The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Avs 8pm Apr 15

projected_top.jpg

***LINES COULD CHANGE***

d9d4b79b761dd87aa19daa372006dfb8.png

4a727f544a40c9b63893ab3f027d37e0.png                                    6d920656609b5c5c249447d2687938f7.png

GOALTENDERS

e1f512134120aa35868da469e5e310da.png

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Carty said:

3a9c31624a0a292ae6c32765d83ca76b.png

Valimaki over Fanta would make them better offensively.  Brodie would need to play with him and cover him off, not wander around.

I suppose you could play Vali and Ras.

Please don't insert Prout; we don't need toughness to win.

Some talk of playing Tkachuk on the top line, which isn't a bad idea.  Focus on scoring goals and not just trying to shut down Mac line.

We are better than that.  

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Valimaki over Fanta would make them better offensively.  Brodie would need to play with him and cover him off, not wander around.

Some talk of playing Tkachuk on the top line, which isn't a bad idea.  Focus on scoring goals and not just trying to shut down Mac line.

We are better than that.  

I would consider benching Brodie.  Go with,

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Valimaki - Fantenberg 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would consider benching Brodie.  Go with,

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Valimaki - Fantenberg 

Maybe, but Brodie wasn't the reason we lost.  He had a couple of bad plays in game 2, and some good stuff in game 1.  What I don't like is using him on the PP.  Since they go with Ras on the half wall, it leaves Brodie alone to cover the point.  Skating can get him out of trouble and he's creative with passing from there, but he struggles holding the line.  He gets beat physically and then is flatfooted and can't get back in time.

If we insert Valimaki for Fanta and play him with Brodie, I would consider using Vali-Ras on the 2nd PP unit.  Backlund-Ryan-Neal as the F.  At least then, we have a couple of guys that could skate.  Valimaki isn't much slower than Kylington, and is a bit lower risk.

1 hour ago, Carty said:

3a9c31624a0a292ae6c32765d83ca76b.png

Feels like Peters liked Bennett on the top line to end Game 2.  Maybe that's what we see in Game 3.

Maybe Czarnik comes in so we have a guy who likes to shoot the puck... Just not sure who sits.  Neal?  But Neal was good.  He showed his veteran sneakiness in OT when he dove and drew a penalty.  Smart move that a rookie wouldn't have made.

Does Frolik sit?  But he wasn't the problem.  

Unfortunately, the two worst forwards in game 2 were Monahan and Backlund.  Monahan looks like he playing hurt.  Backlund wasn't skating.  We don't have Centers we can move up into the top 6.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe, but Brodie wasn't the reason we lost.  He had a couple of bad plays in game 2, and some good stuff in game 1.  What I don't like is using him on the PP.  Since they go with Ras on the half wall, it leaves Brodie alone to cover the point.  Skating can get him out of trouble and he's creative with passing from there, but he struggles holding the line.  He gets beat physically and then is flatfooted and can't get back in time.

If we insert Valimaki for Fanta and play him with Brodie, I would consider using Vali-Ras on the 2nd PP unit.  Backlund-Ryan-Neal as the F.  At least then, we have a couple of guys that could skate.  Valimaki isn't much slower than Kylington, and is a bit lower risk.

It's time to try Mangiapane on the PP.

I agree, take Brodie off the PP.  

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's time to try Mangiapane on the PP.

I agree, take Brodie off the PP.  

That would be interesting.

Only two guys that can one-time it without breaking their sticks are Mange and Ras.

I prefer to have Ras use it on the RD from the point because having him use it down low has too many people blocking the net.

Mange.  Right side, top of the circle.  Think he's scored from there twice this year.

Seems like the coach doesn't agree about Brodie.  Must be something I am missing.

He used to be a great zone entry guy, but I haven't seen it in some time.

Ras takes most of the zone entries, or they go Bennett to Ryan.

Backlund was the worst of the C's on the dot in the last game.  Ryan has been superb.

Don't need to overthink this.  Just look at where the mistakes are being made and fix them.  

That might be personnel or execution.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We are better than that.  

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Feels like Peters liked Bennett on the top line to end Game 2.  Maybe that's what we see in Game 3.

Maybe Czarnik comes in so we have a guy who likes to shoot the puck... Just not sure who sits.  Neal?  But Neal was good.  He showed his veteran sneakiness in OT when he dove and drew a penalty.  Smart move that a rookie wouldn't have made.

Does Frolik sit?  But he wasn't the problem.  

Unfortunately, the two worst forwards in game 2 were Monahan and Backlund.  Monahan looks like he playing hurt.  Backlund wasn't skating.  We don't have Centers we can move up into the top 6.

Looks like the only change for tonight is what Peters went to for the end of the last game...   Ras on the first pair with Gio, and Brodie on the third...

34 minutes ago, Carty said:

Looks like the only change for tonight is what Peters went to for the end of the last game...   Ras on the first pair with Gio, and Brodie on the third...

That's fair.

No need to over think and over coach.  We really just need guys to skate harder.  We didn't have a chemistry or combo problem.

Just now, The_People1 said:

That's fair.

No need to over think and over coach.  We really just need guys to skate harder.  We didn't have a chemistry or combo problem.

I don't think that was a terrible game. I think everyone is just so shocked that we lost one like that. When we are patient, we usually win. We just happened to be on the wrong end of a great pass to NM in stride. So, a minor adjustment, if any, is appropriate. 

Going on a tangent, does anyone around here remember The Offspring's video "Pretty Fly? Whenever I think about a newbie Tampa Bay fan sporting a new jersey that cost him a kidney, I think about the white guy in the video. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't think that was a terrible game. I think everyone is just so shocked that we lost one like that. When we are patient, we usually win. We just happened to be on the wrong end of a great pass to NM in stride. So, a minor adjustment, if any, is appropriate. 

Going on a tangent, does anyone around here remember The Offspring's video "Pretty Fly? Whenever I think about a newbie Tampa Bay fan sporting a new jersey that cost him a kidney, I think about the white guy in the video. 

The Avs played their best game of the season while the Flames were below their usual average.  And the Flames still led the game with 3 minutes to go.

We just need the Avs to get back to avg.  (Sorta a pun but not really?  I dunno...).

Calgary didnt Have Any Desperation in there game what so ever they need desperation this is the playoff you lose 4 your golfing end of story

27 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Seems like a good night for a big road win!

Johnny is gonna be flying tonight I expect a big game from him!

Go Flames

I feel good about this one. I hope we manage to kill their momentum by getting a couple early on.

4 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Calgary didnt Have Any Desperation in there game what so ever they need desperation this is the playoff you lose 4 your golfing end of story

I think game 1 went so well that we thought this series was going to be a cake walk.  I hope game 2 was a wake-up call.  This is the playoffs.  Start playing like it.