The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

7 minutes ago, Kipper14 said:

65% is being pretty generous to Mony....he is not backchecking, he is not producing, essentially he is just taking up a roster spot and floating around the ice....that might sound harsh but it's kinda the way it is, he's a liability, as you said I think we could be move Benny to top line C he has been the best Flame in this series.

Playing top line with Gaudreau means playing 25-minutes a night.  This is going to change Bennett's game so keep that in mind.  Bennett will have to be more economical and can't go running around hitting everything in sight spending energy chasing hits.

In other words, playing Bennett with Gaudreau means we lose an effective third line grinder.

Time to show everyone why we are the top team in the West. Let's get back to the possession game that made us so successful this year. The best way to shut Colorado's top guys down is by controlling the puck for most of the game.

• Like 2

Only change I can see is Valimaki, which I am in favor of. Fantenberg just hasn't been as reliable as he was in the regular season.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Only change I can see is Valimaki, which I am in favor of. Fantenberg just hasn't been as reliable as he was in the regular season.

Because doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is not insane.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Fanta has been the 2nd best defender on the team. Best has been Hamonic. Gio has been ok, but just ok as a Norris D isn’t good enough. 

I cant see the first line flicking the switch since they’ve not done much since the all star break. It’s what scares me the most. Since the game has gotten tight they’ve not been able to find ice to produce. They need to if we are going to beat them. 

Stay out of the box, skate, and spread ice time around better. The depth has to out score the McKinnon line.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think Fanta has been the 2nd best defender on the team. Best has been Hamonic. Gio has been ok, but just ok as a Norris D isn’t good enough. 

I cant see the first line flicking the switch since they’ve not done much since the all star break. It’s what scares me the most. Since the game has gotten tight they’ve not been able to find ice to produce. They need to if we are going to beat them. 

Stay out of the box, skate, and spread ice time around better. The depth has to out score the McKinnon line.

Ya man.  I hope we can sign Fantenberg this summer and bring him back.  He's been a good bottom pair guy.  Not flashy but steady.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man.  I hope we can sign Fantenberg this summer and bring him back.  He's been a good bottom pair guy.  Not flashy but steady.

and valamaki replaces brodie?? Should be able to get a decent 2nd draft pick for him.. He so reminds me of derek Morris

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Peters has failed miserably with this forward group IMO outside of striking it lucky with Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm in the 1st half of the season and now a great 4th line he has no idea. This top line has gone stale, the Backlund line is ho-hum and the Jankowski line with Bennett/Neal with zero chemistry has done nothing all season. If we get by COL I will be surprised.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Peters has failed miserably with this forward group IMO outside of striking it lucky with Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm in the 1st half of the season and now a great 4th line he has no idea. This top line has gone stale, the Backlund line is ho-hum and the Jankowski line with Bennett/Neal with zero chemistry has done nothing all season. If we get by COL I will be surprised.

I think he failed to get a change on the Gaudreau line. Lindholm looked great, but when it started to dry up, it was the chance to stick with someone different. Now, you can't experiment. It's too late for that. Since the All-Star break the line has been way too slow, way too predictable. Try Lindholm skating up with it? I dunno. 

I don't mind that Monahan and Tkachuck are slow, but we are too slow throughout the lineup. Their can't really be any other slow forwards for this new NHL, mostly because it's hard to create with two slow players on a line. And if they're not crash and bangers by nature, it's not intimidating. They have to score! 

The thing that we did in the regular season that just doesn't work in the playoffs is not scoring first. There were a lot of games where the other team scored first. No playing catch-up. We have been slow starters all year, so we need to bring it right away.

46 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

He's prone to taking penalties, no matter how miniscule they appear.

We can't keep going to the box.

On a side note, Valimaki is no slouch on defense.  He adds a level of speed and offense that Fanta can't provide.  I do think it makes sense to move Brodie back with Gio, since Gio-Ras doesn't have the speed.  We have three pairs that have at least one skater and one solid defender.

Not really worried about the top line.  They are going to have to put in the effort to win, and they are capable of it.  5v5, they should be more dominant.  The results haven't been there, but that happens.  They can get up for a big game.  We'll probably see a hattie from JH or Monahan tonight.  If not, it will be Mangiapane's line that gets the job done.  I'm not worried.

One thing we have been missing so far and that's the defense stepping up and contributing.  Ras is the only D with more than a single point.

I was willing to give Fantenberg another chance but he has really struggled so far in this series. Can't single him out in a game where the team played so poorly but he got beat hard multiple times and woudn up taking penalties becuase he had nothing else to do. Don't mind putting Valamki in there. 

Overal though I'm not that happy with the job Peters has done so far this series. I don't like that they are sticking with the same lineup, I don't understand why Czarnik is not in there, and his matching and game planning has left a lot to be desired. Colorado has perfectly defended the Flames the last two games and if we don't see any adjustments tonight I think it will be fair to shift some blame Peters way. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think he failed to get a change on the Gaudreau line. Lindholm looked great, but when it started to dry up, it was the chance to stick with someone different. Now, you can't experiment. It's too late for that. Since the All-Star break the line has been way too slow, way too predictable. Try Lindholm skating up with it? I dunno. 

