The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

Landeskog was listed as 4-6 weeks on March 8th after a collision with Bishop. But he played the last 4 or 5 games of the regs.

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Landeskog was listed as 4-6 weeks on March 8th after a collision with Bishop. But he played the last 4 or 5 games of the regs.

Loubardias was saying last week he’s heard Landeskog is playing far from 100%, very likely he’s playing through something significant 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Loubardias was saying last week he’s heard Landeskog is playing far from 100%, very likely he’s playing through something significant 

He played in the last 5 with 1G and 5A, averaging about 22 mins/gm.

Hopefully Peter has a different definition of "far" than I do.

I don't believe what anyone says this time of year.:lol:

My Nightmare

In the first minute of the game, Mike Smith goes all the way out to the blue line to challenge, and the puck carrier just skates around him and scores. When Rittich comes out to replace him, a rut in the ice causes Rittich to sprain his ankle. An obscure rule in the NHL rule book still applies, and Smith isn't allowed back in net. We lose the game because "Bob" sucked in net.

My Dream

Peters confuses everyone by putting out our fourth line. Mangiapane skates like the wind to score the fastest NHL playoff goal ever. Monahan scores more goals in a game than any other centre in the league. We beat Colorado 4 games to 1. I win free playoff tix of course. 

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I also agree that we have a solid club. I remember when the Flames didn't really get the proper attention they deserved when we had the '89 team. If that team couldn't get no respect, then I really don't ever expect it.

I am trying to think this through like an Av fan. I suppose you try to deploy the top line on the pp, try to get the right matches at home, use your speed ... and then I run out of ideas. I guess you try and exploit goaltending with as many shots as possible. What does Colorado have that they can use to win this series?

Run and gun will burn them.

They can try to play shut down, but they aren;t built fo it.

Not that that is our game either, just we are better at locking down the ice.

My concern will be in nets, just like it was at the start of the season.

If Smith gets game 1, he better be ready to stop 20 or 30 shots; not tested much or peppered.

I hope it's not a shutout for Smith because he consistently struggles after one.

If the Flames win game 1, then they will fix what didn;t work and move on.

If the Flames don;t win or it's really close, then they make big adjustments.

To me, it makes more sense to start Rittich and see what he does.

Have Smith as the backup plan.

That way, you don;t rely on puck handling by the goalie and only bring it in if you need it.

As well, it leaves you unscouted for the series.

You can deploy 2 if you like, with Rittich being better on the road.

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

And hasn't Landeskog been out for several weeks?

Landeskog played ~ the last 5 games of the season and scored a point a game.  Seems to be reasonably healthy.  

Would be ironic if the finals ended up being Calgary Flames vs. TB Lightning. Their fates forever tied! We’d be in tough...and so would they!

I am starting to wonder if BP has a strategy with the starting goalie.

Has never come out and said Smith is the starter.

Usually, that is known in advance.

Keep the decision close to your chest.

Give some tidbits to Eric Francis.

Put Smith in the "starter net" Monday before the Thursday game.

Have COL scouring tape of Smith and his tendencies.

Announce the starter the night before, or maybe even game day.

This s about playing the game, not just playing hockey.

Use any form of delusion you can.

BP has been known to get the columnists to figure out the answer to their questions.

Blogger - "The top pairing had a rough night"

BP - "Who was that pair?"

Blogger - "Brodie and Gio struggled".

BP - "Oh, so you decided that based on the 24 minutes they played?".

As I have stated, I want the guy who will win to get the starter net.  I have no idea who will win, or get game 1 and beyond.  Just stating that what you see isn;t always what you get, especially in the playoffs.  I would imagine COL is practicing against Smith tactics.  Tight to the boards on clearing.  Avoid dumping along the boards.  Blocking the goalie when he tries to get back in the net.  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I am starting to wonder if BP has a strategy with the starting goalie.

Has never come out and said Smith is the starter.

Usually, that is known in advance.

Keep the decision close to your chest.

Give some tidbits to Eric Francis.

Put Smith in the "starter net" Monday before the Thursday game.

Have COL scouring tape of Smith and his tendencies.

Announce the starter the night before, or maybe even game day.

This s about playing the game, not just playing hockey.

Use any form of delusion you can.

BP has been known to get the columnists to figure out the answer to their questions.

Blogger - "The top pairing had a rough night"

BP - "Who was that pair?"

