Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
jjgallow

This requires an overhaul, not an adjustment

Recommended Posts

 

OK.

 

I was sportsmanlike for the playoffs.  Which ended one minute ago for the Flames.

 

The Flames had a truly improbable regular season, succeeding like they had not in years.   Then, the moment the first playoff puck dropped, they did EXACTLY what many of us feared for the last 5 years.   They showed us what a faulty rebuild looks like.   They created a Regular Season team.  And you can't fix that.  You can only Overhaul that.

 

Treliving:    This is ALL under his watch.    He traded away actual defense, he brought in highly questionable defensemen, he threw away draft picks.   He has to go.  For the draft picks alone, he needs to go.  For thinking Gaudreau could succeed in the post-season, he needs to be double-gone.  For filling our defence with misguided forwards, he needs to go.  3 strikes.

 

Gaudreau:   No.  Just no.  He cannot play in the playoffs.  He never could.  He never will.   He's fantastic in the regular season, and on European ice.   I've been asking for us to trade him since before he made it into the NHL.     Never has this been more true.  He still has Massive value.   A large team would absolutely take a chance on him and pay more than full price.    

 

The Flames will NEVER, ever win a cup with Gaudreau on the team.   That's just how market caps work.    If we intend to win the cup, he must be traded and he must be traded in this off-season.   Preferably for prospects or draft picks, because quite honestly our rebuild needs a do-over.

 

While they're at it, they need to trade away any other skilled player who can't translate in the playoffs.  It's not about size, it's about strength.  Gaudreau will just never be strong enough for the post-season.

 

Defence:  We're absolutely screwed here.  This is why we need to rebuild.   We have a bunch of defencemen who are actually forwards.  Nobody who knows how to keep the puck out of our end (except maybe the aging Gio).    Nobody with any size, nobody with any sense.   Trades are needed here, but ultimately we have to build this up from the ground up.

 

Goaltending:  Yeah ok.   Mike Smith played ok, but not well enough.   Not Nearly well enough.   Yeah, our goalies were better than I thought.  But neither Rittich nor Smith were Ever stanley cup material or playoff material.   So WHY, then we did we invest so much in them?    Why did we invest NHL development minutes into goalies who could Never, ever take us where we need to go?   Our goaltending coach makes us the laughing stock of the NHL.   All that needs to be fixed.   We need elite goaltending prospects.  And we need a development system because our development system has one of the worst track records in NHL history.   Which would be okay, but we haven't even Considered changing methods, or goaltending coaches, or our drafting methods, or Anything.  We just keep doing the same.

 

 

Fire Treliving, and the Healing can start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey JJ, regarding BT, I wholeheartedly disagree. We have one of the most active GMs in the league who seems to stop at nothing to try to make this team better. I’ll take the few warts along the way for the passion and dedication he brings to try to win us a cup. I’d take him over the more common “status quo” GM a hundred times out of a hundred. 

 

Perhaps I am reacting emotionally after our sudden playoff loss, however, I have never once considered trading JH... until now. He’s mine and my son’s favorite player, but I now have doubts... Playoff doubts... we didn’t support him enough, either... but NJ and NYR have the first and second overall pick for this upcoming draft... and I’ll choose to stop there and maybe return to this thread at a later time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Hey JJ, regarding BT, I wholeheartedly disagree. We have one of the most active GMs in the league who seems to stop at nothing to try to make this team better. I’ll take the few warts along the way for the passion and dedication he brings to try to win us a cup. I’d take him over the more common “status quo” GM a hundred times out of a hundred. 

 

Perhaps I am reacting emotionally after our sudden playoff loss, however, I have never once considered trading JH... until now. He’s mine and my son’s favorite player, but I now have doubts... Playoff doubts... we didn’t support him enough, either... but NJ and NYR have the first and second overall pick for this upcoming draft... and I’ll choose to stop there and maybe return to this thread at a later time. 

 

Treliving did ok on the Lindholm Hamilton trade, but JUST ok.   Hamilton continued to round out his game, and is Killing it in the playoffs right now.   

 

That trade, I must admit, is a Bit of a salvation for him, but I do believe it fell in his lap.   I do not believe he orchestrated it, I believe it was just offered to him.  Because I really haven't seen any other sensible decision out of the guy.

