The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I take back every negative thing I have ever said or implied on this forum.

All I ever wanted was a real hockey team representing our great city in the NHL playoffs like they meant it.

Last night, I saw it.   They played for keeps,

So I'm All in 

FOMO?

We have 15 more wins to go before I am proven wrong.  At least, completely wrong.  But I know what you mean.  

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

FOMO?

We have 15 more wins to go before I am proven wrong.  At least, completely wrong.  But I know what you mean.  

I don’t think I am proven wrong so much as yes I was critical, and I think we think if the team can clean up the warts, they can compete. 

There’s  still a need to improve the play to last in the playoffs. We are a good team but Smith still needed to make some huge saves.

It’s a team game and we played like a team. If we continue like this I like our chances.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I take back every negative thing I have ever said or implied on this forum.

All I ever wanted was a real hockey team representing our great city in the NHL playoffs like they meant it.

Last night, I saw it.   They played for keeps,

So I'm All in 

I'll gve you a like because I have said some things similar to you in the past, especially about goaltending.

I'm still saying it.

Even with just about a flawless game played by Smith.

This does happen to be one of the best constructed teams we have seen in some time.

I don't think we have seen the best this team can play.

That's the good thing.

BTW, we welcome your opinions.

It's a shame when people get so ticked off with parts of the team that they walk away.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

FOMO?

I hear you man.   The same weaknesses we've always pointed out are there.    Ie., Part of me has always been, we don't have Stanley cup goaltending.   Then I watch Mike Smith stone them on the first game, like a Stanley Cup champ.   Yeah, it's Colorado.  Yeah, it's only one game.    And yeah, in the offseason I'll probably be listing off all the reasons we didn't win the cup (if we don't).

But they've defied every criticism I've had to the point that, at the end of the day, I have to admit, they have a real chance here.

For that reason, for the remainder of the playoffs I will make up for all the annoying criticisms I had in the past, by being just as annoyingly positive.   And yeah, they might not be perfect but there is no denying that this is their best chance I have seen since 1989.    Quite honestly.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'll gve you a like because I have said some things similar to you in the past, especially about goaltending.

I'm still saying it.

This does happen to be one of the best constructed teams we have seen in some time.

That's the good thing.

It's a shame when people get so ticked off with parts of the team that they walk away.

You're right, at the end of the day, you look at some other good teams we've had, like in 2006, and at times they were this good.  But they were maxed out.

This team has a depth where at any one time any number of guys step up, and you know it's possible to more to be stepping up or improving at the same time.   They're this good, and they're not maxxed out.   There's another gear.   So yeah, this is worth getting excited about

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm still saying it.

That's the good thing.

WE all want the same things , I'm totally thrilled to see where this road goes.

I've said all along , a Hot Smith is a guy that can carry a team .. was just a question of when he'd arrive . He had swagger last night , was having fun .. that's gotta be scary to any team seeing it .Now the team needs to tighten up and not give up so many Grade A's

Interesting stat last night , Smith currently has the highest NHL Playoff Save % in history ..

Sooner or later , teams are going to start giving more match up attention to the Ryan line , that will free up Johnnys line somewhat

This is gonna be funnnnnnn !

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t think I am proven wrong so much as yes I was critical, and I think we think if the team can clean up the warts, they can compete. 

There’s  still a need to improve the play to last in the playoffs. We are a good team but Smith still needed to make some huge saves.

It’s a team game and we played like a team. If we continue like this I like our chances.

Every champion from every year had a goalie that needed to make huge saves more often than not. After only one game don't worry about it too much. Just enjoy the ride.

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Every champion from every year had a goalie that needed to make huge saves more often than not. After only one game don't worry about it too much. Just enjoy the ride.

Who says I am not enjoying it. Just perspective. Read all of my other posts on the boards regarding last night’s game, they’re all positive. 

Just saying a goal here or there and things could’ve been different. They had chances and Smith played his best game of the year. Props!!!! 

Easy to say but this has a feel that it could be a short or a long series, either way. 

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

WE all want the same things , I'm totally thrilled to see where this road goes.

I've said all along , a Hot Smith is a guy that can carry a team .. was just a question of when he'd arrive . He had swagger last night , was having fun .. that's gotta be scary to any team seeing it .Now the team needs to tighten up and not give up so many Grade A's

Interesting stat last night , Smith currently has the highest NHL Playoff Save % in history ..

