The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

THE PLAYOFFS 2018-19: CALGARY FLAMES EDITION

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Reasons why the Flames are going to win the series.

1) Top line scoring - shut out for no good reason.  This is about players moving the puck at speed.  

2) Defense being backed up by the forwards.  They stop blowing the zone.

3) Forwards doing more than skating in circles.

It's not that difficult.  The Flames have not been attacking with speed.  Wear down the D, force them to take penalties.  When you are chasing, you give up chances.  

1) Monahan looks injured so there is reason for the top line not scoring.  The solution is to change the lines and play Gaudreau with someone else.  Maybe that's Bennett or maybe Lindholm slides to the middle.

2) Monahan and Backlund have been brutal on the back check.  Backlund especially because his main assignment is MacKinnon and he doesn't seem to cover MacKinnon with enough urgency.

3) Bringing the puck to the front of the net has been our problem all season.  When teams collapse tight to their goalie and keep us to the outside, we don't have enough perimeter shooting talents to make them respect our shots.  We don't call their forward to come out and challenge our point shots.  We can't move their box.  We cannot create the space in front of the net.

42 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Well guys, it's been fun.  Game 2 was all you needed to see.  The flames are totally outclassed by the avs in every aspect of the game except maybe goaltending.  Our best players are following the magic man's example and disappearing for the big games, folding under pressure like a cheap piece of paper.  Didn't watch last night, won't watch again this season.  Absolute garbage.

At least the off season will be interesting.  Brodie has to go, I don't care if we have to pay someone to take him.  We should seriously consider trading Monahan too.  30 goal scorers can net you good hauls, and he isn't a playoff performer, so we're better off with someone else.  Maybe we could swap him for Zucker and a draft pick, or something like that.

Would you not have to watch game 3 to have the credibility behind what you just said?

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Feel free to see yourself out.  :) 

We may or may not be done, but fairweather fans fold quicker.

Will do.  If the definition of a fairweather fan is someone who doesn't enjoy watching their favourite team getting pummeled into oblivion by an 8th seed, then I accept that mantle.

I watch hockey to get away from my stress, and enjoy a break from the grind.  Maybe I'm too emotionally invested, but watching the team disintegrate so quickly is adding more stress to my life right now, and given where I am at with my mental health, I just can't do it.

I envy those who can still watch right now, so power to you, truly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I see two big differences between game 1 and game 2&3,

1. Many Avs players have decided to carry the puck all the way through the neutral zone rather than pass.  This has helped them limit mistakes and we aren't generating the turnovers we are used to.
  2. Our D has been so good all season pinching and holding the points.  We are aggressive like that.  For whatever reason, the Avs have adjusted and not allowed us to do that.  Yet, we haven't counter adjusted.  We are not able to hold the points like we are accustomed to and our game is massively disrupted.

I agree and the only thing that I would add is this is happening because of the lack of a backcheck and pressure in the neutral zone from the forwrads. When you don't have support your only recourse as a dman is to back off and respect the speed. Can't stand up and try and force a turnover when you don't have any backup so instead the Flames D is having to back off and give them the blueline and start collapsing towards the net. This is especially important with Mackinnon because she is so quick he can either keep it going towards the net, which means the 2nd wave is wind open (see Makarr goal last night) or it means he has open space to shoot (see OT goal). Doesn't help that Monahan and Jankowski have both been terrible in the series. Backs has been up and down too. 

I see it as a combination of the Flames have really overlooked the Avs so they are not matching the intensity, and the 2nd part is I think too many of the forwards are trying to play the big physical game and forgetting about their assignments. They are taking themselves out of position for big hits and the Avs are gladly eating the hits and just moving the puck to the now wide open middle of the ice where they can exploit their speed. Flames need to stop playing a game they are not built for and play their game that won them 50 plus games. 

• Like 2

We have lost 2 games in a 7 game series.

Does a win in game 4 make any difference?

I didn't like the way we have played.

I mostly miss the team game we used to play.

What I am seeing is a team that doesn't know what to do to win.

Did they forget how to beat the AVS?

They are not that good.

They are just outplaying us and making us look bad.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have lost 2 games in a 7 game series.

Does a win in game 4 make any difference?

I didn't like the way we have played.

I mostly miss the team game we used to play.

What I am seeing is a team that doesn't know what to do to win.

Did they forget how to beat the AVS?

They are not that good.

They are just outplaying us and making us look bad.

