The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Avs 8pm Apr 15

Just now, lou44291 said:

Did you watch Boston vs Toronto - game 2?

Trumps this exponentially. 

Kadri wouldn’t be suspended if even a few blatant penalties were called. 

Truth. 

If you are a TO fan, that would be truth.

Kadri wouldn;t be suspended if he wasn't over the edge the entire night.

Okay AVS, tire yourselves out before next game.

51 shots.

Crazy.

If they don;t start Rittich, the series will be over soon.

That's not a shot at Smith, it's reality.

Outplayed in 7 of 9 periods, out played the last 6 straight, get stomped from the opening whistle tonight and the response?

4 shots on goal in the 3rd period. Color me worried about this one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Outplayed in 7 of 9 periods, out played the last 6 straight, get stomped from the opening whistle tonight and the response?

Ya, I was worried at the start of the series. After game 1 I believed, but that went away fast. I was worried it was too easy in game 1. 

I think those commentators could be right that we just don’t have a playoff team.

9 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I see 3 causes:

1. 8th seed teams have been playing “playoff” hockey well before the playoffs started when they were trying to get in. In contrast, top seeded teams are resting players and intensity has dropped off as they rely on skill alone. 

2. Top seeded teams have a lower ceiling to “elevate” their game for playoffs. They typically continue to play as they did in the regular season, whereas lower seeded teams elevate their game more to “play up” to the higher seed. 

3. Top seeded teams are overconfident and believe their Satoshi Nakamoto don’t stink. 

How many of the above apply to the Flames? Lightning? 

I can't speak to the Tampa series as I haven't watched it but I would say point 3 applies to Flames -Avs. Avs have played loose, fast, and fun and the Flames are playing like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you are a hockey fan, that would be truth.

Kadri wouldn;t be suspended if he wasn't over the edge the entire night.

Again, did you watch the game?

I’m not sure you’re well versed to compare the two games.

Watching highlights alone doesn’t tell the story. Otherwise we’d be wondering how the flames are losing to Colorado after a 4-0 game 1 “blowout”. 

Oh and I fixed your quote. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I thought Monahan and Backlund were bad again.  When your two top Centers are off, then you have little chance.

Hey just get the split in game 4 and all will be right. Home ice advantage back.

This is rock bottom. Season on the line Wednesday essentially. Bring it

3 minutes ago, 89Again said:

Bennett- 10mins +1

Goudreault - 19mins -3

Its called living and dying with your #1 guy. One thing is Bennett doesn’t get pk time anymore. But still. He has 4pts in the series. Hope he keeps it up.

Alright boys I’m out. Looking forward to game 4 to see how this team responds. Go Flames Go. Tie the series up!

• Like 2

Frankly this team is to small and not tough enough. Mckinnion Rabtanern and landskog should be black and blue. Ice bags and ice baths but nope, freewheeling do what want as our team does the fly bys and free passes and backs off. Our top guys and bumped hit slashed cross checked every shift, and are wearing the ice bags. Mckinnion should be afraid to touch the puck, lay his Hash Rate out and the series changes. 

We are being out worked, out skated, out coached out scored..... Everyone was concerned about goaltending Blockchain me if not for that we would be down 3-0. You want to win a cup Blockchaining show up and play like you want to win .........last 2 games are utterly an embarrassment, should have let a team in that wants to win not wait for gifts BlockchainING WAKE UP

• Like 3

Ladies and Gentleman, this does not look good for our Flames....Mike Smith arguably stole Game 1, and we have been absolutely manhandled for 6 straight periods....

Furthermore, here is my analysis of our amazing 5 players who finished with 70+ points...

Gaudreau - Absolutely awful....I have always been worried he won't be able to get it done in the playoffs and it is playing out, outside of doing nothing offensively he is actually a liability, our star play actually hurting our team.

Monahan - Next to invisible, had a good whack at the puck for the go ahead goal in Game 2 but outside of that you would hardly know he is out there.

Tkachuk - Big goal in Game 1 and then......not making an impact, he is starting to get into it physically but for a guy who is going to be looking for 8+ million in a few short months he is doing NOTHING!

Lindholm -  Contributing a bit physically but we need OFFENSE right now and he is not contributing..

Giordando - our Norris Trophy front runner has not been noticeable at all, what we need right now is our Captain saying screw this boys.....watch me lets go! And honestly, he has been mediocre.

