Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
jjgallow

This requires an overhaul, not an adjustment

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

This thread is annoying for one reason.

 

This post season performance has been annoying in general.

 

We dressed up nice, did our hair, and went to school.  When we saw the girl we liked, we froze.  We didn't even approach.  We rejected ourselves.  

 

Like, how do we know what to improve when we didn't even try?  This team didn't skate.  It's a different story if we gave it 110% and still got beat by a better team.  If we were skating and got out skated.  If we hit and got out hit.  If we took shots but got out shot.  But to not even try... That's what's so annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Meatpuppet42 said:

Ya we really need that come from behind and win attitude.

Scoring in the 3rd period would also be nice.

 

Not sure if sarcasm but I meant we didn't get it done in the post season.  During the regular season, we were the best third period team.  But once the pressure was on, man, this team just put up a pathetic effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

 

I'm with you on Carter Hart.    I do, however, feel we could get a bit more.     Carter is a huge risk.  Even though I agree.

 

It's hard when you trade a guy like Gaudreau, to get an even better player in return.

 

really hard.

 

simply because it's a short list.  but I think it could be done.      If you offer a bit more with it.  Maybe you make a push for Hughes, or similar (another prodigy available in 2020 draft)......    but now it's a multi-player deal.   It's an "overhaul".    to a point

 

By all accounts, Hughes is a homerun.  The next Patrick Kane. 

 

But trading into #1 is expensive because the most NJ is willing to move down is 1 spot.  So, it's going to cost Tkachuk to trade into #2.  Then we still have to trade #2 + Gaudreau to #1.  That's just too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

That's a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence that we'll never see again.  Flames scored similar to that in the season, but 4 goals in 1 5min PP?  Never before in NHL history?  Oh, and btw, it was a crap call.  Should have been 2 mins at most.  Nice of the refs to single-handedly screw up a series and team's future.....

For sure it was a crap call but you can't let in 4 PP goals in 5 minutes and not take the lions share of the blame. Plus they were up 3-0 in the series, let that slide too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

This post season performance has been annoying in general.

 

We dressed up nice, did our hair, and went to school.  When we saw the girl we liked, we froze.  We didn't even approach.  We rejected ourselves.  

 

Like, how do we know what to improve when we didn't even try?  This team didn't skate.  It's a different story if we gave it 110% and still got beat by a better team.  If we were skating and got out skated.  If we hit and got out hit.  If we took shots but got out shot.  But to not even try... That's what's so annoying.

 

I have no foolish belief that we tried our best.

Gio was all talk about relishing the chance, but he was one of the ones who didn't show up.

 

By not showing up, I mean failing to play the way they had all year.  I agree with your last couple of sentences.  It doesn't look like we tried.  Certainly we didn't play as a team.  Looked like they forgot how to play with the puck as well as away from it.  A couple of players do deserve some credit.  Mange, Ras, Ryan, Hathaway (costly mistake though), JH (for trying to do things without help), Hamonic (for being solid if not great), Bennett (for the hits and PP points), Smith (for his compete level).

 

I don't think the players saw the girl and froze.  Somebody told them to play hard to get.  Once the girl showed interest elsewhere, they started chasing her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

 

But.. the truth right now is to identify the collapse ....

 

 maybe only common answer is complacency.. they clinched early, coasted in, and could not turn it on . When the other team pushed , they cracked and panicked.

 

 

 

But how do we win game 1 by a score of 4-0 and then forget how to play hockey after that?

 

Complacency... Or maybe never faced adversity during the regular season.  Perhaps, partly the Pacific Division was so weak this year that we feasted on bad teams and that produced an inflated record.  Perhaps we are a 97-point team if we were in the Metro or Atlantic Division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

But how do we win game 1 by a score of 4-0 and then forget how to play hockey after that?

 

Complacency... Or maybe never faced adversity during the regular season.  Perhaps, partly the Pacific Division was so weak this year that we feasted on bad teams and that produced an inflated record.  Perhaps we are a 97-point team if we were in the Metro or Atlantic Division.

