The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Avs @ Flames 8pm Apr 19

If Washington and Boston out of the playoff, it would be 4 top teams in the league out on first round. There is a chance that may happen. LOL

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, woodendoug said:

Good for the Flames making the playoffs. Awesome. I told you guys you were soft midway through. Well your soft. Hope Monahan wins the Byng.

As if an Oiler fan has the right to criticize anything related to hockey...   :lol:   Now just jump right back into the pit of hockey hell where you belong...   ;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carty said:

As if an Oiler fan has the right to criticize anything related to hockey...   Now just jump right back into the pit of hockey hell where you belong...   :lol:

I told you, the team was soft. You would have nothing of it.

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

your just as soft your point

I know its painful. But it is the truth. Just as I face the truth that the Oilers do not have a good D. Same thing. Its nothing personal

2 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

your just as soft your point

we atleast have good d and made the playoff ohh sorry the oilers are to lame to be there i forgot mcdoodle couldnt do it all himself this year

10 minutes ago, woodendoug said:

I know its painful. But it is the truth. Just as I face the truth that the Oilers do not have a good D. Same thing. Its nothing personal

Been a  fan since they moved here from Atlanta , you cant argue his point, he is right this club is far to soft to make any noise, I have said the same all year. With the Oilers, yeah you have issues on the whole club. Out of a 23 man roster, you need 21 players better,than what you have

Just now, The_Snowbear said:

we atleast have good d and made the playoff ohh sorry the oilers are to lame to be there i forgot mcdoodle couldnt do it all himself this year

Yes you did and I wish the Oilers did also. So you got me there. We pick 8 you pick 29 or 30. It might be advantage. Probably not.

6 minutes ago, woodendoug said:

Yes you did and I wish the Oilers did also. So you got me there. We pick 8 you pick 29 or 30. It might be advantage. Probably not.

Hey woodendoug. I know what you’re trying to do, and it’s because you need some attention. Well you won’t get anymore than this from me. 

• Like 1

The Flames have played this way for the past two months. They got by despite the play of the 1st line. The 2nd line was off and on duringbthat time. The 3rd line not that good, the 4th line was great. And there wasn’t enough change in the play to change the fortunes. Winning in spite of it was the downfall. A lot will not agree with me, but it is how I see it.

My summary of the game was really the hat trick of missed opportunities for Gaudreau.

1. Penalty shot.  Very disappointing move and finish. It just didn't scream confidence.
  2. Clear cut breakaway, missed net, and they storm back the other way and score.
  3. A goal waived off.

Could of been 3 goals for us and 1 less for them at critical junctures of the game.

Comparing today's Avs against the Avs in Game 2, the Avs were very beatable today.  Instead, we faced some adversity in the game and folded like a cheap suit.  We stopped skating again.  We gave up.

8 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

No were way beyond that..we took a major step forward. Our core is good 

Playmaking center would be nice 

But are we? What’s the major step forward if we still can’t get past the 1st rd? Our core is good...but not good enough it seems. Not raggin’ on you phoenix66 in any way, just realizing we’ve actually gone nowhere. At this point we really didn’t achieve anything. We won 1 playoff game against the lowest seeded team in the same conference we “won”. This was an embarrassing showing for this organization. This franchise should be panicking, we’ve been ousted in the 1st RD, 12 out 14 times. Somethings not right. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

No they don't. they have a problem understanding you need to lay it all on the line in the playoffs. Can't just show up and win on your talent. 

As much as the Avs have dominated, we were a couple bounces away from winning both overtime games and being in cruise control.  You are correct though, that has been one of the main differences between the teams, and Calgary's unwillingness to go all out, skate like there is no tomorrow, block shots, crush a few guys when the opportunity presented itself.... has been on full display.  Just like the Bolts the Flames didn't get the memo that the playoffs is a totally different game and skill alone does nothing come playoffs, especially when the refs call it completely differently.  A major retooling is needed as this core is never going to get it done when the play gets tough and effort is more important than skill alone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I kind of agree. The center depth is null when you have Janks in there. Backlund isn’t doing enough to create space which leaves Tkachuk useless. He’s not, but if there’s no chance, he doesn’t do much else. 

Ive liked Bennett.