I don't mind that Monahan and Tkachuck are slow, but we are too slow throughout the lineup. Their can't really be any other slow forwards for this new NHL, mostly because it's hard to create with two slow players on a line. And if they're not crash and bangers by nature, it's not intimidating. They have to score! 

The thing that we did in the regular season that just doesn't work in the playoffs is not scoring first. There were a lot of games where the other team scored first. No playing catch-up. We have been slow starters all year, so we need to bring it right away.

The team just needs to bring it instead of having the play brought to them. Obviously I disagree that it's to late to make a few changes for the better . COL isn't afraid to bring a green rookie defenseman in Maker right of the plane into the line up.

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I was willing to give Fantenberg another chance but he has really struggled so far in this series. Can't single him out in a game where the team played so poorly but he got beat hard multiple times and woudn up taking penalties becuase he had nothing else to do. Don't mind putting Valamki in there. 

Overal though I'm not that happy with the job Peters has done so far this series. I don't like that they are sticking with the same lineup, I don't understand why Czarnik is not in there, and his matching and game planning has left a lot to be desired. Colorado has perfectly defended the Flames the last two games and if we don't see any adjustments tonight I think it will be fair to shift some blame Peters way. 

I didn't like the way BP line matched in the first two games.  Waste of talent and missed opportunity.

Czarnik should probably be in over Hathaway.  His penalty was over the edge and really hurt the team.

We should be dominating in games.  We have the depth required.

I suspect BP does have a card he isn't playing right now, though tonight will be one of the last times to play it if the top 6 doesn't show up.

Valimaki over Fanta is probably the right move.

Speed and he has pretty good sense.

No, I don't blame Fanta for the loss at all, but he was being beat.  Speed was his downfall.

Time for the team that scored the 2nd most goals in the league and lead 3rd period scoring by a wide margin to show up.

Forget about individual players and disrupt the speed.

Turn that into transition and attack.

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

and valamaki replaces brodie?? Should be able to get a decent 2nd draft pick for him.. He so reminds me of derek Morris

Brodie has to go.  Multiple reasons though like, we have emerging depth, he's older than these young kids coming up, cap reasons, he's below average when played away from Giordano, etc.  Andersson is trending into our top pair RD and he effectively replaces Brodie next season, if not already.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I would also agree.  At least a 7th D.

Gio, Hanifin, Hamonic, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Fanta.

Not in that order.

The only issue I have right now is the RD.

Fanta supposedly can play that side.  Can Kylington?

Brodie can be traded.  Too much depth to keep him and Hammer.

As well, Hammer plays a more steady RD.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Brodie has to go.  Multiple reasons though like, we have emerging depth, he's older than these young kids coming up, cap reasons, he's below average when played away from Giordano, etc.  Andersson is trending into our top pair RD and he effectively replaces Brodie next season, if not already.  

I will be the one cheering when Brodie is gone and I hope it is soon like this summer. Can't wait!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would also agree.  At least a 7th D.

Gio, Hanifin, Hamonic, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Fanta.

Not in that order.

The only issue I have right now is the RD.

Fanta supposedly can play that side.  Can Kylington?

Brodie can be traded.  Too much depth to keep him and Hammer.

As well, Hammer plays a more steady RD.

We still have Michael Stone signed for one more season at $3.5.  And a 15 team NTC, geez.

Maybe Stone to VGK?  

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Does anyone know how much it is, and how to get tickets to, go watch the game on the Stampede grounds? 

It's only for Home games and it is free. Just expensive to buy anything once your inside

https://www.nhl.com/flames/fans/bringthered

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We still have Michael Stone signed for one more season at $3.5.  And a 15 team NTC, geez.

Maybe Stone to VGK?  

A couple of teams will need to reach the cap floor.

Worst case scenario is a buyout at $1.16m for two years.

If he was good enough to play on this team, he would be. 

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A couple of teams will need to reach the cap floor.

Worst case scenario is a buyout at $1.16m for two years.

If he was good enough to play on this team, he would be. 

I'm optimistic though. 

There are a handful of teams that can make a one year commitment to a veteran RHS RD for a bottom pairing role.  Especially if we are willing to retain $1-mil or so.  And i feel Stone will be willing to waive his NTC to go anywhere because he's only 28.  He will want a good opportunity to showcase he still belongs in the NHL going into UFA rather than be the 8th D on the Flames all season. 

I don't think we need to buy him out.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I'm optimistic though. 

There are a handful of teams that can make a one year commitment to a veteran RHS RD for a bottom pairing role.  Especially if we are willing to retain $1-mil or so.  And i feel Stone will be willing to waive his NTC to go anywhere because he's only 28.  He will want a good opportunity to showcase he still belongs in the NHL going into UFA rather than be the 8th D on the Flames all season. 

I don't think we need to buy him out.

I think that is worse case scenario.

We could trade him to EDM for Poolparty and he would be in their top 4.