The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

Right now it isnt just that line though there gonna need some Goals from all lines or contributions to force bedards hands more to line match he is matching with our top line and that is really drying up our scoring get scoring from other places and it forces there coach to change things aswell

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So if Monahan is playing through an injury, that'll be the 2nd year in a row that he has seen his game take a nose dive due to injury. That's a bit concerning to me because it's not like he plays a hard game, and is throwing his body around or is always battling.

If he isn't injured than it is more than concerning, because he is our number 1 center and he has been absolute dog shirt this series.

Let's see a big bounce back from our 1st line and win 3 straight.

I don't see the injury, unless it's groin.

His skating looks a bit slower than anything else.

He's engaged in the play, but looks a step behind.

He's not in the usual places that JH passes to.

Should be interesting if they keep Bennett on the top line tonight.

He's a bulldog.

Maybe not the greatest hands, but he goes to the spots that JH can dish the puck to.

As far as the defense, there are two guys that are tougher than nails and would never show they are injured.  Ras and Hammer.

Both just skate away after a hard hit or a nasty block.

Ras has imprssed me the most of the the D.

Rookie leading the scoring among the D, and his +/- is even.

Considering that his points all came on the PP, that is impressive.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't see the injury, unless it's groin.

His skating looks a bit slower than anything else.

He's engaged in the play, but looks a step behind.

He's not in the usual places that JH passes to.

Should be interesting if they keep Bennett on the top line tonight.

He's a bulldog.

Maybe not the greatest hands, but he goes to the spots that JH can dish the puck to.

As far as the defense, there are two guys that are tougher than nails and would never show they are injured.  Ras and Hammer.

Both just skate away after a hard hit or a nasty block.

Ras has imprssed me the most of the the D.

Rookie leading the scoring among the D, and his +/- is even.

Considering that his points all came on the PP, that is impressive.

Another thing that Bennett does well is gain the blueline. Might take some of the pressure off Gaudreau. Let Bennett carry the puck over the blueline draw in 2 or 3 defenders, take the hit leaving Gaudreau and Monahan room to make plays.

• Like 1

They always Say the 4th game is the hardest to win in a series now we will see when calgary Brings Full power if the avs can keep up

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Gutsy call , and 100% agree with it !  He just doesnt have it in this series, and Czarnik has what we need .. speed and hands 

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-flames-make-james-neal-a-healthy-scratch-tonight-to-keep-postseason-alive 

Need to try something different. Backs against the wall.

Go FLAMES Go

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

4 more years at $5.75.

Cant put my finger on it .

He cant have just suddenly forgotten how to play .

He's not been on the top lines in the past,

Cant be the speed cuz Vegas was a fast team too, as was Pittsburgh

Its almost as though he has the Bennett effect , the only thing left is wrong linemates .. he needs a playmaker center 

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Its almost as though he has the Bennett effect , the only thing left is wrong linemates .. he needs a playmaker center 

I don't think he ever would have signed here if BT told him he would be playing 3rd line or not at all. I'm sure they will be dealing with this in the offseason, Neal won't be a Flame next season.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think he ever would have signed here if BT told him he would be playing 3rd line or not at all. I'm sure they will be dealing with this in the offseason, Neal won't be a Flame next season.

wouldn't be surprised at all to see Neal brodie and Monahan in detroit next year.. with Stevie y being named g.m. today.. 

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

and that may very well be, but doesn't explain why he fell off a cliff this year .. especially playoffs , thats where he shines . He not been a top line player in the past so its not like hes been a passenger getting that many 20 goal seasons . So many times I see him going to spots he should be but the play goes around him .. its a serious chemistry issue.

Kind of like Iggy - Jokkinen all over again .. you got a shooter playing with shooters 

- assuming he doesn't demand a trade himself, which I can see, I see it more likely they address a playmaking center 

This neal issue reminds me of the same scenario as hamonic it took him a couple years to catch on with the flames and it could very well be the same with neal

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

4 more years at $5.75.

I think we need to shut the books down on free agent frenzy so BT can’t sign anyone. I suppose Ryan has worked out though. 

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

This neal issue reminds me of the same scenario as hamonic it took him a couple years to catch on with the flames and it could very well be the same with neal

This Neal scenario reminds me of Tony Amonte and Owen Nolan.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't know what to tell you.

Last year Bennet had a down season playing with Janko, but they both got 15+ goals each.

Mind you, Janko scored 4 in one meaningless game.