First step got to either trade Monahan or move him to RW.  Jankowski defensive Centre.  Backlund traded.  Dube 3rd centre.  Ruzicka brought in, along with Pospisil, Tuulola and a few others.... Brodie traded, Neal traded or Stockton, Frolik traded.  Valimaki & Kylington in.  Should be an interesting time around the draft........

8 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

Maybe BT should bring in an older veteran Center to teach the boys in that position and take some pressure off of Mony and Backs. Giroux would be my pick but I know no way! Getzlaf? They need that Center to lean on. They're all still young inexperienced Centers.

Both Getzlaf and Carter are intriguing possibilities.  Perry too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickross said:

But are we? What’s the major step forward if we still can’t get past the 1st rd? Our core is good...but not good enough it seems. Not raggin’ on you phoenix66 in any way, just realizing we’ve actually gone nowhere. At this point we really didn’t achieve anything. We won 1 playoff game against the lowest seeded team in the same conference we “won”. This was an embarrassing showing for this organization. This franchise should be panicking, we’ve been ousted in the 1st RD, 12 out 14 times. Somethings not right. 

No argument , this is disappointing ..but to me this one is different . But we haven't been in this position since 2006..and we blew it after that 

By that I mean , we spent years playing the "let's just get in " game .. just missing or just making .. trying to recreate the 2004 magic 

Now we have a team that will shoot for Conference best each year 

I see no reason why this team cant continue to fight for top 4 spot each year .. our regular season was not a fluke

we broke in young players who will be core for years . Andersson, Kyllington, Valimaki, Mangiapane, etc

We can say it means nothing , but playoff experience is a real thing .. even Gio only had 4 real games of it coming in to these ones .. he missed one entirely and was basically a #7 the first time 

Winning is a habit .. for years we had our sights set on Wild Card .. now I believe we will firmly believe Conference title is the goal .

They said it last night , and I totally buy in.. we faced no adversity all year . It was too easy . We had a 4 game losing streak as our biggest stumble . We faced itr for the first time in the playoffs so now we learn from it 

Now the powers that be need to analyze this .. adjust .. What those adjustments are can be analyzed to death in another thread, but there is no major shakeup required for once .. no fire the coach.. no major overhaul 

The playoff thing absolutely sucks, and they need answers and reaction.. but to me , this was a major step forward for this team 

• Like 1

So the losing is because of too much winning??

Tampa said the same thing, they weren’t challenged all year.  It makes complete sense and it’s complete non sense all at the same time. 

The NHL is a hard league to win in. Gio said it himself, they can’t take this opportunity for granted. Monny mentioned how they have to seize this opportunity because careers can be short.   I’d like to think things only seemed easier because they had to work that much harder for it. 

Winning is is a habit. The Flames made this a habit this year. This was one of the most consistent, winning teams in franchise history. Did they forget how to win all of a sudden? Is too much winning a negative? Does being successful make you complacent?

The whole thing just doesnt jive with me tbh. Are we saying we’re a better team when we struggle all season? Do we need to limp into the playoffs to find the drive to win ? I dunno, I guess we were victims of our own success this year. It’s just odd to hear that the winning is the reason for the losing. 

Again not arguing with you, I heard that same statement yesterday and via Tampa and it just boggled my mind. To blame your season on too much winning just doesn’t add up imo. 

The demise of our playoffs began about 30 days ago.

This isn;t about player X playing scared.

We barely won the conference on the backs of struggling jets and Sharks teams.

We didn;t look like contenders the last month, playing lesser teams.

Changes will come this summer, but they always do.

Don't need to rade JH; he was only part of a top line that managed nothing.

Monahan is fine, but there was something off about him.

This funk he's been in affected everyone on the line.

Gio-Brodie was not their usual self.

Brodie probably should be traded just because he's expendable and we have a pipeline.

Frolik is a guy you can win with, but I think we need to have more offense from that 2RW spot.

Tkachuk came back to earth, but I put a lot of the blame on Backlund.  

Very little positive to say about the shutdown C that couldn;t shut down anything.

If you aren;t doing that and you aren't creating offense, then why are you here?

Janko, Bennett and Neal have been useless together.

Neal has to be 10x better, but none of those guys can create offense on transition.

4th line was the only thing good to see over the last month.

Hathaway won over a lot of fans for his compete level.

Mangiapane is probably capable of top 9, if not top 6.

Ryan is underrated.  Just does everything good, not great.

