The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
jjgallow

This requires an overhaul, not an adjustment

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would move out the like of Brodie, Frolik, Janko and Bennett and the 1st rounder if we brought back a top C, a decent RW and a RHS D-man.

Why we need RHS D?  We seem okay there.

20 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Keeping the cap in mind we currently have $10,156,626 in available space next year. We have no goalies under contract, and still need to resign Chucky, Bennett, Mangiapane, and Hathaway. 

We may be able to move one or two dmen but in doing so we may not be free up space do to contracts coming back.

The most likely thing to happen will be a few pieces being added to Brodie, maybe Stone, or Jankowski. 

I truly do not want to lose Jankowski at all. Having the knowledge of our cap situation I fully expect other teams to fleece us in any move we try to make. Brodie won't bring a high return, he may bring a third line depth player or a player coming off a down year. I could see Hamonic being the one moved just because of the fact that Brodie will be cheaper on there next contracts, and Hamonic does have a higher value currently.

Stone will be hard to move. We will end up retaining salary or adding a good prospect to get something done if at all possible.

After signing Tkachuk we will have maybe 2-2.5 mil to sign Bennett, Hathaway, Mangiapane, and 2 goalies.

There will be some very angry fans in Calgary before the pre season starts and these fan pages will get lit up with every over opinionated fan like myself venting every angry or overly happy thought at what BT does. 

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

I think you are underestimating the cap space we have.  My quick look on capfirendly shows we have around 69 million committed next season, and the projected cap is around 83 million last I heard.  So that gives us a bit more wiggle room if true.

Conservatively, I think we trade Frolik and Brodie, and if we are lucky we can offload Stone.  That's almost 13 million in cap savings.  Now we have to fill the roster spots, but the good news on defense anyway is that Anderson can take brodie's spot, while Valimaki and Kylington can fight for 6th and 7th defense positions.  So now we have nearly 27 million in cap to spend.  

In an ideal world, the Brodie trade nets us Kapanen and the others bring in draft picks.  He's had only one really good season, so a bridge deal around 3 million would seem reasonable.  Tkachuk I'm assuming will fall in around 7.5-8 million.  We probably spend around 6 million on goaltending, Bennett gets 2.3, Mangiapagne 1.5, Hathaway 1.2.  At this point we have a full roster and 5 million in cap space remaining.  We could probably use a depth defender and forward as well to fill out the roster, so now there's about 3.5 million left.

1 hour ago, FlameFan4Life said:

There will be some very angry fans in Calgary before the pre season starts and these fan pages will get lit up with every over opinionated fan like myself venting every angry or overly happy thought at what BT does. 

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

I'll be rooting for a new GM unless I get blindsided by some incredibly good BT moves.   I am actually  a little shocked how much the fans love him.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would move out the like of Brodie, Frolik, Janko and Bennett and the 1st rounder if we brought back a top C, a decent RW and a RHS D-man.

How about,

To Sabres,

Brodie

Bennett

Jankowski

(Heck, throw in Frolik if the Sabres want)

To Flames,

Ristolainen (RHS RD)

Reinhart (RHS C/RW)

The Sabres are apparently not happy with Ristolainen's progression.  Namely, he is seen as a sieve and defensive liability.  I haven't watched enough to comment but we are probably talking Brodie-type liability.  So a sideways move for them defensively but they get an elite puck mover in Brodie who can play both sides.  Flames get a younger Finn to pair with Valimaki and has upside still.

Bennett, Jankowski, and Frolik give the Sabres depth to shore up the 2nd/3rd lines.  Bennett gives them the physical edge with perceived offensive upside.  Jankowski and Frolik are good PK guys.  Reinhart gives the Flames a poor man's Lindholm.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Finding a goalie is not going to be easy.

Smth is not the answer.

Don;t want to rewind the season.

2 years.

Starts like gangbusters, then falls off a cliff after being overplayed and injured.

Starts like crap and manags to play the season out on a winning record.

Been there.

I tend to agree about the affect of the goalie coach.  Rittich was fine, then was coached into playing like he doesn;t.

We may not be able to land a #1C.  Not many are for sale.  Maybe the closest is Duchene as a FA.

We could use Brodie to land a #1C.  Might have to add Bennett to the deal.

