The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Sign in to follow this  
MAC331

The Code

Hockey has changed so much over the past whatever seasons with respect to a lot of things but I want to hear what this group has to say about HITTING. As an example watching the hockey highlights with Weggar pummeling Paul Byron of all people from a legal shoulder on shoulder hit along the boards which ended up with Weggar having a concussion. Then you have to listen to "old school" Kypreos go on about how us fans viewing "from a distance" don't understand what has to happen on the ice to earn respect. In today's game almost every hit sees some retaliation from some team mate whether the hit is good or deemed a "dirty" hit. These scrums from "you touched my goalie" you must pay has become a sad statement with all these light and middle weight players. Now the biggest blight on the game is all the slashing one can get away with and how these officials decide how to call a game. I don't know about anyone else but in our school yard big guys didn't have to beat up little guys to earn RESPECT. Players today need to establish some new codes and stop acting like a bunch of soccer players.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Hockey has changed so much over the past whatever seasons with respect to a lot of things but I want to hear what this group has to say about HITTING. As an example watching the hockey highlights with Weggar pummeling Paul Byron of all people from a legal shoulder on shoulder hit along the boards which ended up with Weggar having a concussion. Then you have to listen to "old school" Kypreos go on about how us fans viewing "from a distance" don't understand what has to happen on the ice to earn respect. In today's game almost every hit sees some retaliation from some team mate whether the hit is good or deemed a "dirty" hit. These scrums from "you touched my goalie" you must pay has become a sad statement with all these light and middle weight players. Now the biggest blight on the game is all the slashing one can get away with and how these officials decide how to call a game. I don't know about anyone else but in our school yard big guys didn't have to beat up little guys to earn RESPECT. Players today need to establish some new codes and stop acting like a bunch of soccer players.

listened to weggar version after the game.. He says he asked Byron if he was willing to step up for the hit.. Byron accepted.. Byron's mistake.. He shoulda laughed at him and said.. see ya on the boards pal,, catch me if you can

Just now, Horsman1 said:

listened to weggar version after the game.. He says he asked Byron if he was willing to step up for the hit.. Byron accepted.. Byron's mistake.. He shoulda laughed at him and said.. see ya on the boards pal,, catch me if you can

Part in parcel what is wrong with this expectation within hockey of "the Code". I think Weggar should be ashamed of himself.

I think 'the code' is out of date, or misunderstood by the players themselves.  I get tired of seeing retaliation for good, clean hits.  I totally understand when the hit is high, late, or uncalled for (Dumba's hit on Backlund with the clock ticking down and the game sealed) why there might be a price to pay, because that is about respect (or lack there of).  But normal hits along the boards, or big open ice hits in a tight game are just part of the game.  Players should respect that, regardless of whether a star player is involved.  Meanwhile, as you say MAC, slashing seems to be a-ok all day long.  Slashing should not be part of the game imo, and is nothing more than an attempt to injure other players.  That's a true sign of disrespect, and should be punished more than it is.

• Like 4

The slashing definitely escalated once the officials started aggressively calling the clutch and grab. All things considered I would rather someone like Gaudreau put up with some holding than another broken hand/thumb from a blatant slash.

As for having to defend yourself after a clean hit, let's start making the aggressors pay.

Dirty/late hit. (penalty worthy)  The player "standing up" for the teammate doesn't incur any additional penalty than what is normally assessed.

Clean hit. (no penalty). Aggressor receives a double roughing on top of any other assessed penalty.

Any dirty hit/slash that results in lost time due to injury or concussion the offending player will be suspended 2x the lost time.(Johnnys injury would result in Staal being suspended for 12 weeks).  Also the player AND team would be fined equivalant of the injured players salary relavant to time lost.

Ya it will never happen but any time changes are made for "player safety" is just garbage talk in the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

from a legal shoulder on shoulder hit along the boards which ended up with Weggar having a concussion. 

If you are referring to the hit in January, then there was nothing legal about it.  Paul Byron was suspended 3 games for charging.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If you are referring to the hit in January, then there was nothing legal about it.  Paul Byron was suspended 3 games for charging.

Watched it 3 times, shoulder to shoulder nothing illegal, the guy rattled his head against the glass. Many times the person getting hit turns into a bad situation and that never gets taken into account by officials.

I agree with peeps, that isn't a legal hit. Byron apologized for it.

