The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm optimistic though. 

There are a handful of teams that can make a one year commitment to a veteran RHS RD for a bottom pairing role.  Especially if we are willing to retain $1-mil or so.  And i feel Stone will be willing to waive his NTC to go anywhere because he's only 28.  He will want a good opportunity to showcase he still belongs in the NHL going into UFA rather than be the 8th D on the Flames all season. 

I don't think we need to buy him out.

VGK would be a good target. Engelland is done after this season.

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Not too mention he could reunite with his bro Mark...pretty decent incentive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Not too mention he could reunite with his bro Mark...pretty decent incentive. 

I think Vegas will keep Engelland to be honest, but yeah maybe they are a fit but given the Vegas cap situation we would have to retain half on Stone

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Except they are in cap hell.

Clarkson is the only thing keeping them compliant.

They would need to send us equal or more in salary.

Haula for Stone?  Sure.

They have RFA's to sign Karlsson, Nosek, Gusev, Subban.

Carpenter, Bellemare and Pirri as UFA's.

They can sign Engelland to another 1 year deal.

They probably didn;t want to go two years with his age.

He's played as good as ever. 

Is it just me or did our defense all of sudden all start playing like a team of Kris Russell's? I don't think I have seen our defense give up the blueline as easy as they have in this series.

Have to give Colorado credit, I think everyone underestimated their speed. I for one didn't think they had the depth that they have. Compher has been very good in this series. Their defense is using their size very well to limit Calgary's ability to cycle the puck and they are winning the 50/50 puck battles.

No Offence Calgary Went into this playoffs and as soon as they did they started playing like tools they forgot how they played all season

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Except they are in cap hell.

Clarkson is the only thing keeping them compliant.

They would need to send us equal or more in salary.

Haula for Stone?  Sure.

They have RFA's to sign Karlsson, Nosek, Gusev, Subban.

Carpenter, Bellemare and Pirri as UFA's.

They can sign Engelland to another 1 year deal.

They probably didn;t want to go two years with his age.

He's played as good as ever. 

Every team as to deal with their own cap situations. Moves are not made in a vacuum. It was just a suggestion worthwhile asking.

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Is it just me or did our defense all of sudden all start playing like a team of Kris Russell's? I don't think I have seen our defense give up the blueline as easy as they have in this series.

Have to give Colorado credit, I think everyone underestimated their speed. I for one didn't think they had the depth that they have. Compher has been very good in this series. Their defense is using their size very well to limit Calgary's ability to cycle the puck and they are winning the 50/50 puck battles.

Last night was a better effort but still way to many brain cramps happening. It also doesn't help when officials let all their "minor" penalties slide and hit us with every "minor" infraction. Some days you have to beat the other team and the officials. I didn't underestimate COL's speed however the failure is like STL they have gotten better as the season progressed, we as a team did not. If you don't hit to slow speed down it will kill you and this is part of what is happening. I am not sure what BP's game plan is but we don't have the smarts to carry it out it seems.

If Monahan is fighting injuries he should sit out, he is killing us laboring around out there. Brodie has to go this offseason, I just can't take this guy's stupidity ay longer.

Should we lose this series I can see a number of changes required.

One positive from last night was Valimaki, I thought he looked very good out there. Poised with the puck, there was no panic in his game, and the stage wasn't too big for him, very good signs for next year and for his future on the blueline.

• Like 3

I'm at a total loss..

Can't blame the Goalie , changing to Rittich now would just be a shakeup.. not sure Rittich could have made saves that Smith didn't. 

Top line is invisible ..has been since the break, .. an injury is the only excuse I'll give Monahan right now 

I'm officially disappointed in Neal , wanted to give him benefit of the doubt until playoffs , but so far he's been a non factor 

For me?

