The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The way I saw it was the reaction time to the play was delayed by about three players. Ras, Gio and Backlund. They got caught watching on a good scoring chance that came back and then didn’t react fast enough to get on the play. Backlund even kinda stopped skating back on the play where he might’ve gotten to help close a gap. 

The flames dont defend this eay all the time, but enough to cost them once in awhile. Like on the game tying goal. The coverage and reactions were horrible then too. That draw in our own zone is kind of what cost the game. There were already many times this year where they’ve lost their coverage on D zone draws.  

In the playoffs the attention to the details need to be right on. And that costs you chances at cups. 

I get it, it is McKinnon... but still, those are the plays you gotta be ready for. 

I agree with Tmac, gotta get on them and force their play, regain possession. They played a near perfect game defensively against us in that sense. But I also think there was very little puck support on breakouts, and maybe a lack of communication?

I still think we are wasting these games by playing defensive hockey (Gully prevent offense).  All it does is make sure you are focused on not being creative and backing off in the O-zone.  COL is a team that has one play.  Play offense and hope you don't lose.  Flames are more balanced, yet we played back.

We had the 2nd most goals in the league for a reason.  Gru is not that good.  We are giving up the offense to try to shut down McKinnon, and that didn't work in game 2.  I also didn't think it was the right thing to do in game 1, but at least we scored a few times more.  Backlund was overused in both games and it showed.  That line can't be expected to score and shut down the top line for 20+ minutes.

There is no reason why the DAG line can't be out there.  They create turnovers and can score.  They draw penalties.  They have the league 2nd best faceoff guy.  

Instead of worrying about what forwards are on the ice, worry about what your 5-man unit looks like; who are the best D to play with the 3F.  Is line X struggling with pairing Y.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Regardless of the blunders, Brodie only caused one goal.

Yeah, but he did it when we are on PP. He singularly cost us that goal. If he didn't, the final score would've been 2-1 Flames and no OT. I know it is a team game but if someone like Brodie who is a huge liability all year, should not be put with a responsibility on the top pair. He is a great third pair on our team and that is where he belongs. Anderson is better and smarter than Brodie on the top pair so why can't we use him? I know Anderson is young but I trust him more than I trust Brodie. I want Brodie gone next season if I have my way. Sorry, I'm just not Brodie fan at all and my apology to anyone who is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DHT said:

Yeah, but he did it when we are on PP. He singularly cost us that goal. If he didn't, the final score would've been 2-1 Flames and no OT. I know it is a team game but if someone like Brodie who is a huge liability all year, should not be put with a responsibility on the top pair. He is a great third pair on our team and that is where he belongs. Anderson is better and smarter than Brodie on the top pair so why can't we use him? I know Anderson is young but I trust him more than I trust Brodie. I want Brodie gone next season if I have my way. Sorry, I'm just not Brodie fan at all and my apology to anyone who is.

Brodie also passed the puck backwards and gave up a shorthanded chance and Smith bailed him out.  

I would trade Brodie in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Brodie also passed the puck backwards and gave up a shorthanded chance and Smith bailed him out.  

I forgot about that one. :mad:

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You mean where Landeskog intercepted the pass from Brodie to Ras?

Or is that another one?  :) 

If you are talking trades, that is fine.

Best chance to win is to have Brodie's strengths used more and his weaknesses not used.

Covering the line is a weakness.

Flatfooted skating is a weakness.

Of course Brodie had a bad game but to single him out as any type of reason is ridiculous. I could start a list of all the players who were bad in either game and were equally "responsible" for goals against. Fact that the only change Peters is making is to move Brodie is silly IMO because you've got quite a few players you need more from but sure let's pin it all on Brodie.

Hanifin

LIndholm

Monahan

Neal

and Jankowski

Have all been pretty sub par so far for the Flames in the series. Would probably add Game 2 Johnny Gaudreau to that list too. Game 1 I thought Backs and Fro wre great but game 2 they weren't very good. I'm not worried, I just don't think the "answer" to any of the questions is let's swap Brodie for Ras and were good. Need more from most of the team and I was hopefully Peters would have made a coupe of other changes tonight. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Of course Brodie had a bad game but to single him out as any type of reason is ridiculous. I could start a list of all the players who were bad in either game and were equally "responsible" for goals against. Fact that the only change Peters is making is to move Brodie is silly IMO because you've got quite a few players you need more from but sure let's pin it all on Brodie.