 

And Gaudreau.... there's just no getting around it.   And I'm mad at Treliving for keeping him here as long as he did, for making him so central to the organization, for creating this situation as you described.    Because he's very likeable.   If we weren't a hockey city and the playoffs didn't matter, he'd be perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

 

OK.

 

I was sportsmanlike for the playoffs.  Which ended one minute ago for the Flames.

 

The Flames had a truly improbable regular season, succeeding like they had not in years.   Then, the moment the first playoff puck dropped, they did EXACTLY what many of us feared for the last 5 years.   They showed us what a faulty rebuild looks like.   They created a Regular Season team.  And you can't fix that.  You can only Overhaul that.

 

Treliving:    This is ALL under his watch.    He traded away actual defense, he brought in highly questionable defensemen, he threw away draft picks.   He has to go.  For the draft picks alone, he needs to go.  For thinking Gaudreau could succeed in the post-season, he needs to be double-gone.  For filling our defence with misguided forwards, he needs to go.  3 strikes.

 

Gaudreau:   No.  Just no.  He cannot play in the playoffs.  He never could.  He never will.   He's fantastic in the regular season, and on European ice.   I've been asking for us to trade him since before he made it into the NHL.     Never has this been more true.  He still has Massive value.   A large team would absolutely take a chance on him and pay more than full price.    

 

The Flames will NEVER, ever win a cup with Gaudreau on the team.   That's just how market caps work.    If we intend to win the cup, he must be traded and he must be traded in this off-season.   Preferably for prospects or draft picks, because quite honestly our rebuild needs a do-over.

 

While they're at it, they need to trade away any other skilled player who can't translate in the playoffs.  It's not about size, it's about strength.  Gaudreau will just never be strong enough for the post-season.

 

Defence:  We're absolutely screwed here.  This is why we need to rebuild.   We have a bunch of defencemen who are actually forwards.  Nobody who knows how to keep the puck out of our end (except maybe the aging Gio).    Nobody with any size, nobody with any sense.   Trades are needed here, but ultimately we have to build this up from the ground up.

 

Goaltending:  Yeah ok.   Mike Smith played ok, but not well enough.   Not Nearly well enough.   Yeah, our goalies were better than I thought.  But neither Rittich nor Smith were Ever stanley cup material or playoff material.   So WHY, then we did we invest so much in them?    Why did we invest NHL development minutes into goalies who could Never, ever take us where we need to go?   Our goaltending coach makes us the laughing stock of the NHL.   All that needs to be fixed.   We need elite goaltending prospects.  And we need a development system because our development system has one of the worst track records in NHL history.   Which would be okay, but we haven't even Considered changing methods, or goaltending coaches, or our drafting methods, or Anything.  We just keep doing the same.

 

 

Fire Treliving, and the Healing can start.

 

I’d go with trading Monahan over Gaudreau, maybe both? Monahan can kind of create space, but once things get tight he doesn’t do much else.  I get that you gotta score goals, but we just saw over two months what happens when he’s not scoring meaningful goals. 

 

But i also think Smith played well enough to win 4 games. The team didn’t show up for 75% of the series. I might be being generous with that estimate. 

 

I like how the D is shaping up. Valamaki and Andersson are shaping up to being a top pair. 

 

I think we can build from there. I expect next year to be another set back, but hopefully Lindholm can develop a step further. 

 

But like you said, Gaudreau doesn’t have the strength, at least not to do it on his own. If you get an actual stud C or RW I think that could change. Monahan is good but because they’re way too similar in temperament, they don’t make space for themselves by being a touch mean. 

 

I think because gaudreau is such a polarizing player it looks way more of an effect when he gets shut down, but when there’s no help, it gets easier to. It’s easy to blame him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Then, the moment the first playoff puck dropped, they did EXACTLY what many of us feared for the last 5 years.   They showed us what a faulty rebuild looks like.   

 

CENSORED:

 

I'm so glad we didn't tank for MacKinnon in 2013! 

 

*Insert moral high ground and virtue signal*


Remember 2013??? Ya me either.  Who cares last place or ninth worst.  Who cares.  Sometimes you just gotta pinch your nose and hold your breath as hard as it can be.  But so few wanted to make that sacrifice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to Mike Smith, yeah he played ok.  But this does not mean it was a success.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=goaliesummary&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=3&filter=timeOnIce,gte,120&sort=savePctg,wins,goalsAgainstAverage

 

He was just markedly better than his peers on the Flames.   He wasn't markedly better to his goaltending peers in the playoffs.   He was essentially in the middle of the pack by save percentage.    (and of course aweful by GAA).