That is what you look like when you get away from what made you successful. Hopefully they figure it out and come away with a split there.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree and the only thing that I would add is this is happening because of the lack of a backcheck and pressure in the neutral zone from the forwrads. When you don't have support your only recourse as a dman is to back off and respect the speed. Can't stand up and try and force a turnover when you don't have any backup so instead the Flames D is having to back off and give them the blueline and start collapsing towards the net. This is especially important with Mackinnon because she is so quick he can either keep it going towards the net, which means the 2nd wave is wind open (see Makarr goal last night) or it means he has open space to shoot (see OT goal). Doesn't help that Monahan and Jankowski have both been terrible in the series. Backs has been up and down too. 

When Monahan is on his game, he's back checking hard and using his long reach to create turnovers.  He's very effective with his stick.  This is mostly absent this series. He's not back checking.  He's always behind the play.  He's not using his stick.

Backlund is coasting out there.  Has MacKinnon's speed tired him out?  Backlund appears to be playing "economically" and/or conserving energy.  He can't keep up with MacKinnon (can't blame him as not many can).

Jankowski just doesn't drive play as a Center.  He should move to the wing.

Lindholm is not looking around.  In game 2 OT, he let his guy go.  Lost sight of him.  Plus his stick keeps breaking on the PK and it's cost us.

Ryan has been our best Center.

I think we need to try some roster tweaks, Mike Smith has been giving it his all and he hasn't lost the crease due to performance, but in the spirit of shaking things up I think we need to give Rittich the start in Game 4.....he has proven success against the Avs this season....maybe that would provide us with a boost knowing how well Ritter did against them this year.

I also think we need to take a guy or two out of the lineup.....Neal does not bring the speed we need right now....and he is icing the puck like crazy, I say sit him for Game 4 and bring in Czarnik. Other possible moves could be bringing Kylington in for Fantenberg.

I would love to be a fly on the wall around the Flames right now....what is being done to correct this? What is Peters saying to the big guns/team to light a fire under them? 

One thing is for sure, tomorrow is essentially Game 7 for this team, I don't see the Avs losing 3 straight games the way they are playing so we lose tomorrow it could just be a matter of time before we are dusting off the golf clubs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

3rd game in a row dominating in faceoffs.

Out-hitting them again.

Only 4 giveaways.

Yet, for some reason we can't stop the attack on the rush.

Some of the goals were screens.

Some were rebounds (after the initial great save).

Some were well placed shot on the rush.

I can't remember the last time we had a rush up the ice.

Looks slow and methodical.

Not concerned about being down 2-1 in the series.

Am concerned about making adjustments too late or the players giving up.

This isn't the same as the PITTS game where we outplayed them but gave up easy goals.

Ya, and maybe we are saying the same thing? 

When we get a rush, it does look slow and methodical, then shots at the logos. We don't put shots on net to go for rebounds. I've been saying this all year. The biggest problem I think is that the first line has been shut down all year. Peters isn't getting the 4th line out enough to get energy and trying to score with a line that isn't doing anything. But the 4th line shouldn't be the answer. 

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

When Monahan is on his game, he's back checking hard and using his long reach to create turnovers.  He's very effective with his stick.  This is mostly absent this series. He's not back checking.  He's always behind the play.  He's not using his stick.

Backlund is coasting out there.  Has MacKinnon's speed tired him out?  Backlund appears to be playing "economically" and/or conserving energy.  He can't keep up with MacKinnon (can't blame him as not many can).

Jankowski just doesn't drive play as a Center.  He should move to the wing.

Lindholm is not looking around.  In game 2 OT, he let his guy go.  Lost sight of him.  Plus his stick keeps breaking on the PK and it's cost us.

Ryan has been our best Center.

Monahan - he should be using speed more effectively.  He's not a fast skater, but he can keep up with JH and Lindy.  He had the guy who score the rebound goal, but over-skated him.  Had he given up on the play at that point?  He needs to skate away from coverage more.  Either get to a quiet spot or take the darn puck and hang onto it until the other guys get open.  He's not even able to follow through on a shot.

Backlund - he's looked slow and tired.  He gets looks but can't seem to hit an open net.  Too much flex perhaps.  Play him with some speed and maybe they can finish.  Tkachuk was the regular season guy for that line, but now is just creating space for a shot that never comes.

JH - gave up completely on one play, but he was one of the few players creating anything out there.  Get him someone with speed or someone that isn't N/S all the time.