Changing Brodie from one pair to the next solves nothing.

I hated the fact we were playing not to lose.

Too safe and predictable.

The PP's have managed to score goals and the PK is getting the job done.

That doesn't make the PP's dangerous.

The 4th line is the only line that has played well in both games.

Not that you should break up the lines, but maybe rethink the usage of the lines.

Janko has not been effective in moving the needle.

Neal is getting very few chances.

Bennett is trying to do things himself.

Maybe Neal should play with Ryan and Mangiapane.

Maybe Bennett should play with Backs and Tkachuk.

A minor change to the roster after two games where we didn't dominate.

This isn't the right thread, but I would lean towards a bit of a shakeup:

JH-Mony-Lindholm (no point changing this line as they should work out the issues)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal (Neal needs players to actually feed him the puck)

Frolik-Janko-Hathaway  (Frolik either sticks and makes them better or gets charged up and goes back to 3M line)

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Changing Brodie from one pair to the next solves nothing.

I hated the fact we were playing not to lose.

Too safe and predictable.

The PP's have managed to score goals and the PK is getting the job done.

That doesn't make the PP's dangerous.

The 4th line is the only line that has played well in both games.

Not that you should break up the lines, but maybe rethink the usage of the lines.

Janko has not been effective in moving the needle.

Neal is getting very few chances.

Bennett is trying to do things himself.

Maybe Neal should play with Ryan and Mangiapane.

Maybe Bennett should play with Backs and Tkachuk.

A minor change to the roster after two games where we didn't dominate.

This isn't the right thread, but I would lean towards a bit of a shakeup:

JH-Mony-Lindholm (no point changing this line as they should work out the issues)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal (Neal needs players to actually feed him the puck)

Frolik-Janko-Hathaway  (Frolik either sticks and makes them better or gets charged up and goes back to 3M line)

Everything you have here is knee jerk reactions. Simply put we got outplayed because we didn't skate and play our game.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Everything you have here is knee jerk reactions. Simply put we got outplayed because we didn't skate and play our game.

My changes were based on observations of the players involved.

Mangiapane and Ryan did more with less minutes than the 3rd line.

Bennett was a force when he played, but the support he got was limited.

Janko did little other than the PK.

I think part of the reason for changing Brodie is because it will be harder to get the matchups we want.

Time to stop worrying about the matchups as much and just let our depth beat their depth and just push the pace. 

They are playing MacKinnon 26mins a night because they have no depth. We will just wear them out with our depth. Need to set the matchups by putting our top line out there in offensive situations as much as possible.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Hanifin

LIndholm

Monahan

Neal

and Jankowski

Have all been pretty sub par so far for the Flames in the series. Would probably add Game 2 Johnny Gaudreau to that list too. Game 1 I thought Backs and Fro wre great but game 2 they weren't very good. I'm not worried, I just don't think the "answer" to any of the questions is let's swap Brodie for Ras and were good. Need more from most of the team and I was hopefully Peters would have made a coupe of other changes tonight. 

I would add Gaudreau as well. If you’re the guy on the team, which the Monny line are THE GUYS, they need to step it up. Hard to really fault Gaudreau but the line has to try something new or different? 

I feel like this line (& others) were deep up the ice on breakouts leaving very few options. They were pretty much in their lanes at the same depth up ice.

I agree with you! Anyway... need a much better game tonight.

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think part of the reason for changing Brodie is because it will be harder to get the matchups we want.

Time to stop worrying about the matchups as much and just let our depth beat their depth and just push the pace. 

They are playing MacKinnon 26mins a night because they have no depth. We will just wear them out with our depth. Need to set the matchups by putting our top line out there in offensive situations as much as possible.

I agree, as we have been really good on the road.  Strangely enough, we allow fewer goals on the road.  Maybe that's because we just focus on playing the game and let other teams figure out who to cover.   

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

My changes were based on observations of the players involved.

Mangiapane and Ryan did more with less minutes than the 3rd line.

Bennett was a force when he played, but the support he got was limited.