Sooner or later , teams are going to start giving more match up attention to the Ryan line , that will free up Johnnys line somewhat

This is gonna be funnnnnnn !

I'm not going to give Smith the keys to the city after one game.

It was a team win, where we got excellent saves at the right time.

We also scored 4 goals, two on the PP and 1 EN.

We killed off penalties all night.

Like the rest of the season, we are more than a hot goalie or a high scoring team.

We have won because we can use one aspect to overcome the lack of another.

14 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Interesting stat last night , Smith currently has the highest NHL Playoff Save % in history .

According to NHL stats, Mr. Smith isn't the GAA or Sv% leader so far in these playoffs!

Toronto centricity strikes again! :rolleyes:

25078d94a7d5b12a5b84b28929328208.png

It's convenient that the chart used the 60 minute cut-off.

Smith only played 59:54 due to the delayed penalty.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Like the rest of the season, we are more than a hot goalie or a high scoring team.

We have won because we can use one aspect to overcome the lack of another.

We really have, yes.

For literally the last decade (and a bit) I've been skeptical in regular seasons, and proven right in the offseason.

This year is different.    I'm not saying I know we'll win the cup.   But I'm ok with acting like it.

I never understood why people were unrealistically optimistic in the regular season.   This is the time to be overly confident and get excited.   A strong team in a growth phase headed into the playoffs, I have not seen this in so long.   Odds be damned, let's see them take the cup.

The way I'm choosing to look at this:  It's between Calgary and Tampa.

Calgary dropped one game, Tampa has dropped two.

Nobody ever says that the Stanley cup is decided in the first round.    But, they wouldn't be entirely wrong.    Winning the first round is good.  Winning the first round gives you an edge for all subsequent rounds.   IMHO the last time Tampa and the Flames met up in the playoffs, Tampa had the edge there.

This time, Tampa is already behind the 8-ball.  if the Flames can put this series away quickly, they have an opportunity to be the fresh team in all subsequent rounds.

Last night's game was close.   Close enough that I see nothing wrong with hoping for the Flames to put it away in 5.

59 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The way I'm choosing to look at this:  It's between Calgary and Tampa.

Calgary dropped one game, Tampa has dropped two.

Nobody ever says that the Stanley cup is decided in the first round.    But, they wouldn't be entirely wrong.    Winning the first round is good.  Winning the first round gives you an edge for all subsequent rounds.   IMHO the last time Tampa and the Flames met up in the playoffs, Tampa had the edge there.

This time, Tampa is already behind the 8-ball.  if the Flames can put this series away quickly, they have an opportunity to be the fresh team in all subsequent rounds.

Last night's game was close.   Close enough that I see nothing wrong with hoping for the Flames to put it away in 5.

Who are you and what have you done to jj.;)

Welcome back buddy.

• Like 1

^^^^

Ataboy.

Put the loss behind you and move on.

We were never going to win the 1st 4 in a row.

jj you say your wrong but then the way we are playing  " You may be right"

Darn now I got that Billy Joel song stuck in my head!!!

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

jj you say your wrong but then the way we are playing  " You may be right"

Darn now I got that Billy Joel song stuck in my head!!!

They'll prove me wrong again tonight, I have faith.    

Tkachuk will have a big night

JJ, I am glad that you are here supporting the team.

Too many have given up or are trashing the team.

That's fine.

We all have out opinions.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

JJ, I am glad that you are here supporting the team.

Too many have given up or are trashing the team.

That's fine.

We all have out opinions.

I don't know that they're thinking, that's what the regular and off-season is for ;)

Unless you're Edmonton, and then the off-season is the most exciting time of the year 

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

I don't know that they're thinking, that's what the regular and off-season is for ;)

Unless you're Edmonton, and then the off-season is the most exciting time of the year 

Actually with no GM, coach, cap space and suffering a crushing draft lottery loss, things aren't looking too hot up there either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

They'll prove me wrong again tonight, I have faith.    

Tkachuk will have a big night

Atta boy!!!!!!  

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

And Tkachuk with the assist  :)       He was robbed, that first goal was his too

I actually think you were right...

Sign in to follow this