Stop playing to the other team.  Being big and tough means nothing.  Draw them into it and walk away till you get the win.  You want to stop McKinnon, stop letting him get speed up through the transition.  Target him and check him.  Sounds easy.  He's big, but you him hit when he gets anywhere near the boards.  Not to hurt him, but to slow him down or make him react.  Frustrate him, don't give him an open lane.  Put Czarnik or Hathaway or Bennett on him.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Would you not have to watch game 3 to have the credibility behind what you just said?

Haha, I watched game 3 to the end, and I think what ABC has said was right on the mark so far. I get what you're saying, but it looked a bit better than game 2 only because we actually had some zone time in their end at times throughout the game, instead of just the 3rd period of game 2. 

They scored on some PPs and another shorty. Special Teams killed us again. I guess it's 3-2 instead had it not been for Special Teams? But still. I'd like to see smarter play all around the ice from our side.

10 minutes ago, Kipper14 said:

I think we need to try some roster tweaks, Mike Smith has been giving it his all and he hasn't lost the crease due to performance, but in the spirit of shaking things up I think we need to give Rittich the start in Game 4.....he has proven success against the Avs this season....maybe that would provide us with a boost knowing how well Ritter did against them this year.

I think I have been saying that.  Smith is not the problem, but isn't part of the solution right now.

The book was out in OT.

McKinnon is shooting high glove every time.  

A couple dribbled through the 5 hole that wasn't there.

Not that Rittich has been better recently, nor that Rittich would have won the game.

It's about offering different looks.

You start Smith again and we lose, it's too late.

You start Rittich and he looks bad, you can switch back.

At least then you aren't saying "what if".

3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Well guys, it's been fun.  Game 2 was all you needed to see.  The flames are totally outclassed by the avs in every aspect of the game except maybe goaltending.  Our best players are following the magic man's example and disappearing for the big games, folding under pressure like a cheap piece of paper.  Didn't watch last night, won't watch again this season.  Absolute garbage.

At least the off season will be interesting.  Brodie has to go, I don't care if we have to pay someone to take him.  We should seriously consider trading Monahan too.  30 goal scorers can net you good hauls, and he isn't a playoff performer, so we're better off with someone else.  Maybe we could swap him for Zucker and a draft pick, or something like that.

I sometime can be negative but you are on another planet with negativity. The good part is that it is a 7 games series. We still have two more looses. In the old playoff days, first round is a 5 games series. We do need to win the next game though (a must win game) and have the home ice advantage. If they play like they played last night, then I will buy a ticket and fly to your planet and join you in sorrow and negativity. One thing you and I have in common is that Brodie has to go. I don't care what is the cost because I have lost too much sanity watching him played over the years and he is not good for my health. Brodie is like Cassie voice, but at least I can mute the tv when she speaks and still get to watch the game. :D

13 minutes ago, DHT said:

I sometime can be negative but you are on another planet with negativity. The good part is that it is a 7 games series. We still have two more looses. In the old playoff days, first round is a 5 games series. We do need to win the next game though (a must win game) and have the home ice advantage. If they play like they played last night, then I will buy a ticket and fly to your planet and join you in sorrow and negativity. One thing you and I have in common is that Brodie has to go. I don't care what is the cost because I have lost too much sanity watching him played over the years and he is not good for my health. Brodie is like Cassie voice, but at least I can mute the tv when she speaks and still get to watch the game. :D

We need to win 3/5 games.  Simple.  There is no particular timeframe to win them, just win three more games.

The 4th win is always the hardest.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We need to win 3/5 games.  Simple.  There is no particular timeframe to win them, just win three more games.

The 4th win is always the hardest.

You mean win 3 of 4 games?

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

+1 :lol:

I know it was an embarrassing loss at 56 SOG.

Forget it and move on.

Now that we've all had a chance to sleep on the loss. It's only 2-1, we still have a chance. Get the split tomorrow

I remembered something today and it pains me to say this, but look back at 2017 EDM SJ series. The Oilers had all the questions about inexperience, like we currently do, they got blown out of the water 7-0 in SJ and responded by winning the next 3 games. I mean if the Oilers could do it so can we... Go Flames go!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Now that we've all had a chance to sleep on the loss. It's only 2-1, we still have a chance. Get the split tomorrow

I remembered something today and it pains me to say this, but look back at 2017 EDM SJ series. The Oilers had all the questions about inexperience, like we currently do, they got blown out of the water 7-0 in SJ and responded by winning the next 3 games. I mean if the Oilers could do it so can we... Go Flames go!

