try with Tkachuk as well. I get it though, it's their off wings. I just don't see off wing as so black and white than others do though. For me it's wing and center that are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Tkachuk has the right players to work with, he can drive the play and be an offensive threat as we have all seen many times, If he doesn't, his talents are wasted...   

 

Ryan isn't a fit there, so maybe Jankowski would be better for now...   and Neal might work better than Bennett at RW with Tkachuk...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If they brought Dube up, I'd even put him with Tkachuk and Jankowski. I'd like to see Mangiapane a try with Tkachuk as well. I get it though, it's their off wings. I just don't see off wing as so black and white than others do though. For me it's wing and center that are. 

 

Dube has quieted down in the AHL.

Lazar is outscoring him, so he needs to put in some harder work down there.

For me, I think it's best that Dube stays down until he's crushing it.

 

12 minutes ago, Carty said:

If Tkachuk has the right players to work with, he can drive the play and be an offensive threat as we have all seen many times, If he doesn't, his talents are wasted...   

 

Ryan isn't a fit there, so maybe Jankowski would be better for now...   and Neal might work better than Bennett at RW with Tkachuk...

 

Obviously, the best fit is the actual 3M line, but that hasn;t been together is so long.

Bennett had a few good games where he added to Tkachuk's game, but mostly it's not happening now.

Backlund was suffering too, which I can blame some on himself for missing open nets.  But he was getting chances.

Tkachuk is becoming invisible, except on the PP.

He is also far better at home than away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This fame didn't seem as important as other BoA match ups. Perhaps it was being short handed 2 key players or the simple fact the Flames have played so well it's essentially put the oilers rivalry on the back burner. Whereas Oilers fans/media are treating this as their biggest win of the year !? Pretty boring game overall and you could tell the B2B caught up with the Flames, still not a bad showing considering who we were missing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

trade him

I didnt get to see the game last night bu saw these comments and decided to take a look today.  I’m a Bennett fan but have been disappointed with the lack of point production in recent games.  He started well on the 2nd line but given his skills I dont understand why the point production is falling off. 

 

These comments in my view were based on a couple of neutral zone giveaways where agreed he should have been better but he was trying to gain the red line and they didnt result in a quality chance against.  He did save a likely goal as a result of a Ryan turnover and the goal against was again the result of a Ryan turnover.  In my view Ryan was brutal and that is likely why Peters pulled him of the line .  Bennett also had a good breakout pass to Ryan and created pressure in the first period.  In the 2nd he got a shot at center and the line created alot of pressure.  

 

Ryan was bad, Neal was bad, Janko had better learn to keep his head up.  Anderson had several give aways and yet Bennett is getting called out.  I don’t see it.  I still question Backlund’s offensive ability.  As a second line center.  

 

In general the team looked flat likely a result of the recent games.  Gio was massively missed.  

 

Finally - get rid of Peluso.  He got rocked and then let Lucic kick his butt. He looked brutal out there.  

 

Just a different view, still frustrated with Bennett’s lack of points.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched more of the third.  The second line drew penalties and had several scoring chances and Bennett was integral to all.  I thought he was one of the better players on the ice.  Alao thought Brodie played well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see what happens Wednesday, but I honestly see no reason to react to this game at all or make any decisions. I would swap Ryan with Janko but I would have done that as soon as Backlund was out anyway. 

 

The B2B thing is only 1 element, but looking back it's really been a murderous schedule on the Flames for 2 weeks now. They've played ever 2nd night since the 28th of November with a road trip thrown in there and several very good hockey clubs too. Then let's throw in losing our best defensive center and number 1 dman for the last 2 games at the end of that schedule. They still managed to really limit McDavid and you could probably argue were the slightly better team on the night. 

 

Rest up and they'll be fine Wednesday. Sure losing to the Oilers sucks but with their schedule it was probably a foregone conclusion. Tough game to win. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 89Again said:

I didnt get to see the game last night bu saw these comments and decided to take a look today.  I’m a Bennett fan but have been disappointed with the lack of point production in recent games.  He started well on the 2nd line but given his skills I dont understand why the point production is falling off. 

 

These comments in my view were based on a couple of neutral zone giveaways where agreed he should have been better but he was trying to gain the red line and they didnt result in a quality chance against.  He did save a likely goal as a result of a Ryan turnover and the goal against was again the result of a Ryan turnover.  In my view Ryan was brutal and that is likely why Peters pulled him of the line .  Bennett also had a good breakout pass to Ryan and created pressure in the first period.  In the 2nd he got a shot at center and the line created alot of pressure.  

 

Ryan was bad, Neal was bad, Janko had better learn to keep his head up.  Anderson had several give aways and yet Bennett is getting called out.  I don’t see it.  I still question Backlund’s offensive ability.  As a second line center.  

 

In general the team looked flat likely a result of the recent games.  Gio was massively missed.  

 

Finally - get rid of Peluso.  He got rocked and then let Lucic kick his butt. He looked brutal out there.  

