Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2019 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This Pelletier is good, gonna be a good pick. Produced like crazy on a Moncton team that wasn’t very good 

 

Much like Monahan then? Wasn’t he a winner in Ottawa? We love winners. 

 

God, always smaller players. Smallest team in the league. Leaning towards not liking the vision of this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the pick..may be small but sounds like he has snarl. Wasn't first on my radar but not a reach by any means 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Much like Monahan then? Wasn’t he a winner in Ottawa? We love winners. 

 

God, always smaller players. Smallest team in the league. Leaning towards not liking the vision of this team.

Gotta keep in mind, by the time Pelletier is an NHLer, Johnny might be gone, this kid is a play driver which will be needed if we lose 13

 

We aren’t the only team to pass on Kaliyev, there’s red flags.

 

Trust the scouts

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the pick. Of those forwards from the mid 20s and on, I would have picked Tomasino first, but Pelletier is a very good player and probably the best remaining at the Flames spot. Everyone here has warts but of the Lavoie, Kaliyev, Suzuki group Jakob Pelletier has the lowest level of concern over some part of his game, while still having top 6 forward upside.

 

He's got high upside and immediately becomes the best forward prospect in the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lavoie and Kalyiev have serious concerns with effort level.

 

Suzuki is not very good and is afraid to get in the guts of the game, he is a perimeter player.

 

Pelletier is a competitor, he is a 200 foot player and has some very good offensive upside. He is smaller but he will be like a Marchand, Schwartz or Gallagher. He will go to the dirty areas and not back down. Really like the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Gotta keep in mind, by the time Pelletier is an NHLer, Johnny might be gone, this kid is a play driver which will be needed if we lose 13

 

We aren’t the only team to pass on Kaliyev, there’s red flags.

 

Trust the scouts

 

I guess I should wait and see but I don’t think what we’ve seen so far is working. 

 

I think we won the west beyond all ofds and had no right to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Much like Monahan then? Wasn’t he a winner in Ottawa? We love winners. 

 

God, always smaller players. Smallest team in the league. Leaning towards not liking the vision of this team.

 

Good players with skill and size that are generally gimmes don't really drop this low.

 

Always BPA, if that's a smaller guy then so be it and you can move pieces around later. There's no benefit to getting size if it doesn't come with smarts or competitiveness or skating or some combo of the 3.

 

EDIT: I might rag on Monahan sometimes but as far as value for his draft pick, he's very much a home run at 6. There aren't many guys drafted after him that I would take over him. The only 2 I would even think about are Bo Horvat, taken 10th and Josh Morrissey, who was picked 13th.

 

Drafting Monahan wasn't the problem, it was developing Monahan that is, and luckily there's still time to fix that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

I like the pick. Of those forwards from the mid 20s and on, I would have picked Tomasino first, but Pelletier is a very good player and probably the best remaining at the Flames spot. Everyone here has warts but of the Lavoie, Kaliyev, Suzuki group Jakob Pelletier has the lowest level of concern over some part of his game, while still having top 6 forward upside.

 

He's got high upside and immediately becomes the best forward prospect in the system.

 

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Lavoie and Kalyiev have serious concerns with effort level.

 

Suzuki is not very good and is afraid to get in the guts of the game, he is a perimeter player.

 

Pelletier is a competitor, he is a 200 foot player and has some very good offensive upside. He is smaller but he will be like a Marchand, Schwartz or Gallagher. He will go to the dirty areas and not back down. Really like the player.

 

Thanks.  I feel better.

 

But still... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

I like the pick. Of those forwards from the mid 20s and on, I would have picked Tomasino first, but Pelletier is a very good player and probably the best remaining at the Flames spot. Everyone here has warts but of the Lavoie, Kaliyev, Suzuki group Jakob Pelletier has the lowest level of concern over some part of his game, while still having top 6 forward upside.

 

He's got high upside and immediately becomes the best forward prospect in the system.

Glad you came out, this is your time of year. I have learned to appreciate your opinion when it comes to evaluating talent and potential.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Glad you came out, this is your time of year. I have learned to appreciate your opinion when it comes to evaluating talent and potential.

 

gopher-pocket-gopher-shutterstock-com_13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Much like Monahan then? Wasn’t he a winner in Ottawa? We love winners. 

 

God, always smaller players. Smallest team in the league. Leaning towards not liking the vision of this team.

its no longer about size.. I wouldn't have complained if we drafted Jack Hughes .. he's only 5'10  170

 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No trades so Sportsnet is now reporting on rumours... Wow.

ya if i recall last year was a yawner for deals on day 1 too.. then it broke open on day 2. BT sounded like he has irons in the fire 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we can add a 2nd, but doubt it. I expect the remaining picks the Flames have to be spent on a goalie and D, considering all of last seasons picks were forwards.