I simply think the speed and tenacity of COL's play got into their heads and they didn't play their game but tried to defend against their opponents style. Hard to win when you are trying not to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

But how do we win game 1 by a score of 4-0 and then forget how to play hockey after that?

 

Complacency... Or maybe never faced adversity during the regular season.  Perhaps, partly the Pacific Division was so weak this year that we feasted on bad teams and that produced an inflated record.  Perhaps we are a 97-point team if we were in the Metro or Atlantic Division.

In hindsight, that 4-0 game is what did us in

We didn't play great, and yet won the game .

There was no underlying motivation to elevate their game for game for game 2..and even then they almost did it again..game 3 it came unravelled . If it had to happen I'd have preferred to lose game 1.. likely a different series outcome 

Tampa lasted one period.. quick 3-0 lead, they felt they had it .

 

It's not a conscious thing, and they won't realize it unless they look deep.. but they bought the hype

They fought near the end to keep 1st and not play Vegas .  They drew Colorado and everybody..including them.. had them already pencilled in to the 2nd round . They had already won 

 

That is definitely, a learning experience .. it makes them human, but the lesson to be learned  is play every opponent like they're the best team in the league 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

I don't think the players saw the girl and froze.  Somebody told them to play hard to get.  Once the girl showed interest elsewhere, they started chasing her.

 

Lol I like your analogy better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I simply think the speed and tenacity of COL's play got into their heads and they didn't play their game but tried to defend against their opponents style. Hard to win when you are trying not to lose.

 

Definitely speed shocked everybody.  So are we not fast enough?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Definitely speed shocked everybody.  So are we not fast enough?  

I think we are plenty fast enough..we just froze 

I saw us losing puck battles, making sloppy passes , giving players like MacKinnon too much space 

Game 2 I believe it was .. johnny shoots instead of passing to a wide open Monahan.. 99/100 times he passes first 

We were playing like a team afraid to make a mistake ..instead of playing the way we played the majority of the season 

We beat that team all 3 times this year.. MacKinnon didnt get faster , we just for some reason didn't respect our opponent until it was too late 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think we are plenty fast enough..we just froze 

I saw us losing puck battles, making sloppy passes , giving players like MacKinnon too much space 

Game 2 I believe it was .. johnny shoots instead of passing to a wide open Monahan.. 99/100 times he passes first 

We were playing like a team afraid to make a mistake ..instead of playing the way we played the majority of the season 

We beat that team all 3 times this year.. MacKinnon didnt get faster , we just for some reason didn't respect our opponent until it was too late 

I dont know if it's a respect thing. After game 2 or at most game 3  they should have known what they were up against. No one knows whats said in the dressing room or between players but the team didn't adapt. I can't remember what games but there were brief times where they were controlling the play, but the Avs adjusted and fought back taking control away. Is it lack of killer instinct?  Is it "oh well I tried" attitude?  Or was it a coach that thought that the current formula was good enough?  Regardless (irregardless) the next season will be the litmus test on how close this core actually is to being a contender, coaching and mgmt included. Then maybe a blow up is warranted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Definitely speed shocked everybody.  So are we not fast enough?  

We had trouble with teams that had speed. We have a number of players that don't react well to speed 3 of which are on defense Brodie, Hamonic and Hanafin. If your forwards don't check and slow down opposing forwards your defense will have problems. Lindholm, Bennett and Hathaway are the only forwards we have that hit anyone effectively. Backlund, Frolik, Mangiapane, Czarnick and Ryan try but without good results. Monahan, Tkachuk, Neal and Jankowski lean on people but not much else. Gaudreau at the start of the season was coming back and being very effective stick checking and stealing puck but that faded away. Yes I think we could use a number of faster forwards and faster reads from our defensemen. Giordano isn't the fastest but he reads the opposition's plays well enough to get back in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

For sure it was a crap call but you can't let in 4 PP goals in 5 minutes and not take the lions share of the blame. Plus they were up 3-0 in the series, let that slide too.

As it turned out, that is true.  However the missed call was still huge and likely the reason Vegas lost.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Definitely speed shocked everybody.  So are we not fast enough?  