 

Just a different view, still frustrated with Bennett’s lack of points.

I still think Bennett is a serviceable player. He's not going to become a prolific NHL scorer as he was projected but he's still a solid 3-4 liner. The sooner you take the scorers tag off him the easier it is to appreciate the little things he does on the ice. The kid is still young and he's finally getting support from better linemates. He just needs to improve his playmaking ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Let's see what happens Wednesday, but I honestly see no reason to react to this game at all or make any decisions. I would swap Ryan with Janko but I would have done that as soon as Backlund was out anyway. 

 

The B2B thing is only 1 element, but looking back it's really been a murderous schedule on the Flames for 2 weeks now. They've played ever 2nd night since the 28th of November with a road trip thrown in there and several very good hockey clubs too. Then let's throw in losing our best defensive center and number 1 dman for the last 2 games at the end of that schedule. They still managed to really limit McDavid and you could probably argue were the slightly better team on the night. 

 

Rest up and they'll be fine Wednesday. Sure losing to the Oilers sucks but with their schedule it was probably a foregone conclusion. Tough game to win. 

 

 

I think the B2B is one thing, but 3 in 4 nights is another. I liked that it was close. Rittich have them a chance but it seemed the Flames only had the legs in spurts. 

 

Injuries cant be an excuse because every team gets them to meaningful players. But without Backlund they gotta find a new mix, making the work in progress this team is even more work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

I think the B2B is one thing, but 3 in 4 nights is another. I liked that it was close. Rittich have them a chance but it seemed the Flames only had the legs in spurts. 

 

Injuries cant be an excuse because every team gets them to meaningful players. But without Backlund they gotta find a new mix, making the work in progress this team is even more work.

 

There was little sustained juice from the team.  Gaudreau looked like he was dancing, but very little power from Mony's shots.  Tkachuk was mostly invisible.

The PP was a mess with Brodie out there.

 

I don't know that Backlund would have made the result much different.  For the most part McDavid did very little that wasn't smothered up.  The one goal was a breakdown by two players.  Both Bennett and Brodie focused on a player Ras was covering (Draisaitl), leaving Chaisson free to receive and make a pass.  Brodie has his back to the most dangerous person on the play (McDavid), who is left wide open for an easy pass.

 

The lack of PP's and the quality of the looks just weren't there.  JH can't do much magic from the bench if we spend 10 minutes in the box.  Lopsided officiating, but I don't use that as an excuse, just question the NHL view that all things are equal.  The Oilers were looking for revengem, yet we get called for everything close to a penalty.  JH has two guys draped over him when he is skating for the net, and no call.  After that, he gets buried in the corner and sat on until the play goes the other way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

 

I think the B2B is one thing, but 3 in 4 nights is another. I liked that it was close. Rittich have them a chance but it seemed the Flames only had the legs in spurts. 

 

Injuries cant be an excuse because every team gets them to meaningful players. But without Backlund they gotta find a new mix, making the work in progress this team is even more work.

 

No they are not excuses, but they can be reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Let's see what happens Wednesday, but I honestly see no reason to react to this game at all or make any decisions. I would swap Ryan with Janko but I would have done that as soon as Backlund was out anyway. 

 

I was thinking that they should try that even before Backlund was injured. I think Bennett is taking it as "this year's whipping boy" - I think Backlund's offensive slump has hindered the second line moreso than Bennett. I'd definitely try Jankowski there. Derek Ryan is not the solution, and I don't see anyone in the bottom six that should replace Bennett there, at least, not yet. 

Love.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

 

I was thinking that they should try that even before Backlund was injured. I think Bennett is taking it as "this year's whipping boy" - I think Backlund's offensive slump has hindered the second line moreso than Bennett. I'd definitely try Jankowski there. Derek Ryan is not the solution, and I don't see anyone in the bottom six that should replace Bennett there, at least, not yet. 

Love.  

 

Whipping boy is a little harsh.  Some want to trade him because he's been ineffective.  I just want the coach to move him back down the lineup to where he can contribute better.  He hasn't done a lot since the first three games, starting with the original EDM@CGY battle.  He was a beast for a few games.  Now, he just takes penalties and tries to do things himself.  If he was getting the job done, then I would not question it.  He's added little to Tkachuk's game in the last 5 or 6 games.  

 

Who should replace him is a different story.  Depends on what you want to do with Backlund out.  Keep it as a shutdown line with only one original member of the 3M line?  They've struggled to keep the other teams off the boards.  Turn it into an offensive line?  Wrong setup.

 

You could take away some of the defensive responsibility and play Neal and Janko there.  See if the scoring starts coming in at EV.  Then you have Bennett and Ryan taking some of the defensive responsibility and have lines including them and Mangiapane and Quine and Czarnik and Hathaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

There was little sustained juice from the team.  Gaudreau looked like he was dancing, but very little power from Mony's shots.  Tkachuk was mostly invisible.

The PP was a mess with Brodie out there.

