The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

Nice Game 1 win, took awhile for things to open up but we slowly started to take the game over. Avs will absolutely crash the net on Saturday night. Flames cannot allow them to steal a home game away from us. Let’s get this series over with in 4-5 games, and watch everyone else beat themselves up in the meantime. 

Great 1st game by Smitty, he set the tone for the boys.

Go FLAMES Go

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rickross said:

Nice Game 1 win, took awhile for things to open up but we slowly started to take the game over. Avs will absolutely crash the net on Saturday night. Flames cannot allow them to steal a home game away from us. Let’s get this series over with in 4-5 games, and watch everyone else beat themselves up in the meantime. 

The only reason it took so long was the barage of PP's the AVS had.  We had the game early, up 6-2 in shots and then the two PP's they had put it to 7-6 by the end of the first.  I was not concerned with their PP, since we attacked them efficiently and defended pretty well.  At 5v5 we pretty much dominated most of the game.  If we can keep things outside, then they can try to crash the net if they like.  They tried a few times and Smith is big enough to stop a lot of that.

Smith has some confidence now, so I hope that the team doesn't sit back.  In the past, he's followed up shutouts with less than stellar games.  I don't think that's an issue playing the same team, but they have to communicate and not assume anything.  

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only reason it took so long was the barage of PP's the AVS had.  We had the game early, up 6-2 in shots and then the two PP's they had put it to 7-6 by the end of the first.  I was not concerned with their PP, since we attacked them efficiently and defended pretty well.  At 5v5 we pretty much dominated most of the game.  If we can keep things outside, then they can try to crash the net if they like.  They tried a few times and Smith is big enough to stop a lot of that.

Smith has some confidence now, so I hope that the team doesn't sit back.  In the past, he's followed up shutouts with less than stellar games.  I don't think that's an issue playing the same team, but they have to communicate and not assume anything.  

Only team to shut out an opponent in the post season thus far! Defense wins games. Smitty is a playoff beast, he'll fumble the puck once or twice but his skills handling the puck are bar none the best out there, so mistakes will happen 1/100. Hopefully he can repeat his stellar performance again, otherwise, I'm ok with rittich coming in an stealing a few games as well. 

If we can stay out of the box we can win this in 5 games easy. 

Columbus is just manhandling Tampa so far and the Jets are in big trouble now. It’s been an unpredictable 1st round as usual. I think we really need to keep an eye on the Vegas vs Sharks..it’s looking like this is going to 7 games. The Blues are the truth! Binnington has really helped them turn things around...Blues worry me the most out of all the western teams right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Columbus is just manhandling Tampa so far and the Jets are in big trouble now. It’s been an unpredictable 1st round as usual. I think we really need to keep an eye on the Vegas vs Sharks..it’s looking like this is going to 7 games. The Blues are the truth! Binnington has really helped them turn things around...Blues worry me the most out of all the western teams right now. 

Once the Blues adjusted to Winnipegs game they've basically taken over. Holes showing in Hellys game doesnt help, if it was the Hellybuck of last year the series is at least tied. Tampa and Winnipeg going out in the first round will severely hoop so many playoff pools.

Edit:  Not mine tho.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Once the Blues adjusted to Winnipegs game they've basically taken over. Holes showing in Hellys game doesnt help, if it was the Hellybuck of last year the series is at least tied. Tampa and Winnipeg going out in the first round will severely hoop so many playoff pools.

Edit:  Not mine tho.

You have to wonder what the fallout would be should they get booted in the 1st rd, especially a sweep. I can’t see them firing Maurice but there’ll definitely be some pretty big roster changes in Winnipeg. They’ll most definitely lose a quality player to the expansion draft 

2 hours ago, rickross said:

At this point I don't even know who I would like to face in round 2.  Sharks or VGK?

MAF is the better goalie and it would be a tough series.  

Jones can be good and the Sharks have so many weapons.

The Blues are exploting the holes, and playing like they have played for the last month.

Unfortunately, so is WPG.

Tampa.  What to make of a team that didn't rest any players.  A team that had the most penalties in the league.

They are on the ropes, going into CBJ.

CBJ just has to take away the middle of the ice and continue to score on PP's.

I don;t see a sweep, but I also don;t see Tampa coming back to win in 7.

Toronto.  Oh my.  Win a game and you think the cup is theirs.

Marner pricing himself off the team for being too good.

What did Matthews eat for breakfast?

How good is player X.

Rask was really bad.  That is all.  No other reason needed.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

At this point I don't even know who I would like to face in round 2.  Sharks or VGK?