Replacing him may not be as tough as it sounds.

Myers is available, amd probably won;t get $6m.

Not that Myers is that great, but he can move and might be able to contain players better than Brodie.

Could add some a couple of mid-range guys on RW.

Donskoi is headed to be a UFA.

As is Connolly.

I don;t think we have to go crazy and dump the lot.  Replace Brodie, Frolik and maybe Janko and Bennett.

Add in a couple RHS, including one on D.

Just some random thoughts.  I don;t think we need to blow it up.  Add some guys with some playoffs heart maybe.

As frustrating as it is watching Backlund in the playoffs, the alternative is to trade him for an offensive C.

Then you still need that guy to play the hard minutes.

I wasn;t impressed with his playoffs.

Oops.  More randoms thoughts.  

Goalies:  We have a goalie in Rittich, who was top-notch until he was injured at the end of 2018.  Adding another 1B youngish vet, like Lehner(UFA) might be beneficial.  We did not bomb out in the playoffs because of our goalies, no matter how determinedly certain people on here beat that drum.  I would move on from Smith as I think we should be continuing to build for the future.

1C/RW: I have been suggesting Monahan wasn't enough for our 1C for several years.  We should keep him and move him to 1RW, although if we could have landed and signed Stone to 1RW that might have worked with Gaudreau and Monahan.  Internally, we don't have the right guy.  I would be open to trading Monahan for a more dynamic guy.  Of all possibly available 1C candidates I would say, in order of preference, Getzlaf, Malkin, Point(RFA), Duchene(UFA) and Hayes(UFA).  I might be willing to pick up both Getzlaf and Perry which might address both our 1C and RW issues, though not for the LT.... 3-5 years max.  People hate those guys and for good reason, they are tough, mean and proven winners.  They might be had for relatively cheap.  I would give up Monahan and Jankowski.  Any of Point, Duchene or Hayes would be a bonus.  I would also look to Winnipeg and try to pick up Trouba for Hamonic.  I would also approach NYR and try to pick up Brendan Lemieux, and be open to the Frolik(+...) for Zucker deal.  Finally TML's Kapanen is intriguing, an offer sheet might work there.  Dreaming, but could we get either of Alex Tuch(VGK) or Athanassiou(DET).... both big, tough fast with offensive upside.

D: On D I would be trading Brodie(+) and trying to pick up a tougher D-man a la Ristolainen or Nurse. Anderson and Valimaki are off limits and I'd keep Kylington for his speed as a 7D.  

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Why we need RHS D?  We seem okay there.

We really only have Andersson and Hamonic.  Brodie is not one and moving him for a 2nd or 3rd pairing RHS RD makes some sense.

I like Andersson's ability, but pairing him with Gio may be overkill.  I would prefer to ease him into top pairing minutes.

If we could convert Fantenberg or Kylington to RD, then it's not an issue.

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Goalies:  We have a goalie in Rittich, who was top-notch until he was injured at the end of 2018.  Adding another 1B youngish vet, like Lehner(UFA) might be beneficial.  We did not bomb out in the playoffs because of our goalies, no matter how determinedly certain people on here beat that drum.  I would move on from Smith as I think we should be continuing to build for the future.

1C/RW: I have been suggesting Monahan wasn't enough for our 1C for several years.  We should keep him and move him to 1RW, although if we could have landed and signed Stone to 1RW that might have worked with Gaudreau and Monahan.  Internally, we don't have the right guy.  I would be open to trading Monahan for a more dynamic guy.  Of all possibly available 1C candidates I would say, in order of preference, Getzlaf, Malkin, Point(RFA), Duchene(UFA) and Hayes(UFA).  I might be willing to pick up both Getzlaf and Perry which might address both our 1C and RW issues, though not for the LT.... 3-5 years max.  People hate those guys and for good reason, they are tough, mean and proven winners.  They might be had for relatively cheap.  I would give up Monahan and Jankowski.  Any of Point, Duchene or Hayes would be a bonus.  I would also look to Winnipeg and try to pick up Trouba for Hamonic.  I would also approach NYR and try to pick up Brendan Lemieux, and be open to the Frolik(+...) for Zucker deal.  Finally TML's Kapanen is intriguing, an offer sheet might work there.  Dreaming, but could we get either of Alex Tuch(VGK) or Athanassiou(DET).... both big, tough fast with offensive upside.