I thought ABC above was being sarcastic. That's kind of funny actually.

I don't know what people are freaking out about honestly. We have this series. Colorado is giving their all and we have been seriously lethargic. The only players who have impressed me have been Smith, Gio, and Bennett. Benny always shines when everyone else sucks btw. Anyhoo, you knew we would have nerves, try to manage emotions and output too heavily early on, and get thrown by a few adjustments we need to make because Colorado scouted us. If we can't make the adjustments, then we never had a contender to begin with. But hey, enjoy the ride! The wins are much sweeter after tasting defeat for a bit. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

You mean win 3 of 4 games?

What?  This isn't an 8 game series?

We are doomed....

Seriously, are we not capable of winning 3 games?

It's not a lot of difference between having to win 2 and having to win 3.

As I said before, the hardest victory to getis the 4th one.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What?  This isn't an 8 game series?

We are doomed....

Seriously, are we not capable of winning 3 games?

It's not a lot of difference between having to win 2 and having to win 3.

As I said before, the hardest victory to getis the 4th one.

No, You wrote 3 of 5 so I was wondering how it was it was winning 3 of 5 games, because it's not an 8 game series. There are possibly 4 more games if it goes 7. We have to win 3 of those games. Not over. Heck, we could even win this in 6. It was more of a response to the 5 I thought you were referring to. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

No, You wrote 3 of 5 so I was wondering how it was it was winning 3 of 5 games, because it's not an 8 game series. There are possibly 4 more games if it goes 7. We have to win 3 of those games. Not over. Heck, we could even win this in 6. It was more of a response to the 5 I thought you were referring to. 

Lighten up. :) 

You missed the sarcasm in my response I guess.

I typed 5 instead of 4 in the original.

Are we any less capable of winning 3 games than they are of closing out the series?  

I was thinking about Monahan, I know a lot of people think he is playing injured....but I am not so sure.

If Mony IS injured resulting his non effective play, then why would Peters even play him? Why have him out there when he is not only providing no offense but also becoming a defensive liability when we could put in a healthy body who could actually do something.

I know guys play through injuries but if it actually is injuries in Monahans case then it's time to give him some rest, he is not helping this team in the slightest right now.

What are peoples thoughts?

Jon Cooper on Tampa's historic regular season followed by their historic playoff loss.  The part where he noted the amount of points they had during the regular season was both "a blessing and a curse".  They didn't play any meaningful hockey for a month going into the playoffs.  Meanwhile, Columbus stormed in losing only once in regulation in their last 12 games or something.

Kind of eerily similar to the Flames story.  No meaningful hockey the last 10 games of the season.  Everyone played loosey goosey, thus winning without being under pressure.  Suddenly, it's time to turn it on but nobody knows where the remote control is.

12 minutes ago, Kipper14 said:

I was thinking about Monahan, I know a lot of people think he is playing injured....but I am not so sure.

If Mony IS injured resulting his non effective play, then why would Peters even play him? Why have him out there when he is not only providing no offense but also becoming a defensive liability when we could put in a healthy body who could actually do something.

I know guys play through injuries but if it actually is injuries in Monahans case then it's time to give him some rest, he is not helping this team in the slightest right now.

What are peoples thoughts?

If a D went down, then no problem we have 9 of them.

If a top 6 Center goes down, then guess what?  We only have 1 of them.  Monahan at 65% is still our best option.

BUT that said, I personally think Bennett is emerging as somewhat of a fathomable option.  It's at least worth a try to start Game 4.  The way Bennett is using his body, he gives Gaudreau the option to dump the puck in with reasonable odds of getting the puck back.  Plus, Bennett is back checking harder than Monahan.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If a D went down, then no problem we have 9 of them.

If a top 6 Center goes down, then guess what?  We only have 1 of them.  Monahan at 65% is still our best option.

BUT that said, I personally think Bennett is emerging as somewhat of a fathomable option.  It's at least worth a try to start Game 4.  The way Bennett is using his body, he gives Gaudreau the option to dump the puck in with reasonable odds of getting the puck back.  Plus, Bennett is back checking harder than Monahan.

65% is being pretty generous to Mony....he is not backchecking, he is not producing, essentially he is just taking up a roster spot and floating around the ice....that might sound harsh but it's kinda the way it is, he's a liability, as you said I think we could be move Benny to top line C he has been the best Flame in this series.