I'd sit Neal, TJ, and Jankowski next game .. Czarnik, Kyllington and Dube in -- shuffle as necessary , but get some speed in all the lines .. Czarnik went on a tear when he replaced Neal last time 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

One positive from last night was Valimaki, I thought he looked very good out there. Poised with the puck, there was no panic in his game, and the stage wasn't too big for him, very good signs for next year and for his future on the blueline.

If you care about fancy stats, the "3rd" pairing was the only pair that was positive.  In fact, Ras led the team in shot generation.

They played the exact same way they have all season long, especially Ras.

They never backed off and rarely had chances with them out there.

The negative for me has been Backlund's play this entire series.

He looks lazy out there when he goes on offense.

Once the puck goes the other way, he is toast.

Two OT's in a row he's been a difference maker the wrong way.

Sorry but you can't win a game if you limit ice to other effective players by overplaying someone unable to stop their top line.

Damn....sounds like were almost back to the “blow it all up” stage. Gaudreau is pretty much a 100pt player, there aren’t many in the league so you’d have to find a comparable in cap and production. I get why JH is getting ragged on but really the credit should go to the Avs. BP should have been better prepared to assume he won’t have JH’s dynamism in the playoffs with the limited time and space. 

Players we should move, Brodie , Backlund and Neal can go. Somehow we’ll have to figure out how to acquire or develop players better suited for playoff hockey. Seems like everyone except for Smitty saved their best hockey for the regular season

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We lost two OT games.  We were two shots away from being up 3-1.

+1.

It ain't over until it's over! Playoffs are all about fighting through adversity. So let's do that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wish it were that simple and clean but we’ve also allowed a mind blowing 50+ shots in back to back games. Both OT losses were also comeback losses! It’s not over but the tale of the tape hasn’t been pretty. 

So what are the big differences between game 1 and game 3? Was it more of Calgary stepping back or Colorado stepping up? I just can't wrap my head around the fact it was the same 2 teams in games 1 & 3. Even in the beginning of game 4 it looked like the Flames wanted to win, then in the last 10 minutes the energy wasnt there.  Whatever the reason if tomorrow is the last game I hope they fight to the bitter end.

Unlike others who have written off the team already (dont let the door hit your a** on the way out), I'll be clinging to blind faith until the last second ticks off. I've been a fan too long and seen alot worse over the years too be talking that nonsense, besides the '13 Hawks and '14 Kings came back from 3-1 and 3-0 respectively to win the cup.

Go Flames!!

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

2 shots and 5 mins away from being up 3-1 or at worst tied 2-2. 

I get it because i'm very frustrated too, morose because you know the Flames are better than this, but despite not being at there best it could have easily broke their way. I don't think this is over as in the past the Flames have been able to go on runs after finding their game. 

37 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So what are the big differences between game 1 and game 3? Was it more of Calgary stepping back or Colorado stepping up? I just can't wrap my head around the fact it was the same 2 teams in games 1 & 3. Even in the beginning of game 4 it looked like the Flames wanted to win, then in the last 10 minutes the energy wasnt there.  Whatever the reason if tomorrow is the last game I hope they fight to the bitter end.

For me it was a steady decline. I didn't think the Flames were very good in game 1. I thought they looked tentative and wha'ts plagued them the last 2 games was there. They weren't breaking out very clean, compete level was not great but they made up for it with their PP, Smith, and a better Defensive game. I think the Avs took alot of confidence out of Game 1 in that they didn't play there best but they were right there and they've built on that every since.

I think Game 3 was just a shell shock as it happened to fast the bang your down 3-0, the crowds in it, they are just flying at you and the Flames just couldn't calm down. The answer was just to try to match it however they could and they broke down all over the place and just got mentally defeated. But for me this series has been about the Flames inability to breakout clean, their inability to backcheck and thus give too much space to the Avs and all those problems were there in Game 1, it just got progressively worse. 