 

I don't know that Backlund would have made the result much different.  For the most part McDavid did very little that wasn't smothered up.  The one goal was a breakdown by two players.  Both Bennett and Brodie focused on a player Ras was covering (Draisaitl), leaving Chaisson free to receive and make a pass.  Brodie has his back to the most dangerous person on the play (McDavid), who is left wide open for an easy pass.

 

The lack of PP's and the quality of the looks just weren't there.  JH can't do much magic from the bench if we spend 10 minutes in the box.  Lopsided officiating, but I don't use that as an excuse, just question the NHL view that all things are equal.  The Oilers were looking for revengem, yet we get called for everything close to a penalty.  JH has two guys draped over him when he is skating for the net, and no call.  After that, he gets buried in the corner and sat on until the play goes the other way.

 

The one thing Backlund does well is get play going the other way. That helps Tkachuk a lot. It trickles down the lineup. So we miss that a little bit (or a lot if you subscribe to possession metrics). 

 

If Backs scores on some of those misses, it’s different.

 

i noticed that too, about the holding and hooking on Gaudreau and other players.

 

but for some reason, the puck couldn’t settle on most of the team’s sticks last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

 

I was thinking that they should try that even before Backlund was injured. I think Bennett is taking it as "this year's whipping boy" - I think Backlund's offensive slump has hindered the second line moreso than Bennett. I'd definitely try Jankowski there. Derek Ryan is not the solution, and I don't see anyone in the bottom six that should replace Bennett there, at least, not yet. 

Love.  

 

The only player I would, could be Mangiapane only because he has what could be top 6 skill. Some won’t go there because of LW/RW. It would be good to see him with a line that creates space off of each other. Maybe it is harder to do well against tougher competition though. 

 

I think the Flames are deep, but maybe not as deep as we think? The D is good, the top4 forwards are great, but against tougher teams, that depth doesn’t produce. 

 

How do they get the bottome 6 going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

The one thing Backlund does well is get play going the other way. That helps Tkachuk a lot. It trickles down the lineup. So we miss that a little bit (or a lot if you subscribe to possession metrics). 

 

If Backs scores on some of those misses, it’s different.

 

i noticed that too, about the holding and hooking on Gaudreau and other players.

 

but for some reason, the puck couldn’t settle on most of the team’s sticks last night. 

 

It's a fair thing to say.  Backlund is clutch in winning D-zone draws, so the puck does move the other way.  Not so much in the O-zone.  IIRC, he's something like 68% in the D-zone.  The lone goal of the game started in the O-zone and ended up a rush with poor coverage.  Draisaitl went to the net and just barely got the pass off to Chaisson, who settled the puck down and fed McD.  Two players uncovered.  Backlund would have recognized one of the players, but the D was on one player only. 

 

One game where the team was tired, but it's not just one game for Bennett.  He has to be better.  Coach recognized his failings in CBG game and cut his minutes and sent him to the 4th line.  That signaled a turnaround.  Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

There was little sustained juice from the team.  Gaudreau looked like he was dancing, but very little power from Mony's shots.  Tkachuk was mostly invisible.

The PP was a mess with Brodie out there.

 

I don't know that Backlund would have made the result much different.  For the most part McDavid did very little that wasn't smothered up.  The one goal was a breakdown by two players.  Both Bennett and Brodie focused on a player Ras was covering (Draisaitl), leaving Chaisson free to receive and make a pass.  Brodie has his back to the most dangerous person on the play (McDavid), who is left wide open for an easy pass.

 

The lack of PP's and the quality of the looks just weren't there.  JH can't do much magic from the bench if we spend 10 minutes in the box.  Lopsided officiating, but I don't use that as an excuse, just question the NHL view that all things are equal.  The Oilers were looking for revengem, yet we get called for everything close to a penalty.  JH has two guys draped over him when he is skating for the net, and no call.  After that, he gets buried in the corner and sat on until the play goes the other way.

 

I thought Gaudreau played a bit selfish last night, way too many individual efforts, there were a few times where he skated right into a group of 4 or 5 Oilers and turned over the puck at the blueline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

 

I thought Gaudreau played a bit selfish last night, way too many individual efforts, there were a few times where he skated right into a group of 4 or 5 Oilers and turned over the puck at the blueline.

 

Maybe, but the other guys were not exactly accepting passes well either.

What's usually a tap in for Monahan or Lindholm was missed twice.

In that case I wish he had been a bit more selfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Maybe, but the other guys were not exactly accepting passes well either.

What's usually a tap in for Monahan or Lindholm was missed twice.

In that case I wish he had been a bit more selfish.

 

I also feel like a lot of his passes weren’t tape to tape either. But everyone was doing that and both, not receiving passes as well, including him.

 

i think it was just one of those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

I also feel like a lot of his passes weren’t tape to tape either. But everyone was doing that and both, not receiving passes as well, including him.

 

i think it was just one of those games.

 

I wonder if EDM is being affected by poor ice again.  They had issues before.

Makes sense, considering Koskinen has shutouts at home, in low scoring affairs.

Every shutout has been at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...