Ths year another down season for Bennett, 4 of his 13 goals scored on the PP.

Janko with 5 of his 14 goals scored shorthanded. 

Neal has 19 points playing with those two almost exclusively.

The fit isn't there.

Can't remember the last time he had a shot from the right circle with speed.

Too late to fix in this round.

BP had all year to address it.

Winning makes you accept certain things, but the last month should have been when he made adjustments.

Top line not scoring.

Tkachuk having trouble.

Backlund not looking great.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know what to tell you.

Last year Bennet had a down season playing with Janko, but they both got 15+ goals each.

Mind you, Janko scored 4 in one meaningless game.

Ths year another down season for Bennett, 4 of his 13 goals scored on the PP.

Janko with 5 of his 14 goals scored shorthanded. 

Neal has 19 points playing with those two almost exclusively.

The fit isn't there.

Can't remember the last time he had a shot from the right circle with speed.

Too late to fix in this round.

BP had all year to address it.

Winning makes you accept certain things, but the last month should have been when he made adjustments.

Top line not scoring.

Tkachuk having trouble.

Backlund not looking great.

I'm totally with you there . on this season I give BP a B (which is a huge improvement)

where i think he slipped was not experimenting enough when things were really good..

Blowouts are nice, but when you get up that much, that's when id put Neal on the top line, give Lindholm some shifts at center etc..

You're right by the time we stumbled it was too late ..

Tho i disagree on Backlund, yes he had some mistakes last game but Id say hes been one of our top 4 players this series

29 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm totally with you there . on this season I give BP a B (which is a huge improvement)

where i think he slipped was not experimenting enough when things were really good..

Blowouts are nice, but when you get up that much, that's when id put Neal on the top line, give Lindholm some shifts at center etc..

You're right by the time we stumbled it was too late ..

Tho i disagree on Backlund, yes he had some mistakes last game but Id say hes been one of our top 4 players this series

What I was talking about was from March 15 or so onward.

No adjustments made.

Tkachuk and Backlund suffered.

Regarding this series, Backlund has not been able to stop McKinnon.  He's -4, on for 6 goals scored.

He's the only C that's less than 50%, by a wide margin. 

All of his points were on the PP.

He's not been the worst, but he's not getting the job done.

I felt Backlund really failed to live up to the challenge of shutting down MacKinnon. 

To preface and be a bit fair, Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen just proved to the world they are the best line in the world right now.  It wasn't just Backlund who couldn't stop this line.  No one in the NHL has been able to.

That said, I still think this puts a blemish on Backlund's resume as an elite shut down guy.  He can only move forward as an above average shut down guy and not among the best of the best.  The Avs top line simply dominated and dominated consistently.

In the end, Backlund is no Stephane Yelle, Kris Draper, John Madden, Mike Richards, etc.

Ok all these panic issues do have some merit, we have all seen and questioned through the year...some honesty are minor issues that can be fixed, the biggest issue in my opinion is:

you cant let this team rest, they are like an old reliable engine, takes a while to turn over but once it starts you run it cause you know it’s gonna take a while to turn over if you turn it off 

I’m not sure why this team is like this or how to change it?

in any even obvious BT has some questions 

Monahan....his disappearance tricks at the end of the season

Neil’s fit here? 

Goaltending...I’m thinking Smith needs to upgrades and replaced he is getting older 

And obviously Brodie, love the guy but he dose have brain farts at the worst time 

there are other areas to look at too but those seem to be the pressing ones the only crappy deal is we had a good season so we don’t have a great draft pick 😞

19 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

and that may very well be, but doesn't explain why he fell off a cliff this year .. especially playoffs , thats where he shines . He not been a top line player in the past so its not like hes been a passenger getting that many 20 goal seasons . So many times I see him going to spots he should be but the play goes around him .. its a serious chemistry issue.

Kind of like Iggy - Jokkinen all over again .. you got a shooter playing with shooters 

- assuming he doesn't demand a trade himself, which I can see, I see it more likely they address a playmaking center 

I believe situations such as this with Neal build up from things said, to how you get used, to te effects on relationships. I'm guessing Neal signed here because of what BT told him and the extra year on his contract. I think he was convinced he would play with Gaudreau and Monahan. In steps Peters who has other ideas of using Lindholm on that line for his own good reasons. Peters doesn't like him with Tkachuk and Backlund but he also didn't like Frolik there either. Peters makes up a line of (as you say all shooters) Bennett, Jankowski and Neal (nothing going on here) end of story. Mentally Neal checks out, should we expect this NO, does it happen YES.