D: On D I would be trading Brodie(+) and trying to pick up a tougher D-man a la Ristolainen or Nurse. Anderson and Valimaki are off limits and I'd keep Kylington for his speed as a 7D.  

We didn't lose because of goalies, but then again we didn't win any games (other than game 1 where we scored 4 and let in zero) because of Smith.

Put him in front of Caroline and they would have been out.

Just an observation of the quality of goalies we have in the playoffs.

I would be open to Duchene, but as the #2 guy.  You don't give up a top duo that reached remarkable heights in scoring because they didn't perform in the playoffs.

You add to the 2nd wave, which did not exist for us.

Backlund played too many minutes and did nothing with them.

Think about this:

JH-Mony-?

Tkachuk-Duchene-?

?-Backlund-?

?-Ryan-?

The top two lines drive offense.  The bottom two provide 200 feet play.

We had 1 line of offense and 3 lines that platooned offense.

Shut one down and we use the others to shut them down.

We could fill in some of the holes by trading Brodie and Frolik and Bennett and Janko.  We still have 90% of the scoring from the forwards.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We really only have Andersson and Hamonic.  Brodie is not one and moving him for a 2nd or 3rd pairing RHS RD makes some sense.

I like Andersson's ability, but pairing him with Gio may be overkill.  I would prefer to ease him into top pairing minutes.

Prout was steady this season and shouldn't be expensive to bring back.  Fantenberg same story.  We also still have Stone who is tough to trade.  I get it from a future perspective but in the immediate, we good for one more year.  

I wouldn't be opposed to trading away any of the guys you mentioned but it just seems there's no need.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What about if we traded Lindholm for Hamilton?

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I thought Andersson played his better hockey with Giordano so I would keep him there. Scary thought but they could move Brodie to play RS with Valimaki and have a veteran in each pairing, same cost.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, ABC923 said:

I think you are underestimating the cap space we have.  My quick look on capfirendly shows we have around 69 million committed next season, and the projected cap is around 83 million last I heard.  So that gives us a bit more wiggle room if true.

Conservatively, I think we trade Frolik and Brodie, and if we are lucky we can offload Stone.  That's almost 13 million in cap savings.  Now we have to fill the roster spots, but the good news on defense anyway is that Anderson can take brodie's spot, while Valimaki and Kylington can fight for 6th and 7th defense positions.  So now we have nearly 27 million in cap to spend.  

In an ideal world, the Brodie trade nets us Kapanen and the others bring in draft picks.  He's had only one really good season, so a bridge deal around 3 million would seem reasonable.  Tkachuk I'm assuming will fall in around 7.5-8 million.  We probably spend around 6 million on goaltending, Bennett gets 2.3, Mangiapagne 1.5, Hathaway 1.2.  At this point we have a full roster and 5 million in cap space remaining.  We could probably use a depth defender and forward as well to fill out the roster, so now there's about 3.5 million left.

This all sounds good but it hinges on us not taking any contracts back, us trading what we don't want for draft picks, and expecting us not to spend more than 6 million in goal.

In addition I believe Bennettt gets more than 2.3 (closer to 3 mil), Hathaway gets atleast 1.75 and we as a whole need to stop making plans that involve a guess about the cap rising. So Mang at 1.5, Bennett at 3, Hathaway at say 1.5, and Tkachuk at 8 mill. If we add this up add go with the low estimate of 6 mil in net you got 24-25 mil add only 10 mil in space. We then need to dump 13-15 mil while taking not a penny back. GOOOOD LUCK

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Prout was steady this season and shouldn't be expensive to bring back.  Fantenberg same story.  We also still have Stone who is tough to trade.  I get it from a future perspective but in the immediate, we good for one more year.  

I wouldn't be opposed to trading away any of the guys you mentioned but it just seems there's no need.

I was not meaning convert to be trading.

Brodie can be moved, but not necessarily for a D.

I wouldn't trade him for a RHS of a lesser D.

Stone will probably be bought out, considering he is below the others already on the depth chart.

I think it is often hard to trade for the same position...D for D, etc.     

I tend to like those trades more where each team is trading from a position of strength to get a position of weakness.

but it's not a hard and fast rule by any means