Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Avs @ Flames 8pm Apr 11

Recommended Posts

It was a really solid final 40 from the Flames, but a lot closer than the score indicated, Smith was a real difference maker.

 

Special teams were awesome too, good to see both units strike.

 

Now just wait until the top line gets going

 

Cant wait for Saturday night! Go flames !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A_Flame_in_Oiler_Land said:

Avs will grind there top line into the ice we have the depth as long as we can keep them off the score board and frustrated

 

I think it’s also important to stay out of the box so the depth can play, or more so that we can roll the 4 lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key to the beating the Avs, will be to stay out of the box. We dominated 5v5. 

 

How about Mangiapane? Amazing patience for a kid in his first playoff game.

 

Man oh man, how good was Smitty? The Avs are going to have nightmares about Smith's glove hand. His veteran presence shown through tonight. He looked calm and steady in net.

 

I loved how physical we were, showing the Avs a new dimension. We showed that we won't be pushed around, and that we can still play our game with a physical edge.

 

Bennett, Tkachuk, Neal and Hathaway have to keep hitting the Avs defense and keep creating turnovers.

 

Expect a big push back to start game 2, just keep pushing and take their will to compete.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Smith was unreal last night. I know it's only one game, but if he keeps playing like that, the Flames are going deep. Goaltending was the biggest question coming in and it looks like that question was emphatically answered.

 

The only thing I didn't like about the Flames' game was their discipline. Too many penalties to give Colorado the momentum. Though some of that was due to shaky calls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cubicon said:

Wow. Smith was unreal last night. I know it's only one game, but if he keeps playing like that, the Flames are going deep. Goaltending was the biggest question coming in and it looks like that question was emphatically answered.

 

The only thing I didn't like about the Flames' game was their discipline. Too many penalties to give Colorado the momentum. Though some of that was due to shaky calls.

Thank you Mr Smith, for proving me completely wrong with your performance last night. 

 

Great to see him not inly making big saves, but doing it with confidence and swagger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The key to the beating the Avs, will be to stay out of the box. We dominated 5v5. 

 

How about Mangiapane? Amazing patience for a kid in his first playoff game.

 

Man oh man, how good was Smitty? The Avs are going to have nightmares about Smith's glove hand. His veteran presence shown through tonight. He looked calm and steady in net.

 

I loved how physical we were, showing the Avs a new dimension. We showed that we won't be pushed around, and that we can still play our game with a physical edge.

 

Bennett, Tkachuk, Neal and Hathaway have to keep hitting the Avs defense and keep creating turnovers.

 

Expect a big push back to start game 2, just keep pushing and take their will to compete.

 

I think they are the perfect team for us to play against in round 1.  Tough test with their top 3 and Rantanen.  Hard hitting D.  Good goalie.  They had a lot of zone time on the PP, but we were attacking the puck holder, so they had to move it around a lot.  Nothing looked dangerous in their setup.  If we play that way, we should be fine.  Our 5v5 was pretty dominant at times.  Wear them down that way.  

 

Mangiapane is fire.  He's able to hold onto the puck when most players lose it in a crowd or off the boards.  He just keeps going, and he's shifty like JH.  Big stage.  First NHL playoff game.  Game winning goal.  Between him and Hathaway and Ryan, they had 3 high danger chances that I can recall without looking; goal, Hathaway hitting the post and resulting PP creating a goal, and where he curled around the net and shot it.  That last one he had the time and space to walk in, but he was near the end of a shift and wanted the safe play.

 

Smith was alomst flawless.  Couple of gaffe that lead to extended zone time.  Great reaction time and angles the whole game.  He was possessed.  Looked like Smith of October 2017.  I think he gave the D a bit too much confidence at times, which speaks pretty highly of him.  A couple of times, they played it back to him to restart the play and it could have been dangerous.  It wasn't.

 

I doubt that BP was entirely happy.  Win his first game, only 15 to go.  :) 

There was some things I didn't like, but they can be cleaned up between now and the end of the series.  I think that, at times, the team looked a little individual.  The top line was slow starting, but then Kindy laid two big hits and that seemed to spark them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Good hits.

 

The Flames outhit the Avs 36 - 33...

 

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We dominated in faceoff circle.  

 

65% wins...

 

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Big saves when needed.

 

It doesn't get any better...   Smith delivered, even when under pressure...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant take this s*** right now. Constant stress day in and day out.

 

What a performance by smith. Love how the crowd chanted his name after he made a puck handling mistake in the first. That was a great way to say we believe in you, Mike.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smitty stole game 1.

We will need to scale back on the 2 minute minor penalties or this will become a long series.

Even though we killed off the 4 minor penalties I think we were very very lucky.

I do not like the way our team kills penalties, from my view point we sit back in a 4 man box and let the other team bring it, we are flat footed on the PK and that is death.

We need to be relentless and pressure the puck carrier way more on the PK imo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Smitty stole game 1.

We will need to scale back on the 2 minute minor penalties or this will become a long series.

Even though we killed off the 4 minor penalties I think we were very very lucky.

I do not like the way our team kills penalties, from my view point we sit back in a 4 man box and let the other team bring it, we are flat footed on the PK and that is death.

We need to be relentless and pressure the puck carrier way more on the PK imo. 

Disagree on the PK.  They do pressure, when the opportunity presents itself, but don’t chase it out of position.  Fewer penalties would be nice but a lot of that is the refs who are not very consistent.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Disagree on the PK.  They do pressure, when the opportunity presents itself, but don’t chase it out of position.  Fewer penalties would be nice but a lot of that is the refs who are not very consistent.... 

 

Yeah, I am with you on that.  I saw a PK that limited shots to almost nothing.

They are getting fewer shortie chances, but that is also due to simple clearing as opposed to sometimes risky shortie chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Smitty stole game 1.

We will need to scale back on the 2 minute minor penalties or this will become a long series.

Even though we killed off the 4 minor penalties I think we were very very lucky.

I do not like the way our team kills penalties, from my view point we sit back in a 4 man box and let the other team bring it, we are flat footed on the PK and that is death.

We need to be relentless and pressure the puck carrier way more on the PK imo. 

 

I mostly agree. Goalies will make saves. But with the PK I felt like we gave them the zone which in turn gave them momentum. They maintained momentum for long periods after the penalties because of it. In the long run they can exploit it which isn’t sustainable. 

 

We killed the penalties but smith made some big saves. If anything is like the season we can’t depend on Smith continually making those stops. 

 

I think we had one of the easiest times for teams in game 1s these playoffs so I expect it to get tougher.

 

i am excited and was super happy after the win! I just think we gotta take it one game at a time, or at least hope the players do. 

 

I expect both teams to adjust! Hope we can take the game to them and at least cut down on penalties. 

 

Can we expect the refs to be fair? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...