MAF is the better goalie and it would be a tough series.  

Jones can be good and the Sharks have so many weapons.

The Blues are exploting the holes, and playing like they have played for the last month.

Unfortunately, so is WPG.

Tampa.  What to make of a team that didn't rest any players.  A team that had the most penalties in the league.

They are on the ropes, going into CBJ.

CBJ just has to take away the middle of the ice and continue to score on PP's.

I don;t see a sweep, but I also don;t see Tampa coming back to win in 7.

Toronto.  Oh my.  Win a game and you think the cup is theirs.

Marner pricing himself off the team for being too good.

What did Matthews eat for breakfast?

How good is player X.

Rask was really bad.  That is all.  No other reason needed.

Tampa coasted the entire season, they were rarely challenged this year and easily secured their playoff spot. CBJ on the other hand had to scrap and claw their way into the playoffs and it shows. They are by far the hungrier team right now, I think Tampa became complacent after hearing so much talk of them being an elite team all season. It’s going to be hard for them to find the intensity required to comeback down 2 games

28 minutes ago, rickross said:

Tampa coasted the entire season, they were rarely challenged this year and easily secured their playoff spot. CBJ on the other hand had to scrap and claw their way into the playoffs and it shows. They are by far the hungrier team right now, I think Tampa became complacent after hearing so much talk of them being an elite team all season. It’s going to be hard for them to find the intensity required to comeback down 2 games

Kucherov suspended one game doesn;t help them one bit.

I was reading where the teams that were able to beat them were the ones that took away the middle.

CBJ seems to be doing that plus exploting their penalty troubles.

How do we respond to a heartbreaker on home ice? Fortunately I think the Avs played as good as they possibly can and we weren’t as good as we could be

Gonna be a long series

Would like to see a little more dominance from the top line for us too

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

How do we respond to a heartbreaker on home ice? Fortunately I think the Avs played as good as they possibly can and we weren’t as good as we could be

Gonna be a long series

Would like to see a little more dominance from the top line for us too

Let's just focus on playing our game for a change.  Line matching didn;t really benefit us that much, so let's focus on scoring goals and not playing a hard hitting game.  Let Bennett and Neal do that.  Don't get suckered into the rough stuff unless you are looking for them to take a retaliation penalty.  Write down the license plate and get them later.  Who was it that hacked JH's glove off?  Compher?  Remember him.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Let's just focus on playing our game for a change.  Line matching didn;t really benefit us that much, so let's focus on scoring goals and not playing a hard hitting game.  Let Bennett and Neal do that.  Don't get suckered into the rough stuff unless you are looking for them to take a retaliation penalty.  Write down the license plate and get them later.  Who was it that hacked JH's glove off?  Compher?  Remember him.

Sounds like Girard is hurt which could be a benefit. Who’s playing top 4 LD for them then, Cole lol

I honestly feel like some of our lackluster play could be due to nerves.....Saddledome is rocking, got the entire city's hopes pinned on us and we are probably gripping our sticks a little bit, I am kinda of glad we play the next two on the road....get outta the pressure cooker environment and just focus on our game, Pepsi Center will be fired up the the Avs are going to be the ones with that pressure.

That being said Peters needs to make some adjustments....Avs have certainly come up with an effective gameplan against us so far, Brodie needs to sit....I am not sure if Peters would do it but the guy is an absolute liability out there it's actually really scary.....that giveaway to Landeskog for a breakaway and his blown play on the PP leading to the shorty....YIKES!

Nobody expects to win the Cup going 16-0 so losses will happen, we just need to regroup, adjust and go get em tomorrow night!

• Like 1

Brodie was responsible for one goal against.

Backlund was on the ice for every single goal against.

Gio was on for the tying and GWG.

Backlund was the only Flame below 50% on the dot.

Lindholm was 5/6 in the D-zone.

With Smith playing as good as he was, it was a winnable game.

EN and we can;t even survive 5 seconds after the faceoff.

Do what you have to do to clear the puck.

Letting them get position wasn't an option.

I love what Mike Smith’s been doing for us, but I haven’t liked our game in front of him yet. 

BP needs to get the troops to forget they’re playing the Avs, and go out there and play for themselves. Play for each other. Challenge them to bring their A game, and guarantee success will follow if they do. That’s Tortorella’s recipe in CBJ. Forget you’re playing Tampa and go out there and play your game. Play to win. It doesn’t matter who the opponent is. That’s what we’ve been missing so far. That’s what Johnny, Mony, and Lindy had going for them earlier in the year. Forget your opponent and just go out there and do what you need to do to win. 