If we are going to integrate Neal into the top 6, then we better be fixing the top 6.  

We need to drop Backlund to the 3rd line (or trade him for a scoring C) and find the right mix of players for the 2nd line.

You can have one line being a threat and one line shutting down stuff.

Tkachuk needs better players.

Maybe all it takes is to play JH with Lindy and Neal, and Tkachuk with Monahan and a scoring RW.

Trades to consider are Brodie, Frolik, Janko, Hathaway (his value is high), Backlund...

27 minutes ago, rickross said:

So the losing is because of too much winning??

Tampa said the same thing, they weren’t challenged all year.  It makes complete sense and it’s complete non sense all at the same time. 

The NHL is a hard league to win in. Gio said it himself, they can’t take this opportunity for granted. Monny mentioned how they have to seize this opportunity because careers can be short.   I’d like to think things only seemed easier because they had to work that much harder for it. 

Winning is is a habit. The Flames made this a habit this year. This was one of the most consistent, winning teams in franchise history. Did they forget how to win all of a sudden? Is too much winning a negative? Does being successful make you complacent?

The whole thing just doesnt jive with me tbh. Are we saying we’re a better team when we struggle all season? Do we need to limp into the playoffs to find the drive to win ? I dunno, I guess we were victims of our own success this year. It’s just odd to hear that the winning is the reason for the losing. 

Again not arguing with you, I heard that same statement yesterday and via Tampa and it just boggled my mind. To blame your season on too much winning just doesn’t add up imo. 

The inability to face adversity is what created this issue. Take Tampa in the 1st game took a quick 3-0 lead and you could see Columbus was rattled and you could see the Bolts had this sense this was going to be cake walk. Much like any sport create a spark of confidence in an individual or group and watch Satoshi Nakamoto snow ball. Columbus scored to make it 3-1 really nothing changed till Bob made a key save and they narrowed the gap to 3-2. Now Columbus has the confidence in that hey we can complete grabbed the wave and rode it home. The bolts not being accustomed to not losing had no clue how to deal with jetting out to a 3-0 lead to lose, never happens to them right. No different in the Satoshi Nakamoto we just watched. Flames win 4-0 in the 1st game and never played well you could see they felt and acted like well this will be a cake walk. Even for most of game 2 they Flames had the edge, not playing well but still in it, until that moment when it blew up. Did McKinnion win the series NO, but that goal in game 2 in overtime flipped the switch. Avs got momentum and each game gained more and more confidance

17 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Both Getzlaf and Carter are intriguing possibilities.  Perry too?

Getzlaf would be awesome. Leave sunny Anaheim? But, maybe he will want to give back to his junior team in the form of helping the flames.

On April 19, 2019 at 11:26 PM, Carty said:

As if an Oiler fan has the right to criticize anything related to hockey...   :lol:   Now just jump right back into the pit of hockey hell where you belong...   ;)

Nice Carty!! 

Our speed was on display. Then, the Avs have 3 guys collapsing in front of the net. Maybe, counter with a puck carrier slamming into them like bowling pins? Get in close, shoot then hit for the rebound.

13 hours ago, tmac70 said:

The inability to face adversity is what created this issue. Take Tampa in the 1st game took a quick 3-0 lead and you could see Columbus was rattled and you could see the Bolts had this sense this was going to be cake walk. Much like any sport create a spark of confidence in an individual or group and watch Satoshi Nakamoto snow ball. Columbus scored to make it 3-1 really nothing changed till Bob made a key save and they narrowed the gap to 3-2. Now Columbus has the confidence in that hey we can complete grabbed the wave and rode it home. The bolts not being accustomed to not losing had no clue how to deal with jetting out to a 3-0 lead to lose, never happens to them right. No different in the Satoshi Nakamoto we just watched. Flames win 4-0 in the 1st game and never played well you could see they felt and acted like well this will be a cake walk. Even for most of game 2 they Flames had the edge, not playing well but still in it, until that moment when it blew up. Did McKinnion win the series NO, but that goal in game 2 in overtime flipped the switch. Avs got momentum and each game gained more and more confidance

I always have liked Mony. But, he folds like a cheap lawn chair under pressure. 82 games of 1st line Center pressure is exhausting to him. He, didn't match Mckinnons emotion and drive. True, 1st line centres that carry it every game and playoffs are a freak of nature.