Honorable mention to Backlund who has been SO SO SO bad.

Thankfully Sam Bennett seems to give a flying eff....he has been amazing (give him an A any day over Backs or Mony) I also think Raz and Smith have shown up to play, the list gets VERY short after that.

We better figure this out and quick because guess what? We lose Wednesday our season is on life support, I don't see us beating the Avs 3 straight with how good they are playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

8817f1c39d540fd24241474372456d37.png

Tale of the tape doesn;t jive.

Superior in the faceoff dot again, and we get pummeled like this?

43 hits did exactly what?

4 giveaways?

56 shots against?

I'm done complaining about the team's play.

Change the lines around cuz it ain't working.

Smith was great in game 1.

Not as good in game two, but held the fort but for one tight shot.

Game 3, I'm not even sure what I saw.

The saves looked good, but the rebounds were brutal.

The panel said after two that it would have been 10-1 if not for Smith.

I don;t even know if that is fair at this point.

Rittich has stolen games.

Do you come back with Smith?

Not sure how you can.

They put goals past him in every situation he used to let in goals.

Perhaps the team responds with Rittich in nets.

It's not like they responded with Smith there. 

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Tale of the tape doesn;t jive.

Superior in the faceoff dot again, and we get pummeled like this?

43 hits did exactly what?

4 giveaways?

56 shots against?

I'm done complaining about the team's play.

Change the lines around cuz it ain't working.

Smith was great in game 1.

Not as good in game two, but held the fort but for one tight shot.

Game 3, I'm not even sure what I saw.

The saves looked good, but the rebounds were brutal.

The panel said after two that it would have been 10-1 if not for Smith.

I don;t even know if that is fair at this point.

Rittich has stolen games.

Do you come back with Smith?

Not sure how you can.

They put goals past him in every situation he used to let in goals.

Perhaps the team responds with Rittich in nets.

It's not like they responded with Smith there. 

Your kidding right!! There are 2 guys who have showed up for this series, benny and smith. Rebounds wouldnt be an issue if players and defense did their jobs. To many passangers right now, its to easy for the avs. This was my cincern all along, when push came shove could this team have the balls and meat to push back, as of now they can not. You havr to be chippy boarder line dirty during after plays, we most certainly are not. As i mentioned earler you can not have 2 guys leading the bruise parade. Seriously the avs top line should have bruised backs, fore arms, hands fingers, how many little shots a game does Johnny get. You want to win the cup you have to have a dirty mentality and do w hat it takes to win, stiick work cheap shots stop talking and start by leaving a mark. Ranrenan and landeskog were injured before the series they should be in more pain now!!!! This team is just to soft and to nice, its Blockchaining emba rrassing to watch. You got Marner blocking shots in TO and wr have Mony, Backs and Johnny do fly bys on the opposition, its a joke. They talk a good game but be a man and play like men, frankly i have seen more of a competitve edge in 4 year olds. Its a mans league this time of year and if you do not have that aggressive side to your nature you wont be long in a play off series, IMHO we have very few men on this club right now. 

If being gritty was the way to win, we would have won the first 3 games.

We let them skate circles around us.

SMimth was not the problem, and I think I said that here and elsewhere.

What is also true is that you have a team playing us that is not giving Smith the chance to handle the puck.

They are attacking on the rush.

Very little being dumped in for him to handle.

You change up the goalie because Rittich is/was the better road goalie.  And because they have scored 10 goals in the last two games.  You can't expect Smith to face that volume over and over again.

Like I said before the series, the Flames have trouble defending speed. The Avs are playing fast. The flames are left watching and it shows.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Like I said before the series, the Flames have trouble defending speed. The Avs are playing fast. The flames are left watching and it shows.

Well, they can defend speed, but they are not.

This is not the first fast team we have faced, and we have beat others before.

Somehow, we were able to hold them to zero goals on the PP before, yet now we are giving up PP goals and SH goals.

We are letting them get up to speed instead of attacking them.

And we are walking into the zone, not skating.

Too much playing slow.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

In my opinion, this is exactly right. This is the reason that I've always thought that the Avs were a bad first round matchup. We aren't very good at defending against players that come at us with a lot of speed. We've been feasted upon by the likes of McDavid, Petterson, and MacKinnon for a long time. I realize that every team struggles to defend against those guys, but surprisingly, they don't always get on the scoresheet - so someone is doing something better than we are. 

Love.