Janko did little other than the PK.

Bennett, Jankowski, Neal has been useless all season. The simplest change would be to swap Ryan for Jankowski and put the Stockton line back together Mangiapane, Jankowski and Hathaway. Dish out ice time on which line is putting out the most.

• Like 1

Through 2 games we are out hitting them, blocking more shots, out shooting them, dominating them in the faceoff dot, beating them in special teams. The one are we are losing is in giveaways, we have 37 giveaways so far in the series, that's has to change. 

• Like 1

3rd game in a row dominating in faceoffs.

Out-hitting them again.

Only 4 giveaways.

Yet, for some reason we can't stop the attack on the rush.

Some of the goals were screens.

Some were rebounds (after the initial great save).

Some were well placed shot on the rush.

I can't remember the last time we had a rush up the ice.

Looks slow and methodical.

Not concerned about being down 2-1 in the series.

Am concerned about making adjustments too late or the players giving up.

This isn't the same as the PITTS game where we outplayed them but gave up easy goals.

They are gonna loose this series for two simple reasons:

1.  An incredibly hot goalie on the Avs...which could be solved or a non isssue if not for the second reason below...

2.  Too much time off leading into the playoffs, chemistry and timing are clearly off for the key players, matter of fact with the exception Bennett, all the “injured” players sitting out are way off...maybe Gio but by his standards he’s off a bit too.  The minor aches help keep you sharp and they should have never rested the core guys...hopefully Peters has learned this lesson, they have proven by the slow start of the season they take time to gel, and there is just no time for them to do that in a playoff series. I mentioned this just before the playoffs started, our biggest problem would be shooting is in the foot...

you need intensity and sharp reaction time that if you take time off, takes twice as long to get back...this why Col is out playing us 

Side note why is Valamaki sitting out in favour of Fantenberg?   Anderson is great game in game out, and keep improving, Gio a little off, Brodie is becoming a liability, hammer is great and Hanafin is kinda invisible but at least not a liability...at this rate I’d consider sitting Brodie, Fantenberg has been better then him by far and quite possibly Hanifin..but Hanafin has had less liability issues...I’d sit Brodie for a game or so, and definitely bring in Valimaki at least for the rest of this series if the Chang makes some difference...Stone would be my second fill in if Hanifin is sat...the rest of the D seems to be ok at least...

up front...that’s a whole other mess and it starts with Monahan and Neil being horrible, followed by an ok group of Backlund, Lindholm and Gaudreau 

Oh and I also thing Janko could be a wee bit better he’s definitely playing better then the first few listed above...

After that, Chucky, Manjapani, Hathaway and Doc are all playing very well...Janko is on the fring to be here but best say he’s playing ok...not quite playoff caliber hockey but close, theses guys are...problem is all of Col’s Team is playing playoff caliber hockey and it shows, that’s why we are getting dominated in all aspects of the last 2 games...lest be honest Flames got luck in game 1 where smith was super hot nothing more 

41 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

They are gonna loose this series for two simple reasons:

1.  An incredibly hot goalie on the Avs...which could be solved or a non isssue if not for the second reason below...

2.  Too much time off leading into the playoffs, chemistry and timing are clearly off for the key players, matter of fact with the exception Bennett, all the “injured” players sitting out are way off...maybe Gio but by his standards he’s off a bit too.  The minor aches help keep you sharp and they should have never rested the core guys...hopefully Peters has learned this lesson, they have proven by the slow start of the season they take time to gel, and there is just no time for them to do that in a playoff series. I mentioned this just before the playoffs started, our biggest problem would be shooting is in the foot...

you need intensity and sharp reaction time that if you take time off, takes twice as long to get back...this why Col is out playing us 

Side note why is Valamaki sitting out in favour of Fantenberg?   Anderson is great game in game out, and keep improving, Gio a little off, Brodie is becoming a liability, hammer is great and Hanafin is kinda invisible but at least not a liability...at this rate I’d consider sitting Brodie, Fantenberg has been better then him by far and quite possibly Hanifin..but Hanafin has had less liability issues...I’d sit Brodie for a game or so, and definitely bring in Valimaki at least for the rest of this series if the Chang makes some difference...Stone would be my second fill in if Hanifin is sat...the rest of the D seems to be ok at least...

up front...that’s a whole other mess and it starts with Monahan and Neil being horrible, followed by an ok group of Backlund, Lindholm and Gaudreau 

Oh and I also thing Janko could be a wee bit better he’s definitely playing better then the first few listed above...