Blogger - "Brodie and Gio struggled".

BP - "Oh, so you decided that based on the 24 minutes they played?".

As I have stated, I want the guy who will win to get the starter net.  I have no idea who will win, or get game 1 and beyond.  Just stating that what you see isn;t always what you get, especially in the playoffs.  I would imagine COL is practicing against Smith tactics.  Tight to the boards on clearing.  Avoid dumping along the boards.  Blocking the goalie when he tries to get back in the net.  

I’m convinced Smitty gets Game 1. He’s the only one with playoff experience, he’s a vet it’s also out of respect. Rittich hasn’t been playing his best hockey of late, likely just wearing down as the season progressed. I’m fine putting BSD in as soon as Smith lets in a softy or just get caught out playing the puck again

1 minute ago, rickross said:

I’m convinced Smitty gets Game 1. He’s the only one with playoff experience, he’s a vet it’s also out of respect. Rittich hasn’t been playing his best hockey of late, likely just wearing down as the season progressed. I’m fine putting BSD in as soon as Smith lets in a softy or just get caught out playing the puck again

7 years ago dude.

Great experience way back then.

You and I both know that the starter will get the game regardless of the score.

As far as respect, I don;t think that matters to a coach trying to win.  That players respect both goalies.  They will do their best no matter who.

Cetain teams favor certain goalies.

We will see.

As I said, I think there's as much misinformation as info right now.

Smith starts in game 82.  Expected that goalie would start game 1.

Did he play well enough to bet the season on?

Does he continue to defy the pundits?  

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

7 years ago dude.

Great experience way back then.

You and I both know that the starter will get the game regardless of the score.

As far as respect, I don;t think that matters to a coach trying to win.  That players respect both goalies.  They will do their best no matter who.

Cetain teams favor certain goalies.

We will see.

As I said, I think there's as much misinformation as info right now.

Smith starts in game 82.  Expected that goalie would start game 1.

Did he play well enough to bet the season on?

Does he continue to defy the pundits?  

I’m with ya! I don’t think Smith has proven to be the deserved starter but I think a coach also knows when experience matters. It’s the nerves, The physicality and intensity of the playoffs , especially Game 1...make Smith the most qualified. 

His stick work has been beaten to death but it’s a factor against a fast and skilled team. I’m sure BP will want to see how it might disrupt the Avs forecheck and creates opportunities off the rush for us. Guys will be going hard...maybe too hard, maybe Smith helps find some seams. 

He could also be a disaster or get injured early on...in comfortable with Rittich if that’s the case. I just know your goalie needs ice cold nerves in the playoffs, not saying Rittich isn’t dialed in but he’s still a rookie in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Did we want him at low mileage for the playoffs?

It's what we wanted. Breath. lol

I will breathe after game 2.  :lol:

Again, my point is what the coach will do is anyone's guess.

Would it surprise or shock you if they went with Rittich?

Peters seems pretty sly.

The talking heads have been going on about Smith this and Rittich that, how the goalie situation is our achiles heel, how we have to score to cover up other issues.

Looking for any way to discount what the Flames are and have done.

I doubt the Avs feels the same way, but they are looking for any thing they can use to beat us.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I will breathe after game 2.  :lol:

Again, my point is what the coach will do is anyone's guess.

Would it surprise or shock you if they went with Rittich?

Peters seems pretty sly.

The talking heads have been going on about Smith this and Rittich that, how the goalie situation is our achiles heel, how we have to score to cover up other issues.

Looking for any way to discount what the Flames are and have done.

I doubt the Avs feels the same way, but they are looking for any thing they can use to beat us.

Either one is a good choice. The team as a whole has to play well if this team wants to win. This is how their season has unfolded. You make it sound like Rittich will put up zeros and Smith 3 or 4 goals which isn't going to be the case.

CALGARY -- Bill Peters wouldn't reveal if Mike Smith or David Rittich would start for the Calgary Flames in Game 1 of the best-of-7 Western Conference First Round series against the Colorado Avalanche at Scotiabank Saddledome on Thursday (10 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS).

"We'll tell you Thursday," the Flames coach said after practice Monday. "We're going to go with the guy that gives us the best chance to win."

Smith and Rittich split time throughout the season. Rittich went 27-9-5 with a 2.61 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in 45 games (42 starts); Smith went 23-16-2 with a 2.73 GAA and .898 save percentage in 42 games (40 starts).