 

Yes he looked good compared to Gaudreau and others in this series.   But, middle of the pack doesn't win you a cup either.  We never got any exceptional goaltending this year, we could have just as easily implanted a top prospect and let them develop with those minutes.  Like Colorado did with Grubauer, who is now advancing.   Like Many NHL teams did.  Sure, it cost them somes games in the regular season, and who cares now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

CENSORED:

  Hide contents

I'm so glad we didn't tank for MacKinnon in 2013! 

 

*Insert moral high ground and virtue signal*


Remember 2013??? Ya me either.  Who cares last place or ninth worst.  Who cares.  Sometimes you just gotta pinch your nose and hold your breath as hard as it can be.  But so few wanted to make that sacrifice.

 

 

Nailed it.  What's worse is we keep doing it to ourselves.  Now we just give our first rounder draft picks away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like how our defense has been building.  Dumping Brodie for Valimaki next season will pay huge dividends I think, and Kylington has a lot of promise.

 

Smith played very well in the playoffs.  If not for game 5, he probably finishes near the top in save percentage, and when you give up 50 shots a game, you have to expect anyone to break down eventually.  Rittich took a nice step forward this season, and there is potential for more I believe.

 

The one thing I agree with (besides Brodie being traded) is changing the top line.  And by that I mean trading either JG or SM.  We either need a larger top flight winger who can make his own space, or a skilled center who can go into the hard areas.  Monahan has a wicked shot, but he doesn’t dig the puck out or create space for his line mates, and that’s a must for the playoffs.  I’d even be willing to trade both.  The good news is both players should have high value.  JG is probably the best or second best left winger in the game (in the regular season), and should be able to net us a very good player in return.  Minimum Nylander plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

I actually like how our defense has been building.  .........

 

............when you give up 50 shots a game,

 

You make some good points but do you see the problem here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would disagree and say we need Progression and Adjustment. not an overhaul 

 

Defense :  Lock it down with  Gio, Andersson , Hanifin , Hamonic , Kyllington and Valimaki -- resign Prout and Fantenberg -    use Stone and TJ - to fill some other needs 

Goal : I'm quite alright with Rittich as my 50-60 game starter next year -- sign Smith to a 1 year  as backup / mentor - trade Gillies , run the farm with the Russian and Parsons .. let one grow to be the new backup .. for once , this is NOT where we need to spend our money or assets this year 

 

Forward : nobody here is a "MUST- get rid of this guy"  for me, but some tweaks need to happen 

Neal-- need to really try and figure out what happened here.. this is not a Troy Brouwer , this is a guy who gets 20 a year not on top lines -- either get him a playmaking center and support your investment , or move him..I dont blame BT for this , nobody could have known how good Lindholm would look on that top line..BP kind of did , but even he said he wasn't expecting that  ..problem was , the only other center who can dish it properly that he needs is Backlund.. and Neal is NOT a checker .. Jankowksi is not the center Neal needs 

Frolik  - he's a diminishing asset -- I really hope we can revisit that Zingel trade 

Czarnik - I like him , people gotta remember he was an AHL grad . he took the step to the NHL.. looked good in flashes.. needs to take another step next year like Mang did 

Backlund-- I'm in the Keep him camp .. but .. he needs to be pushed down to the 3rd line role.. meaning we need a playmaking 2nd line center

Gaudreau -- I've said it many times, I'm open to the right trade .. a Hall , Barzal, etc.. teams in the East would likely line up for him .. Dallas may give you Seguin 

 