After that, Chucky, Manjapani, Hathaway and Doc are all playing very well...Janko is on the fring to be here but best say he’s playing ok...not quite playoff caliber hockey but close, theses guys are...problem is all of Col’s Team is playing playoff caliber hockey and it shows, that’s why we are getting dominated in all aspects of the last 2 games...lest be honest Flames got luck in game 1 where smith was super hot nothing more 

All just lame excuses. We are not taking the game to COL so they are taking it to us.

• Like 1

So far for me this series comes down to star players. MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog are all taking their games to the next level in the playoffs. Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk are nowhere to be found.

If we want to get out of the 1st round those 3 guys have to show up and show up in a big way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So far for me this series comes down to star players. MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog are all taking their games to the next level in the playoffs. Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk are nowhere to be found.

If we want to get out of the 1st round those 3 guys have to show up and show up in a big way.

I don't think your list of players are long enough. COL's entire team is higher than a kite and their confidence grows as they kick our behinds. We are not skating and we are playing reactionary hockey not like a team that took their game to the opposition most of the season. I couldn't watch the 3rd period last night.

34 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think your list of players are long enough. COL's entire team is higher than a kite and their confidence grows as they kick our behinds. We are not skating and we are playing reactionary hockey not like a team that took their game to the opposition most of the season. I couldn't watch the 3rd period last night.

I couldn't either.

My big issue is that since the playoff appearance was locked up the question from  everyone was goaltending. Who starts? Go with Smittys experience or BSDs numbers?  At present it's now a moot point if whichever goalie is going to face 50+ shots.  Honesty, last night looked like Gully hockey, the Avs adapted after game 1, the Flames didn't adapt after game 2.

Anyway.  GO FLAMES!!!

Reasons why the Flames are going to win the series.

1) Top line scoring - shut out for no good reason.  This is about players moving the puck at speed.  

2) Defense being backed up by the forwards.  They stop blowing the zone.

3) Forwards doing more than skating in circles.

It's not that difficult.  The Flames have not been attacking with speed.  Wear down the D, force them to take penalties.  When you are chasing, you give up chances.  

Well guys, it's been fun.  Game 2 was all you needed to see.  The flames are totally outclassed by the avs in every aspect of the game except maybe goaltending.  Our best players are following the magic man's example and disappearing for the big games, folding under pressure like a cheap piece of paper.  Didn't watch last night, won't watch again this season.  Absolute garbage.

At least the off season will be interesting.  Brodie has to go, I don't care if we have to pay someone to take him.  We should seriously consider trading Monahan too.  30 goal scorers can net you good hauls, and he isn't a playoff performer, so we're better off with someone else.  Maybe we could swap him for Zucker and a draft pick, or something like that.

5 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Well guys, it's been fun.  Game 2 was all you needed to see.  The flames are totally outclassed by the avs in every aspect of the game except maybe goaltending.  Our best players are following the magic man's example and disappearing for the big games, folding under pressure like a cheap piece of paper.  Didn't watch last night, won't watch again this season.  Absolute garbage.

At least the off season will be interesting.  Brodie has to go, I don't care if we have to pay someone to take him.  We should seriously consider trading Monahan too.  30 goal scorers can net you good hauls, and he isn't a playoff performer, so we're better off with someone else.  Maybe we could swap him for Zucker and a draft pick, or something like that.

Feel free to see yourself out.  :) 

We may or may not be done, but fairweather fans fold quicker.

I see two big differences between game 1 and game 2&3,

1. Many Avs players have decided to carry the puck all the way through the neutral zone rather than pass.  This has helped them limit mistakes and we aren't generating the turnovers we are used to.
  2. Our D has been so good all season pinching and holding the points.  We are aggressive like that.  For whatever reason, the Avs have adjusted and not allowed us to do that.  Yet, we haven't counter adjusted.  We are not able to hold the points like we are accustomed to and our game is massively disrupted.