Edit: as soon as I finished this I came across a fantastic article that does a much better job of explaining it than I did. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/avalanche-beating-flames-game/

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For me it was a steady decline. I didn't think the Flames were very good in game 1. I thought they looked tentative and wha'ts plagued them the last 2 games was there. They weren't breaking out very clean, compete level was not great but they made up for it with their PP, Smith, and a better Defensive game. I think the Avs took alot of confidence out of Game 1 in that they didn't play there best but they were right there and they've built on that every since.

I think Game 3 was just a shell shock as it happened to fast the bang your down 3-0, the crowds in it, they are just flying at you and the Flames just couldn't calm down. The answer was just to try to match it however they could and they broke down all over the place and just got mentally defeated. But for me this series has been about the Flames inability to breakout clean, their inability to backcheck and thus give too much space to the Avs and all those problems were there in Game 1, it just got progressively worse. 

Edit: as soon as I finished this I came across a fantastic article that does a much better job of explaining it than I did. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/avalanche-beating-flames-game/

I get/agree with what you are saying except for the part about their inability to backcheck.  The only thing preventing them from backchecking is effort. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I get/agree with what you are saying except for the part about their inability to backcheck.  The only thing preventing them from backchecking is effort. 

And I would absolutely agree that lack of effort has been a big problem in this series. Colorado has significantly more intensity to their game and the flames have struggled to match it 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

And I would absolutely agree that lack of effort has been a big problem in this series. Colorado has significantly more intensity to their game and the flames have struggled to match it 

I liked yesterday , but they were still buzzing around us pretty good.

Id say we absolutely need to get Czarnik in the lineup tomorrow.. this is his kind of game

Game 1, 2, and 3 was the Flames showing a load of complacency driven by the arrogance afforded by their regular season success. This fueled their lack of urgency.  

Game 4 was better but only for 50-minutes.

For once this season, the Flames face true adversity.  Game 4 was adversity but this is technically the final game of the season if they lose.  Let's see how they respond.

The Flames can certainly win 3-straight.  They've done it before and they were even undefeated against the Avs in the regular season.  

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So what are the big differences between game 1 and game 3? Was it more of Calgary stepping back or Colorado stepping up? I just can't wrap my head around the fact it was the same 2 teams in games 1 & 3. 

It was the first period of game 2 where Giordano was at the point holding the line when he got popped good.  He went down and froze for a second and I swear the dome froze with him.  He did manage to get back up and back to the bench.  I don't think there was ever a replay of it and no one made mention of it again. 

Since that hit, I don't think Gio has been quite the same.  He hasn't really joined the rush.  He hasn't been able to hold the zones as we are used to seeing.  Plus, they hit Gio high every chance they get (as they should).

Given Monahan also looks hurts and I suspect Giordano too, that's two of our best four players not at 100%.  No excuse I understand because Rantanen crawled into the series barely able to stand.

But just something to consider.

So if Monahan is playing through an injury, that'll be the 2nd year in a row that he has seen his game take a nose dive due to injury. That's a bit concerning to me because it's not like he plays a hard game, and is throwing his body around or is always battling.

If he isn't injured than it is more than concerning, because he is our number 1 center and he has been absolute dog shirt this series.

Let's see a big bounce back from our 1st line and win 3 straight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

So if Monahan is playing through an injury, that'll be the 2nd year in a row that he has seen his game take a nose dive due to injury. That's a bit concerning to me because it's not like he plays a hard game, and is throwing his body around or is always battling.

If he isn't injured than it is more than concerning, because he is our number 1 center and he has been absolute dog shirt this series.

Let's see a big bounce back from our 1st line and win 3 straight.

If he is injured it’s because he lets other teams take liberties and the refs don’t call the hacks and cross checks anymore. 

Everyone says speed and mental toughness win you games and cups, but not if your best goal scorer gets injured 2/3s into the season and can barely finish the year. 

Great on him to try play through it. Sure that’s tough. But look at guys like Marchand who rarely get injured, are slight in size but plays with a ton of speed and skill. 

I just can’t see a bounce back from that line because of the way they’ve played down the stretch run. They just don’t have it!