Our #1 need this year is a playmaking Center .. we get that and a lot falls into place . We have good trade bait to get it done -- TJ, Jankowski, Frolik, 1st round pick , etc. That should be our focus 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would disagree with firing BT. As for Johnny, I think we either trade him or get him a McKinnon like center to play with him. Monahan is not that center so either we trade Monahan or we trade them both. Johnny is my favorite player, but I can see how easily he can be shut down in the playoff if he is without his line mates support. I think this team got into a habit of sloppy defense and only to give half efforts majority of games. All the third period come back is an indication that the team will only play one third of a game and not entire game. This can not be the team next year. I think BT will be fixing this in the off season. The very first thing BT needs to do is getting rid of Brodie. I think Hamonic should play with Gio as first pair, Valimaki and Anderson as a second pair, Hanifin should play as third pair. The second thing BT must do is to get us a true #1 goalie. I believe that we need players with heart and grit but if we can't win in the regular season, there is no playoff so I think we still need a player like Johnny to get us to the playoff. Johnny is a great player and if he gets us first or second overall pick, we should do it. If we traded Johnny, we should trade Monahan, Neal, Backlund, Janko. and now we are in the tear down mode. Our first line is too soft and that have to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

I’d go with trading Monahan over Gaudreau, maybe both? Monahan can kind of create space, but once things get tight he doesn’t do much else.  I get that you gotta score goals, but we just saw over two months what happens when he’s not scoring meaningful goals. 

 

But i also think Smith played well enough to win 4 games. The team didn’t show up for 75% of the series. I might be being generous with that estimate. 

 

I like how the D is shaping up. Valamaki and Andersson are shaping up to being a top pair. 

 

I think we can build from there. I expect next year to be another set back, but hopefully Lindholm can develop a step further. 

 

But like you said, Gaudreau doesn’t have the strength, at least not to do it on his own. If you get an actual stud C or RW I think that could change. Monahan is good but because they’re way too similar in temperament, they don’t make space for themselves by being a touch mean. 

 

I think because gaudreau is such a polarizing player it looks way more of an effect when he gets shut down, but when there’s no help, it gets easier to. It’s easy to blame him.

Why would you "expect next year to be another setback" ? This team is prime go forward mode to contend on a consistent basis now. BT should be able to improve on this core not start dismantling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I would disagree and say we need Progression and Adjustment. not an overhaul 

.........

Gaudreau -- I've said it many times, I'm open to the right trade .. a Hall , Barzal, etc.. teams in the East would likely line up for him .. Dallas may give you Seguin 

 

Our #1 need this year is a playmaking Center .. we get that and a lot falls into place . We have good trade bait to get it done -- TJ, Jankowski, Frolik, 1st round pick , etc. That should be our focus 

 

Ok,  let's call a spade a spade.

 

You say just progresssion and adjustment, but you also say trade Gaudreau and get a #1 playmaking center.

 

That's a major overhaul you are asking for.    No, I don't think you go far enough, considering were were the NHL's greatest defensive post-season embarrassment, and you're talking about going even lighter on defence.   But straight up you are very gently asking for an overhaul.

 

You might get Seguin for Gaudreau, but that means a major downgrade in talent and it leaves you with nobody for him to play-make with.

 

TJ, Jankowski, Frolik, 1st round pick  - none of these will come anywhere close to getting you a #1 playmaking center imho.    You're asking for one of the least attainable positions in the game of hockey.

 

You have to give up something to get something.      To get a playoff-performing team we have to either give up a lot, or we need to accept the risk of trading for younger players, picks, and prospects.   That's the only way you come out of the trade with more than you went into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see BT as being in the top 5 GM's in the league. It wasn't BT that let us down in the playoffs.

As far as trading JG he is one of the main reasons we were in the playoffs.

My trade priorities in this order.

Neal ( Even if he was the only player dump this summer I would be happy)

Brodie (His mind has been elsewhere this and last season; it is time his body was too)

Stone (Just don't need him)

Others like Janko, Prout, Smith See Ya!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Ok,  let's call a spade a spade.

 

You say just progression and adjustment, but you also say trade Gaudreau and get a #1 playmaking center.

 

That's a major overhaul you are asking for.    No, I don't think you go far enough, considering were were the NHL's greatest defensive post-season embarrassment, and you're talking about going even lighter on defence.   But straight up you are very gently asking for an overhaul.

 

You might get Seguin for Gaudreau, but that means a major downgrade in talent and it leaves you with nobody for him to play-make with.

 

TJ, Jankowski, Frolik, 1st round pick  - none of these will come anywhere close to getting you a #1 playmaking center imho.    You're asking for one of the least attainable positions in the game of hockey, probably the most.

 

You have to give up something to get something.      To get a playoff-performing team we have to either give up a lot, or we need to accept the risk of trading for younger players, picks, and prospects.   That's the only way you come out of the trade with more than you went into it.