 

It's like a speed/muscle ratio we lacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

There was no underlying motivation to elevate their game for game for game 2..and even then they almost did it again..game 3 it came unravelled . If it had to happen I'd have preferred to lose game 1.. likely a different series outcome 

 

Ya you know what, i remember watching Game 1 thinking, this looks like a regular season game. 

 

No intensity.

No hate.

Just going through the motions.

 

And we came out Game 2 looking the same way while the Avs decided to go into playoff mode.  Do we even have a playoff mode to go into?  Mike Smith did.  Sam Bennett did.  That's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

 

It's not a conscious thing, and they won't realize it unless they look deep.. but they bought the hype

 

There's only one way to refund the purchase (fully).  We have to miss the playoffs next season.  We've been on a cycle of make it one year and miss it the next.  We are due to miss next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

There's only one way to refund the purchase (fully).  We have to miss the playoffs next season.  We've been on a cycle of make it one year and miss it the next.  We are due to miss next season.

 

If you change coaches every couple of years, then the coach in the 2nd year gets stale.

Or we got in by unsustainable stats.

 

BH was able to get an unlikely appearance in the playoff, but we were cap strapped and had terrible metrics.

Gully was lucky to have a team do just enough to get in.  

Such a bad coach, it's amazing we got in at all.

 

Much improved team this year.

Sustainable performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2019 at 11:27 PM, jjgallow said:

 

OMG you should not have showed me that lol.   I can't even.

 

He's completely checked out.  People are saying he wants out, wants to be on a US team.  No idea if it's true but that interview sure seems like it.  And his play.

 

Apologies for calling it an overhaul but Flames need to find a good deal for him and...that will be an overhaul for us.   Hopefully  a good one.

 

On 23/04/2019 at 11:20 PM, phoenix66 said:

 

 

On a side note.. not sure if I'm overreacting , but I got mad reading this.. seriously makes me wanna just ship Johnny out of town 

 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-neal-gets-reality-check-gaudreau-shrugs-off-playoff-struggles/

After reading Gio's comments (main page) about how much Johnny hated losing this series, his drive, etc. I'm thinking y'all did overreact.  I never thought he looks comfortable in interviews as it is.

Does the article change minds about Johnny at all?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally Johnny is never gonna state how he truly feels in a interview these players are Bred to put a Mask on in front of the media

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, The_Snowbear said:

Personally Johnny is never gonna state how he truly feels in a interview these players are Bred to put a Mask on in front of the media

 

You would think so.  And yet he keeps telling people about how great it would be to play for the Flyers lol.

 

In any case, I was not bred that way,

 

Buy low sell high.

 

People may see "trade Gaudreau"  as an emotional reaction.  Good.  Maybe some GMs will too.

 

His value has NEVER been this high and his inability to deliver in the playoffs has NEVER been more clear (yet).

 

It is the perfect time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

 

You would think so.  And yet he keeps telling people about how great it would be to play for the Flyers lol.

 

In any case, I was not bred that way,

 

Buy low sell high.

 

People may see "trade Gaudreau"  as an emotional reaction.  Good.  Maybe some GMs will too.

 

His value has NEVER been this high and his inability to deliver in the playoffs has NEVER been more clear (yet).

 

It is the perfect time.

Dude thats Like me Always Saying God you know i sure wish i could win the lottery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Dude thats Like me Always Saying God you know i sure wish i could win the lottery

 

Selling Gaudreau now would not be a risky move.  We would have bidders lined up.

 

His production level is Way, way higher than normal this year.    Lots of people will pay, with the assumption it can go even higher.

 

Statistically speaking that is highly unlikely.    We sell him now, we are the house.

 

We would be selling to the gamblers.  For which there are many (even at the GM level).

 

The returns would be significant  (and if i'm wrong, then for sure, you don't do it)

 

 

The ONLY reason Not to pull the trigger is emotional attachment.  To guy, who really wants to play for the Flyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont want him sold i just want more score through the lines I Honestly think neals issues had more to do with a new team new coach new system etc cause i look at Hamonic after a year as a flame and he change so much last year it was amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

 

You would think so.  And yet he keeps telling people about how great it would be to play for the Flyers lol.

 

 

Who do you think we can get from the Flyers for Gaudreau?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...