 

Pelletier’s RW Jeremy Mckenna could be available in the mid to late rounds. Right shot, 97 points. Could be a sleeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

 

actually thats impressive .. he does like the dirty areas , you never see Johnny in there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

its no longer about size.. I wouldn't have complained if we drafted Jack Hughes .. he's only 5'10  170

 

I find the complaints about size a little funny.  This our first 1st rounder under 6' since Sven.  The problem isn't drafting guys like Mangiapane and Phillips in the 6th round or Gaudreau in the 4th, the problem is everyone with size drafted in later rounds haven't worked and there have been several (Smith, Carroll, Kanzig, Bruce, Karnauhkov, Joly).  I'm fine with the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I love the pick.   Personally.     

 

He was the best available player.  Our concerns about position are entirely irrelevant, he has the most upside, the best likelihood, of become a premiere NHL player.  When you pick in the first round you're not going for an "average" NHLer.   those are available at any time.

 

You're looking for a difference maker.  Pelletier was the best chance at that.

 

 

Should we have traded up?  Probably.   But oh well.

 

Does this mean that I think Pelletier will take us to the promised land?  no.   Gaudreau was a fantastic draft pick.    He's not fantastic in the playoffs, and really should have been traded.

 

My only concern here, is that the Flames may not be thinking the way I am with BPA.  They're thinking, size doesn't matter.   And this year's playoffs was "an exception".   This....continues to worry me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Lavoie, Kaliyev, Suzuki  available and we take #@#$#@#

exactly!!! I'm Pissed!! And I was born and raised in Moncton... Here we go with another freakin Gelinas poutine licker!!! Are we just drafting trolls in the hope that one day they'll grow up to be midgets??? he's a small player playing in the no hit QMJHL .. he'll never make it inside the blue line of an NHL team without getting smeared like maple syrup on a snowball.Jeesssussss!! I hate these Treliving good guy to take to church with your grandma type players!! What ta waste of a first round pick!!! Look at the guy the Bruins took.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horsman1 said:

exactly!!! I'm Pissed!! And I was born and raised in Moncton... Here we go with another freakin Gelinas poutine licker!!! Are we just drafting trolls in the hope that one day they'll grow up to be midgets??? he's a small player playing in the no hit QMJHL .. he'll never make it inside the blue line of an NHL team without getting smeared like maple syrup on a snowball.Jeesssussss!! I hate these Treliving good guy to take to church with your grandma type players!! What ta waste of a first round pick!!! Look at the guy the Bruins took.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 

 

Would you have taken Lavoie instead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

Would you have taken Lavoie instead? 

probably not.. I would have traded with one of our contracts we have to dump as incentive.. for draft picks next year 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

probably not.. I would have traded with one of our contracts we have to dump as incentive.. for draft picks next year 

 

 

Better than Brett Leason though I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Much like Monahan then? Wasn’t he a winner in Ottawa? We love winners. 

 

God, always smaller players. Smallest team in the league. Leaning towards not liking the vision of this team.

 

BT said he was blown away by Pelletier during interviews.  He asked Pelletier why the Flames should draft him and Pelletier replied, "because we will win the Cup".

 

But it seems, the guy has never won anything in Juniors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

exactly!!! I'm Pissed!! And I was born and raised in Moncton... Here we go with another freakin Gelinas poutine licker!!! Are we just drafting trolls in the hope that one day they'll grow up to be midgets??? he's a small player playing in the no hit QMJHL .. he'll never make it inside the blue line of an NHL team without getting smeared like maple syrup on a snowball.Jeesssussss!! I hate these Treliving good guy to take to church with your grandma type players!! What ta waste of a first round pick!!! Look at the guy the Bruins took.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 

 

What are you talking about? Sure he might be small, but he competes hard, his compareables are Brad Marchand, Brendan Gallagher, Travis Konecny and Jaden Schwartz. I would take all of those guys on my team any day. 

 

If you look at the Blues all their size at forward was in bottom 6. Schenn and O'Reilly were there biggest guys in the top 6 at 6'1".

 

The QMJHL has become a much more physical and isn't the no hit league anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

What are you talking about? Sure he might be small, but he competes hard, his compareables are Brad Marchand, Brendan Gallagher, Travis Konecny and Jaden Schwartz. I would take all of those guys on my team any day. 

 

If you look at the Blues all their size at forward was in bottom 6. Schenn and O'Reilly were there biggest guys in the top 6 at 6'1".

 

The QMJHL has become a much more physical and isn't the no hit league anymore.

I hope and pray that you're right and I'm wrong... but we're stuck with him now.. My major complaint is we're not drafting players with hockey menall toughness we're acquiring Choir boys

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...