I get you ,  but there is a difference between being open to a trade , and shopping him . He's not an untouchable to me . I keep coming back to Hall for Gaudreau.. not sure NJ would even do it , but that to me is a win win for everybody .. Seguin would be my second choice , he's also a center .. I wouldn't call it a talent downgrade , suddenly you have your 2nd line center , Neal benefits , Tkachuk becomes your top line LW..etc..

 

There's also some very interesting names available as UFA this summer --  Dzingel, Spezza, Duchesne, Pavelski, Nelson, Lee ...  anyone like them would be a good 2nd center .. freeing you to trade the likes of Janks, Frolik , Stone , etc for other needs 

 

I'm not saying Johnny needs to be traded.. I'm just NOT saying  Don't Trade Johnny 

If all we did this offseason was Sign a #2 center , and get good pieces for TJ I would call it a successful offseason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

As far as trading JG he is one of the main reasons we were in the playoffs.

 

agreed.  but why bother getting in the playoffs if you have no way of competing in them?     Thus overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why would you "expect next year to be another setback" ? This team is prime go forward mode to contend on a consistent basis now. BT should be able to improve on this core not start dismantling.

 

Why would you take one of the most embarrasing playoff performances in the NHL, basically a complete no-show, and say "right let's build on this"?

 

just asking, serious question.    Because imho there are two types of teams.  Teams that play Better in the playoffs, and teams that play worse.    We went WAY, Way far on that parabolic curve.    And it wasn't on the side of teams that you build on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Why would you take one of the most embarrasing playoff performances in the NHL, basically a complete no-show, and say "right let's build on this"?

 

just asking, serious question.    Because imho there are two types of teams.  Teams that play Better in the playoffs, and teams that play worse.    We went WAY, Way far on that parabolic curve.    And it wasn't on the side of teams that you build on.

Listen I gave up taking you seriously years ago so don't even ask because you are clueless and know nothing about assembling a team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Why would you take one of the most embarrassing playoff performances in the NHL, basically a complete no-show, and say "right let's build on this"?

 

just asking, serious question.    Because imho there are two types of teams.  Teams that play Better in the playoffs, and teams that play worse.    We went WAY, Way far on that parabolic curve.    And it wasn't on the side of teams that you build on.

To me it comes down to experience ..

Do you know why names show up in the playoffs who don't during the season ? guys like DSP, Reaves, Cole, etc...?

 

Its because they are always in fight mode to keep their jobs ..Its the only way they play . we had no pushback all year .. we had what , a 4 game losing streak? It was easy for us .. then we hit pushback , and didnt know how to elevate , we hit a team that was playing Game 7 for over a month .. same thing happened to Tampa , and looks like it might happen to Boston , Winnipeg, San Jose

 

On the plus side , it exposed some weaknesses that only the playoffs can .. thats on  BT/BP to address 

I think we would have had better success against Dallas or LV in hindsight .. we played a weak game and shut colorado out Game 1, strolled into game 2 "This is gonna be easy " and got our butts kicked .. thought we elevated our game in Game 3 ,but still lost in OT then the panic factor set in ..   you learn from this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I would disagree and say we need Progression and Adjustment. not an overhaul 

 

Defense :  Lock it down with  Gio, Andersson , Hanifin , Hamonic , Kyllington and Valimaki -- resign Prout and Fantenberg -    use Stone and TJ - to fill some other needs 

Goal : I'm quite alright with Rittich as my 50-60 game starter next year -- sign Smith to a 1 year  as backup / mentor - trade Gillies , run the farm with the Russian and Parsons .. let one grow to be the new backup .. for once , this is NOT where we need to spend our money or assets this year 

 

Forward : nobody here is a "MUST- get rid of this guy"  for me, but some tweaks need to happen 

Neal-- need to really try and figure out what happened here.. this is not a Troy Brouwer , this is a guy who gets 20 a year not on top lines -- either get him a playmaking center and support your investment , or move him..I dont blame BT for this , nobody could have known how good Lindholm would look on that top line..BP kind of did , but even he said he wasn't expecting that  ..problem was , the only other center who can dish it properly that he needs is Backlund.. and Neal is NOT a checker .. Jankowksi is not the center Neal needs 

Frolik  - he's a diminishing asset -- I really hope we can revisit that Zingel trade 