7 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I love what Mike Smith’s been doing for us, but I haven’t liked our game in front of him yet. 

BP needs to get the troops to forget they’re playing the Avs, and go out there and play for themselves. Play for each other. Challenge them to bring their A game, and guarantee success will follow if they do. That’s Tortorella’s recipe in CBJ. Forget you’re playing Tampa and go out there and play your game. Play to win. It doesn’t matter who the opponent is. That’s what we’ve been missing so far. That’s what Johnny, Mony, and Lindy had going for them earlier in the year. Forget your opponent and just go out there and do what you need to do to win. 

I think tomorrow is a good test for Peters, what adjustments will he make? COL has been the better team through 2 games, how can we fix that?

Odd man rushes haven't even been close either, the Avs have had so many dangerous chances, ours have been far easier saves for their goalie. Thank goodness for Smith playing awesome

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think tomorrow is a good test for Peters, what adjustments will he make? COL has been the better team through 2 games, how can we fix that?

Odd man rushes haven't even been close either, the Avs have had so many dangerous chances, ours have been far easier saves for their goalie. Thank goodness for Smith playing awesome

So, line matching by BP goes out the window.

It hasn't been a difference maker because you limit your offense to play against the big guns.

Backlund wasn't able to contain the top line at all last game as it is.

So, forget about matching and play hockey the way we have been successful.

Considering we are very good on the road, that should not be an issue.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Brodie was responsible for one goal against.

Brodie was moved down with Fantenberg in the third period after all the blunders...

...Only to have Andersson make a misread in OT which left Giordano to defend a 2-on-1 and MacKinnon to score the winner.

Sometimes when you don't deserve to win, you just don't deserve to win no matter what tweaks you make in game.  We have to be better as a group and it wasn't just one or two guys who lost us game 2.

In thpe 1 st game after the 1st 10 minutes we took away time and space. Second game all we did was back off no pressure never forced them to mske mistakes. Game two was so much like a Gully coached system i nearly gaged watching it. For this club to be succussful take away time and space, turn the dand make them pay. Puck possesion, is pivital. The kack of intensity in 2 nd game was ming numbing. imho they took the game to lightly, they need to step on their throats and keep pushing till it breaks. Play like they did in game 2, start booking tee times. Also, have stated for a few years now Brodie is a waste of a roster spot. The guy has the hockey iq of an empty bottle 

• Like 2

Peters mentioned today he may make some minor tweaks to the lineup tomorrow

Andersson to 1st pair

Tkachuk to 1st line?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Brodie was moved down with Fantenberg in the third period after all the blunders...

...Only to have Andersson make a misread in OT which left Giordano to defend a 2-on-1 and MacKinnon to score the winner.

Sometimes when you don't deserve to win, you just don't deserve to win no matter what tweaks you make in game.  We have to be better as a group and it wasn't just one or two guys who lost us game 2.

Actually, wasn't it Ras that had to defend against Mac?

Mac passed him full speed and went to the circle and shot.

It wasn't so much a 2 on 1 as it was Mac having enough of a step to take the shot.

Smaith wasn;t playing pass, and there really wasn't a pass there.

Regardless of the blunders, Brodie only caused one goal.

We had 3 scored against us.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Actually, wasn't it Ras that had to defend against Mac?

Mac passed him full speed and went to the circle and shot.

It wasn't so much a 2 on 1 as it was Mac having enough of a step to take the shot.

Smaith wasn;t playing pass, and there really wasn't a pass there.

Regardless of the blunders, Brodie only caused one goal.

We had 3 scored against us.

The way I saw it was the reaction time to the play was delayed by about three players. Ras, Gio and Backlund. They got caught watching on a good scoring chance that came back and then didn’t react fast enough to get on the play. Backlund even kinda stopped skating back on the play where he might’ve gotten to help close a gap. 

The flames dont defend this eay all the time, but enough to cost them once in awhile. Like on the game tying goal. The coverage and reactions were horrible then too. That draw in our own zone is kind of what cost the game. There were already many times this year where they’ve lost their coverage on D zone draws.  

In the playoffs the attention to the details need to be right on. And that costs you chances at cups. 

I get it, it is McKinnon... but still, those are the plays you gotta be ready for. 

I agree with Tmac, gotta get on them and force their play, regain possession. They played a near perfect game defensively against us in that sense. But I also think there was very little puck support on breakouts, and maybe a lack of communication?

So we played ok in game 1 and we had no problems beating the Avs. We played like crap in game 2 and the Avs still needed a lucky bounce and 6 skaters to tie it and OT to beat us.

We got this.

• Like 1