[RELATED: Complete Flames vs. Avalanche series coverage]

Smith started seven of the final 11 games of the regular season and had a 1.94 GAA and .916 save percentage in his final 11 starts. He allowed two goals or fewer in 10 of his last 13 starts. 

Rittich, who is in his second full season in the NHL, has yet to appear in the playoffs. Smith has 19 games of playoff experience, including three games with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2011 and 16 in 2012 when he helped the Phoenix Coyotes advance to the Western Conference Final. 

"It's been seven years since I've been in the playoffs and honestly, it feels like yesterday that I was playing in Arizona and we were playing in the Conference Final," Smith said. "It goes by fast."

The Flames (50-25-7) won the Pacific Division and finished with the best record in the Western Conference for the first time since 1988-89, when they won their only Stanley Cup.

"I remember laughing at the older guys when I was 24, 25, saying, 'Yeah right…I'll be here forever,'" Smith said. "Now I'm 37 trying to tell these younger guys that and they're probably looking at me the same way I looked at the older guys back then. It's an unbelievable opportunity. 

"These are the games you want to be in."

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This means Rittich, is in fact, injured?:unsure:

If I wore a tinfoil hat, maybe.

Heat eliminated from playoffs, though the season still has a 5 days remaining.

Supposedly, this is a recall to have a 3rd goalie available for the playoffs.

Allows them to rest goalies before games and still run a full practice.

Valimaki, Prout, Stone, Czarnik, Dube, Quine and Gillies part of the Black Aces.

Dube still on emergency recall until Bennett and/or Monahan suit up for a game, then has to be converted to regular recall.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If I wore a tinfoil hat, maybe.

Heat eliminated from playoffs, though the season still has a 5 days remaining.

Supposedly, this is a recall to have a 3rd goalie available for the playoffs.

Allows them to rest goalies before games and still run a full practice.

Valimaki, Prout, Stone, Czarnik, Dube, Quine and Gillies part of the Black Aces.

Dube still on emergency recall until Bennett and/or Monahan suit up for a game, then has to be converted to regular recall.

But it's an emergency recall, which I assume to mean they don't have 2 goalies to dress??

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

This means Rittich, is in fact, injured?:unsure:

This must have been sent out in error, because it no longer exists. Form the Flames press release on their website it says nothing about it being on emergency basis.

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But it's an emergency recall, which I assume to mean they don't have 2 goalies to dress??

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This must have been sent out in error, because it no longer exists. Form the Flames press release on their website it says nothing about it being on emergency basis.

I didn't even notice the "emergency" part of that release.

I saw this one, so didn't even look twice.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-recall-jon-gillies-from-stockton/c-306602016?tid=282300716

It's slow hockey time.

That's a 2017 tweet.

If we're going on a run, I'm just trying to prep the mods. Watch twitter handles and dates. Because they can be clever.

Sorry for being a dick about it, the deeper we go the worse it'll get.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 3:16 AM, JTech780 said:

It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of disrespect that Calgary is getting from the media. Basically nobody outside of Calgary is giving this team a chance in the playoffs, even going as far as to say that the Flames are the most likely team to get upset. I am going to go out on a limb and say they haven't watched too many Flames games this year.

On NHL Radio PP today Barnaby was Flames in 5, Koulias in 6.

Carry on...

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's slow hockey time.

That's a 2017 tweet.

If we're going on a run, I'm just trying to prep the mods. Watch twitter handles and dates. Because they can be clever.

+1...   :lol:

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's slow hockey time.

That's a 2017 tweet.

Cortex does the official NHL assignment/transactions for the Flames.

.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #Flames have recalled goaltender Jon Gillies from the @AHLHeat. https://cflam.es/2Z25zBC 

ekt4Qast?format=jpg&name=600x314

No worries, I keep tabs on twitter (as does Jtech and others), so there will always be someone fact checking.  

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Cortex does the official NHL assignment/transactions for the Flames.

.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #Flames have recalled goaltender Jon Gillies from the @AHLHeat. https://cflam.es/2Z25zBC 

ekt4Qast?format=jpg&name=600x314

No worries, I keep tabs on twitter (as does Jtech and others), so there will always be someone fact checking.  

You mean from now on? It gets awfully busy when you're a successful team.

Most don't remember them days, so rely wholly on peeps. lol. Sorry Peeps!

Trash Talk...