Czarnik - I like him , people gotta remember he was an AHL grad . he took the step to the NHL.. looked good in flashes.. needs to take another step next year like Mang did 

Backlund-- I'm in the Keep him camp .. but .. he needs to be pushed down to the 3rd line role.. meaning we need a playmaking 2nd line center

Gaudreau -- I've said it many times, I'm open to the right trade .. a Hall , Barzal, etc.. teams in the East would likely line up for him .. Dallas may give you Seguin 

 

Our #1 need this year is a playmaking Center .. we get that and a lot falls into place . We have good trade bait to get it done -- TJ, Jankowski, Frolik, 1st round pick , etc. That should be our focus 

 

 

 

Who is this playmaking C we can trade for ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Who is this playmaking C we can trade for ?

Seguin does come to mind ..Getzlaf-- cant vouch for any availability or price , that's BT's job .. I certainly didn't see the Carolina trade happening before he pulled it off 

 

but TBH id start with the UFA pool 

Dzingel, Duchesne, Lee, Nelson  all come to mind 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Seguin does come to mind ..Getzlaf-- cant vouch for any availability or price , that's BT's job .. I certainly didn't see the Carolina trade happening before he pulled it off 

 

but TBH id start with the UFA pool 

Dzingel, Duchesne, Lee, Nelson  all come to mind 

 

Why would you think DAL would trade Sequin ? can't see it.

Dzingel is more a LW than a C. however e is a player I would like to see BT go for. Duchene no thx. Getzlaf to late past his BBD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

I actually like how our defense has been building.  Dumping Brodie for Valimaki next season will pay huge dividends I think, and Kylington has a lot of promise.

 

Smith played very well in the playoffs.  If not for game 5, he probably finishes near the top in save percentage, and when you give up 50 shots a game, you have to expect anyone to break down eventually.  Rittich took a nice step forward this season, and there is potential for more I believe.

 

The one thing I agree with (besides Brodie being traded) is changing the top line.  And by that I mean trading either JG or SM.  We either need a larger top flight winger who can make his own space, or a skilled center who can go into the hard areas.  Monahan has a wicked shot, but he doesn’t dig the puck out or create space for his line mates, and that’s a must for the playoffs.  I’d even be willing to trade both.  The good news is both players should have high value.  JG is probably the best or second best left winger in the game (in the regular season), and should be able to net us a very good player in return.  Minimum Nylander plus.

Top Line:  Monahan is a complementary player not a driver, and as such he needs to have a great winger, like a Mark Stone (missed opportunity) or moved to wing.  Since he is not great along the boards I'm thinking traded for someone more dynamic.  Gaudreau is suffering because he has no protection or support via both Monahan or Lindholm.  If we got that I'd keep him because he can be a game-breaker, but he can't do it all.  Failing that, trade him (ie Gaudreau-Hall).  Both Tkachuk or Bennett could be an answer to this conundrum for us except Tkachuk is too slow and Bennett has difficulty working with others..... The problem is do we need an overhaul or a tweak?  If major overhaul then you would likely go young and push success 2-3+ years down the road.  If a tweak you might try 1-2 key trades (e.g. Getzlaf or Crosby) for an older, proven guy and take your shot for the next 2-3 years.  Because our core is set for the near future and we have limited top-end prospects waiting in the wings I'm guessing the later option.

 

Goalie:  I'm fine with not re-signing Smith and going into next season with Rittich as starter and a battle between Gillies, Parsons and the new Russian goalie as back-up.

 

Defence: Brodie and Stone traded, Valimaki and Kylington in.  If we're going huge overhaul then trade Gio.  Also need a tough, hard-hitting D like an Engelland and maybe consider trading one of Kylington or Hannifin to get one.  I might try for Sergachev from TBL as he seems to have a good mix of skills and is young, or perhaps Nurse from Edmonton.  If you gave Edmonton Giordano does that get back Nurse, or perhaps Stone&Neal&Czarnik for Lucic&Nurse&Bear? 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why would you think DAL would trade Sequin ? can't see it.

Dzingel is more a LW than a C. however e is a player I would like to see BT go for. Duchene no thx. Getzlaf to late past his BBD.

it would depend , after the way the owner ripped them anything is possible 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Listen I gave up taking you seriously years ago so don't even ask because you are clueless and know nothing about assembling a team.

 

How has your playoff experience been since then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...