I think it would be best to find a trade mainly because I don't think he will want to play for Peters.

If he stays I honestly think the line to assemble is Tkachuk (playmaker), Bennett (puck carrier, solid board and front of the net worker) and Neal (experienced player and sniper)

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I believe situations such as this with Neal build up from things said, to how you get used, to te effects on relationships. I'm guessing Neal signed here because of what BT told him and the extra year on his contract. I think he was convinced he would play with Gaudreau and Monahan. In steps Peters who has other ideas of using Lindholm on that line for his own good reasons. Peters doesn't like him with Tkachuk and Backlund but he also didn't like Frolik there either. Peters makes up a line of (as you say all shooters) Bennett, Jankowski and Neal (nothing going on here) end of story. Mentally Neal checks out, should we expect this NO, does it happen YES.

I think it would be best to find a trade mainly because I don't think he will want to play for Peters.

If he stays I honestly think the line to assemble is Tkachuk (playmaker), Bennett (puck carrier, solid board and front of the net worker) and Neal (experienced player and sniper)

No disagreement there .and if the exit interview shows that Neal wants out then we should accommodate him, but 100% he was not supported this year (not saying he helped his own cause , cuz he didnt ). If moving him means retaining salary then No , he stays and we support him with the right linemates next year 

I really think if the team can make it a mission to go get a playmaking 2nd line center ..life gets a whole lot better for everybody 

Only issue I have with Bennett, as a center , is that to me he falls into the shooter mode too.. he likes to carry the puck and bull his way in .. id be more open to moving LIndholm to center in that scenario 

I can see a scenario of :

JG - MONY  LINDHOLM

TKACHUK - PLAYER X - NEAL

DUBE - BACKLUND - BENNETT

MANG - RYAN - HATHAWAY

LAZAR

CZARNIK

JANKO

we can figure that X position , suddenly you have 2 potent scoring lines, each suited to a different style of play 

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

No disagreement there .and if the exit interview shows that Neal wants out then we should accommodate him, but 100% he was not supported this year (not saying he helped his own cause , cuz he didnt ). If moving him means retaining salary then No , he stays and we support him with the right linemates next year 

I really think if the team can make it a mission to go get a playmaking 2nd line center ..life gets a whole lot better for everybody 

Only issue I have with Bennett, as a center , is that to me he falls into the shooter mode too.. he likes to carry the puck and bull his way in .. id be more open to moving LIndholm to center in that scenario 

I can see a scenario of :

JG - MONY  LINDHOLM

TKACHUK - PLAYER X - NEAL

DUBE - BACKLUND - BENNETT

MANG - RYAN - HATHAWAY

LAZAR

CZARNIK

JANKO

we can figure that X position , suddenly you have 2 potent scoring lines, each suited to a different style of play 

I disagree only because I think Bennett has grown as a player and can do the things a C should do for a line especially when Tkachuk is there as the playmaker. bennett works hard every shift and can be the distraction needed for the other two to do their things.

This is where Monahan falls down as a C for the top line, he is not an aggressive board worker nor is he a distraction enough to matter other than being a known scorer requiring coverage. Lindholm IMO is our best overall player and the change I would make on this line is having him at C and Monahan on RW. Monahan isn't fast enough to be a 200' C.

This fixes the two top lines but I wouldn't stop there if we could afford a real good 3rd line to better compliment Backlund. I want to see BT go out and get Dzingel LW and Kapanen RW both speed winger wit some size and good overall talent.

• Like 1

I see our collapse as lack of adjustment from a stubborn coach.

We saw the team struggling the end of the year.

Zero adjustment.

Smith played the better of the two goalies near the end of the season, but Rittich was not handled properly.

He should have been made ready.

Games 1 and 2 were all due to Smith playing really well.

But we lost on a stoppable shot.

And that's the thing.

Smith played well enough for a regular season win in 3 of 5 games, but not for the playoffs.

Lose two games by letting the team back with less than 3 minutes then a "perfect" shot in OT.

Not saying Rittich plays any better or wins any of those games, but games are decided by rebounds and "perfect" shots.

Letr's thank Smith for his contributions this season and move on.

It’s really a shame. This season we had so many things fall into place. We had the offense and depth, we had 2 good goalies, we were healthy pretty much all year! Even our conference was having a down year which allowed us to seize the division, conference and earn home ice “advantage”. I’m not sure we could have had more help or a better path to the Cup than we had this year.