No way he should have taken that fight, even the staff prolly should have addressed the scenario before the game.

Weegar won't be feeling good about it either.

The Code doesn't bother me at all. The alternative is leave it to the 4 blind mice, which isn't great.

The stick work has been out of control for years.

But the cheap crap, particularly when the losing team starts taking liberties near the end, has to be accounted for.

But again, Byron had no business taking that fight.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I agree with peeps, that isn't a legal hit. Byron apologized for it.

No way he should have taken that fight, even the staff prolly should have addressed the scenario before the game.

Weegar won't be feeling good about it either.

The Code doesn't bother me at all. The alternative is leave it to the 4 blind mice, which isn't great.

The stick work has been out of control for years.

But the cheap crap, particularly when the losing team starts taking liberties near the end, has to be accounted for.

But again, Byron had no business taking that fight.

Why was that hit not legal, tell me ? It wasn't squarely in the middle of the back and was more shoulder to shoulder than most not called nor should be. The NHL is being turned into a bunch of pussies, its sickening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why was that hit not legal, tell me ? It wasn't squarely in the middle of the back and was more shoulder to shoulder than most not called nor should be. The NHL is being turned into a bunch of pussies, its sickening.

They called it charging. I'd go with any of charging, boarding or leaving your feet. I think boarding is more relevant as it was also a blindside hit.

A lot of times you'll see the player take a side step so the victim actually sees it and can brace for it. Weegar didn't see that hit coming is the biggest problem I have with it.

Weegar's statement on the fight was something along the lines of asking Byron if he wanted to pay for the hit and Byron said yes. Weegar went on to say that if Byron had said no that it would've been over, he wasn't going to stalk him.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I should also add that I like both players. Neither is a dirty player, just a series of unfortunate events.

This is where the "Code" makes players do the wrong choice. Weggar had size and 50 lbs on Byron who is no fighter to begin with.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That wasn't charging and it was shoulder to shoulder, you tell me two guys going in for the puck at the same speed and collide is a bad hit. Sorry not in my books.

He coasted in & hits like this are a dime a dozen at the NHL level.

Mind you Byron did a little thrust launch making his 163 lbs mass drive the Weegar 200 lb mass into the boards.

Byron should have bounced off him! :P

Byron dropped his gloves so it is a fair game. Byron's hit is borderline boarding but I'm ok with the call by officials because Byron left his feet. If Byron thought he could take Weegar and got clocked for it, then justice served. Weegar appeared to be concerned for Byron when he was skating away, his hand extended toward Byron looking like he is asking if Byron is ok. I think the case is closed and the code works. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DHT said:

Byron dropped his gloves so it is a fair game. Byron's hit is borderline boarding but I'm ok with the call by officials because Byron left his feet. If Byron thought he could take Weegar and got clocked for it, then justice served. Weegar appeared to be concerned for Byron when he was skating away, his hand extended toward Byron looking like he is asking if Byron is ok. I think the case is closed and the code works. :D

If Byron felt no guilt for the hit, he'd have said no.

Imho, it goes from respecting the code to being more respected around the league.

Like it or not, this is how it works. imho

Stupid of Byron, but I'd wager that garnered a ton of respect for him around the league.

Accountability. That's a ton of character from Byron.

Score settled. Both conducted themselves admirably.

• Like 1

I have no problem with a guy looking for a fight after he is hit.  Weegar didn't like the hit so he did something about it.  Byron could have declined.  

Usually small guys are left alone if they mind their own business.  If small guys want to run around throwing big hits they have to expect retaliation from bigger players. 

I do agree that the slashes on the hand have gotten out of control.  It has become a way for plugs to even the playing field against skilled players.  The officiating is ridiculous.  If a slash hits a stick and makes a noise it is a two minute minor.  If a slash hits a player on the hands (and makes no noise) there is no call.  It's a joke.  

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

If Byron felt no guilt for the hit, he'd have said no.

Imho, it goes from respecting the code to being more respected around the league.

Like it or not, this is how it works. imho

Stupid of Byron, but I'd wager that garnered a ton of respect for him around the league.

Accountability. That's a ton of character from Byron.

Score settled. Both conducted themselves admirably.

Woopee, maybe he can put that beside his concussion report.

We had a code in football "get up don't let him know he hurt you, we will get him later". Weggar fighting Byron never should have happened.

Sign in to follow this